Julian Brandt (AM) Bayer Leverkusen

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ubermick, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yep

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Yes. There were a couple of players younger that were still eligible to play in the U21 and called upon. As far as I remember Brandt and Can never ended up playing in any tournaments together though (although they could have).

2. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Considering Bayer Leverkusen's state right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell Brandt this summer. They have really gone downhill this year, from a few years ago when it looked like they would be able to solidify their position as a top German team behind Bayern and Dortmund. Yes, Brandt may get plenty of minutes there but the future seems very uncertain and if he has an option to join a different side - say, one with a popular German manager famous for cultivating some of the best young talent in the world - I would be surprised for him to refuse. From Leverkusen's perspective, it might be best to sell off a few of their young players and reinvest the money. They still have a good squad with Calhanoglu (though he's suspended for the rest of the season), Bellarabi, Kampl, etc., so I don't think Brandt's sale would hurt them too much, and would also give them some money to reinvest.

I guess Dortmund could be competition for us but they already have so much young talent in those positions - Pulisic, Mor, and Dembele - that I would at least hope we would be in a stronger negotiating position. He'd basically be first off the bench for us I'd imagine, and with our injury record he shouldn't worry about getting plenty of playing time.

3. teto_pp

teto_pp Active Member

Although I would love if we got Brandt, the fact that Leverkusen is on the verge of descent with that squad should not be ignored. I would take every single player in the starting XI of that team either as squad players or starter, and yet why are they descending?

So are their players overrated or something else? Perhaps someone could give some light into it...

4. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

What has gone wrong at Leverkusen this season? I ask because @Cologne-Liverpool has suggested that Bayern's interest is primarily for next summer, and so him saying that he will not go there this summer does not infact rule out him going to Bayern. It seems the question is does he stay and develop at Bayer for one more year before going to Bayern, or moves someone else this summer. Well, surely the answer to what wrong this year, and therefore how likely it is to happen against next season, will play a huge role in whether Brandt decides to do. Hanging around a perennially struggling side is no way for a talented attacker to develop.

redfanman and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  5. Makati Red

Makati Red Banned Users

From the last Dortmund game I saw only Dembele looks worth buying, he seems to be on a different level to Mor and Puslic

6. Cologne-Liverpool

How's the Dortmund squad related to Brandt/Leverkusen? :?:

7. Limiescouse

Ignoring the slight diversion of topic, Dembele and Pulisic are fairly comparable in stats for games and goals this season, but the American is a full year younger with almost a whole season less of senior football. I think they are also probably going to end up as pretty different sorts of players - Dembele more Mane like and Pulisic more like Coutinho.

8. Cologne-Liverpool

I'd take 'em both, just to be sure.;-)

9. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Well-Known Member

As in hernandez who use to play for utd?
    Personally I just couldn't fully get behind someone who was a big first team player for utd. Was never a big fan of Ince when he came here

10. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

Yet you pooh-poohed my Defoe suggestion!

Allow me to pooh-pooh your pooh-pooh!

ptt likes this.
  11. Limiescouse

Chicarito is a far superior player. I don't get the comparison.

12. Zinedine Biscan

You can't unpooh-pooh a pooh-pooh.

ptt, bazza66, redbj and 2 others like this.
  13. Limiescouse

I have a dog with a sensitive belly so I am unfortunately well aware of that

14. Cologne-Liverpool

Btw @Limiescouse you were right, I looked it up - although Brandt was supposed to be in the U21 team at one point in a team with Can (even though Brandt was/is younger), I think they ended up never actually playing a game together in the U21, as the coach decided against taking Brandt to the tournament in 2015 and that's pretty much where Can's U21 career ended.. My bad...getting old, sometimes these youngsters all look the same to me... ;-)(now @Alright Now will be even more disappointed in me..:(()

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    inaiq, Alright Now and redfanman like this.
  15. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Mourinho seems to have been talking him up recently, but i cant see why unless it was to try to sign him.

16. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I think age would play a factor. Defoe would pretty much be restricted to late cameos. Chicharito could play a much more expansive role either off the bench or for a full 90 and could offer more in the build up play itself.

inaiq likes this.
  17. Zinedine Biscan

Eh. Honestly don't feel we'd want to be in a position of playing either for the full 90, and see both as essentially penalty box finishers so don't really agree with the last point. Just see Defoe being the better finisher of the two, cheaper and happier playing a reduced role off the bench. Never really been that impressed with Hernandez tbh.

18. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

You know we love you...

...at least until we find a more informed replacement:well done:

inaiq and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  19. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

So if the £30m deal Kopstar has heard of was to be one of our German targets (both seem to be in that same price range) and we had to choose between Brandt or Keita which one would people choose and why?

20. Cologne-Liverpool

Pooh-pooh....Pearls before swine in your case anyway...:tongue:

inaiq and Alright Now like this.
  21. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Well they are clubs in a country called Germany.... and was told these clubs also play in a league called Bundesliga? More similar than you think.... :well done:

22. Zinedine Biscan

In that purely hypothetical situation I think I'd opt for Keita. Though we would seem to have more need of a wide player, I think he'd really help to strengthen the spine of the team while still offering a lot offensively. Obviously, I'd hope we could sign both.

Speckydodge, Kopstar and redfanman like this.
  23. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

Yeah I think I'd have to agree with you. Think Keita is the must get target this summer, plenty of alternatives to what Brandt would bring much as I like him, not sure we'll find what Keita has anywhere else for any money.

redfanman likes this.
  24. basil1492

basil1492 TIA Squad Member

Some people just aren't Blackadder fans but i have to admit to loving that scene (although i did prefer the third series). Melchet was a great character though, especially the bit where he was judge after the pigeon incident :-)

As for Brandt, i think we know as much now as we did before the interview, he's left too many things open but to me it sounds more likely that he'll stay where he is for 1 more season

ptt, inaiq, redfanman and 3 others like this.
  25. CymruRed

CymruRed TIA Youth Team

Well bugger me with a fish fork,all this talk of pooh-poohing will disband the forum,moral will be totally destroyed,by the pooh-pooh.

ptt, Scott Jones, inaiq and 2 others like this.
  26. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Then we'll all be in the poo!

CymruRed and inaiq like this.
  27. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

28. Redbelly

Redbelly TIA Youth Team

Pooh Pooh? I think most of us could relate to Eeyore more. I'm sure with his pessimistic attitude he's an LFC supporter

redfanman and Irishanfield like this.
  29. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Who, Eeyore? Yeah, I think he probably is!

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  30. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

My kind of thread, the last T in PTT is for Tigger :-)

redfanman likes this.