• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Joe Cole to QPR/West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Guardian-series.co.uk are reporting that West Ham are close to signing Joe Cole from Liverpool. The England international has 18 months left on his contract at Anfield, but it appears he'll be returning to the club where he made his name.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/1754?cc=5901

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Joe Cole is one of those "could have been" type of players. Similar to Harry Kewell for us. Injuries have taken a massive toll on his knees in particular it seems. Hopefully West Ham will take him and we wont have to pay him shed loads to leave.
These "free" signings always seem to cost us a fortune.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I hate redknapp. I would never in my sense sell to him. On this one, i would pass. Unless lille make a similar offer. down down down for you arry! karma is a bitch.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Lee Clayton ‏@LeeClayton_

Joe Cole having his medical at West Ham is confirmed. Debut v Manchester United on Saturday if all goes to plan.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
the BBC pre match thread says

"There has been plenty of chat surrounding the future of Reds midfielder Joe Cole, and BBC Sport understands that he is currently having a medical at West Ham with a view to a permanent move back to his first club.

He can't join West Ham on loan as they already have Andy Carroll - but QPR are also interested in a deal. Watch this space..."

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
"Joe Cole: West Ham set to sign Liverpool midfielder

Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole is set to join former club West Ham United on a permanent deal.

The 31-year-old is understood to have travelled to London for a medical with Sam Allardyce's Hammers after Liverpool accepted an offer for the player.

However, should the deal fall through, Queens Park Rangers are also interested in the player.

Cole has struggled to impress at Anfield following a free transfer move from Chelsea in 2010.

The former England international spent last season on loan at French club Lille.

Any move to West Ham would have to be made permanent because the London club already have striker Andy Carroll on loan from Liverpool.

Cole, though, would be available on a free transfer as Liverpool are prepared to cancel his contract and negotiate a settlement.

The player came through the youth ranks at Upton Park before moving to Chelsea for £6.6m in 2003.

He won three Premier League titles and two FA Cups in a seven-year stay with the Blues.

After failing to agree a new contract he moved to Merseyside but he has not been able to enjoy the same impact and has made just six substitute appearances this season."

from the bbc website

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers on Joe Cole's future: "I spoke to Joe earlier. He is a really good lad and has been brilliant during my time here in terms of as a human being. He is obviously speaking with West Ham at the moment and if they can get something organised it will be a terrific move for Joe."

QPR boss Harry Redknapp has just said that he tried to sign Joe Cole this morning but "he is going home to West Ham."

Both from the BBC match thread, looks like a done deal.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Good move all round, gets him off our books and his heart has always been at West Ham, I'm sure he'll love playing regularly for his old club and I wish him well.

abcd

3 million payoff (if true) is hugely dissapointing not just in terms of the money but in terms of principle. It is a further indication of player power gone mad.

Hopefully the club will learn their lesson from this and other debacles and be more careful in future with contracts.

I know Liverpool want him off the books but the club should have held their ground a bit more and offered him the move to West Ham or QPR or train with the kids for the next 6 months.

If Cole had any level of self-respect he'd leave for nothing and take the much reduced salary offered to him by West Ham as a gesture towards the club who invested so much in him.

SF Red

TIA Regular
3 million payoff (if true) is hugely dissapointing not just in terms of the money but in terms of principle. It is a further indication of player power gone mad.

Hopefully the club will learn their lesson from this and other debacles and be more careful in future with contracts.

I know Liverpool want him off the books but the club should have held their ground a bit more and offered him the move to West Ham or QPR or train with the kids for the next 6 months.

If Cole had any level of self-respect he'd leave for nothing and take the much reduced salary offered to him by West Ham as a gesture towards the club who invested so much in him.
In reality - a 3m payoff is a great deal for the club. You can say what you want about Cole - I do agree with you a bit, but that is not reality. The wages that he is entitled to because of his contract are much more than that (prob around 7m for 18 months). If we are paying only 3 of that, that is a great deal. I think the club has learned from this (and other mistakes of the past).

irishdazzler

I agree that £3.6m is better than paying the £7.2m for seeing out his remaining contract but it just galls me that a player has the power to demand money to move

It also galls me that we were daft enough to pay him £100k a week JUST because he was a free transfer

It sickens me the amount of money that flows through our game, whether it be to players or agents or just the shady middle men.

But, what can I do? I love watching it, I just feel its not my game any more, and i just feel that it never will be again. It will never be the game that it was in the 70s and 80s

Its a shame

Kennysgoldenass

Lovrens in the air.
Awesome news.
Chuffed to bits.
I would wish him all the best but i don't like the fat smoking tit so i won't.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I agree that £3.6m is better than paying the £7.2m for seeing out his remaining contract but it just galls me that a player has the power to demand money to move

It also galls me that we were daft enough to pay him £100k a week JUST because he was a free transfer

It sickens me the amount of money that flows through our game, whether it be to players or agents or just the shady middle men.

But, what can I do? I love watching it, I just feel its not my game any more, and i just feel that it never will be again. It will never be the game that it was in the 70s and 80s

Its a shame
Top post there. These guys earn way too much for doing fuck all.
Have we ever bar Gary Mc Allister signed a free agent who was worth a dam. Voronin, Cole, was Kewell a free?
And then we pay them mega money as a salary and then to leave. I hope this is not a mistake Brendan makes again. Give these guys a small wage then pay as you play deals if you must.
How much football has freeagent Michael Owen played this season?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Disappointed it didn't work out for him here, he was a player I always liked from when he broke through at West Ham, but by the time we got him he just couldn't cut it physically any more. Pretty glad he's going, one less drain on our resources that will hopefully be put to better use.

Ah well.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Top post there. These guys earn way too much for doing fuck all.
Have we ever bar Gary Mc Allister signed a free agent who was worth a dam. Voronin, Cole, was Kewell a free?
And then we pay them mega money as a salary and then to leave. I hope this is not a mistake Brendan makes again. Give these guys a small wage then pay as you play deals if you must.
How much football has freeagent Michael Owen played this season?
Great move if true. He rarely even makes the bench and will free up about 4M to use elsewhere. Not saying he's a bad guy, but no loss to the Club.

Add Degen and Ivanovic to your bad free transfer list.

Add Bellamy and Maxi to the good list.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
This may well be the best bit of transfer business we've done for a couple of years!

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Over the last decade:

Mauricio Pellegrino
Robbie Fowler
Boudewijn Zenden
Fabio Aurelio
Maxi Rodriguez
Craig Bellamy

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Over the last decade:

Mauricio Pellegrino
Robbie Fowler
Boudewijn Zenden
Fabio Aurelio
Maxi Rodriguez
Craig Bellamy
Ill give you Bellamy and Maxi. Robbie I would have just because hes one of our own free or not.
Fabio, lovely player but would get hurt playing tiddly winks.

OhYaBeauty

It could be worse. We could be paying 7 million to send him off...

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
Rodgers backs Cole's West Ham move

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that Joe Cole is on the brink of an emotional return to his first club West Ham.

Rodgers said a return to Upton Park would be a 'terrific move' for the 31-year-old, who has failed to make his mark since joining Liverpool from Chelsea in the summer of 2010.

"I spoke to Joe a couple of times earlier and he was talking with West Ham," Rodgers said. "He is a really good lad and has been brilliant during my time here. Hopefully they can get it sorted out."

Cole would receive a hero's welcome if he was to finish his career in West Ham colours, with the Upton Park faithful never losing their respect for the player who emerged through their ranks in a blaze of glory back in 1998.

Not even his move to London rivals Chelsea could dilute the affection Hammers fans have for Cole, with the England international receiving a warm welcome on his return to the Boleyn Ground since his departure.

His move to West Ham will scupper Harry Redknapp's hopes of bringing Cole to QPR and the Rangers boss has admitted his disappointment at failing to sign the midfielder.

"I lost a player who I tried to sign today," Redknapp said. "I like Joe. I had been talking [to try and get the transfer done] today, the last two weeks really.

"I thought he was coming for sure, then West Ham came in. He's West Ham, I understand. He's going back home. I wish him all the best."

It is understood Cole had a medical at Upton Park on Wednesday night, with the transfer likely to be confirmed on Thursday.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1286532/rodgers-backs-coles-west-ham-move?cc=5901

If I'm dreaming, do not wake me.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Best solution all round I believe

It's more a case of minimizing our losses as best we could here. I liked the bloke but the player was destroyed by a cruciate injury before he came here. Though at a smaller club where he can play every week, if he can stay fit he could still offer something, but here we needed something younger, pacier and fitter and he was earning way too much just to play once a month

TassieRed

TIA Regular
If he really is going then good luck to him.

It just didn't work out for him here. Never really heard him moan much either. And to have the chance to go back to the club which kick started your career would be pretty emotional.

All the best Joe.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
This is close to being done. Just traveled to London for a medical with West Ham!

This is from the BBC:

Any move to West Ham would have to be made permanent because the London club already have striker Andy Carroll on loan from Liverpool. Cole, though, would be available on a free transfer as Liverpool are prepared to cancel his contract and negotiate a settlement.

Rodgers added: "I spoke to Joe earlier. He is a really good lad and has been brilliant during my time here."

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Well atleast we saved 4 million.
Good luck to him.Wasted a lot of our money, but sometimes things don't work.Atleast he behaved well(I find it hard to be mean on days we win).

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Ill give you Bellamy and Maxi. Robbie I would have just because hes one of our own free or not.
Fabio, lovely player but would get hurt playing tiddly winks.
Mauricio Pellegrino has played a great role in implementing Rafa's defensive system ... Robbie Fowler has scored 12 goals over the 18 months that he was back with us ... Boudewijn Zenden has played a pretty solid role in Rafa's system ... Fabio Aurelio was a great player, and has had some great performances with us, but unfortunately he was very injury prone ... Maxi Rodriguez and Craig Bellamy are still very good players ... All of these Bosmans were good signings for us ...

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Sometimes, good things happen all at once..new striker in, out of form 90k per week in wages midfielder leaves albeit with a 3 million quid pay-off, etc etc..

Oh well, it's all for the better. I hope.

Now, if we can just find 1-2 world class players who can transform this team back into the champions league chasing squad!

Arminius

FSG PR plant

Treating a player poorly simply because he has not been capable of performing at the hoped for level is a disastrous approach. Bad enough that it creates further division in the squad, but any future transfer will look to the club's willingness to disregard contracts with real concern.If we made him rot until June, we still end up paying him the 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.