• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (ST) Schalke 04

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Liverpool eye Huntelaar swoop
Liverpool are plotting to end their striker crisis by signing Dutch hot-shot Klaas-Jan Huntelaar from Schalke when the January transfer window opens, according to ESPNsources.

[background=transparent]
[/background]
[background=transparent][background=transparent]Klaas-Jan Huntelaar: Bound for England?[/background][/background]

Anfield chiefs believe they could secure the services of 29-year-old striker in a cut-price £6 million, with manager Brendan Rodgers desperate to bolster his striking options after his side missed a host of chances once again in their 1-1 draw against Newcastle on Sunday.

Huntelaar has already scored eight goals for Schalke this season, backing up his impressive haul of 44 goals for club and country last term, and while a move for the former AC Milan striker would divert away from Liverpool's bid to sign youthful performers, his value price-tag and ability to make an instant impact in the Premier League should persuade the club's American owners to sanction the deal.

Liverpool continue to be linked with a move for Arsenal contract rebel Theo Walcott, but ESPN sources suggest the inflated wage demands of the England attacking starlet may scupper any proposed move to Anfield.

http://soccernet.esp...r-swoop?cc=3436
Getting a bit more serious now.

DeathOrGlory

Would be ecstatic if we got him for 6 Million.

Doubt it though. Any club with any sense will try to hold us for ransom, especially with our history.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I will be very disappointed if we sign Hintelaar over Llorente ... We have made the same mistake in January 2011, when we have signed Carroll over Llorente, and we are still paying for that mistake ... Huntelaar has "Robbie Keane" written all over him ...

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I will be very disappointed if we sign Hintelaar over Llorente ... We have made the same mistake in January 2011, when we have signed Carroll over Llorente, and we are still paying for that mistake ... Huntelaar has "Robbie Keane" written all over him ...
I'm not so sure why a large number of people think Huntelaar will be the next Keane, and also why Llotente is the better buy?

I for one would be delighted if we get Huntelaar for around $6 Million. Llorente would never cost us that little. Huntelaar also had success with Suarez and he has something to prove after a few poor spells at other big clubs.

I've said it before - I'm not that bothered by Llorente. I've seen him play and he is quality, but he's one of those players that I'd be more than happy to be here, but not bothered if we don't get him. My arguement has always been that he hasn't ever moved to one of the big Spanish clubs and for me that seems a bit weird considering the reputation that he has put against him. All that said, Michu has been fantastic for Swansea so what do I know!

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I'm not so sure why a large number of people think Huntelaar will be the next Keane, and also why Llotente is the better buy?

I for one would be delighted if we get Huntelaar for around $6 Million. Llorente would never cost us that little. Huntelaar also had success with Suarez and he has something to prove after a few poor spells at other big clubs.

I've said it before - I'm not that bothered by Llorente. I've seen him play and he is quality, but he's one of those players that I'd be more than happy to be here, but not bothered if we don't get him. My arguement has always been that he hasn't ever moved to one of the big Spanish clubs and for me that seems a bit weird considering the reputation that he has put against him. All that said, Michu has been fantastic for Swansea so what do I know!
Huntelaar and Suarez have never won anything playing together ... Llorente is a Basque playing for Athletic Bilbao, and they don't go to Barca or Real Madrid too often ... As for the Llorente vs. Huntelaar comparison, I have made a little analysis of their goalscoring at club level ...

You would notice that Llorente's goalscoring was improving every season, until this summer when he was frozen by the Athletic Bilbao president because he has refused to sign a new contract, and is yet to start a game in any competition this season ... So basically, Llorente's price has dropped even further because of the situation that he is in, and he wouldn't cost more than 6-8 million ...

As for Huntelaar, you would notice some terrible inconsistency in his goalscoring ... I know that many people are rating him based on the last season when he has scored a goal per game, but anyone expecting that he would replicate that kind of a goalscoring record at LFC will be bitterly disappointed ...

lollysuarez

Macedonian, Are you Llorente agent by anychance?

Between () goals, Number of games in red
Senior career* Years Team Apps[sup]†[/sup] (Gls)[sup]†[/sup] 2002–2004 PSV 1 (0) 2003 → De Graafschap (loan) 9 (0) 2003–2004 → AGOVV (loan) 35 (26) 2004–2006 Heerenveen 46 (33) 2006–2009 Ajax 92 (76) 2009 Real Madrid 20 (8) 2009–2010 Milan 25 (7) 2010– Schalke 04 62 (40)
Huntelaar

Senior career* Years Team Apps[sup]†[/sup] (Gls)[sup]†[/sup] 2003–2004 Baskonia 33 (12) 2004–2005 Bilbao Athletic 16 (4) 2005– Athletic Bilbao 240 (81)
Llorente

Kenism

Not - BANNED
£6m is an unbelivable deal for Huntelaar. I'd be happy to see us pay up to £15m for this guy. Bags of talent, natural finisher and has a wonderful understanding Suarez.

This guy should be pursued greatly.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Between () goals, Number of games in red
Senior career* Years Team Apps[sup]†[/sup] (Gls)[sup]†[/sup] 2002–2004 PSV 1 (0) 2003 → De Graafschap (loan) 9 (0) 2003–2004 → AGOVV (loan) 35 (26) 2004–2006 Heerenveen 46 (33) 2006–2009 Ajax 92 (76) 2009 Real Madrid 20 (8) 2009–2010 Milan 25 (7) 2010– Schalke 04 62 (40)
Huntelaar

Senior career* Years Team Apps[sup]†[/sup] (Gls)[sup]†[/sup] 2003–2004 Baskonia 33 (12) 2004–2005 Bilbao Athletic 16 (4) 2005– Athletic Bilbao 240 (81)
Llorente
You can't make an analysis by just throwing in numbers from Wikipedia ... As I have already shown above, Huntelaar has been very inconsistent in his scoring ... True, he has scored 48 goals in 48 appearances for Schalke last season, but he has also scored 13 goals in goals in 35 appearances for them the season before, and he has returned to the 0.500 ratio this season ... Basically, he has been hot-and-cold since he has left Ajax (mostly cold), and there is a good reason to believe that he would struggle to adapt to LFC and the Premier League in general, since he has struggled in his first season in La Liga, in the Serie A and in the Bundesliga ... Now, if he was some 21-22 year old player, we might gamble on him and wait for him to adapt ... However, he is turning 30 next summer, and there is no real margin for error at that age ...

funkynoise74

Didn't we approach Llorente in January 2011 before we bought Carroll? Or is that just a rumour that went flying about?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Fk it, lets get both Huntelaar and Llorente in. If they're both £6M thats £12 in total.

Macedonion Red - Llorente has never moved from his club so we don't know what he'll be like when he leaves. For Huntelaar he moved to Real Madrid which is never easy for a striker, then he tried in Italy where the football is totally different to the Dutch league. Dutch lads seem to adapt to the pace of English football quite well, as do Spanish lads obviously.

Either way, I want one of these two signed up, or someone with equally as good a reputation.

lollysuarez

You can't make an analysis by just throwing in numbers from Wikipedia ... As I have already shown above, Huntelaar has been very inconsistent in his scoring ... True, he has scored 48 goals in 48 appearances for Schalke last season, but he has also scored 13 goals in goals in 35 appearances for them the season before, and he has returned to the 0.500 ratio this season ... Basically, he has been hot-and-cold since he has left Ajax (mostly cold), and there is a good reason to believe that he would struggle to adapt to LFC and the Premier League in general, since he has struggled in his first season in La Liga, in the Serie A and in the Bundesliga ... Now, if he was some 21-22 year old player, we might gamble on him and wait for him to adapt ... However, he is turning 30 next summer, and there is no real margin for error at that age ...
Guilty as charged. :D
I see what you mean by Huntelaar being same age as Van Persie :rolleyes: , but Llorente is not spring chicken either. I thought the whole point was bringing someone with experience who'd get on with Suarez straight away, for the future we have the kiddies

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Didn't we approach Llorente in January 2011 before we bought Carroll? Or is that just a rumour that went flying about?
Yes, we did ... Athletic Bilbao were requesting the full €36 million release clause to be paid ... According to reports in the Spanish press, the best offer we have made was €27 million ... When Torres was sold on the last day of the transfer window, there was no time to finalize the Llorente deal, so we have went for Carroll instead ... The rest is history ... By the way, it is not very often that a club gets the chance to correct a massive mistake in the transfer market ...

DeathOrGlory

I think if we looked the other way and didn't go for Huntelaar or Llorente, Rich would have a meltdown.

It's the failure to take these kinds of chances that has held us back for so many years. Falcao, Alves etc.

Look at the scum, they didn't care about RVP's age, and of course reaping the benefits. I'd be spitting chips if we didn't go for Huntelaar simply because he isn't barely out of his teenage years.

Just get it done before the last couple of days of the window is upon us.

funkynoise74

Yes, we did ... Athletic Bilbao were requesting the full €36 million release clause to be paid ... According to reports in the Spanish press, the best offer we have made was €27 million ... When Torres was sold on the last day of the transfer window, there was no time to finalize the Llorente deal, so we have went for Carroll instead ... The rest is history ... By the way, it is not very often that a club gets the chance to correct a massive mistake in the transfer market ...
Cheers for that, I wasn't sure whether it was true or not. Lets just hope that we do get the chance to correct the mistakes in January.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Cheers for that, I wasn't sure whether it was true or not. Lets just hope that we do get the chance to correct the mistakes in January.
Well, if the reports about Huntelaar are true, we are very likely to repeat a huge mistake from the summer of 2008, instead of correcting a huge mistake from January 2011 ...

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
You can't make an analysis by just throwing in numbers from Wikipedia ... As I have already shown above, Huntelaar has been very inconsistent in his scoring ... True, he has scored 48 goals in 48 appearances for Schalke last season, but he has also scored 13 goals in goals in 35 appearances for them the season before, and he has returned to the 0.500 ratio this season ... Basically, he has been hot-and-cold since he has left Ajax (mostly cold), and there is a good reason to believe that he would struggle to adapt to LFC and the Premier League in general, since he has struggled in his first season in La Liga, in the Serie A and in the Bundesliga ... Now, if he was some 21-22 years old player, we might gamble on him and wait for him to adapt ... However, he is turning 30 next summer, and there is no real margin for error at that age ...
Your figures/graph are based on 1 guy who has moved a number of times compared to another guy who has been played consistently over that period for the same club.He didn't get the opportunities he deserved at Real or Milan so had to move or was moved on.In that period,while moving twice,being played out of position or only used sparingly or both,he still managed a goal every 3 games compared to Llorente,s goal every 2.5 games,not a massive difference.

Had he stayed and played in his natural position for Ajax,i'm in no doubt his record would have increased year on year,without the slump in 09/10.We would then be looking at 2 guys who had never moved from their home country but Huntelaar,as he already does, would have a far superior goals to games ratio.

Even if we take it that in the 2nd half of this season he may need time to adapt then he should be ready to fire on all cylinders for the 2013/2014 season.At least we know he can adapt,given some time,as well as giving us some goals while he is doing so.We haven't got a clue weather or not Llorente can adapt his game to any team outside of Bilbao,and if he can how long it would take.

Huntelaar ,as reported,could be got for 6mp.We don't know how much Llorente could be got for,any figure is only a guess.

rab

If it was a straight choice between the two for similar money then i'd pick Llorente. Great with his head, great with the ball at his feet and just wants to be in the box and score goals and does so consistently. He also has a greater aeriaI presence than Huntelaar which gives us a different dimension to our attacking options at the moment. I don't mean for pinging long balls into but sometimes we get players to the byline looking to put it in dangerous areas and if the direct route to feet is blocked off we have to come out and start again. Llorente would give us the aeriel threat of Carroll but in addition to the great feet, work ethic and technique.

I also think he comes across as a more determined and driven player than Huntelaar who whilst a good finisher appears to be someone who finishes off a move and not someone greatly involved in the build up or paticualrly keen to be pressing defenders when we don't have possession. Does have previous good chemistry with Suarez though

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If it was a straight choice between the two for similar money then i'd pick Llorente. Great with his head, great with the ball at his feet and just wants to be in the box and score goals and does so consistently. He also has a greater aeriaI presence than Huntelaar which gives us a different dimension to our attacking options at the moment. I don't mean for pinging long balls into but sometimes we get players to the byline looking to put it in dangerous areas and if the direct route to feet is blocked off we have to come out and start again. Llorente would give us the aeriel threat of Carroll but in addition to the great feet, work ethic and technique.

I also think he comes across as a more determined and driven player than Huntelaar who whilst a good finisher appears to be someone who finishes off a move and not someone greatly involved in the build up or paticualrly keen to be pressing defenders when we don't have possession. Does have previous good chemistry with Suarez though
Llorente has 36 assists in 300 games at Bilbao, Huntelaar already has 21 in 97 at Schalke. Huntelaar scores more, assists more, will cost less, has adapted to more leagues and hasnt potentially already turned us down in the past. Huntelaar has also played in similar systems to ours at Ajax an for the Dutch team. Llorente has only ever played in a direct system either counter attacking Bilbao or direct "plan b" Spain. I dont understand this debate at all.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Your figures/graph are based on 1 guy who has moved a number of times compared to another guy who has been played consistently over that period for the same club.He didn't get the opportunities he deserved at Real or Milan so had to move or was moved on.In that period,while moving twice,being played out of position or only used sparingly or both,he still managed a goal every 3 games compared to Llorente,s goal every 2.5 games,not a massive difference.

Had he stayed and played in his natural position for Ajax,i'm in no doubt his record would have increased year on year,without the slump in 09/10.We would then be looking at 2 guys who had never moved from their home country but Huntelaar,as he already does, would have a far superior goals to games ratio.
Yes, Huntelaar would have probably had a better goalscoring record had he stayed at Ajax, but have you ever asked yourself why has failed to adapt at both Real Madrid and AC Milan?

You are saying that he has been played out of position at AC Milan, yet their starting striker at the time, who has kept Huntelaar on the bench, was Marco Borriello (not the 36-year-old Pipo Inzaghi, as some people have suggested), who was a much better fit for the 4-3-3 system that Leonardo was employing at AC MIlan at the time, with Pato and Ronaldinho in the wide forwards positions ...

To summarize, Huntelaar has a "Robbie Keane" written all over him ... An impressive goalscoring record at international level, a very good goalscoring record at solid clubs (Leeds, Tottenham), and a failure to impress at the highest level (Inter, LFC) ...

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member

Obviously had to look it up,but in the past 2 seasons neither have been fantastic in terms of assists.While playing a very similar amount of games Llorente has 6 assists while Huntelaar has 14 in that time.

Haven't counted this season since Llorente hasn't had much game time.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Yes, Huntelaar would have probably had a better goalscoring record had he stayed at Ajax, but have you ever asked yourself why has failed to adapt at both Real Madrid and AC Milan?

You are saying that he has been played out of position at AC Milan, yet their starting striker at the time, who has kept Huntelaar on the bench, was Marco Borriello (not the 36-year-old Pipo Inzaghi, as some people have suggested), who was a much better fit for the 4-3-3 system that Leonardo was employing at AC MIlan at the time, with Pato and Ronaldinho in the wide forwards positions ...

To summarize, Huntelaar has a "Robbie Keane" written all over him ... An impressive goalscoring record at international level, a very good goalscoring record at solid clubs (Leeds, Tottenham), and a failure to impress at the highest level (Inter, LFC) ...
He had just moved for the second time in 6/8mths.Now your comparing him to a Italian who was already at Milan.As we have seen with the majority of players who move,it can take some time to adjust/adapt,especially when moving to another league.

He wasn't given a proper go at Milan.Maybe if he was he would have done better.How would Borriello have done had the roles been reversed.

Any player who finds themselves in and out of a side,,weather that be due to club politics,injury or for any other reason,we are gonna find their performance is inconsistent.If we do this to Huntelaar then that is what could happen,just as if we do it to Llorente,just as we did it to Keane.

Status
Not open for further replies.