• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Kai Havertz (AM) Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulRoJo

League thirst since 1990? Temporarily quenched!
A keeper in a 1 v 1 situation will concede goals no matter how good they are. Defenders that stop the 1 v 1 opportunities means more clean sheets, even if you have a steaming pile of horse shit for a keeper.

Yes but thats only partly true. As we discovered previously, even a mildly smelly fart in goal will undermine the defence in front, weaken confidence and make it impossible to build a watertight defence.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Yes but thats only partly true. As we discovered previously, even a mildly smelly fart in goal will undermine the defence in front, weaken confidence and make it impossible to build a watertight defence.
Agreed. I was thinking along the lines of 1 v 1 and shot stopping. A keeper like Oblak also brings a commanding presence for corners etc which someone like Kepa doesn't have imo.

Red over the water

Oblak would improve them like Alisson improved us. Instant solidity in goal. However, they also need their own VVD if they want to match what we did in transforming the heart of our defence.

Chelsea are assembling a good young team, no doubt about it. I expect them to be the best of the rest after us and Man City. However, they could make it a real three horse race if they sign one or two established world class players to give their attacking players a base to go and do their thing.

Sweeting

Assuming Chelsea now make the top 4 they will officially be the worst defensive team ever to make the Champions League, in England.

54 goals conceded is more than Liverpool 13/14 (50). More than Newcastle 01/02 (52). No other side has let in more than 50 and qualified.

Between 03/04, 04/05 & 05/06, Chelsea conceded 61 times. They've now conceded 54 times in one season.

Despite this, they seemingly have no interest in signing any defenders. Timo Werner will join and immediately be expected to replace their best player, Christian Pulisic, while their next target is Kai Havertz..

It's not squad building, it's a kid in a sweetshop going mad on tangfastics while his mum and dad aren't looking.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Assuming Chelsea now make the top 4 they will officially be the worst defensive team ever to make the Champions League, in England.

54 goals conceded is more than Liverpool 13/14 (50). More than Newcastle 01/02 (52). No other side has let in more than 50 and qualified.

Between 03/04, 04/05 & 05/06, Chelsea conceded 61 times. They've now conceded 54 times in one season.

Despite this, they seemingly have no interest in signing any defenders. Timo Werner will join and immediately be expected to replace their best player, Christian Pulisic, while their next target is Kai Havertz..

It's not squad building, it's a kid in a sweetshop going mad on tangfastics while his mum and dad aren't looking.
Apparently they've conceded second most from corners behind Norwich. Kepa has conceded around 8% of all of Chelsea's goals since the premier league began!

auzziez

Apparently they've conceded second most from corners behind Norwich. Kepa has conceded around 8% of all of Chelsea's goals since the premier league began!
Think Kepa's form, or the lack of, is the reason behind the Oblak rumours. If I read it right, Kepa has second worst shot stopping stats in the league. Don't see stocking up on attacking talent is going to paper over the cracks in their defence.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think Kepa's form, or the lack of, is the reason behind the Oblak rumours. If I read it right, Kepa has second worst shot stopping stats in the league. Don't see stocking up on attacking talent is going to paper over the cracks in their defence.
Pretty sure they are the worst not second worst.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Think vast majority of it is the keeper. I'm not saying they've got a "good" defence but its also not a Terrible one either. If they really do sign Oblak and those goals conceded probably go down by at least a 3rd.

RedSeven

On the one road

Why would Werner be replacing Pulisic?

brush85

If they still have the money to address other pressing areas in the future. Then acquiring all of these high upside forwards, isnt the worst idea.

Wouldnt surprise me if they look to cash in on CHO, if the market is still ripe for him.

Limiescouse

Think vast majority of it is the keeper. I'm not saying they've got a "good" defence but its also not a Terrible one either. If they really do sign Oblak and those goals conceded probably go down by at least a 3rd.
It's not great. Their midfield also doesnt provide much a defensive shield with Kante unavailable so often. It's like their entire defense is based on winning the ball back up high or making you go long to avoid the pressure and giving it back them. If you can play through their initial press then there is very little resistance behind that.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Chelsea's defence is shite.

Azpillicueta is the only genuinely good defender at the club, the rest are substandard. Zouma and Rudiger might have been better players if not for their serious injuries. Christensen and Tomori are nothing special at all.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I was speaking about this last night with my CFC-supporting mate, and he thought the same as @ILLOK, reckons they need a huge overhaul of their defence if they're to challenge.

With their attacking additions they're starting to look like us in 13/14. Great going forward, shite at the back.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It's not great. Their midfield also doesnt provide much a defensive shield with Kante unavailable so often. It's like their entire defense is based on winning the ball back up high or making you go long to avoid the pressure and giving it back them. If you can play through their initial press then there is very little resistance behind that.
Chelsea's defence is shite.

Azpillicueta is the only genuinely good defender at the club, the rest are substandard. Zouma and Rudiger might have been better players if not for their serious injuries. Christensen and Tomori are nothing special at all.
I'm not saying its anything to be envious of (especially not to us, owners of the hands down best defence on the planet when its got its game face on) but with Oblak behind and Kante possibly returning to a more minesweeper role (with talk of Jorginho off) an essential back 5 with wingbacks I think they would dramatically improve next season over this season. Then next summer can be about improving their CBs. But the one signing that they could make defensively to have the biggest impact is Oblak in and Kepa out.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I was speaking about this last night with my CFC-supporting mate, and he thought the same as @ILLOK, reckons they need a huge overhaul of their defence if they're to challenge.

With their attacking additions they're starting to look like us in 13/14. Great going forward, shite at the back.
I was thinking this, they won't have starters anywhere near the level we had but they'll have a lot of good or very good options, plenty of options to mix things up if there are poor performances etc especially if the 5 subs thing is staying.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I'm not saying its anything to be envious of (especially not to us, owners of the hands down best defence on the planet when its got its game face on) but with Oblak behind and Kante possibly returning to a more minesweeper role (with talk of Jorginho off) an essential back 5 with wingbacks I think they would dramatically improve next season over this season. Then next summer can be about improving their CBs. But the one signing that they could make defensively to have the biggest impact is Oblak in and Kepa out.
I agree. I think Reece James looks decent and I actually think Tomori looks like a good prospect as well. Problem is, RB isn't a problem for Chelsea as Azpilicueta is solid there. He's not great at CB though so they can't really move him there to have James at RB. Rather than spending £80m on Havertz or whatever it is, they'd be better off going for Koulibaly and Oblak which would come as close as you can to replicating our Van Dijk and Alisson buys. That's assuming money is no object and/or they can raise a decent wedge from sales.

Actually, this back 5 would be the closest immitation of our own in so many different respects...

Oblak
James Tomori Koulibaly Max

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I agree. I think Reece James looks decent and I actually think Tomori looks like a good prospect as well. Problem is, RB isn't a problem for Chelsea as Azpilicueta is solid there. He's not great at CB though so they can't really move him there to have James at RB. Rather than spending £80m on Havertz or whatever it is, they'd be better off going for Koulibaly and Oblak which would come as close as you can to replicating our Van Dijk and Alisson buys. That's assuming money is no object and/or they can raise a decent wedge from sales.

Actually, this back 5 would be the closest immitation of our own in so many different respects...

Oblak
James Tomori Koulibaly Max
Think what we will see is Azpi as one of the back 3 along with Tomori and James as the right wing back so he has a little less defensive responsibility. With Kante and Kovacic in front and Oblak in the sticks it wouldn't be world class but a lot better than this season, room for further development and one decent CB signing away from being impressive. Add in this attacking depth they seem to be gathering and they shouldn't be ignored next year. And itd still be a young developing, learning team under a young manager learning on the job. Lets hope before it all comes together Frank has a Rodgers in 15/16 type season.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Think what we will see is Azpi as one of the back 3 along with Tomori and James as the right wing back so he has a little less defensive responsibility. With Kante and Kovacic in front and Oblak in the sticks it wouldn't be world class but a lot better than this season, room for further development and one decent CB signing away from being impressive. Add in this attacking depth they seem to be gathering and they shouldn't be ignored next year. And itd still be a young developing, learning team under a young manager learning on the job. Lets hope before it all comes together Frank has a Rodgers in 15/16 type season.
With a Havertz slip? Ouch, still hurts. If I had one bit of advice for the guy, wait a year If you don’t get what you want. Don’t settle for mediocrity.

Zoran

The question mark positions for them are certainly at least one CB, a LB (especially with Werner likely to play a lot of games in that inside left channel), GK and the #6 question (though they might rotate their midfield structure when Havertz plays #10, it would suit Kante more to play in a midfield two). When fit and in form, Rudiger is probably their best CB. Christensen looked very promising at Gladbach, technically very able, but has struggled in England so far. They'll need a few improvements there. Either individuals playing better, new signings and overall without the ball what they're all doing from back to front.

Dave-D

If they still have the money to address other pressing areas in the future. Then acquiring all of these high upside forwards, isnt the worst idea.

Wouldnt surprise me if they look to cash in on CHO, if the market is still ripe for him.
Rumour is CHO ain’t a happy bunny with all these new shiny signings and him already not getting much playing time

brush85

Rumour is CHO ain’t a happy bunny with all these new shiny signings and him already not getting much playing time
Understandable...he had a bad injury and then off field stuff hasnt been great.
Time waits for no man.

Status
Not open for further replies.