Kylian Mbappé (FW) PSG

What will Mbappe be leaning on?

• The number 6, which he cheekily turns upside down into a 9, waggling his eyebrows

• Mikey Edward's elephant-sized cock

• Piled up lifesized cutouts of Benteke, Carroll, Jovanovic, and Voronin

• Maria's tea set

• ISMF's ego for starting this thread

• A simple conference table, because he has fully accepted being a humble part of the red machine

• The burnt-out remains of the redcafe server

• None of the above coz he ain't fookin comin', man

• A big VAR screen, to freak out all Abu Dhabi fans

Results are only viewable after voting.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
From today’s BBC gossip column:

Paris St-Germain are set to offer French striker Kylian Mbappe a £41m-per-year contract to avoid losing the 21-year-old to Real Madrid in 2021. (Mirror)

That’s nearly £800k per week. Good job that he loves Klopp’s hugs so much that he’s only requesting three of those and a bag of Wotsits to sign for us.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
From today’s BBC gossip column:

Paris St-Germain are set to offer French striker Kylian Mbappe a £41m-per-year contract to avoid losing the 21-year-old to Real Madrid in 2021. (Mirror)

That’s nearly £800k per week. Good job that he loves Klopp’s hugs so much that he’s only requesting three of those and a bag of Wotsits to sign for us.
Would that make him the best paid player on the planet? Probably. Ronaldo and Messi will be angry... :LOL:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Would that make him the best paid player on the planet? Probably. Ronaldo and Messi will be angry... :LOL:
Nope. Best paid player by a club on the planet. But still won't match their incomes. Endorsements are where the mega stars get their real income. Ronaldo is apparently on 100 million euros a year.

And Messi on 117 million euro a year.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Geez, these figures... o_O all that for kicking a ball... it's insane!
Its why I still think there is a chance for us. We look like we will win the league by a huge margin setting records as we go, possibly even still do well in a 3rd CL campaign on a trot too possibly retaining it. The Nike marketing explosion to turn LFC into more than just a kit and a legitimate fashion brand all about to kick off. Mbappe moving to us in that situation as a hyped up Galactico basically (and first true Galactico for quite awhile unless you consider Neymar moving to a league of limited quality purely for money) could be the perfect storm. He could see his salary expand ridiculously due to that situation. Ronaldo and Messi level endorsements could even be possible, talking 30-40 million a year on top of anything paid by the club. It really is possible that he would become a Messi like entity for his generation of footballers by making that move. You can argue the same for going to Real Madrid but I'm not sure it would be quite the same splash as it used to be, he could just be viewed worldwide on same level as the Suarez to Barca and Bale to Real if it happened now. I'm still far from convinced Real can afford £100 million + on a single player. Anyway I'm repeating myself yet again sorry. Just get carried away by the thought of it all.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I...) Anyway I'm repeating myself yet again sorry. Just get carried away by the thought of it all.
Indeed! :LOL:

The reason I think that he'll go to Real Madrid is that it will bring them the thing you've said they have lacked over the last years. That special bubble going with being the biggest club in the world. That's why they'll be hell-bent to get him whatever the price they have to pay.

On the other hand, in Klopp's view he might be a handy reinforcement of our already fearsome attacking line if he manages to adapt to the PL (which is not a foregone conclusion by any means), but not an instrumental, next-level move. What people like Gordon or Henry might think is another matter.

Anyway, you're right, let's see how it unfolds. If he ends up at LFC, I'll certainly not complain about that!

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Indeed! :LOL:

The reason I think that he'll go to Real Madrid is that it will bring them the thing you've said they have lacked over the last years. That special bubble going with being the biggest club in the world. That's why they'll be hell-bent to get him whatever the price they have to pay.

On the other hand, in Klopp's view he might be a handy reinforcement of our already fearsome attacking line if he manages to adapt to the PL (which is not a foregone conclusion by any means), but not an instrumental, next-level move. What people like Gordon or Henry might think is another matter.

Anyway, you're right, let's see how it unfolds. If he ends up at LFC, I'll certainly not complain about that!
I think Real also, weirdly apparantly they have the best defense in the league this season, so Zidane seems to be creating a solid defensive base. You'd expect his next step is to add a world class attacker to take the team to the next level.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Predicted hangover of the City ban;

PSG stabilising their books and accounts ASAP! Next few seasons running at a net profit on transfers.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
£41m a year, no rush but sign now, no, no, Man City ban has nooooothing todo with this offer. I promise, we have done nothing wrong.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I have the feeling Mbappé is a bit of a glamour boy who wants to play and live in a city like Paris, Madrid or London for instance, not in a blue-collar town like Liverpool.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Does anyone think Nike could help finance a deal for Mbappé? Anyone thought about that?
Would that be allowed?

I thought the transfer fee would have to be totally from us under ffp and 3rd party ownership

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Ah ok. So your looking at the wage aspect not the actual transfer
The fee could be an issue

We need to dig a bit deeper though, check out how long his current contract is

Anything less than say 24-30 months and this could get interesting

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
I have the feeling Mbappé is a bit of a glamour boy who wants to play and live in a city like Paris, Madrid or London for instance, not in a blue-collar town like Liverpool.
And I have a feeling he likes Klopp,
that could be a big influence on any decisions he makes,

if LFC are even interested in him that is....

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
You also think that Adrián is rubbish, so I’ll take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

And that’s all it is... opinion. What proof do you have to support your argument that Mbappé is a “glamour boy”? Neymar? Definitely. Mbappé? No evidence whatsoever.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Sorry, yeah. Although Nike paid some of Coutinho's - we just need Nike to accidentally on purpose release Mbappé Liverpool shirts for sale whilst he's still with PSG
That will cause a massive meltdown, here, other platforms, and rival clubs alike! :whistle:

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
That will cause a massive meltdown, here, other platforms, and rival clubs alike! :whistle:
Don’t laugh... I’ve got Manchester United supporting friends who have threatened to stop watching football* completely if we sign Mbappé.

* I would have thought that following United was the same thing.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The fee could be an issue

We need to dig a bit deeper though, check out how long his current contract is

Anything less than say 24-30 months and this could get interesting
Might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that he would have 2 years left this summer

rupzzz

TIA Regular
It was discussed, but the sticking point that i don't think anybody could provide a satisfactory answer for was that
while having Nike subsidise his wage with increased endorsements etc. would make a lot of sense, do you realistically think we could agree that with all parties in a way that would not look like we had colluded to skirt fair play rules?
They're independent of one and other no?

Liverpool offer Mbappe 200kpw.
RM offer Mbappe 300kpw.

He goes to speak to his advisors, and they go and speak to Nike. Nike say, if you go to Liverpool we will give you a better sponsorship contract. For arguments sake, right now hes on 162m Euro over 10 years. That's around 250kpw (£). They decide that if he goes to Liverpool they up that to £300kpw.

Mbappe and his advisors do the maths.

Liverpool plus updated Nike deal is 500kpw (£).

Madrid plus same Nike deal is 550kpw (£).

He decides. The numbers above are entirely fabricated by myself, except for the 10 year Nike deal of 162m Euro. Essentially, he has three negotiations and then goes from there.

Still don't see him coming.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The difference between the wages we pay Salah and PSG currently pay Mbappe is less than the difference Nike currently pay Mbappe and Nike currently pay Neymar.

If Nike are willing to sign a new deal with Mbappe that puts him on the same level as Neymar or higher based on him playing for a team that wear Nike kits in the highest profile league in the world then it could happen.

If we put him on a similar deal to Salah at the same time then his LFC + Nike income would probably be better his current PSG + Nike income.

Add in that other endorsements from companies other than Nike would also likely improve moving to a higher profile league and his income could dramatically improve.

All of which ignores the fact that if it really is just about the money he won't leave PSG full stop. No European side can afford to match them for wages. And what they are currently offering blows everything else out of the water.

However there is definitely a chance/strong likelihood that Mbappe wouldn't be LOSING money by moving to us. Which makes talk of a deal a lot more realistic.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I was going to attempt to explain my point again, but since you missed it the first time, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
How could pre-existing deals/negotiations between Nike and Mbappe, a relationship that predates even his time at PSG be brought into question under FFP? He already has a deal with Nike, Nike are already going to have to pay him more or less, as part of that deal, if he plays in teams that wear Nike, play in higher profile leagues and challenge for/win trophies. Nike are also going to be paying more to any of their athletes that are free to market LFC stuff to promote a new campaign they have just signed an industry changing deal with us to win. All of that is 100% independent and free from any levels of control we have and is between Nike determining the best way for them to pay their under contract athletes for Nikes benefit.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I was going to attempt to explain my point again, but since you missed it the first time, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
Unless I missed something, I got your question/point? How do you ensure they are independent? It's two separate negotiations. One between club and player and one between player and Nike.

Would rather you did explain it now haha

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Unless I missed something, I got your question/point? How do you ensure they are independent? It's two separate negotiations. One between club and player and one between player and Nike.

Would rather you did explain it now haha
It's often tripartite. That's how it's set up under the PL players' contract (paragraph 4 is a useful starting point). https://www.premierleague.com/publications The standard form PL players' contract can be found at p305 onwards of the PL Handbook.

The Club enters into an agreement with the Player regarding the Player's image rights (both those within the UK and (separately) those outside of it). The general rule is that it can account for 20% of a player's income but Mbappé would be an exceptional case allowing that % to be significantly exceeded.

How much those image rights are valued requires parallel considerations of the value of the Player's 3rd party endorsements. Hence with his main sponsors the contractual agreements regarding exploitation of the player's image are often a tripartite agreement between Club, Player and Sponsor. All perfectly legitimate.