• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Kylian Mbappé (FW) PSG

What will Mbappe be leaning on?

• The number 6, which he cheekily turns upside down into a 9, waggling his eyebrows

• Mikey Edward's elephant-sized cock

• Piled up lifesized cutouts of Benteke, Carroll, Jovanovic, and Voronin

• Maria's tea set

• ISMF's ego for starting this thread

• A simple conference table, because he has fully accepted being a humble part of the red machine

• The burnt-out remains of the redcafe server

• None of the above coz he ain't fookin comin', man

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Pure speculation on my part, but would anyone be willing to lose Salah next summer, if that was part of what it took to be able to sign Mbappe?
Nope. Always a risk when you are swapping superstars. See Coutinho...

We've got a humble, hardworking and effective front 3 with great comraderie. I would rather keep them together as long as possible.

Breaking the wage structure and an aspect of the team that is our strength, seems too much for Mbappe, even if he is a great player especially with PSG looking to extend him for €50m a year !!!

At that salary, it isn't a choice between Mbappe and Salah... it is choosing between Mbappe and much of the squad.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We've got a humble, hardworking and effective front 3 with great comraderie. I would rather keep them together as long as possible.
Inevitable that we will lose Salah next summer, I can see it happen. I think it has also proven that if you buy top drawer quality, you get what you paid for, and especially with Klopp as the manager. Mbappe is a young man, though had become such a big star, still a young man. I would expect him to be influenced by both Pogba and Neymar back then, after moving to PSG and winning the World Cup, but he didn't. So I really don't mind taking a punt on this fella if we were to lose Salah, and use that money to buy him. His stock won't fall too far off since he has that star power, so if it doesn't work out, he won't be like Coutinho. Besides, Klopp is not being managed by his players, unlike Valverde being handled by Messi.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Inevitable that we will lose Salah next summer, I can see it happen. I think it has also proven that if you buy top drawer quality, you get what you paid for, and especially with Klopp as the manager. Mbappe is a young man, though had become such a big star, still a young man. I would expect him to be influenced by both Pogba and Neymar back then, after moving to PSG and winning the World Cup, but he didn't. So I really don't mind taking a punt on this fella if we were to lose Salah, and use that money to buy him. His stock won't fall too far off since he has that star power, so if it doesn't work out, he won't be like Coutinho. Besides, Klopp is not being managed by his players, unlike Valverde being handled by Messi.
Unless we completely plan to fudge FFP accounting... he will cost us more than Salah.

We can't go and pay £880,000 per week (if his rumoured raise is true). That just destroys the entire wage structure by a lot and all our existing players may start looking for double.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Unless we completely plan to fudge FFP accounting... he will cost us more than Salah.

We can't go and pay £880,000 per week (if his rumoured raise is true). That just destroys the entire wage structure by a lot and all our existing players may start looking for double.
Firstly we won’t break FFP rules as we are not in the red since we sell to buy. We have surplus. Secondly, I have no idea where you got the £880K a week from, because his latest numbers I know of is about £350K a week.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Inevitable that we will lose Salah next summer, I can see it happen.
I can't get my head around why it would be "inevitable" that we'll lose Salah next summer. We are reigning Champions of Europe and have one of the very best teams in the world. Salah is making tons of money with us and doesn't have the attachment to Barca/Real that the South American players have etc. Why would he want to leave? I can't see it, maybe I'm just naive.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I can't get my head around why it would be "inevitable" that we'll lose Salah next summer. We are reigning Champions of Europe and have one of the very best teams in the world. Salah is making tons of money with us and doesn't have the attachment to Barca/Real that the South American players have etc. Why would he want to leave? I can't see it, maybe I'm just naive.
By next summer all of our front 3 will be 28, with Firmino being the eldest (he's 28 in October). Their value is not going to get much higher and we'll need to have some top quality forward options under the age of 24 coming through as natural succession planning. I don't know if it will be Salah but I think it's almost certain we'll sell at least one of them. If Brewster's pushing through then it could be Firmino although he's also a versatile option for AM so perhaps it won't be him but the chances are that it will be one of Sadio, Bobby or Mo.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
No matter what one say during an interview, no matter how we are being perceived right now in the footballing circuit, Real Madrid and Barcelona will always have that "prestige" (notice it's in inverted commas) label stuck with them. Look at how they had fallen after Ronaldo left the club, yet nothing stopped them from able to go out and sign players that they wanted. Mane and Salah may not be South American, they aren't from Liverpool either, nor do they have any attachment with us prior to playing for us.

Reason for players to move - 1. Money, 2. Silverware, 3. Money, 4. Trophies, 5. Money, 6. Manager/Head Coach and finally 7. Money.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
No matter what one say during an interview, no matter how we are being perceived right now in the footballing circuit, Real Madrid and Barcelona will always have that "prestige" (notice it's in inverted commas) label stuck with them. Look at how they had fallen after Ronaldo left the club, yet nothing stopped them from able to go out and sign players that they wanted. Mane and Salah may not be South American, they aren't from Liverpool either, nor do they have any attachment with us prior to playing for us.

Reason for players to move - 1. Money, 2. Silverware, 3. Money, 4. Trophies, 5. Money, 6. Manager/Head Coach and finally 7. Money.
Would money not also play a factor though Eddie?

vjcpatriot

Disagree on all counts.

1. It's not inevitable that we lose Salah. He is reportedly happy with LFC and recently signed a new deal. He also won the European Champion's cup with us. This is loser mentality to believe we must lose our best player. Why would we give up on our best player when we are the Champions of all Europe?

2. Mbappe scored a truck load of goals... in an inferior league. He has a ton of talent, don't get me wrong but scoring a bushel of goals on the most talent laden and richest team in France doesn't mean you've proven you can be a superstar in the premier league nor that he has what it takes to lead his team to the ECC finals.

3. A transfer fee in excess of £150m is hardly a punt and that is likely what it would take to sign him away from PSG. They are rich but they will look to recoup their investment even if Mbappe turns in a 'transfer request' which might not even be a thing in France.

4. Most likely Mbappe will end up in Real Madrid as they love to splash the cash, FFP be damned. Liverpool will spend reasonably. Just look at their non-spending this window. Klopp doesn't sign players to mega deals for a 'punt'. He looks for the perfect fit before he agrees to sign anyone.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Disagree on all counts.

1. It's not inevitable that we lose Salah. He is reportedly happy with LFC and recently signed a new deal. He also won the European Champion's cup with us. This is loser mentality to believe we must lose our best player. Why would we give up on our best player when we are the Champions of all Europe?
All good to disagree.... but at the very least, read my follow up post before calling people "loser mentality". Footballers' happiness has limits, and what they say and what they do after can be very different. They can be happy today and want away in winter. I don't live in a bubble....

Status
Not open for further replies.