• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Kolo Touré (CB) Manchester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Liverpool eye Touré signing to fill void left by Carragher

by Tony Barrett

[SIZE=1.5em]Liverpool are ready to make a surprise move for Kolo Touré, who will be available on a free transfer when his contract with Manchester City expires at the start of next month.[/SIZE]

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, wants to add an experienced defender to his squad after Jamie Carragher’s retirement and has been alerted to Touré’s availability and the player’s desire to remain in the Barclays Premier League.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article3770156.ece

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Well, I... Don't know what to say, really. He's vastly experienced, full of medals and formerly a world class centre back but his glory days are long gone, he's got slower and overweight, while his confidence is probably at an all-time low. We do need an experienced head for squad depth, though.

OhYaBeauty

I know a lot of people on here are going to be against this one, but just hear me out:

If Kolo agrees to a pay cut, he'd be a shrewd signing. He offers the experience that our central defense will sorely lack, and he likely understands that he wouldn't be first choice. Bringing in Kolo would allow us to keep some level of experience at the back, in training and in some games, while also bringing in someone like Papadopoulos.

And then I can get a Liverpool shirt with Toure on the back and pretend it's Yaya...

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Really? Doesn't make much sense. His wages would be pretty high. He also hardly ever plays so its hard to gauge his form. Fair enough, I guess he has a wealth of experience but he hasn't been performing at his top level in ages.

If we were to take a defender from City, I would rather it be Lescott or Richards. Lescott might be the most expensive of the three in terms of transfer fee. But he would also be earning quite a high wage already. Richards will probably cost more than Toure in terms of transfer fee but he would most likely be on the lowest wages given that he is the youngest of the three and was an academy product and not a transfer that was made in City's era of new riches.

Unless Rodgers is adamant on letting Skrtel go as well, I don't see the need for more experience on the bench. Especially if the player himself has played as little as Toure in recent seasons. He looks incredibly out of shape and form.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
No no no no

32 years old and too slow.

We have Agger, Reina and Johnson providing the defensive experience. I'd rather we get younger players in now that can perform at the highest level than have an over the hill player come in to provide a bit of cup game cover.

If Yaya and Kolo come together we're talking, but not just Kolo.

Personally I think this is lazy journalism

kwala

TIA Regular
Past it. How long since he played regular football?

SF Red

TIA Regular
No Men in the Box Redux said:
Really? Doesn't make much sense. His wages would be pretty high. He also hardly ever plays so its hard to gauge his form. Fair enough, I guess he has a wealth of experience but he hasn't been performing at his top level in ages.

If we were to take a defender from City, I would rather it be Lescott or Richards. Lescott might be the most expensive of the three in terms of transfer fee. But he would also be earning quite a high wage already. Richards will probably cost more than Toure in terms of transfer fee but he would most likely be on the lowest wages given that he is the youngest of the three and was an academy product and not a transfer that was made in City's era of new riches.
Doubt Kolo would have to be on big wages if he came here. His big contract is ending and no club is going to give him big wages for his new contract. Richards would expect higher wages IMO as would Lescott.

That being said, I can understand wanting him as a 4th choice (and hopefully being overtaken by Kelly or Wisdom) on a 2 year contract or so. I can also understand the people who think he is crap because he is really not that good anymore. Is he better than the other free transfers available? Pearce, Douglas, ?

If we bring in 2 others ahead of him, I could understand it.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Surprised by this. Barrett's certainly a trustworthy source, but this move would make absolutely no sense at all. Lescott I could SORT of see making sense, but this? Nah.

Herb

Not what we need at all and cannot see us going for him. Decent player on his day but lacks versatility, leadership and the battling qualities you require in certain games.

Also formerly world class? Ridiculous claim that.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
No. Fucking. Way. 32 year old has been on quite hefty wages? If it wasn't Tony Barrett, I'd laugh at it. As it is, I'm scared by it! There's only one Toure I'd take from City, and it's not Kolo.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
SF Red said:
SF Red, on 20 May 2013 - 4:35 PM, said:
Doubt Kolo would have to be on big wages if he came here. His big contract is ending and no club is going to give him big wages for his new contract. Richards would expect higher wages IMO as would Lescott.
You might be right. But Bosman transfers usually mean that a player will demand greater wages. For example, Joe Cole's ridiculous 90k contract when he arrived here. Both Lescott and Kolo are big earners in City - having joined after their new owners came in. They would only be feasible options here if they both took massive pay cuts and enter into some sort of performance or appearance-based contract.

Richards, on the other hand, a relatively young academy product, hasn't had his contract extended yet so should still be on reasonably low wages. He's also been frozen out by Mancini recently so his value won't be ridiculous and his wage demands similarly shouldn't be either. However, the Guardian are reporting that City will be offering a new four-year contract extension soon so I guess that will be OYB and my fantasy over now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/19/micah-richards-contract-manchester-city

Edit: Holy shit, just read the article and it says that Richards is currently on a 80,000 pounds a-week contract at City. Never mind that then. I rate him as a immense athlete and believe that he will become a top player for any team if he can overcome his injury problems but he's not worth 80k+ a week.

SF Red

TIA Regular
You might be right. But Bosman transfers usually mean that a player will demand greater wages. For example, Joe Cole's ridiculous 90k contract when he arrived here. Both Lescott and Kolo are big earners in City - having joined after their new owners came in. They would only be feasible options here if they both took massive pay cuts and enter into some sort of performance or appearance-based contract.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/19/micah-richards-contract-manchester-city
If we do sign Kolo, it will not be anything like Cole, Ballack, etc. Those were in-demand players. This is a player who will not be in demand. And we don't have Purslow negotiating for us.

Whether he is a big earner now or not does not really matter much IMO. We are not signing him with an intact contract where the player is expecting wages to be paid. We are signing a player that is not at that level anymore. For example, if Cole doesn't retire after his current contract is up and he plays out his contract to leave on a Bosman), does anyone think he will get anywhere near the wages he is currently getting? Of course not, he will be paid much less.

Probably more of a sign that we should not sign him....

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
It would be a cut price attempt at filling the Experienced CB role however...I can't see him starting any EPL games, he's way too slow. The times I've seen him play for City recently he's looked very very laboured.

If we're buying him to play in the cups and as cover for the prem then I don't see it as a bad thing, probably on similar wages to what Carra was (hopefully a lot less)

BR did say he wanted depth and experience...hopefully we're not just going to buy a load of has-beens...

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Depends on who else we sign, and the length of the contract in this case will be more important than the amount per year in my opinion.

If we only have 15-20mp to spend on defenders, I'd rather take Kolo + a highly rated young CB Papa/Dede for example, than take Alderweild/Williams + Iloris. (I would keep Skrtel in both cases regardless)

Kolo is a band-aid, but when the squad needs as much as it does then we could use a few band-aids to help us solve some depth issues and get through until the next window.

Sweeting

We do need some experience at the back if we're bringing in two young defenders or using the likes of Kelly/Wisdom etc...

Wouldn't be against it.

SGM

TIA Legend
Wouldn't be against it either. As long as he isn't our only purchase at that position.

Would have said the same thing if we were looking at Carragher 2 years ago.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
TFC said:
Kolo is a band-aid, but when the squad needs as much as it does then we could use a few band-aids to help us solve some depth issues and get through until the next window.
Why would we need a band-aid when in your scenario we would have Agger, Skrtel, Papa/Dede, Alderweireld AND Wisdom or Kelly who both seem to see their future in the CB roles?

I don't like the idea of bringing in an old center-back like Toure who plays so rarely as it is and looks so out of shape just so that he can be used in an emergency situation over other less experienced players. Experience isn't going to count for shit when Chicharito outleaps you for a header or when Defoe is able to burst past you with ease with a quick change of pace.

kwala

TIA Regular
Skrtel and Agger are both experienced. I think if we are looking at bringing in Toure, one of them must be off?

Toure is past it. His legs have gone. Last I saw of him it was like he was running in treacle.

Us and Bosmans is not a good mix...

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I guess the positive about us being in the market for anyone is we know we aren't going to chuck money at them like we've done in the past. Always remember the time I found out how much we paid Jovanavic, I was like

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Why would we need a band-aid when in your scenario we would have Agger, Skrtel, Papa/Dede, Alderweireld AND Wisdom or Kelly who both seem to see their future in the CB roles?

I don't like the idea of bringing in an old center-back like Toure who plays so rarely as it is and looks so out of shape just so that he can be used in an emergency situation over other less experienced players. Experience isn't going to count for shit when Chicharito outleaps you for a header or when Defoe is able to burst past you with ease with a quick change of pace.
Sure if we could have Papa/Dede + Alderweireld that would be much better. Unfortunately that wasn't the hypothetical scenario I painted ;)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Kolo Toure. Fucking hell...

A player we simply do not need. I wouldn't know what to say about any FSG cost saving that leads to us parting company with Reina, but buy an out of shape, overweight, past it CB who will likely never play. Waste of money.

We need a young, pacy starting CB, a back up CB who can all cover the full back positions, and then use Kelly and Wisdom for cover.

I think Rodgers is within his rights to sell Skrtel, but Toure s even less suited to his system.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Mascot88 said:
Kolo Toure. Fucking hell...

A player we simply do not need. I wouldn't know what to say about any FSG cost saving that leads to us parting company with Reina, but buy an out of shape, overweight, past it CB who will likely never play. Waste of money.

We need a young, pacy starting CB, a back up CB who can all cover the full back positions, and then use Kelly and Wisdom for cover.

I think Rodgers is within his rights to sell Skrtel, but Toure s even less suited to his system.
I can't see him buying him, if we do, to play in the Prem - he's far past that level. Backup...has to be. Not to mention it gives depth, not much...but more than we have, in terms of experience.

We must be getting him on £2.50 a week though....anything more is robbery!

Dos07

TIA Regular
Would generally be against us signing players who would be heading on African Nations Cup duty.
Maybe he's retired from international duty?

For 40k a week + free transfer + only as backup. Then I wouldn't be against it.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
TFC said:
Sure if we could have Papa/Dede + Alderweireld that would be much better. Unfortunately that wasn't the hypothetical scenario I painted ;)
Whoops. Just saw what you meant in that post now. I agree with you that scenario (1) Agger, Skrtel, Papa/Dede, and Toure would be better than scenario (2) Agger, Skrtel, Alderweireld, Iloris. If we were to sign a CB of the class of Papa, I believe we would be sorted in that position for years until Agger leaves/retires. But I think my point still stands that I would much rather play one of our younger, budding CBs like Kelly or Wisdom over Toure. But perhaps it is necessary to have 4 experienced CBs and 2 youth CBs just in case. I just think that it would be perhaps one precaution too many and might limit the growth and playing time of Wisdom and Kelly (especially given that we aren't in Europe at all next year).

I still maintain that this would be an unnecessary signing and would much rather we guarantee signings of higher quality first before blowing a chunk of our wage budget on Toure but its looking more and more like the rumor has got serious legs.

SF Red

TIA Regular
Dos07 said:
Would generally be against us signing players who would be heading on African Nations Cup duty.
Maybe he's retired from international duty?

For 40k a week + free transfer + only as backup. Then I wouldn't be against it.
30K on a 2 year contract would be better. As someone mentioned above, the length of contract would be important iMO.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
No thanks.

He's experienced, has some game knowledge, is vocal and a great character to have around a la Bolo Zenden, but I still wouldn't go for him and in that case I'd have rather done my absolute best to convince Jamie to stay for another season.

We lack exactly some of those qualities Toure brings at the back and generally I'd like the board to give the manager more freedom when he feels something would be good while also being financially normal (you can't show to the board the benefits of having an experienced players in statistics, there needs to be more trust), but we really need to move on in this position.

There is a middle ground between a inexperienced kid and a Kolo Toure. We can find a player in good age with already some experience but who is good enough. It's time to invest in this position, not go in circles.

rab

If we needed a bosman signing to boost the ranks would have gone for Douglas rather than Toure. Overweight, over paid, way past his best. If Skrtl and Coates are leaving too then we better be getting two very very good players with Kolo very much fourth choice.

Not a good start to the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.