• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (ST) Schalke 04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
As interesting as this discussion has the potential to be, it has very little (read as: abso-fuckin'-lutely nothin') to do with Huntelaar.

rab

So, now we are comparing the World Cup Finals with the Major League Soccer?
You responded to a post about the number of Americans watching the Euro quarter finals by asking what about the Superbowl or World Series figures were. I linked to an article about comparing the viewing figures in the States for the last World Cup final compared to the World Series of the same year.

I was answering your question and thought it was a very simple way to show that Americans have an interest and watch football that I thought even you would be able to grasp :rolleyes:

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
You responded to a post about the number of Americans watching the Euro quarter finals by asking what about the Superbowl or World Series figures were. I linked to an article about comparing the viewing figures in the States for the last World Cup final compared to the World Series of the same year.

I was answering your question and thought it was a very simple way to show that Americans have an interest and watch football that I thought even you would be able to grasp :rolleyes:
Well, I also watch the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Cricket World Cup and the America's Cup, but that doesn't makes me a fan of those sports ... I am merely a sports fan, and I watch them because I am always curious to see a big sporting event ...

When you give me the numbers on the viewers of the MLS finals, we might have a discussion on the future of soccer as a major sport in the USA ...

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Well, I also watch the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Cricket World Cup and the America's Cup, but that doesn't makes me a fan of those sports ... I am merely a sports fan, and I watch them because I am always curious to see a big sporting event ...

When you give me the numbers on the viewers of the MLS finals, we might have a discussion on the future of soccer as a major sport in the USA ...
$250 million was paid by NBC to broadcast 6 EPL matches per week for 3 years. We aren't talking about the popularity or potential of the MLS, we're talking about America as a growing football market.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Why am I reading about football in North America?

It'd be better discussed in a different topic so the people who couldn't give a shit about that discussion could come in here and read and discuss the possibility of signing Klaas Jan Huntelaar, as the original post intended.

rab

So only the number of people who watch the domestic final is an indicator of the level of interest in the game country wide? Really?

I watch a lot of rugby union, I attend quite a few Premiership games every season at one of the top teams in the country and own a number of pieces of merchandise but if the Guiness Premiership final doesn't feature my team im not going to be that fussed about watching it on TV. Does that mean im not a rugby fan?

When you stop being ridiculous feel free to go and look the figures up yourself and interpret them anyway you like. It's a well know fact that football is a growing sport in the USA there is actual real evidence of this as i've already directed you to, all you have is a misguided opinion that you refuse to acknowledge is wrong despite facts to the contrary.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
The highest number of people in the US to watch a PL game is 1.6M (Liverpool vs Chelsea), which is a better indicator of club football, and how big the market really is in the States. (Rather than international football which is a bit different ie I watch international rugby, cricket etc but not club level). Current record for this season is 1.033M

The highest viewing figures world wide are predicted to be around 1 Bn (Arsenal vs United 2007). Which shows how small the market (relatively) still is in the States. Few reasons for this, many countries in Asia have the PL on free to air eg 30M people in China watch it regularly not to mention huge followings in countries like Thailand

Mac_Red is really quite right to say to concentrate on Asia. The US market is difficult to penetrate because those 1M fans are distributed over such a vast area. Compare to say Australia who have similar viewing figures (double the amount for FA cup final) and vast majority of population live in half a dozen cities (with similar disposable income)

Whilst there is the question income for those in Asia (and counterfeit goods), perhaps the biggest plus indirect revenue (eg like Standard Chartered deal)

TFC

TIA Squad Member
... not to mention huge followings in countries like Thailand
The discussion isn't where there is a larger market, but whether or not the American market it worth caring about.

Thailand by far has a larger EPL following than America, yet their 3 year broadcasting deal with Thailand Cable Holdings to broadcast all of the leagues matches across Thailand, Cambodia and Laos was worth $318 million while a similar deal which would broadcast fewer matches to a smaller audience in America was worth $250 million.

Its just silly to think that a market as rich as the American market isn't worth caring about.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
This thread just cannot stay on topic, not quite sure what American football has to do with Huntelaar, but maybe it doesn't matter to some.

Still of the opinion he would do very nicely for us, while he isn't playing American football ;)

SF Red

TIA Regular
Wait-Huntelaar is going to MLS? Or Thailand?

What happened to this thread?

Btw-think Huntelaar is a very good player that could improve us in the short run. I see him as one if those players that can help us get into top 4 - not necessarily help us take the next step of challenging for the league.

Doubt he will come though-CL and higher wages elsewhere.

Reactions: TFC

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The discussion isn't where there is a larger market, but whether or not the American market it worth caring about.

Thailand by far has a larger EPL following than America, yet their 3 year broadcasting deal with Thailand Cable Holdings to broadcast all of the leagues matches across Thailand, Cambodia and Laos was worth $318 million while a similar deal which would broadcast fewer matches to a smaller audience in America was worth $250 million.

Its just silly to think that a market as rich as the American market isn't worth caring about.
Well Malaysia had just concluded their deal worth USD 300 mil a year for the next 3 years. It is the licensing rights by geographical as much as it is on viewing numbers. And Indonesia is also paying 350mil for theirs as well. The geographical size of the country plays an important role when it comes to broadcasting rights. Guess how spread these places are TFC?

In the US, there are too many sports for people to follow. Although football is the most played game for kids, but when they grow up they would most probably go into the traditional US sports, because that is where the money is.

And lastly..... Why would Huntelaar want to come to us if it is not for higher wages? Can someone shed some light on this? We don't have Champs League, we have rookie manager and we are not exactly filled with the Agueros, Messis and Silvas of the world. So what would the reason for him to move from a Champs League side, to us? For the love of FA Cup tradition?

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Well, eddie...

*puts on Red sunglasses*

We've got history. Huntelaar loves his history.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
And lastly..... Why would Huntelaar want to come to us if it is not for higher wages? Can someone shed some light on this? We don't have Champs League, we have rookie manager and we are not exactly filled with the Agueros, Messis and Silvas of the world. So what would the reason for him to move from a Champs League side, to us? For the love of FA Cup tradition?
I'm guessing (and hoping) he'd want to come here because he wants to play in the EPL and the teams in the CL don't need him. Utd and City already have enough strikers, Chelsea are after the top, top players that we have very little chance in getting and Arsenal rarely spend any money. Also having Suarez here should help. This doesn't explain why he would leave a CL club i know, it's just if he does want to play in the EPL then he knows we can't wait until the summer. If he doesn't come now then we will buy someone else and his chance of playing for us may well be gone for good.

Apart from that the amount of chances we're creating SHOULD have most strikers thinking they could really make a mark in the league. This probably sounds like i'm making excuses for why he should come here :), the fact is i can't see us getting a Falcao or Cavani and i think Huntelaar is the best of the rest, again, just my personal opinion of how he'd fit into the team. I suppose though it will come down to money in the end, if he has a lot better offer somewhere else we probably won't get him but i'd be more than happy to offload Cole and give Huntelaar his wages, swapping a non player for someone who could change things for us.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I asked this question further back in this thread...don't really understand what the draw would be (aside from playing for one of the greatest club sides in europe) I doubt Huntelaar is quite as passionate about this as we want him to be...maybe his though?

Lucas

The Schalke boss has come out today and said there have been "no concrete" offers or enquiries about Holtby or Huntelaar, but has admitted that there is a danger both could leave in January. Looks like were gunna have to wait and see. Holtby is also on the verge of signing a new contract apparently.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
I asked this question further back in this thread...don't really understand what the draw would be (aside from playing for one of the greatest club sides in europe) I doubt Huntelaar is quite as passionate about this as we want him to be...maybe his though?
There is absolutely nothing from him to suggest he would want to come to us.Why would he want to come to a europa leage,mid table,Epl team and at lower wages to what is being offered elsewhere.At the moment that is what our current team is.

But it has been suggested he wants to play in the premier league.If this is true then there are 6,possibly 7 teams who could sign him.
It's unlikely that utd and city would go for him or that he would go to them since they are fully stocked with strikers.Arsenal and newcastle are unlikely to go anywhere near 100+k a week for him.Chelsea will probably go for falco or cavani,although there is the possibility they could go for Huntelaar and no doubt spurs will look at him too.
So in my opinion,if he does indeed want to play in england,then we are in competition with 2 others for his signature.He'll get the money he wants at chelsea,but there is always the feeling that roman will want his star name and overrule the manager or that under a new manager either torres will improve or sturridge may get more gametime as well,so hopefully that will rule them out as a choice for him.
That leaves ourselves and spurs and to be honest i think it would be a 50/50 choice for him.The only plus we may have over them at this time is maybe he sees playing alongside suarez again as something he wants to do.

It really depends on weather he wants to play in the premiership,if he does he may take the lower wage(albeit still getting 100k/week).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Simple fact is Huntelaar has been places for money and it bit him in the arse.

He now (apparently of course as I dont know the guy but the Dutch media seem convinced) wants to play for one of Europes big name clubs to prove himself in a way he failed to at Madrid and Milan.

He also wants to be confident of getting a chance, week in week out playing time and not rotated off the bench.

He has also previously shown that he would preferably like to play in England.

Unless people have an inflated opinion of Spurs or Newcastle in comparison to us then that logically leads to us being the forerunners.

Arsenal would of been but cant see that being likely, Arsenal buying three big money signing strikers in one season?

However there is of course the question mark over whether we will try to sign the guy at all.

But the guy wont stay at Schalke, his number 1 desire is to play for Holland in Brazil and despite outscoring Van Persie whilst he is at Schalke that still isnt happening he needs to be playing at a high profile club to make that happen.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
one of the draws is to play with his former strike partner.. currently the best player in the league.. this is probably the biggest reason why he would come to us

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Like Anfield rd Dreamer said, he is desperate to prove himself with a big club. If he could contribute and help us have a good season, he will automatically be selected for the dutch squad. Heck, even babel with his minimum playing time won the runners up medal [ofcourse didnt feature].
1. Deadly combo luis+huntelaar [already proven]
2. Huntelaar bangs goals, which we need
3. Huntelaar desperate to prove himselves, we can guarentee him starting 11 berth[provided he retains his form]
4.Wage shouldnt be a issue

I dont consider other signings as important, if we tie huntelaar up, this would be one heck of a signing.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Indianscouser, 3 and 4 is questionable, unless Suarez plays on the left or right side and he is only asking for 50K a week at most. If not, tough call to make.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Indianscouser, 3 and 4 is questionable, unless Suarez plays on the left or right side and he is only asking for 50K a week at most. If not, tough call to make.
Why is 4 questionable? I know we turned away Sigurdsson due to his wage demands and signed the likes of Allen and Borini (still relatively unproven young players) low wages to start with. But we have given huge wage increases to some of our top players. Some sources seem to think we are paying around 80k a week or more for Sahin, Doni is supposed to be on top moolah for a keeper and Carroll was on big wages too along with Bellamy. Just because FSG dont want bench stars and unproven younger players on big wages why is everybody convinced we only pay low? As for starting football even if he was as bad as his time in Madrid (goal every 140 minutes) or Milan (goal every 195 minutes) he would still be our second biggest goal scoring threat by country mile. At his worst Huntelaar still improves our goal scoring as a team.

rab

In all honesty after the Cole saga I can't see FSG sanctioning us paying Huntelaar anything approaching what he's reportedly been offered by Schalke. I also can't see him up-rooting himself from a club where he's proving to be a huge success, the team is performing well and the fans love him for a salary lower than what that club is offering him to stay unless it was for a Man City or Man Utd type league challenger and even then he'd be after a decent wedge.

At €150,000 he'd be one of our top paid players but a potential huge white elephant if he did fail to adapt to a new league and side which has happened before. As good a player as I think he is I just can't see us being that appealing to him given his options or us willing to risk the finacial commitment required to sway him our way.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
In all honesty after the Cole saga I can't see FSG sanctioning us paying Huntelaar anything approaching what he's reportedly been offered by Schalke. I also can't see him up-rooting himself from a club where he's proving to be a huge success, the team is performing well and the fans love him for a salary lower than what that club is offering him to stay unless it was for a Man City or Man Utd type league challenger and even then he'd be after a decent wedge.

At €150,000 he'd be one of our top paid players but a potential huge white elephant if he did fail to adapt to a new league and side which has happened before. As good a player as I think he is I just can't see us being that appealing to him given his options or us willing to risk the finacial commitment required to sway him our way.
He is being offered ridiculous sums by Schalke to try and persuade him to stay im sure he only signed for round 60k a week or something like that but he cant stay as no matter how well he does its not high profile enough and killing his chances with Holland. Fact is its a moot point if Huntelaar is moving for money we arent even in the competition for his signature so it doesnt matter what we are willing to offer. But if we offered what we were paying Carroll or, at most, Bellamy (both sanctioned by FSG), then if he is moving for the reasons he is thought to be moving for then it should be more than enough.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
So basically, people believe that Huntelaar will turn down £120,000 per week at a Champions League club, where he is settled and is playing and living less than 150 miles from his home town, and will accept £70,000 per week to play for a club in the Europa League (in the best case scenario), and in a league where he has never played before ... And the suggested reason is the increased visibility in the eyes of the Dutch national team manager, who for some reason is refusing to watch Bundesliga and Champions League games ...

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Well as his agent has said he will decide in January and there is plenty of press speculation linking him with a move away, there's plenty of reason to hope he will choose to come here. It didn't do much harm to Kuyt's international career playing for us, and it could be his last chance to play at a big English team. Linking up with Suarez and playing at Liverpool could be a big draw for him. Not all players are mercenaries. Until he makes his decision, what's the harm in discussing it ...

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Well as his agent has said he will decide in January and there is plenty of press speculation linking him with a move away, there's plenty of reason to hope he will choose to come here. It didn't do much harm to Kuyt's international career playing for us, and it could be his last chance to play at a big English team. Linking up with Suarez and playing at Liverpool could be a big draw for him. Not all players are mercenaries. Until he makes his decision, what's the harm in discussing it ...
Well, Edinson Cavani would also love to be linked up with Suarez, so LFC could be a big draw for him ... Considering that Tom Werner (Liverpool FC Chairman) has specifically said that "we can compete with anyone in the transfer market" (direct quote), and that "he is hopeful that Liverpool supporters will like what they see from the January transfer window" (direct quote), I see no harm in discussing Cavani, either ...

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Mod edit: we don't need to hear about that. If you choose to ignore a poster, that's fine by everyone, just don't try to bait or insult. (Nikola)

Status
Not open for further replies.