• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Joe Cole to QPR/West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
It could have been the case that Joe Cole was in demand and we wanted to keep him as he had become the sort of player we hoped we had signed, instead we want him out the door and off the books. Joe has obliged, taken a golden handshake which he could have gotten more from and moved on to try kickstart his career again.

Best of luck to him, there isn't a red fan out there that wasn't as gutted as he must have been at how poor his time was at LFC on the pitch.

I hope he can play a leading role at west ham, but I also hope he never hurts us like he so often did as an opponent in the past.

LiVeRp0oL89

1249:
FOOTBALL LATEST
West Ham have completed the signing of Joe Cole from Liverpool, says talkSPORT.

They claim Cole, 31, has agreed a two-and-a-half year contract at Upton Park, on around £30,000 a-week, with Liverpool paying him £50,000 a week for the remaining 18-months of his deal at Anfield.

From the BBC Sport website. If those figures are right, that's nearly £4 million were paying off to get rid of him. Ouch.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
1249:
FOOTBALL LATEST
West Ham have completed the signing of Joe Cole from Liverpool, says talkSPORT.

They claim Cole, 31, has agreed a two-and-a-half year contract at Upton Park, on around £30,000 a-week, with Liverpool paying him £50,000 a week for the remaining 18-months of his deal at Anfield.

From the BBC Sport website. If those figures are right, that's nearly £4 million were paying off to get rid of him. Ouch.
I hope that's the same thing as the reported £3m payoff.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Unnecessary reactions from fans again. I believe Joe Cole got a firm hand on us getting into Europa knock-out rounds (with that 1 goal and one assist against YB). Then scored us that crucial goal to bring out come back and earned 3 points from Westham.

Still think all these paying-off cash is bs. Why do we have to save 1.5 mil a year by selling him (if we still have to pay the 50/80k of his wage) and thin our squad further? BR do rate him, and he played 11 games for us this season (some last minute sub through) scored 2 and assisted 1. Still better option and contribute more than unready youngster like Morgan or Yesin

ptt

2020, head of the table.
We save about £30k a week on wages and about £300k a week on physios, scans, doctors, gym equipment and unused new kits.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Good Luck to him.

Don't like him but don't hate him either, just another former player that didn't work out for us, although he was a bloody expensive player, he still has the honour to say he played for the greatest club in the world

S

Sgt. Pepper

This seems unofficially official but officially unofficial. Just a matter of time.

Toro

Florida Red
Best of luck to you, Joe. Hope you do well. Hope you set up Andy for 10 goals during the rest of the season!

scouseheadross

Septical
Before people are too nice about Joe Cole, remember that for the next 18 months he'll be taking home the equivalent of 1,500 match tickets every week and all that lucre is paid for by normal working class supporters.

Should we blame him? Clearly the fault lies with the idiots (Purslow this time) that offered him a £90k/week contract, without any performance based clauses...... plus the £6m signing on fee.

But if he was a nice bloke with morals, he'd accept that he wasn't keeping his side of the contract and would have resigned. Instead he hangs out for a massive payoff before leaving the club. No wonder the little cnt is smiling.

Football seems increasingly detached from the real world us fans have to live in!

IMO he was never any better than Yossi Benayoun, who we let go for a pittance at the same time.

irishdazzler

Yep, good luck Joe. I always rated you from your first few years at West Ham - but I think your best days are behind you now.

I personally thing Chelsea ruined him - as they have done with a few players that need nurturing.

but this is the best move for him. Get back to where you know and love, and are loved and play away the last few years of your playing days

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
FSG have saved loads of wages, and they have done well in that sense. Lets hope some of it could be reinvested in the FIRST team.
Bye Bye Joey boy, probably be so good at west Ham we get him in on a Bosmann,,,,,,

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Awful signing on a player I'm not sure will ever get his form back but good luck to him and I wish him well the only thing I ever had against him was his wages (The fault of others), at least if it's 40k he still won't be playing for us but at a level most of the other squad are on.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Yep, good luck Joe. I always rated you from your first few years at West Ham - but I think your best days are behind you now.

I personally thing Chelsea ruined him - as they have done with a few players that need nurturing.

but this is the best move for him. Get back to where you know and love, and are loved and play away the last few years of your playing days
I read something earlier today that suggested Jose ruined him at chelsea by insisting he lacked the discipline to play in his side. Of course Chelsea won plenty under Jose so he could have been right. I always hated seeing Cole coming on when we played them because I just knew he would score if he got a chance.

scouseheadross

Septical
Unnecessary reactions from fans again. I believe Joe Cole got a firm hand on us getting into Europa knock-out rounds (with that 1 goal and one assist against YB). Then scored us that crucial goal to bring out come back and earned 3 points from Westham......
£90k a week over 18 months = £1.35m (Ok, so Lille might have contributed a little)

Sum total of 5 goals = £270k per goal, does not represent very good value for money in my eyes, even if one was a winner at the Boleyn ground.

I read something earlier today that suggested Jose ruined him at chelsea by insisting he lacked the discipline to play in his side.
Mourinho didn't rate him, neither did Ancellotti or Capello play him. Hodgson meanwhile thought he was a class act.... like Poulsen and Koncheski!

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
A horrible signing which I was very excited about when it happened. Best of luck to him, but it was a really bad one.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
£90k a week over 18 months = £1.35m (Ok, so Lille might have contributed a little)

Sum total of 5 goals = £270k per goal, does not represent very good value for money in my eyes, even if one was a winner at the Boleyn ground.
If it was 'just' 1.35M, I'd be less pleased to get rid of the millstone he has been. That would have been a reasonable outlay for a veteran off the bench.Check your math, 18 months = 78 weeks, in that time he was paid over 7M. You better have enjoyed those goals, they cost 1.4M apiece.

scouseheadross

Septical
If it was 'just' 1.35M, I'd be less pleased to get rid of the millstone he has been. That would have been a reasonable outlay for a veteran off the bench.Check your math, 18 months = 78 weeks, in that time he was paid over 7M. You better have enjoyed those goals, they cost 1.4M apiece.
Oops.... schoolboy error on my part.... your correct version is even worse! Should we include the £6m sign on fee in the figures too?!? That would push it up to £2.5m per goal!!!!!

The bottom line is that we have to have some kind of performance/appearance related pay to stop this ever happening again. Fair enough players need paying if injured, but a basic wage would handle that.

And what about players having some morals?! I can understand them having short careers etc, but you're not telling me Joe Cole needs £90k a week to survive. He could have easily resigned - like anyone in the real world finding themselves in over their head - and still picked up £30k a week from the Hammers. Hardly going to leave him on the breadline. A mere £1.5m a year would happily set most of us up for life!

reddutchman

red. rouge. rojo.
Just never really got his Anfield career off the ground. warm wishes, and best of luck as west ham, nip some points off the teams ahead of us yeah? lest you can do mate to earn that golden farewell.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Has his contract been cancelled or will we still be making up the bulk of his salary?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Has his contract been cancelled or will we still be making up the bulk of his salary?
Haven't seen anything official, but all of the reports have LFC paying him more than the Hammers will over the next 18 months.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Haven't seen anything official, but all of the reports have LFC paying him more than the Hammers will over the next 18 months.
Yep, sounds like us. So the puffy white cloud has a lead lining then.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Yep, sounds like us. So the good news has a lead lining then.
Hard to get too fussed, we always knew it was going to play out like this, there was no way he would walk away from the value of his contract, nor would any other club take it on. This deal is just damage reduction.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Its a sad day when he leaves the club,

That slightly overweight 31 year old carried my dreams. I told myself as long as he gets paid 90K a week, gets to put on a red shirt and even score at Anfield, one day I too could defy all logic and become a Liverpool player.

With him gone my warrior shirt simply shows I am a fan, rather a potential player Rodgers picks out of the crowd during an injury crisis.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Well it seems the deal is done then. My feeling is that he would have performed better with Redknapp and QPR trying to play some decent football, rather than with the route-1 football style of Allardyce's boys, but we'll see.

I haven't too many bad feelings towards him. He was a mismatch from day 1, when he got that red card against Arsenal, and never recovered from this. Injuries took their toll as well. But he always kept a good attitude, didn't moan, even when sent out on loan, and did quite well for us when called upon in recent times.

The interesting thing is that we are one man short among creative midfielders now. Who will come in to replace Joe? Or will BR trust in Shelvey/Suso/Henderson to do the job? Or will he put Suarez behind the lone striker who would be Sturridge in that case?

Many interesting questions which will find their answers in the coming weeks...

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
The interesting thing is that we are one man short among creative midfielders now. Who will come in to replace Joe? Or will BR trust in Shelvey/Suso/Henderson to do the job? Or will he put Suarez behind the lone striker who would be Sturridge in that case?

Many interesting questions which will find their answers in the coming weeks...
Or does Allen push farther up the field and what we really need to get this Summer is another Lucas type player to play DM?

Status
Not open for further replies.