• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Kevin Gameiro (FW) PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
You need proper forwards in the 433 that Rodgers plays. The front line isn't winger-striker-winger. If there is room for a winger then the other two positions should be forwards.
Thats similar to how I see it, I see a front 2 who push right up the pitch but also generate width with Suarez playing between these two, dropping deep or getting ahead of them in the old number 10 or false 9 position. Basically Suarez is key to the formation, but ONLY if you have to men up top who press the ball with him, offer a danger in behind or offer width. I suppose Gameiro, Walcott, Ince, Borini, Sterling, Shelvey, Downing etc can fill thie OTHER position. However, the idea of this tactic is that you press the ball high up the pitch. If you dont do this collectively it is a waste of time and so you would have to drop your front two back into wide positions in midfield and return to 451. For this tactic to work, the entire team must buy into the workrate, something that I think Rodgers has had a little bit of difficulty in implementing.(sorry got way off topic here, I might repost this elsewhere!)

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Thats similar to how I see it, I see a front 2 who push right up the pitch but also generate width with Suarez playing between these two, dropping deep or getting ahead of them in the old number 10 or false 9 position. Basically Suarez is key to the formation, but ONLY if you have to men up top who press the ball with him, offer a danger in behind or offer width. I suppose Gameiro, Walcott, Ince, Borini, Sterling, Shelvey, Downing etc can fill thie OTHER position. However, the idea of this tactic is that you press the ball high up the pitch. If you dont do this collectively it is a waste of time and so you would have to drop your front two back into wide positions in midfield and return to 451. For this tactic to work, the entire team must buy into the workrate, something that I think Rodgers has had a little bit of difficulty in implementing.(sorry got way off topic here, I might repost this elsewhere!)
Might aswell switch to 3-5-2 then. I'm way more confident in a real CB covering for our backs going forward than a midfield acting like one, it just bring so much unbalance to our midfield. We saw the effect against QPR when lucas was subbed on, suddenly QPR started to gain the ball more and press us, why? cause our midfield was now in unbalance compare to first half, the best 45min we played this season according to stevie.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Might aswell switch to 3-5-2 then. I'm way more confident in a real CB covering for our backs going forward than a midfield acting like one, it just bring so much unbalance to our midfield. We saw the effect against QPR when lucas was subbed on, suddenly QPR started to gain the ball more and press us, why? cause our midfield was now in unbalance compare to first half, the best 45min we played this season according to stevie.
We were losing the midfield battle for 10 minutes before Lucas came on because we didnt get the numbers in there that were needed, not because of the personel. We simply didnt react tactically to Harry going to 351 and QPR put some pride back into their performance. (I stated all this in the post match thread) but the most concerning thing is that nobody on the bench that day had the bottle to change something that the manager had set out as the plan.I am unsure about going 3 at the back regularly, it works, but not as well as 433 or 451. A good defensive midfielder acts as the sweeper protecting the back two and filling the spaces left by the full backs. it is a challenging position, but stops attacks 15 yards away from the centre halves and as a result, further away from goal.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
We were losing the midfield battle for 10 minutes before Lucas came on because we didnt get the numbers in there that were needed, not because of the personel. We simply didnt react tactically to Harry going to 351 and QPR put some pride back into their performance. (I stated all this in the post match thread) but the most concerning thing is that nobody on the bench that day had the bottle to change something that the manager had set out as the plan.I am unsure about going 3 at the back regularly, it works, but not as well as 433 or 451. A good defensive midfielder acts as the sweeper protecting the back two and filling the spaces left by the full backs. it is a challenging position, but stops attacks 15 yards away from the centre halves and as a result, further away from goal.
It's not nearly as effective as you describe it tho, I don't know if you noticed, but since he came back everytime he plays we are constantly overrun through the middle. That's why I rather see a CB doing it, atleast they are not left behind the same way that he is. Besides what he offers going forward is equal to a CB, even less if you compare to agger.I know people don't like to hear the harsh truth about someone they like, but he's been way under standard since he came back, saying otherwise is just ignoring it really, I think there a big chance he's never gonna be the same player again.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
You need proper forwards in the 433 that Rodgers plays. The front line isn't winger-striker-winger. If there is room for a winger then the other two positions should be forwards.
But the system BR had at Swansea was different wasnt it? as there i thought he was playing two wingers. Why would he be changing from that?

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
But the system BR had at Swansea was different wasnt it? as there i thought he was playing two wingers. Why would he be changing from that?
Because he doesn't have a Target man up top like he did there? I'm not sure, but it looks like a way to get the most out of Suarez

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
At Swansea he had to make do with what he had a bit but Sinclair is more a wide striker than a traditional winger.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
At Swansea he had to make do with what he had a bit but Sinclair is more a wide striker than a traditional winger.
This is probably more accurate from Swansea last season. Sinclair is the pace / winger. He covers more ground because of pace. This would be Sterling (he would be opposite Glen Johnson who is providing width on the right.Dyer role would be Suarez / Sturridge interchanging.Sigurdssson would be Belhanda.Graham would be Sturridge / Suarez.Similar look from Barcelona a few years back if we sign Gameiro instead.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Gameiro and Ince will at least improve options.

Rotating front three options: Suarez, Sturridge, Gameiro, Borini, Sterling, Suso, Ince.

Should mean Cole and Downing would finally leave.
If Downing is playing well, do you think they might stall till the summer to get a better player than Ince? I am not so sure that Ince is any better than Downing at the moment, who is enjoying a bit of a revival. I would think that getting Gameiro on loan would be fantastic and other than Ince or Downing, I think the front 6 rotating for the top 3 positions would be enough at least to bring us to the summer

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
If Downing is playing well, do you think they might stall till the summer to get a better player than Ince? I am not so sure that Ince is any better than Downing at the moment, who is enjoying a bit of a revival. I would think that getting Gameiro on loan would be fantastic and other than Ince or Downing, I think the front 6 rotating for the top 3 positions would be enough at least to bring us to the summer
At this point with Sturridge and Borini coming back and hopefully Belhanda or Gameiro, I can't see Downing getting much time. I think he'll stay as cover for Enrique at LB. Unless we sign a decent one. We can easily sell him to a newly promoted team or a bottom half team.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
At this point with Sturridge and Borini coming back and hopefully Belhanda or Gameiro, I can't see Downing getting much time. I think he'll stay as cover for Enrique at LB. Unless we sign a decent one. We can easily sell him to a newly promoted team or a bottom half team.
Belhanda? Any quotes or something?

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Personally, I would love Kevin Gameiro at LFC ... I have first noticed the player when he was still with Strasbourg, and he has improved since, first with Lorient, and now with PSG ... He is pretty diminutive for a striker (5'8"), but has a good pace and a very solid technique, so he could adapt to Rodgers' attacking system ... His pace, technique and mobility would allow him to play the role of a wide forward in Rodgers' 4-3-3, even though he is better suited to the role of the central forward in our system ...

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Such players fit into the system of BR because in his system, there is no true no.9, every one of the 3 attacking players is a no. 9, needs to be fluid, dynamic and direct and plays off each other of the other 3.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
Personally, I would love Kevin Gameiro at LFC ... I have first noticed the player when he was still with Strasbourg, and he has improved since, first with Lorient, and now with PSG ... He is pretty diminutive for a striker (5'8"), but has a good pace and a very solid technique, so he could adapt to Rodgers' attacking system ... His pace, technique and mobility would allow him to play the role of a wide forward in Rodgers' 4-3-3, even though he is better suited to the role of the central forward in our system ...
even though I'd love him here, I can't see that happening...between Hoarau and him, the former looks closer to a PSG exit, and I can't see Paris offloading two strikers in the same transfer window. they may have Ibra sucking as many minutes on the pitch upfront out of them as possible, but Paris need a back-up plan (cup games, injuries and the possible ban Ibra faces for stomping deliberately on Dejan Lovren), and Gameiro is the best option if there is a toss-up to be made with Hoarau.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The player has dismissed the link to LFC or any other club. He won't go to any other club, at least until this summer.

Thread closed.

It can be reopened if he changes his mind, which would be very surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.