• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Julian Brandt (AM) Bayer Leverkusen

Will we get him?

• Yep

• No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Reports in Germany suggest that the clause is still valid until the end of the month.

I have the feeling that he gave Dortmund his word when it looked like Leverkusen won't reach the CL and now with CL he has doubts.
I am pretty devastated due to this news. So are many people here in our TIA. :((
I hope the club has proper alternatives planned already.
We don't need much - if we get both Havertz and Sancho, that could console the poor devastated souls of TIA.:tongue:

SadiosMio

I'd rather have Havertz if it was a choice, even if we had to do like Naby and take him a year from now.

Brandt is more value for the money than true top talent.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Bad timing i would say.
With his release clause he would be a great signing but i don't think we are after a #8 or an AM.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Signing for Dortmund 5 year deal according to twitter.
Never seen him play.

MW2833

Bad timing i would say.
With his release clause he would be a great signing but i don't think we are after a #8 or an AM.
I don't think the release clause is active anymore as Leverkusen got Champions League. He would probably cost a lot more.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
It would be great to see Dortmund sign him for half of the money they got for Pulišić or something like that. I'd love to see someone like him added to this Liverpool squad but if he joins Dortmund, it will be completely understandable. Young, German international who's steadily breaking through and needs to start regularly at a high level.

SadiosMio

Bad timing i would say.
Seems like should be. Lallana barely ever fit, Ox just coming off a major injury. Could use someone with ability to get the ball into dangerous areas, commit defenders and sometimes score himself. Keita really the only one that can do that consistently, and he's been injured quite a bit himself.

SadiosMio

It would be great to see Dortmund sign him for half of the money they got for Pulišić or something like that. I'd love to see someone like him added to this Liverpool squad but if he joins Dortmund, it will be completely understandable. Young, German international who's steadily breaking through and needs to start regularly at a high level.
Seeing what's happened with Sane and others at City may unfortunately make other players reluctant to join clubs among the very best in the world out of fear that they won't play. In the past, the money was just so much bigger that Man U could sign 4 strikers that were better than most of the rest of the PL. Too much money going around to do that anymore, apparently. Now we just have otherworldly starting XIs but iffy benches -- even City's will probably be weaker than this past year.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Understandable indeed, as they are one of the few clubs out there with soul, still.

Not understandable if he just follows what everyone else does and uses Dortmund as a stepping stone to Bayern, however.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
they are one of the few clubs out there with soul, still.
Really?
I remeber how they were crying because Bayern always takes their best players and how Bayern destroys the league with buying the best players.

Dortmund in the last few years:
Brandt Leverkusen
Hazard Gladbach
Schulz Hoffenheim
Diallo Mainz
Delaney Bremen
Wolf Frankfurt
Hitz Augsburg
Philipp Augsburg
Toprak Leverkusen
Dahoud Gladbach
Toljan Hoffenheim
Schürrle Wolfsburg
Castro Leverkusen
Bürki Freiburg

Soul? What soul?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Really?
I remeber how they were crying because Bayern always takes their best players and how Bayern destroys the league with buying the best players.

Brandt Leverkusen
Hazard Gladbach
Schulz Hoffenheim
Diallo Mainz
Delaney Bremen
Wolf Frankfurt
Hitz Augsburg
Philipp Augsburg
Toprak Leverkusen
Dahoud Gladbach
Toljan Hoffenheim
Schürrle Wolfsburg
Castro Leverkusen
Bürki Freiburg

Soul? What soul?
I don't think that this list has anything to do with having a soul or not. Every club buys players from it's own league. Dortmund are quite high up in the ranking, and will thus poach players from clubs beneath them. I also don't think that anyone can blame Bayern for doing this. We do this too in England (ask Southampton).

Soul has something to do with the supporters. Dortmund have a lot of soul, embodied by the yellow wall and the general atmosphere in the stands, and the enthusiasm in the city about their club. Then again, Bayern supporters are passionate too. They might not be the most likable fellas (who likes perennial winners anyway?), but their club has a soul too imo.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Understandable indeed, as they are one of the few clubs out there with soul, still.

Not understandable if he just follows what everyone else does and uses Dortmund as a stepping stone to Bayern, however.
Fully agree. That's the reason why my respect for the likes of Lewandowski and especially Goetze turned into disdain. I find it hard to dislike Hummels, though, at least he had previous history with Bayern.

That said, I wonder if Bayern will be after Havertz and not Brandt in the near future - if we're talking about best Bundesliga-based players. I still hope they will somehow manage to snatch Sane from Man City instead, he always plays well against Liverpool!

Sweeting

Really?

Brandt Leverkusen
Hazard Gladbach
Schulz Hoffenheim
Diallo Mainz
Delaney Bremen
Wolf Frankfurt
Hitz Augsburg
Philipp Augsburg
Toprak Leverkusen
Dahoud Gladbach
Toljan Hoffenheim
Schürrle Wolfsburg
Castro Leverkusen
Bürki Freiburg

Soul? What soul?
Took me far too long to realise that those were not just the player names.

I was thinking "Who the fuck is Diallo Mainz?"

rupzzz

TIA Regular
It comes as no surprise. Generally, players who's home nations have strong leagues, will play the vast majority of their careers in said league (in Europe).

I think it also helps with gaining spots in the national squads. There aren't many regular first team starting internationals from Spain, Germany or Italy playing in other leagues (including English players being abroad usually - Sancho aside). Obviously its a general point, as you can see players like Kroos playing at RM, De Gea at United etc. But those nations in particular pick their national squads largely from their home based players. Look at Sane missing out last year - which I thought was a surprise.

Dortmund are doing a good job at challenging Bayern at the moment. Signing Brandt is a no-brainer for them, and him signing for them is probably a no-brainer also. Klopp was the one that may have swung it our way, but nothing to be scoffed at him deciding to continue in the Bundesliga.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
At that price it's a quality deal, I would've taken that and looked to sell Lallana to minimize the fee. A quality option for either one of the two advanced #8's, or someone who can bring us something different from the sides (like when City overload and win their midfield battles when Bernardo plays as RW, but very much on the inside, almost creates a 4v3), plus also do a job on the left, which Shaqiri doesn't do. It's the side opposite of Mo, would allow us to have good balance and tweak formations inside games. However it looks like he wants to stay in Germany a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.