• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Lazar Marković (RW) to ANYONE. PLEASE, SOMEONE FUCKING TAKE HIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorwayFan

Markovic has every right to run his contract down.
Just like Bogdan did. Just like every other mediocre player on massive money will.
It’s not his fault he’s not good enough but to expect him to hand his lottery ticket back because it doesn’t benefit us as a club is ridiculous.

I mean, we actually have players at the club who are on several times what markovic is on who don’t even know how to run anymore.

Markovic was just not good enough. He’s a championship player. I won’t miss him. But I don’t blame him either.
Well, I think we should get some things straight here... I think everyone understands that Markovic has "every right to run his contract down". I think most even can relate to his choice to earn good money. But guess what, that is not the point. The criticism from fans can probably be summed up in one tiny word: Respect. Or more correctly, lack of. Many fans ask what are Markovic ambitions as a footballer. What is the motivation of any top player? Of course money may be an important part. But as fans, we also expect a personal drive to become a good player as possible. A personal drive to reach as far as possible. A personal drive to follow that childhood dream to be a football star. A personal drive to be popular among fans. A personal drive to reach your goals in life. A true desire to help your club. The things that create, well, respect... And then you have the wish and hunger for the money. Understandable, yes. Create respect? Not so much. Add a club like Liverpool, and you can include factors like passion, history, pride, trophies, ambitions and honor. Then you can think about Markovic again. Is it ridiculous to expect such things from a Liverpool player? From someone who was hailed as one of "the next big things" in football? We shouldn't blame Markovic? Really? Thing is, we don't blame him for getting rich. Who wouldn't. But he is to blame for all those other things. And that is a very important difference... Because every single player who wears a Liverpool shirt, is expected to have the ambitions, qualities and personal attributes I mentioned above. That personal drive, if you will. And yes, we should also blame those who unfortunately brought Markovic to the club. But I think they already know it.

Do we understand Markovic choices? Yes, of course. Do we respect him? No, not at all. You get what you give. Including respect. And that is exactly why we blame him. Because this is Liverpool Football Club. At this beautiful family and professional organisation, there are values more important than money. Values that are built on, and creates, that tiny but so important one factor: Respect. That should be worth more than any lottery ticket. And I am sure the portuguese knows it, whether he puts in a tackle at the academy training ground, or passes fans on the streets of the city.

We are Liverpool. Markovic is not. So he will never have our respect. At least not mine.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Well, I think we should get some things straight here... I think everyone understands that Markovic has "every right to run his contract down". I think most even can relate to his choice to earn good money. But guess what, that is not the point. The criticism from fans can probably be summed up in one tiny word: Respect. Or more correctly, lack of. Many fans ask what are Markovic ambitions as a footballer. What is the motivation of any top player? Of course money may be an important part. But as fans, we also expect a personal drive to become a good player as possible. A personal drive to reach as far as possible. A personal drive to follow that childhood dream to be a football star. A personal drive to be popular among fans. A personal drive to reach your goals in life. A true desire to help your club. The things that create, well, respect... And then you have the wish and hunger for the money. Understandable, yes. Create respect? Not so much. Add a club like Liverpool, and you can include factors like passion, history, pride, trophies, ambitions and honor. Then you can think about Markovic again. Is it ridiculous to expect such things from a Liverpool player? From someone who was hailed as one of "the next big things" in football? We shouldn't blame Markovic? Really? Thing is, we don't blame him for getting rich. Who wouldn't. But he is to blame for all those other things. And that is a very important difference... Because every single player who wears a Liverpool shirt, is expected to have the ambitions, qualities and personal attributes I mentioned above. That personal drive, if you will. And yes, we should also blame those who unfortunately brought Markovic to the club. But I think they already know it.

Do we understand Markovic choices? Yes, of course. Do we respect him? No, not at all. You get what you give. Including respect. And that is exactly why we blame him. Because this is Liverpool Football Club. At this beautiful family and professional organisation, there are values more important than money. Values that are built on, and creates, that tiny but so important one factor: Respect. That should be worth more than any lottery ticket. And I am sure the portuguese knows it, whether he puts in a tackle at the academy training ground, or passes fans on the streets of the city.

We are Liverpool. Markovic is not. So he will never have our respect. At least not mine.
Contracts work both ways, and while it’s annoying that Lazar has proved to be not worth the five year one we gave him, had he been Ronaldo II, that contract would have protected us from Real or Barca swooping in and taking him for free.

Imagine what Football would be if players could just lash in a months notice and walk. So while it’s annoying that a Markovic can just put his feet up for five years, it’s worth one of those every now and then.

Besides it is up to the club to do greater diligence on the mentality of signings. That seems to be normal now, but the summer we signed Lazar we also signed Balotelli, which should tell you what was going on at the club back then.

Markovic should go down as the worst signing in our history. £20m, when that was a decent amount. Did fuck all, and pocketed millions more in wage. Left on a free.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I hear he has spent a lot of it on imported recreational goods from South America.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I hear he has spent a lot of it on imported recreational goods from South America.
Is there really need for that hearsay? Strange how that always circulates about players we don't want and not Mo and Virg

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Surely if he did, and some pleb ( no offence) with no connections knows, the club would test him randomly and have grounds to dismiss him.

Pay for some help for him and get rid.

He wouldn’t be featuring even in the under 23s

I get how it’s frustrating, but not everyone can or does flourish in professional football.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Is there really need for that hearsay? Strange how that always circulates about players we don't want and not Mo and Virg
Furthermore, @epsomred, can you please remember that in posting here you are essentially broadcasting your opinion in a public space. If you wouldn’t say it on the radio please don’t say it here.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Furthermore, @epsomred, can you please remember that in posting here you are essentially broadcasting your opinion in a public space. If you wouldn’t say it on the radio please don’t say it here.
Oh he's talking about drugs, I thought he was on about anal dildos and butt plugs

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Ok point taken.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.

I don’t know markovic well enough to question his drive or ambition. Maybe all this time he has just been waiting for that one chance, or maybe he is just being greedy.

What I do know is he has never dragged our clubs name through the mud or truly disrespected us (see Diouf, Suarez and Istandje for a few examples), he has never been in trouble with the police as far as I am aware like a few of our recent players have and he has never missed training.
We have defended many worse characters than him.

GaryBarlow99

I don’t know markovic well enough to question his drive or ambition. Maybe all this time he has just been waiting for that one chance, or maybe he is just being greedy.

What I do know is he has never dragged our clubs name through the mud or truly disrespected us (see Diouf, Suarez and Istandje for a few examples), he has never been in trouble with the police as far as I am aware like a few of our recent players have and he has never missed training.
You are Lazar and I claim my £5

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I wish I was sitting on his contract. Doing nothing but keeping fit.

I just don’t get all this hatred for him. For me he is a bad signing. Because it didn’t work out mainly because he’s not good enough.
But balotelli was far worse. His attitude stank. He cost a fair bit more in wages as well. He couldn’t care less.
Lazar might just be staying for as long as he can because he knows he will never be at such an establishment again. Maybe he loves being part of it all. I don’t know.

But all this talk of him being worst signing ever is just ridiculous.

GaryBarlow99

I wish I was sitting on his contract. Doing nothing but keeping fit.

I just don’t get all this hatred for him. For me he is a bad signing. Because it didn’t work out mainly because he’s not good enough.
But balotelli was far worse. His attitude stank. He cost a fair bit more in wages as well. He couldn’t care less.
Lazar might just be staying for as long as he can because he knows he will never be at such an establishment again. Maybe he loves being part of it all. I don’t know.

But all this talk of him being worst signing ever is just ridiculous.
I don't hate the lad and I don't have an issue with players like Enrique running down their contracts. The main gripe I have with Markovic and I would imagine most others do is that he gave an interview last summer saying he just wanted to play football and we were pricing him out of a move. We then agreed a cut price deal with Anderlecht to let him get his career back on track and the move breaks down due to him not agreeing personal terms. He then tweets about it not being about money but doesn't say what the issue was. I think we can all assume it was wage related. And sorry mate but he is easily the worst signing we have made.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin

What I do know is he has never dragged our clubs name through the mud or truly disrespected us (see Diouf, Suarez and Itandje for a few examples), he has never been in trouble with the police as far as I am aware like a few of our recent players have and he has never missed training.
Suarez?!? :indifferent:

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I don't hate the lad and I don't have an issue with players like Enrique running down their contracts. The main gripe I have with Markovic and I would imagine most others do is that he gave an interview last summer saying he just wanted to play football and we were pricing him out of a move. We then agreed a cut price deal with Anderlecht to let him get his career back on track and the move breaks down due to him not agreeing personal terms. He then tweets about it not being about money but doesn't say what the issue was. I think we can all assume it was wage related. And sorry mate but he is easily the worst signing we have made.
I disagree.
We can assume all we want but only he knows.
And he is far from our worst signing.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Yes. And this is a player I loved. But the racism charge was horribly handled and Kenny was left to dry because of it, and the biting incident was shameful.
I found it a bit strange to see him listed alongside Diouf and Itandje to be honest...

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Yes. And this is a player I loved. But the racism charge was horribly handled and Kenny was left to dry because of it, and the biting incident was shameful.
The racism charge was horribly handled by Commoli and the club - and Suarez was utterly stitched up. (Zero arguments about the biting, though)

Foldy

Not even a Sunday league pub team would take Markovic on. I wonder if he was fat when he was a kid?

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
My brother in law used to be a taxi driver and had a championship footballer in his cab, cant remember who but hes well known. They got talking and the player said he hated football but it turns out hes ok at it so its a job. He said he cant wait to retire and loads of other footy players feel the same. I was shocked hearing that but since then i came to realise it is very likely that players like Markovic are happy not playing as long as the moneys still coming in, which it is for him.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
My brother in law used to be a taxi driver and had a championship footballer in his cab, cant remember who but hes well known. They got talking and the player said he hated football but it turns out hes ok at it so its a job. He said he cant wait to retire and loads of other footy players feel the same. I was shocked hearing that but since then i came to realise it is very likely that players like Markovic are happy not playing as long as the moneys still coming in, which it is for him.
I think it's down to ambition. Most people never really love their job until they are at the very top of the echelon. If you know where your limits are in your job, you will just make do and get out of it as soon as you can. That's just the way life is. I have never met a regular banker or stockbroker coming up to me telling me he is living his dream if he isn't the best in his job driving a Ferrari or any sort of those super cars, with a 50K rolex on his wrist and big house or condo. So it is a little harsh assuming Markovic is happy not playing, for all we know he's irritated with himself and don't know how to get out of this funk (yeah, sometimes when you hit a dip and not able to get yourself out of it, could happen).

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
I think it's down to ambition. Most people never really love their job until they are at the very top of the echelon. If you know where your limits are in your job, you will just make do and get out of it as soon as you can. That's just the way life is. I have never met a regular banker or stockbroker coming up to me telling me he is living his dream if he isn't the best in his job driving a Ferrari or any sort of those super cars, with a 50K rolex on his wrist and big house or condo. So it is a little harsh assuming Markovic is happy not playing, for all we know he's irritated with himself and don't know how to get out of this funk (yeah, sometimes when you hit a dip and not able to get yourself out of it, could happen).
Being a banker is a bit different from being a footy player though. To me it would be a privilege to be paid to play football but its not like that for every player it seems. Markovic undoubtedly came here to play but its been clear for years ges not making it here and he still hasnt moved. If he really wanted to play hed of gone

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Being a banker is a bit different from being a footy player though. To me it would be a privilege to be paid to play football but its not like that for every player it seems. Markovic undoubtedly came here to play but its been clear for years ges not making it here and he still hasnt moved. If he really wanted to play hed of gone
This is the difference between us and footballers. We have the passion because we can't do what they do. Those that are at their highest level loves it, people like Messi, Suarez and our boys, they would all love it because they are at the top of their industry. Much like a top banker, if you ever meet a top stockbroker or banker, I can tell you they can have that passion you spoke of about how a footballer should be. It's the same in all industry. Guess why the guy who took the cab your brother-law-drove is not a Premier League top dog? Lacking in ability and on top of that, don't have the drive.

He did leave though, on loan multiple times and it didn't work out for him. Like any other job, when you are at the best company/club and being paid handsomely, would you leave your job if you aren't getting promoted for a lower pay so that you can get noticed by your boss? You spoke like a fan, not a footballer. This is their job, like it or not. So it is quite unfair to Markovic to say he is happy not to play.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
My gut feeling is that they would hate the pressure, the game itself, would have changed for them from one they played as a kid having a laugh into one that is completely different.

I don’t think they’d hate the game, just the industry.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
This is the difference between us and footballers. We have the passion because we can't do what they do. Those that are at their highest level loves it, people like Messi, Suarez and our boys, they would all love it because they are at the top of their industry. Much like a top banker, if you ever meet a top stockbroker or banker, I can tell you they can have that passion you spoke of about how a footballer should be. It's the same in all industry. Guess why the guy who took the cab your brother-law-drove is not a Premier League top dog? Lacking in ability and on top of that, don't have the drive.

He did leave though, on loan multiple times and it didn't work out for him. Like any other job, when you are at the best company/club and being paid handsomely, would you leave your job if you aren't getting promoted for a lower pay so that you can get noticed by your boss? You spoke like a fan, not a footballer. This is their job, like it or not. So it is quite unfair to Markovic to say he is happy not to play.
I did point out in the post that players dont feel the same as fans in regards to football being a job, thats my point really.

I dont know what Id do in that situation, I love the game so Id hope that Id go for football reasons even for less money but I am sure Lazar will have had offers for less wages and turned them down.
Only guessing that part but if he made it clear in the past few yearsto the club and his agent that hed be happy on less wages in a lesser league Im sure we would of been able to shift him. He obviously is more happy not playing competitively than reducing his wages to play.

GTA_G20

FirminoFan
I’d run out my contract for the max I’ll ever see in my career and then go away on a free to a lower wage. Common sense. Not sure why people are taking it personal.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I’d run out my contract for the max I’ll ever see in my career and then go away on a free to a lower wage. Common sense. Not sure why people are taking it personal.
Let's run a bit of math on that common sense. Maybe he is on around £3/3.5 million per year now. Has a maximum of one year on that contract. Has now harmed his reputation badly and may not get any better wages elsewhere than £0.5 million per year. However he had the option to move somewhere for playing time at around £1 million per year, would have probably signed a 3 or 4 year deal. Would have sacrificed £2/2.5 million in his first year. If by common sense you are only looking at what you earn in year one then yes he has made the right choice. If you are looking at what's most likely to earn you more money over the course of your career then no it's not common sense. If he'd moved to Anderlecht and done at least ok then he probably would have landed a better move within a year or two. He's got a high profile and teams like Lyon, Fiorentina, Southampton and Seville would probably have decided he'd be worth a stab at after "turning his career around"! Nothing is guaranteed but I suspect he'll now never earn the kind of money that Anderlecht would have signed him to last year. And his career will go down the drain from here. Who would ever take a chance on him when he's never proven anything and there's so much talent out there.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
The guys milked us an thats that really. Not saying he intended to when he signed. He probably dreamed of making it big here.

Was thinking about your comparison to bankers @lfc.eddie and a big difference is a person in a normal career would get sacked if they under performed so badly.

[email protected]

Let's run a bit of math on that common sense. Maybe he is on around £3/3.5 million per year now. Has a maximum of one year on that contract. Has now harmed his reputation badly and may not get any better wages elsewhere than £0.5 million per year. However he had the option to move somewhere for playing time at around £1 million per year, would have probably signed a 3 or 4 year deal. Would have sacrificed £2/2.5 million in his first year. If by common sense you are only looking at what you earn in year one then yes he has made the right choice. If you are looking at what's most likely to earn you more money over the course of your career then no it's not common sense. If he'd moved to Anderlecht and done at least ok then he probably would have landed a better move within a year or two. He's got a high profile and teams like Lyon, Fiorentina, Southampton and Seville would probably have decided he'd be worth a stab at after "turning his career around"! Nothing is guaranteed but I suspect he'll now never earn the kind of money that Anderlecht would have signed him to last year. And his career will go down the drain from here. Who would ever take a chance on him when he's never proven anything and there's so much talent out there.
Then of course there is the risk of serious injury with a contract coming to an end. Lad will be up the creek without a paddle or any foreseeable clubs offering him a contract. He's taken a massive, and stupid, risk IMHO. If he's smart enough he won't be bereft for the long term financially, of course, but he's certainly put his future earning potential on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.