• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Lazar Marković (RW) to ANYONE. PLEASE, SOMEONE FUCKING TAKE HIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Great move.

Both for his long term development and financially for the Club this makes sense.

Playing on the left or right in a 4-3-3 he's behind Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe, Lallana, even Ings, Origi, and Sturridge.

I know we play a lot of young players but he's only 21, he needs to play and develop. He's going to a big club and hopefully he will improve and return a better player. If he does he can still have a future with Liverpool.

I'm happy for him.
How many of these actually are traditional wingers through?

Ibe, maybe Firmingho. Both Lallana and Coutinho were creative winger/ insider forward. You will never see them run pass their man from the wings. Ings, Sturridge, Origi are strikers. Origi is second striker in fact.

Well, whatever.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Not in favor of sending Markovic out on loan and outside the EPL makes it seem like a worse idea but at least we aren't paying his wages and getting a loan fee. What this hopefully means is that Teixeira gets a chance and is kept on this season. Joao Carlos looks a more confident player to me so it might work out for everyone involved.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
A little surprised, not because a loan won't benefit him because it absolutely will, but because I thought he was a certainty to feature heavily in the cups and EL. Perhaps it came down to either him or Ibe needing to go out due to sheer numbers of players we have for those positions, and although currently it's not working for him Ibe has looked more promising.

I know Markovic has his supporters on here, but I've just never seen anything from him, barring a flashy move or two in the occasional game that suggests he's anywhere near ready to be a regular. He may yet get there. He may not. Personally think we massively overpaid and will probably end up taking a pretty big hit when we sell in a year or two.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Huh? How does that make any sense? :eh?: Sooner or later, Lallana will break down again and be out for a few weeks, if not months (isn't he injured again already?), and Ibe will have highs and lows, that's guaranteed as a young player. So, who will play in that forward line? In a 433, we'll have Benteke, Coutinho and Firmino as usual starters, with Sturridge eventually coming back into the mix and contending for a place as well. But apart from that? We'll again be dramatically short in these positions.

We have a gruelling fixture list in front of us, with a lot of travels, and I suspect that Rodgers might again underestimate what it will take in terms of freshness and fitness. For Markovic's development, such a move might maybe make sense, although buckling down, staying at the club and getting a run of starts in the Europa League games would be a much better option imo. But for the club, that would be a definite own-goal in my book.

Cue the usual excuses propping up in a few months about a lack of quality depth in the squad... :unhappy:

Edit: forgot about Ings and Origi... maybe Rodgers has decided that they are ahead of Markovic in their development and quality, so maybe that makes sense after all... not being optimistic about the lad's chances to make it here then... 20m down the drain... again...

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
True, Ibe will play less than originally thought, Texeira might get an extra run. It only leaves the injury prone Lallana Cou and Firmino backed up with Origi playing as a wide forward once in a while since I can't imagine him getting the central spot any time soon. Think he does that for Belgium sometimes. Jack Dunn, perhaps? There's a thought!

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Huh? How does that make any sense? :eh?: Sooner or later, Lallana will break down again and be out for a few weeks, if not months (isn't he injured again already?), and Ibe will have highs and lows, that's guaranteed as a young player. So, who will play in that forward line? In a 433, we'll have Benteke, Coutinho and Firmino as usual starters, with Sturridge eventually coming back into the mix and contending for a place as well. But apart from that? We'll again be dramatically short in these positions.

We have a gruelling fixture list in front of us, with a lot of travels, and I suspect that Rodgers might again underestimate what it will take in terms of freshness and fitness. For Markovic's development, such a move might maybe make sense, although buckling down, staying at the club and getting a run of starts in the Europa League games would be a much better option imo. But for the club, that would be a definite own-goal in my book.

Cue the usual excuses propping up in a few months about a lack of quality depth in the squad... :unhappy:

Edit: forgot about Ings and Origi... maybe Rodgers has decided that they are ahead of Markovic in their development and quality, so maybe that makes sense after all... not being optimistic about the lad's chances to make it here then... 20m down the drain... again...
Yeah, was about to reply to say the stuff you added with the edit. A while back, in preseason, I did a first and second-choice XI just for fun, and it was only later I realised Markovic wasn't in either one. I think we'll eventually settle on a three-forward, three-CM type system, and for the two spots behind Benteke, who will fill that role most of the season, you have Sturridge, Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Ings and Origi. Even Teixera, who looks like staying this season. If we revert to a 4-4-2 diamond to play Benteke and Sturridge together, there's even less room for Markovic.

Drubas

We want him to develop and we send him to Turkey,that league well known to be the ideal place for young players to progress... If it wasn't serious I would be laughing about this. Absolutely pathetic.
He will play in an attack minded top club, with some top european players.

What would be a better option, in your mind?

Drubas

He will never return to Liverpool,not with Brendan here. Remember Brendan saying last season that Luis Alberto was very much in his plans for the future? Where is he now?

He will go there,we'll hope he has a decent season and then await for someone to offer us half of what we paid last year.
He has been part of our future. :-D

But seriously, every manager in the world will say the same, when they loan out young prospects.

Kanonkop

I think a loan makes sense. We massively overpaid for him, he is clearly not a player that Rodgers has much time for and thus the best thing is to send him to a club where he will get decent playing time to a) further develop and b) put himself in the shop window.

I expect he gets sold next summer if Rodgers is still our manager so then it's about minimising our loss. If he featured in our longer term plans he would have got a loan in the Premiership. No point keeping a player that the manager doesn't want or need.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
After watching Ibe on Monday I think this is a mistake especially as Lallana is showing dismal form too.

Then again... Moreno...

Eire-Dearg

Prodigal Son
Would've liked to see him stay, but he's far better off getting 90 minutes week in week out in a competitive league. He's got RVP, Meireles and Nani to work with.

Billy Stevo's left boot

Born in L5, live in L4, support one L of a team
I don't understand what the club are doing tbh, we buy one of Europe's top young talents for £20m but play him out of position and expect him to be the finished article at 20?
Look at the work Ferguson had to put in with Ronaldo when he first arrived in this country, good job for his sakes that he went to a club like United, we would have took one look at him doing a Michael Flatley impression down by the corner flag and sent him out on loan.

Danny_

Better be a loan fee for this one or for us to be, at least, able to recall him...

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
good move.

The forward three: Benteke, Phil, Firmino, Lallana, Ibe, Ings, Tex, sturridge = thats EIGHT palyers ! more than enough to cover 3/4 positions (depending on whether 3.2.3.1 or 4.3.3)

Im not sure if the reason is so that he can develop (as with Ibe) or whether its the beginning of the end (as with Ballio)

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Just out of interest can anybody think of players we have loaned out and they came back stronger and made their way into the first team?
Ibe springs to mind but I'd wager he isn't ready yet and would be most likely on loan again had Sterling been retained.
We have seen young foreign players like Suso, Pacheco, Alberto,Borini, and Ilori go out on loans which other than a saving on wages and at least getting then game time, made little difference to their development into first team players here.
Its also one thing buying a young player for a smallish fee and loaning them to develop but paying 20M for a young player to loan makes no sense whatsoever.

Cestrian

Look at the work Ferguson had to put in with Ronaldo when he first arrived in this country, good job for his sakes that he went to a club like United, we would have took one look at him doing a Michael Flatley impression down by the corner flag and sent him out on loan.
oh yeah united are brilliant! I think you are on the wrong forum mate. Markovic had more than enough chances last season and showed nothing. He needs games to improve and he's not going to get them at anfield and rightly so. He is well down the pecking order. Let's see how he gets on and if he doesn't pull his finger out cut our losses. Poor scouting to blame in my opinion but it's always a gamble with younger players.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Just out of interest can anybody think of players we have loaned out and they came back stronger and made their way into the first team?
Ibe springs to mind but I'd wager he isn't ready yet and would be most likely on loan again had Sterling been retained.
We have seen young foreign players like Suso, Pacheco, Alberto,Borini, and Ilori go out on loan which other than a saving on wages has made little difference to their development into first team players here.
Martin Kelly is about the only one I can think of.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Martin Kelly is about the only one I can think of.
Forgot about him Mate, injury was a factor but he didn't really make it here either.
Again small (ish) fees on several young players is maybe a way to find a real asset who can make a big difference to the quality of the squad or be sold at a profit (Sterling comes to mind) but buying players like Markovic and Borini for over 30M and loaning both seems like a stupid move to me.
I cannot think of an example of one player (young or otherwise) who we have loaned to foreign club who has come back stronger and made the grade here. Maybe there are examples but I cannot think of anyone.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Forgot about him Mate, injury was a factor but he didn't really make it here either.
Injury was more than a factor, at one point it was debated whether he'd retire or not. His loan and re-integration into the team was a successful one imo, the fact his body let him down afterwards doesn't change that.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Injury was more than a factor, at one point it was debated whether he'd retire or not. His loan and re-integration into the team was a successful one imo, the fact his body let him down afterwards doesn't change that.
Yes I totally agree mate, injury crippled his chances which was a real shame. Ibe had a successful loan too. Both players are English and were loaned with in the English league, maybe thats a factor too.
I think anybody thinking Markovic is going to have a loan in Turkey and come back after a Season ready to play at this level in this league is just wishful thinking.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Yeah, was about to reply to say the stuff you added with the edit. A while back, in preseason, I did a first and second-choice XI just for fun, and it was only later I realised Markovic wasn't in either one. I think we'll eventually settle on a three-forward, three-CM type system, and for the two spots behind Benteke, who will fill that role most of the season, you have Sturridge, Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Ings and Origi. Even Teixera, who looks like staying this season. If we revert to a 4-4-2 diamond to play Benteke and Sturridge together, there's even less room for Markovic.
Agree. I still have hopes of Markovic being a part of Liverpool, but he clearly needs to develop and regain confidence and consistency if it's ever going to work for him.

I think playing ~35 matches for a big Club like Fenerbache is better than 12-15 here.

He's only 21. If he returns as the player he could be next year, he will still only be 22, there's still plenty of time for him.

And maybe I'm wrong but I don't think this is just down to Rodgers. He played a lot of games last year, many ineffective where he requires an early sub. He's had a full preseason and in sure the new coaches have been evaluating him too.

I think this is a smart move and his best chance at showing his talent this year.

soberphobia

Hope the kid tears up the league there. He was certainly mismanaged here. He can play as a winger or as a left sided forward but was played in an unfamiliar position for the most part in a new league and country. Might be the move he needs although I would rather have seen him go to a PL club.

BikerJoe

I don't own 90min.com!
The emergance of Ibe and the purchase of Firmino then this summer coupled with his mismanagement among other things has probably affected his playing time here, which is unfortunate, a lot was expected of him (mostly due to his price tag) when he came to Liverpool and he did develop a bit last season but his chances were limited.

The only way he'll get more playing time is if he goes out on loan, its unfortunate but necessary I feel.

Billy Stevo's left boot

oh yeah united are brilliant! I think you are on the wrong forum mate. Markovic had more than enough chances last season and showed nothing. He needs games to improve and he's not going to get them at anfield and rightly so. He is well down the pecking order. Let's see how he gets on and if he doesn't pull his finger out cut our losses. Poor scouting to blame in my opinion but it's always a gamble with younger players.
More than enough chances? You mean at wing back? Let's face it Coutinho is a cracking player but if his Liverpool career hinged on how he performed at wing back then he'd be getting loaned out too.
Brendan likes to talk about developing young players well he was handed someone who was widely regarded as one of the brightest young talents in european football last summer and if anything Markovic has regressed.
As I said if we want the finished product why don't we just buy players in their late 20's, why bother buying young players if we are not prepared to develop them? Seems Brendan's idea of developing young players is sending them out on loan for someone else to coach.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Really quite disappointed about this - ironically, he was one of our players with more experience in European competition

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Again small (ish) fees on several young players is maybe a way to find a real asset who can make a big difference to the quality of the squad or be sold at a profit (Sterling comes to mind) but buying players like Markovic and Borini for over 30M and loaning both seems like a stupid move to me.
I cannot think of an example of one player (young or otherwise) who we have loaned to foreign club who has come back stronger and made the grade here. Maybe there are examples but I cannot think of anyone.
Sending players on loan gives them the opportunity to play games consistently, often with lower expectations to try and build some confidence and in turn form. The benefit to our club then is that maybe we get a player back ready to perform at a higher level than when they left or worst case they do enough to earn themselves a move elsewhere and assist us in recovering some of our initial outlay.

Either way I would prefer the club to be proactive in this respect and use the loan system to it's advantage wherever possible, it's always annoying to spend huge chunks of money on players and then end up sending them on loan but it's important to remember both Borini and Markovic where bought with the expectation they would perform well for the club. It hasn't worked out for either of them here and in Borinis case a loan is a waste of time, he has been down that path and really needs to find a new club, but for Markovic and other young players I would prefer the club to use a season long loan first before making any final decisions about the players long term future with the club think that is certainly in the clubs best interest.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Sending players on loan gives them the opportunity to play games consistently, often with lower expectations to try and build some confidence and in turn form. The benefit to our club then is that maybe we get a player back ready to perform at a higher level than when they left or worst case they do enough to earn themselves a move elsewhere and assist us in recovering some of our initial outlay.

Either way I would prefer the club to be proactive in this respect and use the loan system to it's advantage wherever possible, it's always annoying to spend huge chunks of money on players and then end up sending them on loan but it's important to remember both Borini and Markovic where bought with the expectation they would perform well for the club. It hasn't worked out for either of them here and in Borinis case a loan is a waste of time, he has been down that path and really needs to find a new club, but for Markovic and other young players I would prefer the club to use a season long loan first before making any final decisions about the players long term future with the club think that is certainly in the clubs best interest.
I understand the loan process mate, no need to explain it. What I'm asking is for an example of where a player has been loaned (to a foreign club in particular) and come back to Liverpool and regained a place in the side?
I can see how it puts a player in the shop window but I cannot think of a player who has gone on loan, really up his game, and then been sold by Liverpool the following Summer either.
Andy Carroll is about the only example of where the loan to buy option was followed through.......again that was an English club but do people really think Milan will suddenly pay a big fee for Mario nest summer. Remember the Aquilaini loan to buy deals.

Billy Stevo's left boot

Yes Borini and Markovic were bought with the expectation of performing well for the club but so were Lovren and Lallana and they were underwhelming as well, in fact at least Markovic and Borini have the excuse of being young, Lallana and Lovren are smack bang in the middle of their footballing primes. Why aren't they getting farmed out? Double standards methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.