Kylian Mbappé (FW) PSG

What will Mbappe be leaning on?

• The number 6, which he cheekily turns upside down into a 9, waggling his eyebrows

• Mikey Edward's elephant-sized cock

• Piled up lifesized cutouts of Benteke, Carroll, Jovanovic, and Voronin

• Maria's tea set

• ISMF's ego for starting this thread

• A simple conference table, because he has fully accepted being a humble part of the red machine

• The burnt-out remains of the redcafe server

• None of the above coz he ain't fookin comin', man

• A big VAR screen, to freak out all Abu Dhabi fans

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
For me this is an interesting saga purely because of the value the player currently holds and the impact that has on a clubs finances. Without big sales we cant afford him. If he does move it will be interesting to follow the mechanics of it.

Can someone please remind me how long he has left on his PSG contract?
Apparently two years.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
No way this happens. He'll fuck off to Real or something, that's what these players do. We've had plenty of threads down the years of flair type forwards that are the absolute hottest property in world football. Usually they end in 200 pages before being closed and the player was never near coming.

I'll admit we are a lot more attractive now, but the multitude of reasons against this really stack up.

First and foremost to me, getting this guy in would absolutely blow our wage structure out the window. Two, I feel that this kind of transfer is totally out of line in regards to our policy. We aim to get in good value, young players who aren't yet the finished product and then mould them into the absolute best version that they can be. This player must also fill a gap in our squad. At the moment, blowing 200 million or whatever on a guy to rotate through with the front three probably isn't the goal of I look and Edwards. If Mo or Sadio leave then we mayyy be in with a small chance.

We can sit here and discuss how attractive Liverpool is and how Mbappe would be insane not to move here tomorrow, but the fact is that we're all insanely bias due to our allegiance to Liverpool. This isn't FIFA and there are loads of factors that go into making a transfer happen.

[email protected]

Yep, ARD,Mbappe doesn't come across as a flash bastard. Seems a proper bloke. Not a tart who will happily drop £1200 on a pair of wellies or dye his hair pink. He seems very humble and close to his roots. Ideal Klopp player.

Reckon we will have to wait until the Summer of 2021 before he joins us though. Can easily see him replacing one of our current lot then.
Completely unrelated but 1200 quid. On a pair of wellies. Fucking daft.

Noo Noo

No way this happens. He'll fuck off to Real or something, that's what these players do. We've had plenty of threads down the years of flair type forwards that are the absolute hottest property in world football. Usually they end in 200 pages before being closed and the player was never near coming.

I'll admit we are a lot more attractive now, but the multitude of reasons against this really stack up.

First and foremost to me, getting this guy in would absolutely blow our wage structure out the window. Two, I feel that this kind of transfer is totally out of line in regards to our policy. We aim to get in good value, young players who aren't yet the finished product and then mould them into the absolute best version that they can be. This player must also fill a gap in our squad. At the moment, blowing 200 million or whatever on a guy to rotate through with the front three probably isn't the goal of I look and Edwards. If Mo or Sadio leave then we mayyy be in with a small chance.

We can sit here and discuss how attractive Liverpool is and how Mbappe would be insane not to move here tomorrow, but the fact is that we're all insanely bias due to our allegiance to Liverpool. This isn't FIFA and there are loads of factors that go into making a transfer happen.
This is the point I alluded to above. We could do it but it would screw up the clubs finances. You're therefore looking at a very small number of clubs that could
a) absorb the transfer fee (and agents fees) and
b) take the wage hit.

We're in this slightly weird scenario where a players worth is possibly outstripping what clubs can afford to pay for him legally, without doing a City. For that reason it's a slightly fascinating saga, but I'd be honestly surprised if we were involved.

Danny_

If he just had one year left on his contract, I'd start giving credence to these rumours. But, PSG will probably get him to sign an extension by the summer after next

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If he just had one year left on his contract, I'd start giving credence to these rumours. But, PSG will probably get him to sign an extension by the summer after next
Yes they will tie him down and beat him with socks filled with soap till he "agrees". Not just on the Mbappe thing but always confuses me why people believe this about players. When contracts are winding down the club becomes the players bitch. Everything gets more and more in the players favour. If they want the player to stay they need to offer more and more money in desperation. If they want to sell they have to limit themselves to dealing with clubs the player wants to move too. Thank god we are the best club around for keeping our players under long term contracts.

Not Worthy

For those interested in backing their hunches ...... https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/kylian-mbappe/club-after-summer-transfer-window

Mbappe to Liverpool get on Sky Bet.......

Personally, I put the chances of Liverpool signing Mbappe at less than 5%; not for football reasons but because he's become a believer in his own "brand" (forgive me) and his enormous expectations of his worth. We are about TEAM. Mbappe would have to swallow a huge amount of ego to subsume to that ethos. Madrid fits his Galactico image of himself, not LFC. That said: really good footballer and would welcome him in our team if Klopp thinks he can be the player we need.

Also, I'm still to see a cogent argument for how the legalities of Nike subsidising this works: how legally they (Nike) link his money to Liverpool appearances/success as opposed to anyone else. Links, yes. contractual clarity, no..............

Cologne-Liverpool

I may be wrong but didn’t we liverpool supporters start these rumours in twitter once news got out we were about to sign with nike? I remember #mbappe2020 trending worldwide LOL!
You're probably right, I don't know, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to twitter.
I get that this is a fun idea to play around with for fans and that's cool. I don't get why the discussion becomes so overly serious though, there isn't anything substantive to talk about atm and on the other hand hardly anyone disagrees about his quality as a player.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
For those interested in backing their hunches ...... https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/kylian-mbappe/club-after-summer-transfer-window

Mbappe to Liverpool get on Sky Bet.......

Personally, I put the chances of Liverpool signing Mbappe at less than 5%; not for football reasons but because he's become a believer in his own "brand" (forgive me) and his enormous expectations of his worth. We are about TEAM. Mbappe would have to swallow a huge amount of ego to subsume to that ethos. Madrid fits his Galactico image of himself, not LFC. That said: really good footballer and would welcome him in our team if Klopp thinks he can be the player we need.

Also, I'm still to see a cogent argument for how the legalities of Nike subsidising this works: how legally they (Nike) link his money to Liverpool appearances/success as opposed to anyone else. Links, yes. contractual clarity, no..............
He already has that contract with Nike. He just needs them to increase the amounts in it to match the amounts in the contract they have with Neymar. That would mean his total income here (assuming we give him the same salary as Salah) would match the income he currently gets whilst playing for PSG. Or even possibly beats it.

Not Worthy

He already has that contract with Nike. He just needs them to increase the amounts in it to match the amounts in the contract they have with Neymar. That would mean his total income here (assuming we give him the same salary as Salah) would match the income he currently gets whilst playing for PSG. Or even possibly beats it.
I understand that, fella. However, I'm failing to see the LFC 'exceptionalism'. Nike / Mpabbe is one relationship: Nike up his money, cool. That is independent of Liverpool.

Nike / Liverpool, another relationship: we get money for photos of Mpabbe in Nike kit, but it has to be commensurate with market rate for image rights. Above that, how are you linking Nike / Mpabbe / Liverpool ? How are Nike funneling funds into the Liverpool / Mbappe relationship, LEGALLY ?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Maybe. But, yknow....its still mbappening

redbj

I understand that, fella. However, I'm failing to see the LFC 'exceptionalism'. Nike / Mpabbe is one relationship: Nike up his money, cool. That is independent of Liverpool.

Nike / Liverpool, another relationship: we get money for photos of Mpabbe in Nike kit, but it has to be commensurate with market rate for image rights. Above that, how are you linking Nike / Mpabbe / Liverpool ? How are Nike funneling funds into the Liverpool / Mbappe relationship, LEGALLY ?
He’s saying, very basically, that if Mbappe is staring at two offers, one from us, one from Madrid, with Madrid offering slightly more, and he can’t make his mind up, maybe Nike would suggest us as the better choice and sweeten the deal

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
My position on sponsorship is slightly different (to getting directly into bed with Nike) but relevant.

36% of Salah income comes from sponsorship
13% of Mbappes income comes from sponsorship.

This means that even though Liverpool pays their players less, their total income (in Salahs case primarily topped up by Adidas, EA sports and Uber) is not that different.

It's one of the perks of playing in the premier League vs playing in farmers league. Even players like Ozil earn 50% more from their sponsorship deals than Mbappe.

This is one of the reasons PSG need to pay such high wages, as players know they are frequently better earning less elsewhere but reaping the rewards of increased exposure.

Not Worthy

He’s saying, very basically, that if Mbappe is staring at two offers, one from us, one from Madrid, with Madrid offering slightly more, and he can’t make his mind up, maybe Nike would suggest us as the better choice and sweeten the deal
Possibly, but ARD is also saying that Liverpool have an exceptional position as a result of our (future) relationship with Nike, that allows Nike to make up a shortfall in Mbappe's wage. I'm asking how that works....... ???????

Not Worthy

My position on sponsorship is slightly different (to getting directly into bed with Nike) but relevant.

36% of Salah income comes from sponsorship
13% of Mbappes income comes from sponsorship.

This means that even though Liverpool pays their players less, their total income (in Salahs case primarily topped up by Adidas, EA sports and Uber) is not that different.

It's one of the peaks of playing in the premier League vs playing in farmers league. Even players like Ozil earn 50% more from their sponsorship deals than Mbappe.

This is one of the reasons PSG need to pay such high wages, as players know they are frequently better earning less elsewhere but reaping the rewards of sponsorship.
I understand that players AND clubs earn money from sponsors. I'm asking HOW does Mbappe playing SPECIFICALLY for Liverpool, does Nike cover that ???? Ther are at least 3 relationships. For Mbappe to be subsidised to play only and specifically for Liverpool, there needs to be a fourth. How, LEGALLY, does that operate ?

Not Worthy

To be clear, I am asking a question. I'm not saying it is impossible, but am asking what is the mechanism.

1. Nike / Mbappe - Ok
2. Nike/ Liverpool - OK
3. Liverpool / Mbappe - OK
4. Nike/Liverpool/Mbappe - How

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

They don't have to be linked I don't get why people keep saying it has to be linked.

Not all a players financial consideration and income is what the club plays him.

If it comes down to a straight choice between Real Madrid and Liverpool and he is considering the finances it won't just be the wage offer.

Real Madrid are with Adidas, Nike are hardly going to be happy with paying him more to represent them whilst he is dressed in Adidas in most photos and videos of him. He would likely stay on the same deal he is currently on which is between 6.5 and 7.5 million lower than the Neymar deal.

If by coming to a team in the highest profile league, to a team that wears Nike and happens to be the focal point of a massive Nike advertising campaign there is a chance that Nike may increase his deal to match the Neymar deal.

The difference in salary between Salah and Mbappe isn't as great as people seem to assume. It's less than the difference between the Mbappe and Neymar Nike deals.

redbj

I understand that players AND clubs earn money from sponsors. I'm asking HOW does Mbappe playing SPECIFICALLY for Liverpool, does Nike cover that ???? Ther are at least 3 relationships. For Mbappe to be subsidised to play only and specifically for Liverpool, there needs to be a fourth. How, LEGALLY, does that operate ?
Not really sure what you are not understanding to be honest

Nike would pay him a higher sponsorship if he played for LFC in the premier league.

That’s the assertion.

redbj

To be clear, I am asking a question. I'm not saying it is impossible, but am asking what is the mechanism.

1. Nike / Mbappe - Ok
2. Nike/ Liverpool - OK
3. Liverpool / Mbappe - OK
4. Nike/Liverpool/Mbappe - How
Just drop number four out conpletely

It’s not overly complicated

Not Worthy

They don't have to be linked I don't get why people keep saying it has to be linked.

Not all a players financial consideration and income is what the club plays him.

If it comes down to a straight choice between Real Madrid and Liverpool and he is considering the finances it won't just be the wage offer.

Real Madrid are with Adidas, Nike are hardly going to be happy with paying him more to represent them whilst he is dressed in Adidas in most photos and videos of him. He would likely stay on the same deal he is currently on which is between 6.5 and 7.5 million lower than the Neymar deal.

If by coming to a team in the highest profile league, to a team that wears Nike and happens to be the focal point of a massive Nike advertising campaign there is a chance that Nike may increase his deal to match the Neymar deal.

The difference in salary between Salah and Mbappe isn't as great as people seem to assume. It's less than the difference between the Mbappe and Neymar Nike deals.
YOU are linking them: "Nike will make up the difference", type comments.

RM / Addidas; understood. Yes, they can up his number to match Neymar but that does NOT provide Liverpool an exceptional circumstance. How do they, Nike, incentivise Mbappe to sign for Liverpool? They can pay him more as a Nike/Mbappe thing but how do they do that for Nike/Liverpool/Mbappe ?

I am not clear on what legal arrangement you believe exists that Nike exploits to makes LFC the exception... i.e. If you (Kylian) sign for Liverpool this is the deal. We (Nike) add an extra £20M to your deal and you (Liverpool) are inured from FFP scrutiny. I'm not understanding that bit ?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

If Mbappe goes to Real Madrid he still gets to be seen around the world and attracts fans so Nike are still likely to sell merchandise off of that. For Nike to think about splashing out increases in payments to him, they have to consider how much that differs to what he would attract in sales playing for a club that is sponsored by Nike, like us.

If Nike dont increase their deal with him when he moves to a club like Real Madrid, he will simply take the first opportunity to end the deal and move to Adidas. So i dont think the 'Nike factor' is as significant as you do.

Secondly, the comparison in salaries isnt just current earnings. Mbappe is younger, and looking to negotiate a new deal. If he is rejecting a deal double his current salary to move then he is still going to be looking to be paid more than he is now - so the gap between Salah and Mbappe is going to be bigger than it is currently. It's extremely unlikely he is going to move to a club with no raise in his salary, expecting Nike to do the heavy lifting in giving him more money.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
YOU are linking them: "Nike will make up the difference", type comments.

RM / Addidas; understood. Yes, they can up his number to match Neymar but that does NOT provide Liverpool an exceptional circumstance. How do they, Nike, incentivise Mbappe to sign for Liverpool? They can pay him more as a Nike/Mbappe thing but how do they do that for Nike/Liverpool/Mbappe ?

I am not clear on what legal arrangement you believe exists that Nike exploits to makes LFC the exception... i.e. If you (Kylian) sign for Liverpool this is the deal. We (Nike) add an extra £20M to your deal and you (Liverpool) are inured from FFP scrutiny. I'm not understanding that bit ?
It is supposed to be two distinct discussions. Mbappe & Liverpool. Nike and Mbappe. The mutual interest in seeing the move happen guides both discussions separately. At least in theory.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Its not an arguement I have made.

But I could easily see players presented with potential earnings. Liverpool could simply present what he could expect to negotiate with Nike (given other players in squad or informal discussions with Nike).

It could be a handshake agreement that when he represents Nike it's as an independent rather than specifically Liverpool player.

All the way through having an exemption in his contract for image rights with club sponsors. Thereby allowing him to negotiate independently with Nike and others. Reducing Liverpool's bargaining power with sponsors but increasing Mbappes.

That's just purely speculative on my part not knowing the details of sponsor or player contracts.

It would need to be fair and reasonable, but the bench mark is approx 40m a year for Messi and Ronaldo (total sponsorships).

Someone like Kopstar could give a much better answer. The legalities and loop holes.