• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (ST) Schalke 04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I must've missed the new rules of the rumour mill that we can only discuss players who earn less than £40,000 a week and play for teams not in the Champions League, but have Premier League experience and who have previously proven that they are a born winner.

Dare I dream of Michael Ricketts? Currently out of contract so wouldn't cost us a penny!

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Wenger ready to swoop for Dutch hitman Huntelaar in January

By CHRIS WHEELER
22 November 2012

Arsenal are ready to make a move for Schalke striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar in the January transfer window.

Despite spending £24million on Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud in the summer, Arsene Wenger is in the market for another forward and is understood to have been impressed by Huntelaar.

The 29-year-old former Ajax, Real Madrid, and AC Milan striker has scored in both Schalke’s Champions League ties against the Gunners this season.

Former Holland striker Erik Meijer, a TV pundit whose agent Arnold Oosterveer now represents Huntelaar, believes his fellow Dutchman is bound for the Emirates in January.

‘According to the information I have, Huntelaar will be gone in the winter,’ said Meijer.

‘Arsenal FC are the favourites to land him.’

Huntelaar played down the speculation after Schalke beat Olympiakos to qualify for the knockout stages, saying: ‘He obviously knows more than I know.’

Meanwhile, Bordeaux are struggling to finance a move for Arsenal striker Maroune Chamakh.

The 28-year-old Morocco international would be an ideal replacement for Bordeaux striker Yoan Gouffran, who is attracting interest from several clubs including QPR.

However, Bordeaux cannot afford Chamakh’s £65,000-a-week wages, and Arsenal would have to pay up part of his contract for them to afford any transfer fee.

http://www.dailymail...nsfer-move.html

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I highly doubt that Huntelaar will join Arsenal. Wenger won't drop in-form Giroud and Huntelaar won't sit on the bench in any team, I guess... They do need replacement for Chamakh, however, but I guess it will be someone else.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I highly doubt that Huntelaar will join Arsenal. Wenger won't drop in-form Giroud and Huntelaar won't sit on the bench in any team, I guess... They do need replacement for Chamakh, however, but I guess it will be someone else.
I dont quite get the feeling that Wenger trusts Giroud, however i think you are right. If he keeps scoring, is it likely that Wenger would sign a 29 year old on big wages.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Hmmm interesting to note you can be a success in Italy if you play week in week out as part of a front three and score a goal every 216 minutes in your first season (even if it is your only good season in Italy) but not if you play as a squad rotation player in a front three scoring a goal every 195 minutes.

Also interesting to note that if you score 60 odd goals in 100 appearances in Germany you can be considered a one season wonder in a rubbish league but if you have only just broken through and doing well so far this season the league is good enough to judge you on and its worth dropping £16 million on you.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Hmmm interesting to note you can be a success in Italy if you play week in week out as part of a front three and score a goal every 216 minutes in your first season (even if it is your only good season in Italy) but not if you play as a squad rotation player in a front three scoring a goal every 195 minutes.

Also interesting to note that if you score 60 odd goals in 100 appearances in Germany you can be considered a one season wonder in a rubbish league but if you have only just broken through and doing well so far this season the league is good enough to judge you on and its worth dropping £16 million on you.
What proportion of games does Huntelaar not feature as the central prong of a front three? Would i be wrong to assume that Huntelaar is not the focal point of the Schalke attack?

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
What proportion of games does Huntelaar not feature as the central prong of a front three? Would i be wrong to assume that Huntelaar is not the focal point of the Schalke attack?
He plays only centrally, and their attack is completely built around him ...

Personally, I think that there is a better chance of me shagging Bar Refaeli tonight, than FSG giving a £100,000+ per week contract to a 29-year-old who has a history of flopping at big clubs ...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Huntelaar is a centre forward mate its hands down his best position and worst he has ever played playing just in that position is a goal every 140 minutes at Real.

Thats why its funny so many use his time at Milan against him he was regularly played in the wide positions of a front three rotated off the bench and still managed a goal every 195 minutes in his first and only season there which is still better than the rate of some alternative options ive seen.

If we did bring him in it would be for the middle with Suarez wide something they did very well together at Ajax.

Huntelaar has the potential to be one of the best centre forwards in the league not far off Suarez standards currently but Suarez hands down would be the very best wide forward we could have in our squad so I really dont see a problem with doing that.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Personally, I think that there is a better chance of me shagging Bar Refaeli tonight, than FSG giving a £100,000+ per week contract to a 29-year-old who has a history of flopping at big clubs ...
Get ya glad rags on then because they sanctioned similar wages for Bellamy apparently who was older and unwanted at City and Liverpool previously so they have already done it. Plus Huntelaar is currently on 60k just because he doesnt want to stay at Schalke despite them offering that doesnt mean he is money motivated actually could mean opposite.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Get ya glad rags on then because they sanctioned similar wages for Bellamy apparently who was older and unwanted at City and Liverpool previously so they have already done it. Plus Huntelaar is currently on 60k just because he doesnt want to stay at Schalke despite them offering that doesnt mean he is money motivated actually could mean opposite.
Nope, they have sanctioned £60,000 per week for Bellamy, and have offloaded him at the first chance ... Huntelaar is currently at £80,000 per week at Schalke, and they have already offered him £120,000 per week ...

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member

His first year in terms of goals scored at shalke is the same as Zarate as his most successful stint at lazio,at real his record is comparable to zarate and at ac it is not as good
Huntelaar........8 in 20 at real(14 in 36),Zarate........13 in 36 in lazio.
At milan it is slightly less but not massively
7 in 31....would work out as 8 in 36 games.
At Shalke he is the same as Zarate
13 in 35

Taking into account that at real he started only 13 of those 20,with 7 as sub and at ac he started 16 with 15 as sub and at shalke he started 32 with 3 as sub
whereas Zarate started 33 with 3 as sub.

Remember these are 3 years where you have not been impressed with his records yet they are pretty much the same as zarates best year(better on 2 occassions).

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
His first year in terms of goals scored at shalke is the same as Zarate as his most successful stint at lazio,at real his record is comparable to zarate and at ac it is not as good
Huntelaar........8 in 20 at real(14 in 36),Zarate........13 in 36 in lazio.
At milan it is slightly less but not massively
7 in 31....would work out as 8 in 36 games.
At Shalke he is the same as Zarate
13 in 35

Taking into account that at real he started only 13 of those 20,with 7 as sub and at ac he started 16 with 15 as sub and at shalke he started 32 with 3 as sub
whereas Zarate started 33 with 3 as sub.

Remember these are 3 years where you have not been impressed with his records yet they are pretty much the same as zarates best year(better on 2 occassions).
First, you stats are wrong ... Zarate has scored 16 in 41 in his first season at Lazio ... Second, he is a wide forward, not a striker ... If you don't know the difference, this discussion is pretty much pointless ...

rab

Another goal for him this afternoon. Assisted by Holtby.

Both out of contract in the summer and both would be huge additions to our squad.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Another goal for him this afternoon. Assisted by Holtby.

Both out of contract in the summer and both would be huge additions to our squad.
Where would you think Holtby's best postion would be here?

rab

Where would you think Holtby's best postion would be here?
Not to derail the Huntelaar thread his possible additon tends to derail most other threds but I think Holtby could play as a wide left or right forward or even as the attacking central midfielder behind Suarez if needed. The same way someone like Mata can and does play anywhere across the attacking line of three behind Torres for Chelsea.

No idea if he'd consider the move but in the bracket of young and up coming players that might still be a bit green for the likes of City, Chelsea and Utd.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
First, you stats are wrong ... Zarate has scored 16 in 41 in his first season at Lazio ... Second, he is a wide forward, not a striker ... If you don't know the difference, this discussion is pretty much pointless ...
Don't even start mate.Stop being a prat and start engaging with people in a decent manner rather than being condescending.

Where have you pulled those stats from,can you show me the link.Even if your right that would equate to 10 in 41 for huntelaar which is not massively different considering Zarate played regular whereas huntelaar didn;t for ac.

You have also picked zarates best season and put it against huntelaars worst season,while ignoring the other 2 which where both better than zarates 1st and best season at lazio.How about we show zarates worst season and compare that to huntelaars best.much bigger difference there.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Don't even start mate.Stop being a prat and start engaging with people in a decent manner rather than being condescending.

Where have you pulled those stats from,can you show me the link.Even if your right that would equate to 10 in 41 for huntelaar which is not massively different considering Zarate played regular whereas huntelaar didn;t for ac.

You have also picked zarates best season and put it against huntelaars worst season,while ignoring the other 2 which where both better than zarates 1st and best season at lazio.How about we show zarates worst season and compare that to huntelaars best.much bigger difference there.
Once again, they don't play at the same position ... Is that so difficult to understand? Also, Zarate is 4 years younger, and he would not command wages of £120,000 per week ...Probably not even half of that ...

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Because teams need dedicated goal-scorers. Luis is taking-on that role now ...but it is not his true role.

Barnes and Suarez are (to me) somewhat equivalent talents i.e. both are/were off the charts in terms of footballing ability, but both do very much need a goal-scoring foil to operate off-of and to supply. Neither of them are pure strikers and nor should they be.

Suarez will not continue as nearly a goal-a-game striker. He's not that type of player ....and he desperately needs a foil to work with.

Doesn't need to be Huntelaar per-se, but it does need to be a striker (or a proper number 10). Or even a front 3 who can all interchange, but Luis so far this season is just on a purple patch...and it won't continue all season - hence the need to get some player(s) in to score us goals.
why don't you be the PR chief? Oh yeah you're too busy summiting mountains and posting sensible things.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Once again, they don't play at the same position ... Is that so difficult to understand? Also, Zarate is 4 years younger, and he would not command wages of £120,000 per week ...Probably not even half of that ...
Every time you post about Huntelaars wage "demands" it increases.

Lets just cut the crap eh?

You dont like the guy.

Fair enough, if you offered me Rooney for 5 million Id say no because its Rooney nothing to do with his ability.

You dont like Huntelaar everybody has players they dont like.

But your reasons regarding Huntelaar make even none Huntelaar fans argue with you.

Just let it go or at least be honest about it your "footballing reasons" tend to be ridiculous and thats being kind.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I actually hope we get Huntelaar just to piss off Mac... it will be fun around the forums if we get him and he scores his first match for us.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
where is the link i asked for.
i don't care if they play different positions.you brought up the goalscoring comparison(albeit in a different thread)

you don't know what rodgers is planning so can only guess that he plans on leaving luis where he is.what he says in public may not be what he says in private.he has shown he is up to changing how we play and may very well decide to bring in huntelaar for a central role.we don't know weather or not huntelaar will join us for less than what he has been offered elsewhere.

you choose zarates best season and put it up against huntelaars worst season.you my friend will flip and flop and distort whatever you need to in order to put across your view on things.you would get a lot more respect for your views if you cut the crap and interacted with the rest of us like a normal human being.

Lucas

The best that Zarate has managed is a goal every 2.53 games in 2008/2009. At 25, you'd have thought he'd be able to inject some consistency into his game but his goalscoring records suggest otherwise. Frankly, to me, he seems like just another one who shone brightly but faded faster.

BrazilianRed

The best that Zarate has managed is a goal every 2.53 games in 2008/2009. At 25, you'd have thought he'd be able to inject some consistency into his game but his goalscoring records suggest otherwise. Frankly, to me, he seems like just another one who shone brightly but faded faster.
Totally agree.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I actually hope we get Huntelaar just to piss off Mac... it will be fun around the forums if we get him and he scores his first match for us.
I am not really worried about that scenario ... If we do get Huntelaar (highly unlikely), and he is a success here (highly unlikely), I will be as happy as any LFC fan ... The real fun around the forums will be if he turns out to be the next Robbie Keane, at £120,000 per week ...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Mac I repeat again as you still refuse to acknowledge it:

Zarate best season of his career 08-09 playing in a front three a goal every 201 minutes. Best ever season.

Huntelaar worst season of his career 09-10 playing in a front three a goal every 195 minutes. Worst ever season still better.

OhYaBeauty

Mac I repeat again as you still refuse to acknowledge it:

Zarate best season of his career 08-09 playing in a front three a goal every 201 minutes. Best ever season.

Huntelaar worst season of his career 09-10 playing in a front three a goal every 195 minutes. Worst ever season still better.
Difference is where they play. Huntelaar centrally, Zarate out wide.

OhYaBeauty

Not that season. Good percentage of games Huntelaar was played on the right.
Are we talking the Milan season?

Edit: Regardless, Mac Red's point, which I agree with, is that we don't need a central forward. We need a right forward. Huntelaar doesn't fit as a right forward. He'd be fine for cheap as a backup CF, but not as a starter because Suarez is already our CF.

Status
Not open for further replies.