• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Julian Brandt (AM) Bayer Leverkusen

Will we get him?

• Yep

• No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I would say Brandt is open to a move which will see him get minutes, I think he is concerned at being swallowed up Bayern.

Some may say he is underselling himself I see it as a good thing, a lad who is hungry to play.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
does he look like an orc out of the LOTR?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Looks like we are moving on from Brandt and are looking at alternatives. Is it coz the player is reluctant to move? or coz the club ia not willing to sell. Looks like typical LFC transfer saga - put so much effort for 3 months and then move on to plan b,c,d,e.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Looks like we are moving on from Brandt and are looking at alternatives. Is it coz the player is reluctant to move? or coz the club ia not willing to sell. Looks like typical LFC transfer saga - put so much effort for 3 months and then move on to plan b,c,d,e.
Or we have found better alternatives available? Salah and Costa fit what we need more than Brandt. They both also possess pace and lots of it... We need pace..

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Or we have found better alternatives available? Salah and Costa fit what we need more than Brandt. They both also possess pace and lots of it... We need pace..
Maybe. I also find it odd we've moved on unless rumours of a deal for summer 18 with Bayern are true.

Dave-D

With him being picked to represent Germany in the summer along with Can could Liverpools interest cool on him as he'll miss the start of pre season.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
With him being picked to represent Germany in the summer along with Can could Liverpools interest cool on him as he'll miss the start of pre season.
I dont see that as reason Klopp wouldnt follow up his interest - must have been aware of that when trying to buy him in January. Klopp is more about the longterm. We should have sufficient options to cover for the short term.

Red over the water

We need more goals from midfield. Brandt would be a perfect signing. Could take Lallana’s place in the squad and be an upgrade as a creative and attacking midfielder, who could cover on the wing in a pinch.

Beyond that we need one for the front three - someone with pace and an eye for goal, maybe Bergwijn or Pepe.

Then another left back, maybe Lloyd Kelly.

But put me down for Brandt. Klopp likes him too, and at that price it’s a steal.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
On the basis that he's been linked, given the approach to transfers in the Klopp era, then no. Sure we'll get an attacking/forward for the exiting Sturridge, but it will be a leftfield bolt out of the blue.

Transfers in the Klopp era can be known for going back for known targets, being patient and waiting for the right player as much as it is out of the blue one's.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Opinion, or has he said words to that effect?
Bit of both. From him the typical 'blah blah we'll see in the summer / won’t make decisions until end of season'

If Brandt would be after big money and the biggest possible club he would have been a Liverpool player for two years now.

He cares about his career and wants CL football but more importantly he wants to be a regular starter. That’s something we can’t offer him and that’s why Dortmund are favorites to sign him.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
On the basis that he's been linked, given the approach to transfers in the Klopp era, then no. Sure we'll get an attacking/forward for the exiting Sturridge, but it will be a leftfield bolt out of the blue.
Not sure how you reach that conclusion. The only recent transfer that came completely out of the blue was Fabinho. Everyone else, from my recollection, was linked with LFC well before the transfer was announced.

Red over the water

I don’t like the notion of a player wanting to be a guaranteed starter. You must back your own ability and rise to the challenge!

So, assuming we are interested, that communicates a lot to the player. And if Brandt looks at Liverpool he’s got to be thinking great manager, great team. Should be challenging for the Prem and CL for the next few years. I want some of that.

He’s an attacking midfielder. If he delivers us 12-15 goals a season, plus assists and creativity, as he helps to link the midfield to the forwards, he will be in the side much more often than not. He also has versatility and can offer depth out wide, which adds another string to his bow.

If he doesn’t think he can deliver, then by all means, go and play for a lesser side. But if a team like this Liverpool, at this stage and under this manager, comes in for you, you have to back your own ability and rise to the challenge, or else why bother?

* Caveat: if you are clearly more of a squad player e.g. a youngster starting to break through, or an old timer doing a job when called upon, then that’s fine too, but Brandt is neither of those. He’s a player coming into his prime years, and you’ve got to back yourself.

nikz200

After seeing him play a few games, i have to say, he has a good first touch and build up play vision. is he a fit into our midfield ? Or do we play him up front 3 somewhere? Right now , Havertz is playing where Brandt used to play while brandt plays that Ox role.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
It's wonderful to know that our club has now maximum attractiveness for any good player out there. Whether this one comes in or not, it will mainly be down to whether Klopp judges him good enough for us. That's largely good enough for me, no need to worry about this one, or any other transfer rumour during the coming summer! :)

GermanRed

IMO he is a better winger / wide player than Origi, Shaqiri, Ox and Lallana but 18 scorer points in 16 games (second half of the season under the new manager) from the #8 position show what his best position is.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
IMO he is a better winger / wide player than Origi, Shaqiri, Ox and Lallana but 18 scorer points in 16 games (second half of the season under the new manager) from the #8 position show what his best position is.
yes.. he would would be our next best option for both mane and salah but I can see klopp also using him like he did coutinho if we buy him.. so if we sign him he would have plenty of playing time regardless. if I had my pick of signing this player or bringing coutinho back.. I would favor signing Brandt over Coutinho for many reasons but mainly the price tag.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Apparently his £21.5m release clause is no longer valid after they qualified for the CL, reports we would have to pay significantly more.

Also, as stated above, most sources seem to think he favours a move to Dortmund over us.

GermanRed

Apparently his £21.5m release clause is no longer valid after they qualified for the CL, reports we would have to pay significantly more.

Also, as stated above, most sources seem to think he favours a move to Dortmund over us.
Reports in Germany suggest that the clause is still valid until the end of the month.

I have the feeling that he gave Dortmund his word when it looked like Leverkusen won't reach the CL and now with CL he has doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.