• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Lazar Marković (RW) to ANYONE. PLEASE, SOMEONE FUCKING TAKE HIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
Stupid move. Shipping him off to play in a league that isn't a high enough level for him to develop to come back here. I don't believe we are as deep at the Wide Forward/Attacking Midfield role as other here say - Ings and Origi are not the answers out there in my opinion. Lallana and Ibe have both flattered to deceive in the season thus far so I don't see how we benefit from this in any way. Perhaps if we were spending him to play in Germany or Spain for a year I'd see it differently but Turkey isn't exactly the league where stars are born.

It is so, so frustrating to take these young players from foreign countries, give them a year to stay here, and then ship them off again. No telling how much this can disrupt their development. Extremely short sighted of us to give up on him so quickly, especially with the second chances that have been doled out to other, more disappointing signings. He may not develop into a world beater, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have played a significant role for us if we had given him a change to play in his natural role and develop.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Utterly ridiculous this. Stupid. Who do we call on when natural season attrition whittles down the available players?

Oh I forgot. Of course. Throw on the untried kids. Silly me. It's the LFC way.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Sending players on loan gives them the opportunity to play games consistently, often with lower expectations to try and build some confidence and in turn form.....
OK. But you do that with one of your most expensive acquisitions, who BTW, had more experience playing in UEFA competitions than half of our first team? And he was playing for a team that was arguably better than our team....?

Makes absolutely no sense and I can't see this working out at all and if Brendan's still here when his loan is over, we'll likely hear "we tried but he wasn't working out in the PL". More ammunition for the argument that some of the TC signings are placed on temp or perm "Sabbaticals"

Redaido

TIA Youth Team
Rodgers had had a really good start to the season, but this poor decision by him. Markovic was one of the better new players last season when given a proper run in the team , far ahead of Ibe at the moment and a huge investment. Again Rodgers getting rid of a player who he has failed to get the most of instead of working on integrating him into the system. As for a season in Turkey what's that going to do for the Lad?? We would of been better off loaning him to another premiership team if we had plans to use him next year! Even if he returns he will have no more premiership experience and have to readjust to life in UK again.

the Bull

Don't Panic :P
I still don't think it's a right move for us, but I think it's a good move for his development. He wouldn't get much game time here. But if he wants to avoid the kiss-of-death that so many loaned out players have received from us, all he has to do is have a good season and score goals. Catch Rodgers's eye. The guy gives 2nd chances. Lovren is on like his 4th. The common denominator with all those young players shipped off after loans is that they didn't really impress when they were on them, and they really haven't impressed since they left, either. He still has some control over his fate.

He Drinks Sangria

Good move in my book. A loan to a lower PL club (if there were any that wanted him) would have been better for his development but moving him to a club that's in the Europa League and is one of the best in the Turkish league is a lot better for putting him in the shop window (and still better for his development than staying here).

This guy was a poor purchase from the word go, but if he does well in Turkey someone else might offer us a big fee for him next summer.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
I'm very disappointed by this. Markovic had *already* found his confidence getting regular games for a top 2 team in an otherwise mediocre league. He came to LFC on the back of that. Sending him to Fenerbahce is basically the same as sending him back to Benfica (heck, Fener even has a Portuguese manager).

I'm curious what his life off the pitch has been like. I remember the press conference with Milan Jovanovic where he basically said he was the only Serbian in the entire city of Liverpool and he felt sad. Meaningless excuse, perhaps, but it's not easy for (attacking) players from that part of the world. I recall seeing Markovic hanging out with Stefan Jovetic and wondered if the guy had to drive to Manchester to find a friend.

I guess I just remain highly cynical about how much effort English clubs put into helping foreign players settle. This all seems a bit too predictable.

On the flip side, though I also wanted to see Markovic be our #10 in a Europa campaign, it must be said that he was shocking for us in Europe last season. Then again, most players were.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

I guess I just remain highly cynical about how much effort English clubs put into helping foreign players settle. This all seems a bit too predictable.

On the flip side, though I also wanted to see Markovic be our #10 in a Europa campaign, it must be said that he was shocking for us in Europe last season. Then again, most players were.
Yeah, the integration aspect is often underrated when discussing a player.

But what you write here raises another point. Coutinho won't be able to play the nr. 10 role for every match. Markovic was an obvious back-up, and a starter for EL matches against weaker sides, or the early cup games. So, who comes in for him? Teixeira?

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Looked out of his depth for the most part with some glimpses of what he may be capable of last season...
We can't afford to wait another 15 games hoping for him to click while we carry a player this season..
Players like Gomez, Clyne and Benteke have hit the ground running and that's what we need this season..
A year more experience playing week in week out will develop him as a player and build up his confidence...

Reactions: ptt

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Reminds of the bit in 'goodfellas' when deniro goes troppo and bodies just turn up everywhere.

'When Paulie turned up in a meat truck they hadda let him thaw out for three days'

He's whacking em one by one.

the Bull

Don't Panic :P
Yeah, the integration aspect is often underrated when discussing a player.

But what you write here raises another point. Coutinho won't be able to play the nr. 10 role for every match. Markovic was an obvious back-up, and a starter for EL matches against weaker sides, or the early cup games. So, who comes in for him? Teixeira?
Lallana, Firmino, Hendo, Teixeira. I'm sure Rodgers has Lallana as 2nd choice #10. Firmino should be in front of him and will be in the future. I'm hoping Lallana for cup games. Otherwise were are a little bare for the cup squads.

teto_pp

Well he is gone for good, no chance of him coming back next season and getting play time. If Lovren is getting another chance and s currently starting then Markovic should be given the same treatment. Too bad we never saw him play at his prefered role, I hope him the best.

He Drinks Sangria

Well he is gone for good, no chance of him coming back next season and getting play time. If Lovren is getting another chance and s currently starting then Markovic should be given the same treatment. Too bad we never saw him play at his prefered role, I hope him the best.
I hope you're right.

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
That's it for me. We've bought obvious talent, not played him in his position and pissed that talent up against the wall by sending him off. For now that's how it looks. But I'm optimistic he'll return because Lallana can't get any better.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I understand the loan process mate, no need to explain it. What I'm asking is for an example of where a player has been loaned (to a foreign club in particular) and come back to Liverpool and regained a place in the side?
I can see how it puts a player in the shop window but I cannot think of a player who has gone on loan, really up his game, and then been sold by Liverpool the following Summer either.
Andy Carroll is about the only example of where the loan to buy option was followed through.......again that was an English club but do people really think Milan will suddenly pay a big fee for Mario nest summer. Remember the Aquilaini loan to buy deals.
If you understand the loan process then why would you be calling the club stupid for using it. It's in the best interest of the club to have non performing players playing games, even if it it elsewhere so that hopefully they improve and can become more of a factor for us if and when they return or improve their value enough so we can recoup some of our cost when we sell them. Either way it's the best possible outcome for the club so it seems like a pretty smart thing to do to me. An argument can be made for not spending the 20 mil in the first place but that is a separate issue.

As far as examples go I can't think of one, Andy Carroll is probably the only loan deal that has resulted in us netting a decent value for a player but end of the day we are better off continuing to use the loan market and hope to see improvement in value or form than leaving players to stagnate on our bench before they leave for nothing at all. At least a loan gives some hope for the player.

Yes Borini and Markovic were bought with the expectation of performing well for the club but so were Lovren and Lallana and they were underwhelming as well, in fact at least Markovic and Borini have the excuse of being young, Lallana and Lovren are smack bang in the middle of their footballing primes. Why aren't they getting farmed out? Double standards methinks.
Maybe Brendan thinks Lallana and Lovren are performing well, maybe they do more in training, who knows there is a lot going on behind closed doors we don't see. Different managers rate different players, it's not double standards, we see only 90 mins a week where as the manager is with the players all day every day. Good example is Juan Mata, was one of the top players in the league but Mourinho didn't have him in his best 11 and he was sold to United. It depends on how the manager wants to play and what he values from his players as to how players fit on the pecking order. Always has been that way too, this isn't something that is new or exclusive to Brendan.

teto_pp

I hope you're right.
For 20m I had hoped we would atleast give him a few starts in the europa and give him a proper chance. It gives impresion to other young players that if you don't hit the ground running we will give you very little chance to succed and discard you without giving you a proper chance. I see the same fate for Origi after about 10 appearances....

That's it for me. We've bought obvious talent, not played him in his position and pissed that talent up against the wall by sending him off. For now that's how it looks. But I'm optimistic he'll return because Lallana can't get any better.
It's weird since Ibe has showned he is not ready yet and Lallana is made of glass. That leaves us with Origi, Ings and Texeira who are just as young and not one of them have europa experience wish we could use, plus playing Ings as something else of a striker or second striker is pointless he is not going to work that way.

darkvoid

Tiocfaidh ár lá
Not strictly true. Markovic and Mario remain club assets they are loaned out. Normally for a loan fee too.

Lambert was nearly a break even deal so no harm done.

As for the other two -- I agree with you
Getting no loan fee for balotelli and are actually subsidising his wages even though He's taking a pay cut which makes you wounder how much Milan are paying him
and tbh I haven't heard anything about a loan fee for Markovic either

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Getting no loan fee for balotelli and are actually subsidising his wages even though He's taking a pay cut which makes you wounder how much Milan are paying him
and tbh I haven't heard anything about a loan fee for Markovic either
Nevertheless the remain assets of the club.

Loan fees are not normally disclosed.

Gazmaninaus

Not sure what everyone see's in Markovic, haven't seen a single game he played, where he actually looked like he wanted to be there. Even in the pre-season games, he just looked like a youth prospect on tour, nothing more, so I'd be shipping him off to Watford, or someone down the bottom, to put in some shifts.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
If you understand the loan process then why would you be calling the club stupid for using it. It's in the best interest of the club to have non performing players playing games, even if it it elsewhere so that hopefully they improve and can become more of a factor for us if and when they return or improve their value enough so we can recoup some of our cost when we sell them. Either way it's the best possible outcome for the club so it seems like a pretty smart thing to do to me. An argument can be made for not spending the 20 mil in the first place but that is a separate issue.

As far as examples go I can't think of one, Andy Carroll is probably the only loan deal that has resulted in us netting a decent value for a player but end of the day we are better off continuing to use the loan market and hope to see improvement in value or form than leaving players to stagnate on our bench before they leave for nothing at all. At least a loan gives some hope for the player.

Maybe Brendan thinks Lallana and Lovren are performing well, maybe they do more in training, who knows there is a lot going on behind closed doors we don't see. Different managers rate different players, it's not double standards, we see only 90 mins a week where as the manager is with the players all day every day. Good example is Juan Mata, was one of the top players in the league but Mourinho didn't have him in his best 11 and he was sold to United. It depends on how the manager wants to play and what he values from his players as to how players fit on the pecking order. Always has been that way too, this isn't something that is new or exclusive to Brendan.
Actually you have missed the point of what I said. I didnt call the club stupid for using the loan process at all. What I said is that the process rarely works and that I couldn't think of one player who had a loan to a foreign club and come back into the side afterwards.
What I did say was that spending 20M on a player that ends up on loan having contributed almost nothing to the club seemed a stupid move to me. Big difference.
Also just to make something clearer I could understand something, like the loan system, and still think it was stupid. Again if you read what I said it was that the loaning of English players within the English league tended to be more successful and gave the examples of Ibe and Carroll. Somebody else offered Martin Kelly as another example of a loan that had the desired effect on the player.
Off the top of my head I can think of Suso, Pacheco, Aspas, Borini, and Aquilaini who have had loans to other leagues which made little or no difference to the players development really. Maybe Borinis Sunderland loan was a success in that it resulted in a decent fee being offered to the club but again that was an English loan anyway. Loans to foreign clubs dont seem to work or at least nobody has given an example of one that has as of yet.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Everything about this move was odd. First spending £20 million on him didn't make sense. Second, did we even need him? Third if we did need him then BR didn't seem to know what to do with him once he'd got him. I thought he did well early in the season. When he came on against City I thought he looked a player, good pace, very direct. I thought his best performance (or cameo) was against Basel the night he got sent off. He really energised us then. Looked like a man on a mission and was fired up (maybe a bit too much). At wing-back he was gradually exposed though because he couldn't defend. The loan is good for him because he'll get games, but it does feel like the beginning of the end for him at LFC.

Magic Feet

Really don't want this to go ahead. He's got such upside and he's still so young that he could genuinely click in one or two games like Sterling did and jump up a level or two. Could really be a mid season revelation.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
If he isn't in Rodgers' plans (a debatable decision by itself) then it's only logical to loan him out. What is questionable is the destination.

First of all it isn't certain that Markovic will play regularly at Fener. They are a powerhouse in their league, and there is nothing to suggest that Markovic would automatically become a starter for them.

Secondly the Turkish league doesn't have much in common with the Premier League. If the point is to have him play regularly then surely that should be happening in a strong and competitive league?

Were there no other takers for Markovic? It's seems improbable that no other club from the Premiership was interested; Bundesliga too would have been a much better place for him than Turkey.

In any case hopefully he'll defy the odds and come back stronger.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
For a non oligarch-owned club, we really have cornered the market in p*ssing serious amounts of transfer cash up the wall.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
For a non oligarch-owned club, we really have cornered the market in p*ssing serious amounts of transfer cash up the wall.
Last summers spending must surely rank as our worst ever in terms of outlay for quality. This summer seems better thank God.
Why did we buy Markovic AND Lallana in the first place when we badly needed a front player?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Talksport apparently saying Watford are trying to bring him in on loan. Might be preferable to Fenerbahce.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
He stays in the PL then it might look like we are serious about developing him

He goes to turkey and it smells like parking someone we don't really want somewhere

Don't think he's a mile off say Ibe for impact/ability and thought while we didn't see lots last year, he showed enough that he was a competent player, if one that I think may well have been signed without Rodgers knowing the first thing about him (not an unusual occurrence let's be honest)

But I think the home growners in borderline slots will always be prioritised. Partly due to the regs, partly because we have a domestic manager. Thing is I think Ibe and Lallana may struggle this year, no sterling any more, will put a lot of onus on firminho and Coutinho and there are plenty of games in Europe etc. know we don't do an awful lot of rotating but although wouldn't say he was an essential right now, we may find ourselves a bit thin in a month or two

Limiescouse

Off the top of my head I can think of Suso, Pacheco, Aspas, Borini, and Aquilaini who have had loans to other leagues which made little or no difference to the players development really.
And do you think that is because the player wasn't good enough or because the loan system failed them? Do you think being so far from consideration that they don't even make the Liverpool match day squad for the year (or more) would have better helped them make it at Liverpool?

MarcusBerglund

Talksport apparently saying Watford are trying to bring him in on loan. Might be preferable to Fenerbahce.
''Echo'' wrote that he will be presented as Fenerbahce player this weekend, in my opinion - not a chance for Watford. I think that this choice is purely for financial reasons. The turks will cover his wages/50 000 per week and that's too much for the hornets/ and they will pay a loan fee. It will be interesting to know the exact numbers/2-2,5 mln. pounds will be my guess/.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Forgot about him Mate, injury was a factor but he didn't really make it here either.
Again small (ish) fees on several young players is maybe a way to find a real asset who can make a big difference to the quality of the squad or be sold at a profit (Sterling comes to mind) but buying players like Markovic and Borini for over 30M and loaning both seems like a stupid move to me.
I cannot think of an example of one player (young or otherwise) who we have loaned to foreign club who has come back stronger and made the grade here. Maybe there are examples but I cannot think of anyone.
Cant think of too many we have loaned out to British teams that have come back and made much impact either. Doesnt mean it cant happen. fwiw i think Markovic is probably better than most if not all of those that we have loaned out for development purposes so not a straight comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.