• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Kolo Touré (CB) Manchester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
This could also help us with future Francophone players. If I'm not mistaken, we currently have zero French speakers in the team.

31-32 yr old CB with major trophies under his belt, a great attitude, willing to take low-ish wages and accept a bench role? We could do worse than Kolo, and it would be hard to find someone else like him at such a (theoretically) low cost.

Kolo can come into this team and *command respect* immediately. Gallas instantly became the captain & heartbeat of that soulless Spurs team.

Esp if we lose Reina, we'll have basically zero players with any sort of reputation to tell other players to stop being shit (maybe the occasional sneer from Gerrard or Agger).

Soto was a bit of a comedy routine on the pitch, but mostly did the job well enough, and was supposedly fantastic in the dressing room. Whether Kolo will come in and be fired up or just be lookin to sit on his arse and play Facebook games vs Yaya on his iphone is the question

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
REDSkins, there apparently is a curse on us when it comes to French players. I don't think we will lift it any time soon.

5euros

TIA Legend
Fail to see why having no French speaking players is an issue. I really hope this rumour is just that. Tony Barrett is an attention seeking cock.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Well, the twatters think this is done...

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Mascot88 said:
Well, the twatters think this is done...
Oh, if only the twitter is all true, we should have signed 1/2 decent CB and all the half decent CB in the entire world. ;)

Seriously him rather than Ashley 'Europa League is going to be my career highlight' Williams.

mafiaman20

Midfield General
Zero French speakers? The guy's been in England for well over ten years. Maybe we shouldn't go for Papadopoulos because we've got not Greek speakers.

mr mustard

TIA Reserve Team
Glad we're getting started early. I'm tired of hearing "the transfer window is open for another two weeks. We have plenty of time."

If we want to compete, we can't afford rough starts. The team needs to be ready on day one. In America, where teams fight to get into play-offs, it's fine to wait until deadline day. PL is something different, though, and I'm happy we're getting things done.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Would like this signing if its around 3-4 million mark. Atleast i would prefer him over overrated williams. He is decent, will add some experience to our defense, still reasonably quick. Would be a decent replacement for carra.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
that would be a good way to start the window to rebuild and strengthen our depth at CB.... I think a signing like this is also very important to have someone with experience... basically what Gerrard was asking for awhile back. We need some older players as well... someone like this can bring a good winning mentality with experience to our club which we lack in

kwala

TIA Regular
Are Chelsea playing City Tonight? I wonder if Kolo will be saying his goodbyes to the fans or have they got another game?

STE123

Lurker
mafiaman20 said:
Zero French speakers? The guy's been in England for well over ten years. Maybe we shouldn't go for Papadopoulos because we've got not Greek speakers.
French surrender monkeys, No thanks.
The shit hits the fan engage reverse, I'm not doubting Toures ability in any way BUT.............

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
STE123 said:
French surrender monkeys, No thanks.
The shit hits the fan engage reverse, I'm not doubting Toures ability in any way BUT.............
Can you elaborate on that, please? What do you mean with this?

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Hope in your heart said:
Its considered a derogatory term for the French people, meaning they surrender meekly whenever there is the slightest pressure on them. Guess the terms stemmed out during the war times.

Anyway for people who are interested in stats and for people who thinks Toure is to replace Carragher. Personally not into stats that much, just saw this on the net, not sure of its accuracy.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Key stat that's missing - amount of games missed due to ban after taking an illegal substances. Carra - Zero , Kolo - 8 months.

The fact he was taking dieting pills for me is just stupid. He should never have needed them

gasband

Ad-free Member
rupzzz said:
Key stat that's missing - amount of games missed due to ban after taking an illegal substances. Carra - Zero , Kolo - 8 months.

The fact he was taking dieting pills for me is just stupid. He should never have needed them
But that is over and should not come into discussion of a player's ability. He has served time for his "stupidity" and just like we move on for indiscretions for our very own, i guess we should too for others.

In any case, its true, why the hell he needs pills for slimming?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
gasband said:
But that is over and should not come into discussion of a player's ability. He has served time for his "stupidity" and just like we move on for indiscretions for our very own, i guess we should too for others.

In any case, its true, why the hell he needs pills for slimming?
I 100% agree it's over. In the same way what Suarez has done (biting and the whole racist thing) is over.

My point was more along the lines of how can a player that trains daily with the first team - meaning lots of fitness drills - require diet pills. It shows that either theres something not right with his mentality or body.

I just don't like it

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
rupzzz said:
I 100% agree it's over. In the same way what Suarez has done (biting and the whole racist thing) is over.

My point was more along the lines of how can a player that trains daily with the first team - meaning lots of fitness drills - require diet pills. It shows that either theres something not right with his mentality or body.

I just don't like it
Metabolism slowed down and starting putting on weight or he went through a massive eating binge or on the wrong diet.

Sweeting

Hope in your heart said:
Refers to French implosion during WW2 after the Maginot Line fell; inferring that they always surrender.

Not racist... if you were checking.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
Sweeting said:
Refers to French implosion during WW2 after the Maginot Line fell; inferring that they always surrender.

as a french lad I still feel a bit tickled by that one, though :p

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Sweeting said:

I had honestly no idea what he was talking about. That's cleared up now. Cheers, mate!

S

showmethemoney

Speckydodge said:
But it is insulting
It's heavily insulting.

I remember 'Have I Got News For You' were criticized for repeating something similar, which unsurprisingly was taken from a headline from a shite rag.

"Wine swilling, cheese eating surrender monkeys."

Sweeting

Speckydodge said:
But it is insulting
Yeah of course it is.

Especially since the French actually have the best wins-per-fight average of all the European nations... but they lost the big one.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Yeah they lost the famous one alright. It was a needless comment to make in the first place though.

Especially considering Toure is Ivorian :)

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
My impression was that magionet line didn't fall but was circumvented via blitzkrieg?

gasband

Ad-free Member
In any case, this cheese eating line appeared in the Simpsons anyway but the French were too absorbed in themselves to care anyway :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.