• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Julian Brandt (AM) Bayer Leverkusen

Will we get him?

• Yep

• No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Thurgood

I think considering he's rejected Bayern in the past gives us some elbow room in the (at the moment) 2 way tussle for him. I'd like to think the deal between Liverpool and Leverkusen is a done deal, personal terms is the thing here because of soon to be champions league football for us, I think as soon as we finish in the top 4, it will be announced. No proof, just my hunch.

NYRhockey

I'll admit Bayern are a massive club and a threat to us with this signing. But why is everyone resigned to the fact we will lose out to Bayern?
Being German and Bayern being the German club is why people think we may lose out to them, even if Brandt has already turned them down once. And if as a child he had a dream of some day winning the Bundesliga, Bayern is the only team in the league where he can achieve that and can do that every year.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he joins Bayern.He may well want the challenge and excitement of playing in England. Add to that the thought of playing for Kloppo and the distinct possibility that we'll be playing Champions League footy next season, I think we have a decent chance of signing him.

rickardinho1

Because if he goes to Bayern, we'll have already accepted the fact we lost out on our primary target. If he comes to us, it will be so much sweeter.

Secondly, it's rare for us to beat other clubs to a signing, thats not even just clubs like Bayern, but other clubs of a similar tier to us.
We stole Can from Bayern. I'm sure there were plenty of teams interested in Matip as well.

Mark Thurgood

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he joins Bayern.He may well want the challenge and excitement of playing in England. Add to that the thought of playing for Kloppo and the distinct possibility that we'll be playing Champions League footy next season, I think we have a decent chance of signing him.
Someone on my wave length.

NYRhockey

Crazy to think Leverkusen are only 4pts off relegation zone. Julian surely will want to leave that and he'd be welcome at Liverpool :-)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Crazy to think Leverkusen are only 4pts off relegation zone. Julian surely will want to leave that and he'd be welcome at Liverpool :-)
Julian has already stated i think that he wants to go, his club have also been open about him leaving. I dont think anything can change that. The only question is where does he want to go to.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Seen on the Twitter thread that he's given an interview saying he won't be moving to Bayern in the summer. Hate to put two and two together, but...
Options for him - stay where he is to be the big player in a club that play second, third or fourth fiddle to Bayern (the blue chip company), or join the blue chip (Bayern) company and play a small part of that team, or join an upcoming newly IPO group (Liverpool) and grow the the new group.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Waaaait, is this related to the rumour Kopstar was talking about before, then? Too subtle for that time in the morning, mate lol

I'd be over the moon if this was happening. Looks a real prospect.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Waaaait, is this related to the rumour Kopstar was talking about before, then? Too subtle for that time in the morning, mate lol

I'd be over the moon if this was happening. Looks a real prospect.
For the record I've got no idea whether this is the player I was told we'd agreed a £30m+ fee for with his club (obviously would still need to agree terms with the player as well). The timings around certain comments in the media aligned but again that could purely be coincidence.

Still, if it's not reported by the Echo or Sky... ;-)

Kanonkop

For the record I've got no idea whether this is the player I was told we'd agreed a £30m+ fee for with his club (obviously would still need to agree terms with the player as well). The timings around certain comments in the media aligned but again that could purely be coincidence.

Still, if it's not reported by the Echo or Sky... ;-)
or, more definitively, Miss Reddy...;-)

Dave-D

How many get relegated from the BL, if it's two I doubt Leverkusen will go down and from reading between the lines I expect Brandt to stay where he is.

He seem more interested in playing than being at a big club not getting games which at his age is the correct thing to be doing in my opinion.

Or he could have offers but is making it crystal clear he will only move to be and first choice player guaranteed to start most weeks.

NYRhockey

@Dave-D, as i understand it the bottom 2 (17th and 18th) get automatically relegated and the 3rd from last (16th) goes into a playoff against the 3rd place team of the 2.Bundesliga. Right now Leverkusen are 12ths, 3 pts from the 16th spot and play Ingolstadt (17th), Cologne (8th) and Hertha (5th) to close out the season.

Cologne-Liverpool

What he said, was: "If you join a new club, there's no guarantee, that you'll get to play. I think it will be very important to play a lot of games next season. That is definitely the case here in Leverkusen".
Again, the Bayern rumour was always more about him joining Bayern not this but the following summer, which would also mean, that the buy-out clause could get activated. Not saying this will happen or that he won't join us, but there's also that possibility.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
What he said, was: "If you join a new club, there's no guarantee, that you'll get to play. I think it will be very important to play a lot of games next season. That is definitely the case here in Leverkusen".
Again, the Bayern rumour was always more about him joining Bayern not this but the following summer, which would also mean, that the buy-out clause could get activated. Not saying this will happen or that he won't join us, but there's also that possibility.
Glad you've cleared that up! ;-)

Cologne-Liverpool

Glad you've cleared that up! ;-)
I still hope that he's the 30m rumour you heard about. Tbh his statement leaves enough room for interpretation - maybe he's just waiting to see how things turn out at the end of the season(both for Leverkusen and us)?

Alright Now

I still hope that he's the 30m rumour you heard about. Tbh his statement leaves enough room for interpretation - maybe he's just waiting to see how things turn out at the end of the season(both for Leverkusen and us)?
You're supposed to be giving us answers, not asking us questions. Isn't this your wheel house? :-)

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Yeah, his statement had something of the 'keeping options open' about it, though I think he could be serious about not wanting to go to Bayern, and likely for the reason stated of wanting to play regularly. Their recent treatment of players like Shaqiri, Gotze and Coman might have sent up some red flags for young players not simply in it for the money.

Out of interest, has he played much alongside Can for the younger NT age groups? Just wondering if there's a possible friendship there that might put another point or two in our favour.

Limiescouse

Out of interest, has he played much alongside Can for the younger NT age groups? Just wondering if there's a possible friendship there that might put another point or two in our favour.
No. He's a couple of age groups younger than Can. They had a short amount of time together at Leverkusen in Can's one year there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.