Kylian Mbappé (FW) PSG

What will Mbappe be leaning on?

• The number 6, which he cheekily turns upside down into a 9, waggling his eyebrows

• Mikey Edward's elephant-sized cock

• Piled up lifesized cutouts of Benteke, Carroll, Jovanovic, and Voronin

• Maria's tea set

• ISMF's ego for starting this thread

• A simple conference table, because he has fully accepted being a humble part of the red machine

• The burnt-out remains of the redcafe server

• None of the above coz he ain't fookin comin', man

• A big VAR screen, to freak out all Abu Dhabi fans

Results are only viewable after voting.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The Neymar to Real interest all came from Neymar. While the club looked into the possibilty, because why wouldn't you when Neymar is telling your players that he is desperate to move to your club, they decided at the time the fee was too much and never put in any kind of offer. They were never actively pursuing him and they couldn't give a fuck about never signing Neymar.

Mbappe to Real is different. He wants them and they want him. He doesn't want to re-sign with PSG despite an increase in wages.

PSG don't want to sell and from the sounds of things are prepared to lose him on a free. Perhaps it's a game of chicken, and they'll accept a lesser (but still large) fee from Real when he has a year left.

When Mbappe does move to Real, he will not be doing so for no wages. He and his agent will look to get paid as much as possible, no matter if wages are not the most important thing, any player at the highest level would want the most money they can get. And I'm not saying it's so he buy overly expensive wellies. But the more money you can get the better you can provide for friends and family and donate more to charity.

We might well be interested in Mbappe and have made enquiries, like Real did with Neymar, but the likely outcome is we'll never make an actual offer because we know the deal is largely improbable because he's going to Madrid.
I'm not saying we are getting Mbappe. For all I know we don't even want to try.

What I have a problem with is the following assertions;

1; We can't bring him in because of wages. The difference between Mbappes current deal and Salahs current deal is less than the difference between Mbappes deal with Nike and Neymars deal with Nike. Along with other endorsements Mbappe coming here on a deal that matches Salah could increase his total combined income, maybe even significantly.

2; We can't afford him. We will probably only add one or two players each summer now unless something unexpected happens. We have great depth and balance with fantastic youth players ready to take the squad roles. We have record incomes and we could end up selling over 100 million worth of players this summer that wouldn't even need replacing.

3; Real Madrid can afford to buy him this summer. I don't see it. I really think Reals financial strength is like how people kept talking of Wenger being a great developer of talent up till he got fired. Its something built on activity that is now years old, completely out of date, and there has been no evidence of it for at least 5 maybe 10 years.

4; We don't need a top forward who plays in the style of Mane and Salah, cover options are good enough. Just will never agree with this. A smaller number of higher quality players is better to me than a larger number of players, some quality, others you will use as little as you can get away with. The smaller numbers means you can give more chances to youth players and the higher quality means you don't see drop offs.

If people disagree with me on these things it's fine, I can deal with opinions. But a lot of people are posting on here telling me how I'm wrong. Not sharing an opinion. Without hard evidence such as inside knowledge or the ability to see the future people can't know just like I can't. Theres a lot of certainty on here. I don't see the basis for the certainty.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
1. Mbappe already earns nearly twice as much as Salah from the starting point of a basic weekly wage. Irrespective of if you can change the structure of payment, it's still nearly twice as much. He won't be taking a pay cut of that size if he comes here. While we may be able to pay it, we won't because of the ripple effect on the rest of the squad.

2. We can afford him. Nobody is disputing that. It just doesn't necessarily make sense to.

3. Real can afford him because he will either cost nothing, or his fee will be not be exorbitant if he only has a year left on his contract.

4. I'm not even sure how to approach this one as it seems you never can understand no matter how many times it is explained. But as there's nothing else happening this weekend i'll give it another try.

Nobody (and I really mean nobody) has any problem with us signing another forward.

Last summer, everyone agreed that another forward would have been a good and useful addition to the squad. It then became very obvious, very quickly that Klopp was not going to sign anyone and was going to use solutions from within the current squad. The disagreements that arose we not that we shouldn't buy another player, but that the options that we were linked with did not make sense due to an abundance of reasons that there's little point going over again. The choice to use cover options was a choice made by Klopp, so if you will never agree with that, then you don't agree with him, not us.

At some point the club became aware that Minamino had his release clause and so swiftly moved to bring him in. Had his clause not existed we would probably have waited until the summer. But he did, so we brought in a 4th forward. Unsurprisingly everyone was delighted with the move.

With the news of the Afcon, it looks like a move for another forward in the summer is a real possibilty again. Nobody is saying we shouldn't do this. The disagreement now seems to be the profile of the player that we will be looking at. Once again all the noises that come from Klopp and the club that suggest we won't be bringing in a player in the price range of Mbappe or Sancho you choose to ignore. I think you'd struggle to find a member of this forum who doesn't want to sign one of these players in the summer. All that is happening now is people trying to point out to you the myriad of reasons why moves for these players are unlikely (not impossible).

Nobody is certain about what will happen, we're all just giving our best-guess opinions. If all your opinions are contradictory to everything the club has been saying and doing for the last 9 months, then are course
people are going to disagree with you.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@Chewbazza answered most of your other points, so to help keep things a little shorter i'm just picking up a few points from your last post.

How have i ignored it? we've both bored forum members silly with lengthy posts on the subject. Since he hasnt moved yet, the bolded is a bit redundant.

erm....there is no one way 'football works'.

And it isnt using the same money twice. Example - Real free up £1m a week on wage bill. Pay Mbappe 500k per week leaving 500k a week spare. 500k x 52 = £26m. That £26m can go towards a payment to PSG in year 2 or 3 of the deal.

Some clubs will have the money available straight away to cover the transfer. Others will be using various income flows over the course of the contract to pay for it later.

Try looking at their balance sheet? They were virtually debt free and had 190m euros in the bank in the 2018 accounts. They have the highest commercial revenues in the game and the highest total revenues.

I gave you the link to Swiss Ramble's last piece on Real Madrid. He did another one a couple of years ago explaining why Barca and Real Madrid were actually capable of spending big on transfers if they wanted to even if their finances didnt look as solid as clubs in the premier league.

Alternatively you could look at this piece in the BBC last summer.

Or this one.

Real Madrid spent 300m euros last summer.

For some of the earlier period there may have been constraints but much of it over the last few years is because of a new financial strategy.

If Real Madrid really want Mbappe, there is no way we can beat them in fee or wages, if only because our owners and manager will always have a limit they arent willing to cross.
Right missed this last night but will keep my response brief. For all the talk of how their wage bill has loads of room and 180 million in the bank I'm picking up two things. In years without much spending they still only had 20 odd and 40 odd million profit. Yes they have massive, ridiculous even, revenue. They also have massive, ridiculous even, running costs. When they weren't spending much net for a few seasons they were walking away with less than 50 million net profit that built up the 180 million. Then, after a few years of frugality, the then go and have a blow out of 300 million (spread over several players with the Hazard deal so far equalling 90 million as the highest individual one) added to their short term future financial commitments. Now they could potentially spend a lot again this summer but yet again they are in a position they need to spread it out over several players. I admit I may end up being completely wrong but I don't see them matching this years spending and I don't see them putting the vast majority of it on one player. Even if they do I still believe there is a chance the player could end up being Neymar not Mbappe. Just my opinion we will have to wait till this summer to see what does or doesn't happen with how much they spend and who on.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
1. Mbappe already earns nearly twice as much as Salah from the starting point of a basic weekly wage. Irrespective of if you can change the structure of payment, it's still nearly twice as much. He won't be taking a pay cut of that size if he comes here. While we may be able to pay it, we won't because of the ripple effect on the rest of the squad.

2. We can afford him. Nobody is disputing that. It just doesn't necessarily make sense to.

3. Real can afford him because he will either cost nothing, or his fee will be not be exorbitant if he only has a year left on his contract.

4. I'm not even sure how to approach this one as it seems you never can understand no matter how many times it is explained. But as there's nothing else happening this weekend i'll give it another try.

Nobody (and I really mean nobody) has any problem with us signing another forward.

Last summer, everyone agreed that another forward would have been a good and useful addition to the squad. It then became very obvious, very quickly that Klopp was not going to sign anyone and was going to use solutions from within the current squad. The disagreements that arose we not that we shouldn't buy another player, but that the options that we were linked with did not make sense due to an abundance of reasons that there's little point going over again. The choice to use cover options was a choice made by Klopp, so if you will never agree with that, then you don't agree with him, not us.

At some point the club became aware that Minamino had his release clause and so swiftly moved to bring him in. Had his clause not existed we would probably have waited until the summer. But he did, so we brought in a 4th forward. Unsurprisingly everyone was delighted with the move.

With the news of the Afcon, it looks like a move for another forward in the summer is a real possibilty again. Nobody is saying we shouldn't do this. The disagreement now seems to be the profile of the player that we will be looking at. Once again all the noises that come from Klopp and the club that suggest we won't be bringing in a player in the price range of Mbappe or Sancho you choose to ignore. I think you'd struggle to find a member of this forum who doesn't want to sign one of these players in the summer. All that is happening now is people trying to point out to you the myriad of reasons why moves for these players are unlikely (not impossible).

Nobody is certain about what will happen, we're all just giving our best-guess opinions. If all your opinions are contradictory to everything the club has been saying and doing for the last 9 months, then are course
people are going to disagree with you.
1 Actually Mbappe earns nowhere near double what Salah does. ISMF has put the figures up. The difference between Salahs wage and Mbappes wage is less than the increase Mbappe could (easily and realistically) get from Nike. If Nike put Mbappe on the same deal as they have Neymar on it would be a bigger increase in salary.

2 Actually a lot are saying we can't afford him and at the price it seems PSG are starting discussions at we probably can't. I would agree that talk of 250 million fees would make it impossible. I've always argued on this that I believe PSG will get more realistic on price if it gives them more control of where Mbappe goes.

3 The theory that Real are waiting for the circumstances you say is actually the one put forward by me that they will wait till summer 2021 issue a take it or leave it fee to PSG or sign him for free in summer 2022. This is why I think a 3rd club would get some joy negotiating with PSG this summer on a more realistic fee as a compromise PSG may accept.

4 When we found out Minamino had the clause, if Klopp didn't feel he needed to add a forward at that stage, one of two things happens. 1 like with Grujic we trigger and buy Minamino but leave him where he is till the summer. 2 we bring Minamino in but let someone else move on, like Shaqiri on loan to Roma or the Lallana approaches we rejected. We added Minamino to the squad and played him straight away because we were light up top. You are speaking for yourself when you say nobody would reject a high quality signing some people have said they would prefer the club to look for a new Minamino signing or such. By the way it doesn't have to equal expensive, if Sancho or Mbappe would have been available on bosman deals they would still be the kind of player I think we'd need, I'm not wanting to spend the money for the sake of it, I just see it as very few players on the planet could now add what we need to add at this stage.

Ron Swanson

Really can't see the club basically changing everything they have created as in transfer structure and budget structure just for one player. The lad is class no doubt and the club could afford him but why take a risk he might not adjust to the prem plus the unrest cause through the squad. Werner will be the one coming in I reckon ticks all the boxes for their structure and recruitment process.

Jaytinho

Really can't see the club basically changing everything they have created as in transfer structure and budget structure just for one player. The lad is class no doubt and the club could afford him but why take a risk he might not adjust to the prem plus the unrest cause through the squad. Werner will be the one coming in I reckon ticks all the boxes for their structure and recruitment process.
Agreed. Werner seems alot more likely considering Klopps transfer policy since he came in. I just wonder how much corporate influence there will be from Nike etc regarding making the Mbappe deal a major marketing move rather than just a great signing? The timing seems to be well aligned

Limiescouse

It's from Reddy's latest article, isn't it? I think she was referring to Klopp's talks with Mbappe before he signed the new contract with Monaco, I think even before he got his starting spot. There were actually clips of his goals for Monaco's youth team doing the rounds at the time. One could see he was a talent but to go on and become the player he is... Wow. It's a shame that he's so fixated on Real Madrid but everyone had their dreams.
His career has been very carefully managed. He went into Clairfontaine at 13 as an unaffiliated player, but one that had already been fending off offers from all over Europe for several years. When he came out he had literally the pick of Europe but chose Monaco because they had a clear path into the first team for him.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
From today’s BBC gossip column:

Paris St-Germain are set to offer French striker Kylian Mbappe a £41m-per-year contract to avoid losing the 21-year-old to Real Madrid in 2021. (Mirror)

That’s nearly £800k per week. Good job that he loves Klopp’s hugs so much that he’s only requesting three of those and a bag of Wotsits to sign for us.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
From today’s BBC gossip column:

Paris St-Germain are set to offer French striker Kylian Mbappe a £41m-per-year contract to avoid losing the 21-year-old to Real Madrid in 2021. (Mirror)

That’s nearly £800k per week. Good job that he loves Klopp’s hugs so much that he’s only requesting three of those and a bag of Wotsits to sign for us.
Would that make him the best paid player on the planet? Probably. Ronaldo and Messi will be angry... :LOL:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Would that make him the best paid player on the planet? Probably. Ronaldo and Messi will be angry... :LOL:
Nope. Best paid player by a club on the planet. But still won't match their incomes. Endorsements are where the mega stars get their real income. Ronaldo is apparently on 100 million euros a year.

And Messi on 117 million euro a year.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Geez, these figures... o_O all that for kicking a ball... it's insane!
Its why I still think there is a chance for us. We look like we will win the league by a huge margin setting records as we go, possibly even still do well in a 3rd CL campaign on a trot too possibly retaining it. The Nike marketing explosion to turn LFC into more than just a kit and a legitimate fashion brand all about to kick off. Mbappe moving to us in that situation as a hyped up Galactico basically (and first true Galactico for quite awhile unless you consider Neymar moving to a league of limited quality purely for money) could be the perfect storm. He could see his salary expand ridiculously due to that situation. Ronaldo and Messi level endorsements could even be possible, talking 30-40 million a year on top of anything paid by the club. It really is possible that he would become a Messi like entity for his generation of footballers by making that move. You can argue the same for going to Real Madrid but I'm not sure it would be quite the same splash as it used to be, he could just be viewed worldwide on same level as the Suarez to Barca and Bale to Real if it happened now. I'm still far from convinced Real can afford £100 million + on a single player. Anyway I'm repeating myself yet again sorry. Just get carried away by the thought of it all.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I...) Anyway I'm repeating myself yet again sorry. Just get carried away by the thought of it all.
Indeed! :LOL:

The reason I think that he'll go to Real Madrid is that it will bring them the thing you've said they have lacked over the last years. That special bubble going with being the biggest club in the world. That's why they'll be hell-bent to get him whatever the price they have to pay.

On the other hand, in Klopp's view he might be a handy reinforcement of our already fearsome attacking line if he manages to adapt to the PL (which is not a foregone conclusion by any means), but not an instrumental, next-level move. What people like Gordon or Henry might think is another matter.

Anyway, you're right, let's see how it unfolds. If he ends up at LFC, I'll certainly not complain about that!

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Indeed! :LOL:

The reason I think that he'll go to Real Madrid is that it will bring them the thing you've said they have lacked over the last years. That special bubble going with being the biggest club in the world. That's why they'll be hell-bent to get him whatever the price they have to pay.

On the other hand, in Klopp's view he might be a handy reinforcement of our already fearsome attacking line if he manages to adapt to the PL (which is not a foregone conclusion by any means), but not an instrumental, next-level move. What people like Gordon or Henry might think is another matter.

Anyway, you're right, let's see how it unfolds. If he ends up at LFC, I'll certainly not complain about that!
I think Real also, weirdly apparantly they have the best defense in the league this season, so Zidane seems to be creating a solid defensive base. You'd expect his next step is to add a world class attacker to take the team to the next level.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Predicted hangover of the City ban;

PSG stabilising their books and accounts ASAP! Next few seasons running at a net profit on transfers.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
£41m a year, no rush but sign now, no, no, Man City ban has nooooothing todo with this offer. I promise, we have done nothing wrong.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I have the feeling Mbappé is a bit of a glamour boy who wants to play and live in a city like Paris, Madrid or London for instance, not in a blue-collar town like Liverpool.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Does anyone think Nike could help finance a deal for Mbappé? Anyone thought about that?
Would that be allowed?

I thought the transfer fee would have to be totally from us under ffp and 3rd party ownership

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Ah ok. So your looking at the wage aspect not the actual transfer
The fee could be an issue

We need to dig a bit deeper though, check out how long his current contract is

Anything less than say 24-30 months and this could get interesting

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
I have the feeling Mbappé is a bit of a glamour boy who wants to play and live in a city like Paris, Madrid or London for instance, not in a blue-collar town like Liverpool.
And I have a feeling he likes Klopp,
that could be a big influence on any decisions he makes,

if LFC are even interested in him that is....

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
You also think that Adrián is rubbish, so I’ll take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

And that’s all it is... opinion. What proof do you have to support your argument that Mbappé is a “glamour boy”? Neymar? Definitely. Mbappé? No evidence whatsoever.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Sorry, yeah. Although Nike paid some of Coutinho's - we just need Nike to accidentally on purpose release Mbappé Liverpool shirts for sale whilst he's still with PSG
That will cause a massive meltdown, here, other platforms, and rival clubs alike! :whistle:

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
That will cause a massive meltdown, here, other platforms, and rival clubs alike! :whistle:
Don’t laugh... I’ve got Manchester United supporting friends who have threatened to stop watching football* completely if we sign Mbappé.

* I would have thought that following United was the same thing.