Kai Havertz (AM) Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Havertz, Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech is a good front four.

Their back 5 is still shite and those players above are still a level or two below what City have.

I'm not at all worried about Chelsea for next season, I think they're still at least 2 seasons off challenging for the league with another 2 summer windows like this one.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I'd love to see this lad wearing our shirt as much as anyone. But let's face it, it won't happen. If he wants to move this summer indeed, it won't be to us as we haven't the means for such a move.

The clubs able to sign are the usual suspects: Bayern (80% chances imo, as Leverkusen just love selling their best players to them, and German players are naturally attracted to them), Real who can always get some state-funded ressources, Man City and Chelsea of course, if the latest news are anything to go by. I'm surprised that PSG aren't in the race for him too, given their bottomless ressources, and his 'next-big-thing' tag.

FFP having been confirmed factually dead and buried, these are the only clubs who have a realistic chance to catch him. All other clubs have to deal with the realities of the pandemic-related shorting of funds, and can't pay the fee demanded by Leverkusen.

nikz200

Not worth being depressed about in my opiniom (if they get him).

Chelsea are putting together another very costly squad. The second that results don't go frankies way, he will be sacked, new manager in, and the standard Chelsea churn will begin. Also, the likelihood that all their new attacking players will hit the ground running and adapting to the PL is fairly low. They'll be losing senior pro's too in Willian, Pedro, and their captain won't be lasting too much longer.

Will be interesting to see what happens - but if CHO becomes available, I'd have him. Even Tammy!
If Frank Lampards side finish in the top 4 and clean up Arsenal in the FA cup final thats already a big achievement for his first season in charge, i agree that it might take time for them to gel but thats the thing that they can pick up down the stretch especially if they get a keeper and defenders of high worth.

They seem to be very confident that they will recoup in sales for these transfers which means there are buyers out there for players like CHO and the other youth players who they want to sell. The other thing is that this is how Chelsea have been a successful team down the stretch, they buy a lot of talented players and they never have a issue financially which is strange. The Morata sale alone has funded major players for them and now they get Havertz without having to really even sell anyone. They change managers at the drop of the hat which sucks but they have been steadily winning the league in between seasons. Conte and Mourinho both won the league with chelsea 2014-2015 and 2016-2017. Traditionally even if their methods are chaotic, they are a trophy winning team every year or so somehow some way. Which is why this move strengthens them even if it isn't for Lampard, there will be another manager to come in and win another trophy for them somehow some way. Pedro pretty much dead wood for them and i think Willian is a cracking player who WE should really try and bring in , but they have CHO, Abraham, Mount and now all their new inclusions into the squad. Cant sleep on Chelsea at all. Its always the same story when it comes to chelsea so i usually don't bother talking about it , but yeah, we always tend to lose our transfer targets if Chelsea is involved , the only ones recently of note they did not hijack or get in front of us for was Fabinho, Alisson and Van Dijk. (not sure if we were in for a few players, but there have been a few players over the years we were interested in and chelsea swooped in and got them)

Anyway, their squad needs a lot of work in other areas so who cares, but its just a little bit annoying to see this player go to Chelsea for all teams. Could have stomached it more if Madrid or Juventus were seriously in for him. But given the timing of all these reports and what not, looks like it could be happening. We will have to see how it all turns out.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I disagree, Roman has been completly uninterested for years.. Now it is seen that FFP is a farce (i.e. he can't cheat to win) he is back. They are interested in Oblak for example.

This is the signing I'd be most disappointed about as Havertz is a classy footballer.

The article says £73mil including add-ons.. I think we could do that, just up to Havertz to wait till later in the window.
His rekindling interest has nothing to do with the FFP decision. Chelsea have been chasing these players since at least last year,

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Bugger me that transfer ban has worked out well for them if they get Havertz too.
In their defence only because Lampard appears to have done a decent job and still got them Champions League despite the ban and a diminishing pool of senior stars by making use of youth talent. Not sure Lampard is that great a manager but got to give him credit he's done a great job.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I disagree, Roman has been completly uninterested for years.. Now it is seen that FFP is a farce (i.e. he can't cheat to win) he is back. They are interested in Oblak for example.
I don’t think it’s to do with FFP. It’s still there. Clubs still have to bear it in mind.

Chelsea have the scope to spend, as they have spent very little over the last reporting window.

The reason they are going now is that

a) They have a manager who has proven himself and is worth the investment.

b) Football is in disarray from a financial point of view, and Chelsea see an opportunity to throw money around without much competition.

c) They are gambling that, somewhere down the line they’ll be able to recoup the money through sales.

rab

In their defence only because Lampard appears to have done a decent job and still got them Champions League despite the ban and a diminishing pool of senior stars by making use of youth talent. Not sure Lampard is that great a manager but got to give him credit he's done a great job.
I think the job he's done is overstated. Took a team that finished third last year and won the Europa League and turned them into a team that may just about finish 3/4th, may win an FA Cup and did nothing in the CL of note.

And the transfer ban is a bit of a misnomer if you ask me. Pulisic was signed a window early to avoid not being able to get him should the ban kick in. Kovacic was signed despite the ban due to some loophole and Tammy Abraham returned from a very successful loan.

Yes they lost Hazard but given the seasons the likes of Spurs, United and Arsenal have had, to still not be confirmed CL football for next year with two games to go is pretty poor going. Lose to us and let United in for fourth place and lose that FA Cup final and you'd say it's a very poor season for them. Their season basically rides on the last three games.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think the job he's done is overstated. Took a team that finished third last year and won the Europa League and turned them into a team that may just about finish 3/4th, may win an FA Cup and did nothing in the CL of note.

And the transfer ban is a bit of a misnomer if you ask me. Pulisic was signed a window early to avoid not being able to get him should the ban kick in. Kovacic was signed despite the ban due to some loophole and Tammy Abraham returned from a very successful loan.

Yes they lost Hazard but given the seasons the likes of Spurs, United and Arsenal have had, to still not be confirmed CL football for next year with two games to go is pretty poor going. Lose to us and let United in for fourth place and lose that FA Cup final and you'd say it's a very poor season for them. Their season basically rides on the last three games.
More than a bit harsh. Don't like Frank or think he's shown anything particularly special as a manager yet but even if he finishes 5th with no cup it isnt exactly a disastrous first season. Awful, overpriced, keeper, dysfunctional defence, solid midfield and geriatric attack that just lost the star it was built around. Could still finish as high as 3rd and probably the FA cup winners without getting to choose any incoming players? There's a lot of managers out there that would have probably never accepted that job in the first place. Kovacic and Pulisic were already there, no way of knowing whether they are players that he'd buy taking playing style into account. Likewise with returning loans he's done a real good job of getting maximum out of them.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
If Frank Lampards side finish in the top 4 and clean up Arsenal in the FA cup final thats already a big achievement for his first season in charge, i agree that it might take time for them to gel but thats the thing that they can pick up down the stretch especially if they get a keeper and defenders of high worth.

They seem to be very confident that they will recoup in sales for these transfers which means there are buyers out there for players like CHO and the other youth players who they want to sell. The other thing is that this is how Chelsea have been a successful team down the stretch, they buy a lot of talented players and they never have a issue financially which is strange. The Morata sale alone has funded major players for them and now they get Havertz without having to really even sell anyone. They change managers at the drop of the hat which sucks but they have been steadily winning the league in between seasons. Conte and Mourinho both won the league with chelsea 2014-2015 and 2016-2017. Traditionally even if their methods are chaotic, they are a trophy winning team every year or so somehow some way. Which is why this move strengthens them even if it isn't for Lampard, there will be another manager to come in and win another trophy for them somehow some way. Pedro pretty much dead wood for them and i think Willian is a cracking player who WE should really try and bring in , but they have CHO, Abraham, Mount and now all their new inclusions into the squad. Cant sleep on Chelsea at all. Its always the same story when it comes to chelsea so i usually don't bother talking about it , but yeah, we always tend to lose our transfer targets if Chelsea is involved , the only ones recently of note they did not hijack or get in front of us for was Fabinho, Alisson and Van Dijk. (not sure if we were in for a few players, but there have been a few players over the years we were interested in and chelsea swooped in and got them)

Anyway, their squad needs a lot of work in other areas so who cares, but its just a little bit annoying to see this player go to Chelsea for all teams. Could have stomached it more if Madrid or Juventus were seriously in for him. But given the timing of all these reports and what not, looks like it could be happening. We will have to see how it all turns out.
They could say the same about us though,timing is almost everything in football,especially in the transfer market,when Roman decided to take a break from financially backing them,then getting banned from buying players,we sold Coutinho at the perfect time,built our CL and title winning team off the back of that,while they had to put up with rebuilding with a new manager and kids.

Buying all these players doesn't mean it's nailed on they'll win everything infront of them,it could also have an adverse effect,Lampard has had his first season and free swing at it,after having his hands tied,now he has to start delivering,if these new players don't gel as a team and win things,his head will be on the chopping block.

Lets not forget,they have a habbit of buying good players but also letting go of the likes of De Bruyne and Salah's of this world,who's to say whoever they sell to pay for these transfers (like a CHO) won't turn out to be another bad move for them??

Kopstar

★★★★★★
They could say the same about us though,timing is almost everything in football,especially in the transfer market,when Roman decided to take a break from financially backing them,then getting banned from buying players,we sold Coutinho at the perfect time,built our CL and title winning team off the back of that,while they had to put up with rebuilding with a new manager and kids.

Buying all these players doesn't mean it's nailed on they'll win everything infront of them,it could also have an adverse effect,Lampard has had his first season and free swing at it,after having his hands tied,now he has to start delivering,if these new players don't gel as a team and win things,his head will be on the chopping block.

Lets not forget,they have a habbit of buying good players but also letting go of the likes of De Bruyne and Salah's of this world,who's to say whoever they sell to pay for these transfers (like a CHO) won't turn out to be another bad move for them??
Also good to remember that they can only play eleven. With the possible exception of Kante (and Havertz if he signs), not a single Chelsea player gets in our first XI.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Interesting move if it happens. Would make them even more flexible from midfield to attack. Havertz could play as a false 9 with the likes of Werner attacking space. Or another solution, flip to a 4-2-3-1 more often, Kante playing in his best role (in a two), Havertz behind Abraham par example. Point remains though, that's a lot of attacking solutions... but at the back (both in personnel and what they all do without the ball) is highly questionable.

Red over the water

I want Havertz to come and liven up our front options. It seems churlish to criticize them, because they are so good... but they could do with a proper threat on the bench to sharpen the mind. At the moment they are overplaying a little and missing too many chances. For example, the Atletico game - big game of consequence, is mostly remembered for Adrian’s mistake, but the strikers do not get away scot free! They need to be more clinical, especially in a tight game.

Havertz can help now, but he also looks like he will be a very good player for years to come, so augmenting the current front three will turn into replacing one of them, whenever the time is right.

rab

More than a bit harsh. Don't like Frank or think he's shown anything particularly special as a manager yet but even if he finishes 5th with no cup it isnt exactly a disastrous first season. Awful, overpriced, keeper, dysfunctional defence, solid midfield and geriatric attack that just lost the star it was built around. Could still finish as high as 3rd and probably the FA cup winners without getting to choose any incoming players? There's a lot of managers out there that would have probably never accepted that job in the first place. Kovacic and Pulisic were already there, no way of knowing whether they are players that he'd buy taking playing style into account. Likewise with returning loans he's done a real good job of getting maximum out of them.
Respectfully disagree. He's going to lose somewhere between 29% and 34% of their league games this season. He's going to get less points than the Sarri did and he was hardly seen as a success or much loved there.

Yes he didn't have free reign to buy players but he knew that going into it and they'd already made some moves to circumvent that issue. If he fails to make the CL places then that would be disastrous and an FA Cup wouldn't do much to cover that up.

He's been steady at best. Not bad for a first season but not exactly pulling up trees making Chelsea this attractive destination for European stars again.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Respectfully disagree. He's going to lose somewhere between 29% and 34% of their league games this season. He's going to get less points than the Sarri did and he was hardly seen as a success or much loved there.

Yes he didn't have free reign to buy players but he knew that going into it and they'd already made some moves to circumvent that issue. If he fails to make the CL places then that would be disastrous and an FA Cup wouldn't do much to cover that up.

He's been steady at best. Not bad for a first season but not exactly pulling up trees making Chelsea this attractive destination for European stars again.
What exactly were you, realistically, expecting them to be able to achieve?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I don’t think it’s to do with FFP. It’s still there. Clubs still have to bear it in mind.

Chelsea have the scope to spend, as they have spent very little over the last reporting window.

The reason they are going now is that

a) They have a manager who has proven himself and is worth the investment.

b) Football is in disarray from a financial point of view, and Chelsea see an opportunity to throw money around without much competition.

c) They are gambling that, somewhere down the line they’ll be able to recoup the money through sales.
I'm only really adding on what I've seen a few journalists report.

Only a year ago he was trying to sell Chelsea, so something has got his interest back.

Your 2nd point is true though, they are one of the only clubs with cash available, so moving earlier in the window to get players whilst other clubs (who are probably more attractive) wait to get clarity on income is a shrewd move.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I want Havertz to come and liven up our front options. It seems churlish to criticize them, because they are so good... but they could do with a proper threat on the bench to sharpen the mind. At the moment they are overplaying a little and missing too many chances. For example, the Atletico game - big game of consequence, is mostly remembered for Adrian’s mistake, but the strikers do not get away scot free! They need to be more clinical, especially in a tight game.

Havertz can help now, but he also looks like he will be a very good player for years to come, so augmenting the current front three will turn into replacing one of them, whenever the time is right.
If you are thinking of Havertz as a front three option, he isn’t going anywhere as a kick up other lads arses. He’s going to play first team football week in, week out.

Limiescouse

Also good to remember that they can only play eleven. With the possible exception of Kante (and Havertz if he signs), not a single Chelsea player gets in our first XI.
And despite having a keeper who looks like an expensive albatross and a not very good back 4, all they are doing is spending on forwards when they already have a surplus there. Even accounting for losing Willian and Pedro.

Limiescouse

They're rumoured to be looking at a new GK and a LB too...
Sure, but even with the leeway they have from not having spent much last year, there comes a point where you've hit your spending limit. Oblak will not be cheap, and if they do this additional work you're getting to a situation where a team that finished 3rd in 1 year has 5 or 6 new players the next. That wont just come together.

Hope in your heart

Admin
They're rumoured to be looking at a new GK and a LB too...
Yeah, now that FFP is effectively dead and buried, they'll spend whatever they need to get back at the top. In that sense, they are absolutely no different from man cheaty. Abramovic had been successfully reigned in by UEFA in the last years, but now he sees that all you need to do is to obstruct any investigation in order to avoid punishment, there is nothing stopping him anymore.

It won't guarantee them immediate success of course, but in the medium term, they will be right up there again.

Hope in your heart

Admin
It’s not dead and buried. City got off on a technicality.
You know what I mean. It's not officially dead, but the CAS decision effectively deprived UEFA of any means to punish oil-sheik clubs refusing to comply with the rules. The small clubs will still have to comply with them, but the big ones? Nope, not anymore, as confirmed by the highest sporting instance, moving the posts in order to allow man cheaty to get away with that technicality.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Depressing if it really happens, at least it isn't City. Fantastic player that hasn't even come close to his ceiling. It helps that they didnt spend anything last year.....oh wait, neither did we.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
You know what I mean. It's not officially dead, but the CAS decision effectively deprived UEFA of any means to punish oil-sheik clubs refusing to comply with the rules.
No, I don’t think that’s true. It’s hard to judge what is going on, because the circumstances of the City case were unique. They were guilty, and but for a batshit decision by CAS, would have been screwed. I don’t think it’s quite the blueprint for fiddling FFP that people think it is. City got very lucky, behind closed door I’ll think they’ll understand that, and ‘being lucky’ is not really a strategy that any other club is going to be keen to follow.

What I think is happening at Chelsea is that they have a manager they believe in long term, and they are giving him a big summer. They haven’t spent anything for a couple of seasons, they got over 100m in the bank they weren’t allowed to spend, they expect to raise more money through sales, and for all we know they could be planning another couple of fallow years after this summers splurge.

I don’t think they’ll have any trouble meeting FFP.

rab

What exactly were you, realistically, expecting them to be able to achieve?
I think if you're happy to wave your manager off you'd hope the new bloke would do a better job. Get CL then fine and the FA Cup is the icing on the cake. Don't get either and questions should be asked. Not like the rest of the top six outside of us have been up to much this year.

Also, they can buy all the forwards they want but that defence is poor and their keeper the worst of the top six contenders and that isn't an easy or cheap fix.

brush85

]
They have Hazard and Morata money burning a hole in their pockets, and reports of them selling more off.
Plus, last year they had EL broadcasting revenues...this year they have CL bradocasting. That difference alone is a bump of 40+M.
And Just like us when we were chasing City, you are always going to be more aggressive as a chaser

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think if you're happy to wave your manager off you'd hope the new bloke would do a better job. Get CL then fine and the FA Cup is the icing on the cake. Don't get either and questions should be asked. Not like the rest of the top six outside of us have been up to much this year.

Also, they can buy all the forwards they want but that defence is poor and their keeper the worst of the top six contenders and that isn't an easy or cheap fix.
You think getting rid of Sarri and hiring Lampard was because they thought it was improving their manager situation?

Sarri is a top manager, however has a very abrasive style, him and Chelsea were never a good match, especially him being stuck with players he'd fell out with due to a ban for 12 months.

If you think Lampard, with no transfers of his choice and losing the teams best player (by a comfortable margin) should have bettered the results of a top manager like Sarri who got a £100 million net spend I think you had unrealistic expectations!

It was never about improving. They gave Lampard a go because 1 No proven manager would have touched that poison chalice with a ten foot barge pole and 2 Frank being loved at the club would get a couple seasons free pass which would conveniently include the banned period which another manager may not get that free pass during.

The fact that Frank (love him or hate him) might actually match the finish of a top manager like Sarri despite the circumstances is actually quite some achievement. As it is hes only 9 points off what Sarri achieved. Hes gone from Championship so-so new manager level to European chasing clubs manager level in one season.

Status
Not open for further replies.