Kai Havertz (AM) Bayer 04 Leverkusen

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Havertz could finally be the midfielder to bring us double figures in goals and assists.

Lallana will leave.

Can’t see Milner stay longer than the next season.

Wijnaldum not yet extended his contract and will be 30 this year

Keita not yet established.

Ox will never have a season without injury lay off.

Compared to Werner/Sancho Havertz should be prioritized right now.
I've never seen the lad play but I guess you've seen him quite a few times. Would you say that he is the player that Keita was expected to be for us but hasn't reached that level yet?

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Not being funny or trying to be dismissive or anything but we really are setting records here. Take responsibilities from centre mid and free up a more traditional attacking centre mid or number 10 then it'll either be the fullbacks or wide forwards picking up those extra responsibilities. We are scoring nearly every game, keeping clean sheets for fun. Recorded 97 points last year and likely to smash all the records this year. Two CL finals back to back and could still make it 3. Our plan A kicks serious serious ass. Like record smashing style kicks ass. Yes we won't win every single game ever or put multiple goals past every opponent whilst keeping clean sheets in 100% of games but what we are doing would have been thought of as impossible before this year. If we want to mix things up we have the tools within our side to do so. We can switch to 4231 or even 4222 or 442 diamond or any other formation you want with the players we already have anyway. The thing with buying Havertz just to bring goals and assists to our CM is it just isn't that viable. If we buy him for other reasons it will be good that he offers that too. But that shouldn't be the only or main reason. You can only have 11 guys on the pitch, if you take a 3 man unit and cut it down to 2 men it's not going to get the same work done. And to be honest no number 10 is going to compensate for Robertson and Alexander-Arnold having their influence restricted.
Yeah sure, but we have dropped 2 points this year.

Jokes aside, I like him because he is different to the other names mentioned. Switching Mo for Sancho, or Mane for Werner, is much the same. Maybe a slight improvement, or even a slight decline, but basically the same as we have now.

If we play Havertz on a rotational basis along with Mo, Mane or Firmino, it wouldn't be a huge drop off, if any at all. Yet, when we need it, if he moves just behind the top three and the other two midfielders drop into a more defensive role, then wow, what a difference he will make.

It's hard to judge the guy with the players surrounding him at the moment, it must be painful for him to be at this level and awareness, and have decent players around him, yet when you compare the team to other teams in the Bundesliga, there is a huge drop off in quality.

nobluff

I've never seen the lad play but I guess you've seen him quite a few times. Would you say that he is the player that Keita was expected to be for us but hasn't reached that level yet?
Sort of, except Keita cant play up front, and Havertz doesnt really play just in front of the centerbacks.

Keita generally more of a dynamic give and go player, with a good ability to move past a player, Havertz is just much more adaptable in the attacking end if the field, very calm finishing, really two footed. I really hope we get him, and at a reasonable price.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yeah sure, but we have dropped 2 points this year.

Jokes aside, I like him because he is different to the other names mentioned. Switching Mo for Sancho, or Mane for Werner, is much the same. Maybe a slight improvement, or even a slight decline, but basically the same as we have now.

If we play Havertz on a rotational basis along with Mo, Mane or Firmino, it wouldn't be a huge drop off, if any at all. Yet, when we need it, if he moves just behind the top three and the other two midfielders drop into a more defensive role, then wow, what a difference he will make.

It's hard to judge the guy with the players surrounding him at the moment, it must be painful for him to be at this level and awareness, and have decent players around him, yet when you compare the team to other teams in the Bundesliga, there is a huge drop off in quality.
But having players who keep us going, in top form and in our ultra successful main way of playing is what would stop us dropping those 2 points (a game we didn't have Salah or an appropriate replacement for)! ;)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
So, that Havertz lad, is he any good? Is there anyone on these boards who has seen him play regularly? Is he already at the stage where he can make a meaningful impact for us? Isn't he too young still?

Genuine questions here, as I've never seen him play, apart in youtube compilations or in short game resumees. As we know, that doesn't mean a thing, same for the stats. So I'd be interested to hear an assessment from someone who has genuinely followed him. Does he have the quality to reinforce us, and if yes, as an impact sub, as a first team player? Thoughts?

nobluff

So, that Havertz lad, is he any good? Is there anyone on these boards who has seen him play regularly? Is he already at the stage where he can make a meaningful impact for us? Isn't he too young still?

Genuine questions here, as I've never seen him play, apart in youtube compilations or in short game resumees. As we know, that doesn't mean a thing, same for the stats. So I'd be interested to hear an assessment from someone who has genuinely followed him. Does he have the quality to reinforce us, and if yes, as an impact sub, as a first team player? Thoughts?
Like any other player when you watch a game, some good some bad, hard to watch his team as there isn't really another player to watch. Watched most of the last game vs Augsburg, nice pass for assist.

Yes, can make immediate impact. Will improve one hell of a lot with Jürgen and the Liverpool players. Brandt (23) was the best player he has played with, and he has left for Dortmund at end of last season.

gr_sounder

I don't know if I'm the best person to respond, but I'll try.
As an American, I have always watched German soccer/football, heck I've been a fan of the Bundesliga since my German neighbor would watch "Soccer made in Germany" with me and took me to NY Cosmos games when I was a child to see Beckenbauer. There are also a good number of young Americans that get good starts on careers in Germany. Right now I watch regularly on weekend mornings to see the young Yanks with good potential: Reyna (Dortmund), Adams (Leipzig), McKennie (Schalke), and Sargent (Wolfsburg). I also tend to watch Leverkusen because of the links to Liverpool with Havertz.

Personally, I think Havertz would fit in extremely well with Liverpool. As much as I wanted Pulisic to come to Liverpool, I would prefer Havertz. Something about Kai - the way he moves out on the field, seems to see the play and field very well. Has a great number of tricks with the ball at his feet. He is capable of scoring goals or assisting, and this year is doing more work in midfield than he did last year.

Kai had a fantastic year last year, but is only "good" this year as opposition seems to have focused on him more than in the past in part (my opinion) due to the loss of Brandt. So it's an adjustment period as the club play differently and he matures. He's big, has good speed but doesn't look like he's racing out there. Instead he seems to be someone who appears to glide along the field. I think he could give Liverpool a number of options for playing style and how to use him in various styles. That is one of the things that make me think he could be a very good player for Klopp --- if a formation or playing style isn't working right now, we change it up and players on the pitch just adapt with it so well. I think Havertz could do that excellently. In the end, I could see him as a Kevin de Bruyne player --- with the potential to be that good.

I am not a professional scout (oh that would be fun) and I don't see him week in and week out, but every time I watch him I just get the impression he is a class player, very skillful, and still a big ceiling. I would love to have him at Liverpool... but I would not want us to pay more than 60M for him.

Honestly, the one that I'd really like to see at Liverpool is Gio Reyna at Dortmund. He turned 17 in November and is the son of former USA player Claudio Reyna. He's getting significant minutes for Dortmund already, and I think he'll surpass Pulisic by the age of 19 and I hope he doesn't jump ship from the USA team -- can't imagine he would, but he was born in Sunderland and is eligible for USA, Portugal, England, Argentina. He's the youngest to ever play for Dortmund in the Champion's League and did well against PSG recently (linking up with Haaland).

Last edited:

gr_sounder

Like any other player when you watch a game, some good some bad, hard to watch his team as there isn't really another player to watch. Watched most of the last game vs Augsburg, nice pass for assist.

Yes, can make immediate impact. Will improve one hell of a lot with Jürgen and the Liverpool players. Brandt (23) was the best player he has played with, and he has left for Dortmund at end of last season.
Completely agree with you that there isn't much else to watch on that team now that Brandt left.
I like Kai, he seems a class above the rest of the team and his tricks and movement would just blend in so much better with Liverpool.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

I am not a professional scout (oh that would be fun) and I don't see him week in and week out, but every time I watch him I just get the impression he is a class player, very skillful, and still a big ceiling. I would love to have him at Liverpool... but I would not want us to pay more than 60M for him.

(...)
Thank you. (y)

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Werner and Havertz will happen
Has there been any link to Werner? Sure, he's given us the puppy dog eyes, but we don't just take what we can get anymore like we are Manchester United. We have the power. A player wanting to come to us does not a reliable rumour make.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Has there been any link to Werner? Sure, he's given us the puppy dog eyes, but we don't just take what we can get anymore like we are Manchester United. We have the power. A player wanting to come to us does not a reliable rumour make.
Do you live in a hole? More links to Werner than Simao.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Yep, much more reliable links to Werner than Havertz, which is a shame as Havertz is twice the player Werner is.

Just scored again for Leverkusen, he seems to be back on top form. Wonderful player.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yep, much more reliable links to Werner than Havertz, which is a shame as Havertz is twice the player Werner is.

Just scored again for Leverkusen, he seems to be back on top form. Wonderful player.
In all fairness I don't actually believe there is such a thing as reliable links these days. At least not till about 2/3 days before its completion. All even the most connected seem to be told is that someone is considered interesting and the club keep an eye on them. Or that we have zero interest (sometimes, and even then it's sometimes "at this time").

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
In all fairness I don't actually believe there is such a thing as reliable links these days. At least not till about 2/3 days before its completion. All even the most connected seem to be told is that someone is considered interesting and the club keep an eye on them. Or that we have zero interest (sometimes, and even then it's sometimes "at this time").
Well, I hope you're right. I just don't think Werner does much to solve the issues we've had recently against low blocks. I would prefer a more technical player.

An assist for Havertz there just after he had a goal chalked out for offside in the build up. He's showed some versatility with his positions for Leverkusen but doing very well as the #9 today.

Keegans Perm

Well, I hope you're right. I just don't think Werner does much to solve the issues we've had recently against low blocks. I would prefer a more technical player.

An assist for Havertz there just after he had a goal chalked out for offside in the build up. He's showed some versatility with his positions for Leverkusen but doing very well as the #9 today.
I agree in that thinking. Havertz would be my number 1 choice for incomings this summer. I think he would benefit the team the most with his technical ability and I think we'd be a lot more unpredictable with him in the side.

nobluff

The guy is making himself more expensive.

FGred

Havertz would be more important than Werner for us he could be slotted in in a few positions but Mbappe it is not realistic to be able to sign him because of his huge price?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Havertz would be more important than Werner for us he could be slotted in in a few positions but Mbappe it is not realistic to be able to sign him because of his huge price?
I think thats why he has such a premium.. As ILLOK said he can play false no.9, no.10, no.8 or outwide - And all at a really high standard.

Ignoring Mbappe, Sancho or Havertz would be fantastic in the summer.