Lazar Marković (RW/LW/FW) SL Benfica

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrongIslander

lfc.8 said:
Sturridge while good, is injury prone. Therefore we'd need another top striker / forward. Balotelli wouldn't be a bad option.
Agreed but Sanchez and let's not forget Lambert can both play up top. I would like to see another striker in though who would be willing to be rotated.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
liverpool_singh said:
Because he will get pushed further down the pecking order than he already is and won't get any game time. He has already expressed his wishes to leave the club if he doesn't get much first team action this season and seeing the highlights of Markovic I'm not entirely convinced he is worth paying that much money for. The Portugese league is still not that strong and I bet Suso would have looked quite good playing in that league as well.
If he shows he's good enough then he'll get plenty of playing time. Brendan has already shown that price tags and reputations count for little with him and everyone gets a chance.

lfc.8

bes said:
Balotelli never plays wide lol. The last thing we need is another head case and he's one lazy diva with all the potential, wouldnt bother, I'll take a less skilled Borini who busts his ass everyday. I dont mind seeing Borini as 2nd choice, Lambert being 3rd with Sanchez 4th. Allows us to play a 4231.
Predominantly he plays down the middle, though at times he played as a wide forward for City, and when he was at Inter.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
What league you're playing in doesn't affect your pace, this lad looks absolutely lightening with and without the ball. His control when running at speed is superb too. Watching videos of him he's reminding me of how Cuadrado has been playing for Columbia, just breezes past people effortlessly.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Zoran said:
Nikola is he the winger with old-school tricks you've been waiting for so long? ;)
Haha, don't rub salt into my wounds, Zoki! :) Now that you've mentioned it, his tricks are simple (or, as I would put it, "outdated") but when he's confident enough to use them, they pay off. I'm yet to see him perform a Cruyff turn, though (but we'll have Lallana to teach him)! :D

I really wouldn't know what to expect from him. This little bugger has a lot to learn, hopefully we buy someone for first eleven and ease him in. He could be useful against continental sides who have offensive-minded fullbacks, though, but someone like Ashley Cole would put him in his pocket nine out ten times, I guess...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Never heard about the lad, but looking at that youtube vid, he looks to be the kind of creative guy who can unlock a disciplined defence by pulling a rabbit out of his hat at any moment. Looks to have a great vision on the pitch aw well, and a lot of pace to burn.

Not sure he'd thrive in the PL from the off though, when confronted with the big thugs we have in this league, so he'd need time to bed in, a bit like Coutinho. But judging by Nik's comments (which definitely have more weight than some youtube excerpts) he seems to be a decent target for this club. Hopefully this one comes off.

But don't expect too much from himr ight from the beginning, that's all. He'll be going up and down, just like Coutinho.

nikz200

with the sanchez deal heading south fast, perhaps its time to cash in on Markovic who is blisteringly fast. Im just worried about his age, i dont know if he will be ready to contribute right away without conditioning to the english defence week in and week out.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
nikz200 said:
with the sanchez deal heading south fast, perhaps its time to cash in on Markovic who is blisteringly fast. Im just worried about his age, i dont know if he will be ready to contribute right away without conditioning to the english defence week in and week out.
Doubt he would be a starter. Probably to be brought off the bench until he acclimatises.

WrongIslander

nikz200 said:
with the sanchez deal heading south fast...
Says who? Who is a reliable source that has said that and is a better source than Phil Thompson?

Him and Markovic with Sterling and Sturridge? My word.

LFC_nº7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJu_9W2aZDI

This is the video that shows more about Markovic's quality,since most of his runs in this video happened when we was playing in the middle or on the left,instead of playing on the right as he did for most of the season with Benfica.

Really hope we sign him,we won't regret it

Reactions: TFC

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
LFC_nº7 said:

This is the video that shows more about Markovic's quality,since most of his runs in this video happened when we was playing in the middle or on the left,instead of playing on the right as he did for most of the season with Benfica.

Awesome video. Love your enthusiasm for him too, as you've probably actually watched him more than any of us.

Ignoring the Suarez saga, I like that we're mixing safe quality signings (Lallana and Lambert) and higher risk potentially higher reward guys like him.

nikz200

LFC_nº7 said:

IM also very stoked for this move to happen. Markovics pace and skill fits in with how we play utilising the wings. Im sure he will also become a great player over time. The only 2 things that worry me about this move is 1) chelseas clause they have with the player and then 2) in a league where there is usually no space behind the centre backs, how can he break through, although i think his pace is world class, i think his little tricks need to improve. My mouth is watering thinking about how young our foward force will be if we can get this kid and one other player for the foward line.

Nick

Seems like another Sterlling which will give us the option to go tradtional 4-2-4 at anfield and really stretch team or if you prefer 4-2-2-1-1

It will be great to have options

nikz200

Nick said:
Seems like another Sterlling which will give us the option to go tradtional 4-2-4 at anfield and really stretch team or if you prefer 4-2-2-1-1

It will be great to have options
Can you imagine rodgers team talk to the kids if we are a goal down in the champions league, he pulls Markovic and Sterling aside and knocks their heads together "Your both going to just run, just run at them , dont you dare stop running till the game ends"

LFC_nº7

nikz200 said:
IM also very stoked for this move to happen. Markovics pace and skill fits in with how we play utilising the wings. Im sure he will also become a great player over time. The only 2 things that worry me about this move is 1) chelseas clause they have with the player and then 2) in a league where there is usually no space behind the centre backs, how can he break through, although i think his pace is world class, i think his little tricks need to improve. My mouth is watering thinking about how young our foward force will be if we can get this kid and one other player for the foward line.
That's what makes him so special and the difference between him and other players with great pace. He's not only fast,he also has great technique.That's why he can run that way with the ball so well controlled and with his quick feet get players out of the way. And in the Premier League,you won't find too many team parking the bus the way all Portuguese teams,apart from Porto and Sporting,do when they play Benfica,home or away.

Having said this,obviously don't expect him to be player of the year on his first season.He still has a lot to learn,mostly on his decision making,because he sometimes overdoes things a bit,and his finishing.

Another thing that I'm sure Brendan liked a lot when observing him is his work rate. He works really hard and won't let you down with his defensive duties.

Great credit there to Jorge Jesus who is,imo,one of the very best working with young players.

spizfromoz

if we're linked with players who can play wide in the offensive half, I'm thrilled as that's where we need someone - Shaqiri, Sanchez, Markovic - players who will give real options because if we play games with one striker next season, having two wide forward types that can really play on either side will make us a more potent side. Sterling on one and whoever on the other. Thing is which one will best suit the English game? A lot of continentals look good on the ball, but in England, they won't get much time to show this...

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Hope this comes off looks like a real prospect but as with all the others I'll believe when I see pics of him being Zaffed!

On that subject what happened to Lallana did he get lost, or, god forbid was the media full of shit, yet again!

nikz200

hugo the horrible said:
Hope this comes off looks like a real prospect but as with all the others I'll believe when I see pics of him being Zaffed!

On that subject what happened to Lallana did he get lost, or, god forbid was the media full of shit, yet again!
They said they will announce it on monday, which is today hopefully, if not he will be announced with Can on the 1st of July.

supereddman98

Odd games I caught of Benfica when he played he showed a fantastic willingness to track back and help out his full back. On the ball his movement is rapid, potentially could become a cracking player.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Yeah he reminds me of younger Willian , great technically but seems to work exceptionally hard when I saw him but even faster. Also similarly could improve on his finishing

starshadow

Not really watched too much of him but theres seems to be a lot of positivity around him and he's not English.

Sounds good all around, just wish we would pull this off and get in a player to improve the first 11.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
starshadow said:
Not really watched too much of him but theres seems to be a lot of positivity around him and he's not English.

Sounds good all around, just wish we would pull this off and get in a player to improve the first 11.
Doesn't matter if he is English or not, Sterling and Sturridge are both English and both are fantastically gifted individuals who were well coached from an early age (The same can be said from anyone coming through at Southampton, it was not all Ponchettino and Cortese they benefited from what is an exceptional youth system that continues to provide some excellent talent).

Gilly?

TIA Youth Team
Getting excited at the prospect of this fella. Never seen him play, but the enthusiasm is rubbing off.

supereddman98

TBF if he did join now I can't see him being past anything other than an impact player off the bench, think one more season at Benfica would benefit him the most for more game time.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
LFC_nº7 said:

Pace and football intelligent, you can't teach these two.

With development to his potential, we can see a world beater right here. Resemble Bale and Renaldo at that department, or worse Robben in lightning pace and dribbling (without much else). Release him on counter attacks and our opponents will shit brick

One of the thing we missed during Hendo red card, is someone who can run the ball up from midfield. But that what made Sterling so good for us toward the end of our last season. Get Markovic and now we have 2 of them. With Ibe coming up as well. Man there are gonna be so much paces in this team

Exciting indeed

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I'm all for getting this one done, and I think it's exactly the sort of player we should be interested in. Bags of talent, tons of potential, will be world class with the right coaching. And we can certainly offer the right coaching.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Oh my God, he is fast and does have an end product unlike players in the past like Babel. I think he is slightly above the level of possible potential, he looks like a very good player already, just needs to step up to be even better amongst the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.