Lazar Marković (RW) to anyone

macca1970

It’s quite obvious now it’s all about the money. Like others have said, Lazar probably knows that he’s not good enough and he’ll never have a better contract than he has now.

Why hasn’t he gone on loan? I suspect that we have refused to subsidise any wages for loan deals, so that if someone wants him on loan, they’ll have to pay all his wages (plus a small fee). In other words, I think the hand we are playing is to push Lazar to get a permanent move, or else spend another year in the wilderness. Lazar has chosen the latter.

Lazar probably knows deep down that sitting on his arse for a year and picking up money will set him up with regards to finances, and then he’ll end up in some low level league abroad, earning about a 200k euros per year.

Final thoughts, no one made us give him this contract, so as long as he fulfils his duties, he is entitled to stick to the contract. He has made his own choice of career suicide.

Anfield rd Dreamer

How are you doing your numbers, The 2.9m would have gone to the club not the player this summer? I think he would be on £30-40k a week here at least half as basic wage perhaps more given how keen we were to get him from Chelsea's clutches. Perhaps there is other money payable from seeing out his contract (loyalty bonus?).

Its hard to believe that in one years time there wouldnt be at least 2 clubs willing to sign him as he is out of contract.
The idea I think a lot are kind of hinting at is by waiting a year he gets all the money instead. I don't think that's what would happen. I think he'll be less popular than this summer. With therefore less total money than was going to be used this summer.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The idea I think a lot are kind of hinting at is by waiting a year he gets all the money instead. I don't think that's what would happen. I think he'll be less popular than this summer. With therefore less total money than was going to be used this summer.
Even if he leaves on a free to somewhere with no signing bonus, I think he is still better off getting paid more at LFC over the next eight months in total than he would over 3 years at Anderlecht. Any earnings at all next season and the one after simply increase that margin - heck, maybe even Anderlecht will want him for free in a year instead of for 3.3M Euros now, and offer him the same deal.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Even if he leaves on a free to somewhere with no signing bonus, I think he is still better off getting paid more at LFC over the next eight months in total than he would over 3 years at Anderlecht. Any earnings at all next season and the one after simply increase that margin - heck, maybe even Anderlecht will want him for free in a year instead of for 3.3M Euros now, and offer him the same deal.
You're still assuming that there will be as much interest in him in a year as there is now. After being left to rot for a year and the decision he's made I really don't see how he becomes more desirable or even stays as desirable. You also assume he'd stay there the length of the 3 year deal. If he'd moved and done ok, due to already being a known commodity there would have been a real good chance of a Newcastle, Sevilla or someone coming in and signing him a year or two after the move. All he basically had to do was move, play and not stink the place up as there was enough uncertainty as to why things didn't work out here. Then he'd be back onto the kind of long term deal he had here. It's not an unlikely turn of events. Now these events all but confirm things aren't quite right with the player. He may struggle to get a deal as good as the one he's just rejected and even if he does he may need to seriously impress now (instead of just not stinking) to get a follow on move. Just think he's shot his career in the foot for a million now that may cost him the several million he could have earned over the next 5 years. Sometimes you need to do the right things from a sporting point of view and the rewards will follow later. Trying to remain stable where you are financially but not concentrating on the sporting foundation those finances are built on just seems like building a house on quicksand because the land is cheaper. Just my opinion.

@Anfield rd Dreamer I think if he was even worth that punt a load of PL and Championship sides would have been in for him already. Even in less physical leagues there is minimal interest at £3m!!

Maybe the penny will finally drop but he's stood still or got worse for four years and missed a big developmental phase in his career.

Totally agree that it is our responsibility as we gave him the contract and he's doing nothing wrong but its embarrassing for everyone. Bad precedent but should just pay him to leave, best for everyone.

redfanman

TIA Regular
It’s quite obvious now it’s all about the money. Like others have said, Lazar probably knows that he’s not good enough and he’ll never have a better contract than he has now.

Why hasn’t he gone on loan? I suspect that we have refused to subsidise any wages for loan deals, so that if someone wants him on loan, they’ll have to pay all his wages (plus a small fee). In other words, I think the hand we are playing is to push Lazar to get a permanent move, or else spend another year in the wilderness. Lazar has chosen the latter.

Lazar probably knows deep down that sitting on his arse for a year and picking up money will set him up with regards to finances, and then he’ll end up in some low level league abroad, earning about a 200k euros per year.

Final thoughts, no one made us give him this contract, so as long as he fulfils his duties, he is entitled to stick to the contract. He has made his own choice of career suicide.
He hasn't gone on loan because his contract ends next summer and club wanted to sell (little difference to the club financially either way though)

redfanman

TIA Regular
@Anfield rd Dreamer I think if he was even worth that punt a load of PL and Championship sides would have been in for him already. Even in less physical leagues there is minimal interest at £3m!!

Maybe the penny will finally drop but he's stood still or got worse for four years and missed a big developmental phase in his career.

Totally agree that it is our responsibility as we gave him the contract and he's doing nothing wrong but its embarrassing for everyone. Bad precedent but should just pay him to leave, best for everyone.
I don't think he has got worse and even if he has stood still he is still better than a lot of other players out there.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing

I was with you until the last sentence. Paying him to leave is in my opinion, sending out all the wrong messages.

We must be seen to honour contracts no matter what. That way other contracts will have added value, should we get another Coutinho problem.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I would suspect that Anderlecht will be picking him up on a free come July, Lazar may take a pay cut but the signing bonus from Anderlecht at even 50% of what his transfer fee would be would likely offset that deficit

35k a week is above the average wage in every league other than the Premier League.
Sure, but he's an above average player according to @redfanman and those wages aren't so bad in the context of a £3m fee. Why no promoted clubs interested if hes half decent?

I wouldn't be surprised if we'd subsidise the wages to get rid, although maybe those days are behind us now and we are playing hard ball more. @OLDIE maybe you're right about not paying him off as long as he doesn't train anywhere near Melwood, the guys a distraction and surely won't get a game.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Sure, but he's an above average player according to @redfanman and those wages aren't so bad in the context of a £3m fee. Why no promoted clubs interested if hes half decent?

I wouldn't be surprised if we'd subsidise the wages to get rid, although maybe those days are behind us now and we are playing hard ball more. @OLDIE maybe you're right about not paying him off as long as he doesn't train anywhere near Melwood, the guys a distraction and surely won't get a game.
No i didnt. I said he was better than a lot of other players out there. I didnt say he was better than the average player.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
No i didnt. I said he was better than a lot of other players out there. I didnt say he was better than the average player.
The fact he is even signed for LFC would be a fairly good indication is better than average

Not his fault that he hasn’t lit the world afire here, considering he was loaned out consistently. We did the same thing to a number of players purchased with the Suarez money and it took some of them to get out of Melwood to be successful. Alberto and Suso to name a few

Lazar could very likely still be a decent footballer and have a successful career... elsewhere tho

Noo Noo

I just think its sad that for whatever reason he has lost the opportunity to play.

Now if that's as intended i.e. he simply doesn't enjoy it anymore then fair enough, but if not and he still enjoys the game and wants to continue playing then that's extremely sad that he's unable to continue that. Careers are short and losing exposure will ultimately not do him any favours at all. He has a larger rebuild to do come the day when he does move on.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I just think its sad that for whatever reason he has lost the opportunity to play.

Now if that's as intended i.e. he simply doesn't enjoy it anymore then fair enough, but if not and he still enjoys the game and wants to continue playing then that's extremely sad that he's unable to continue that. Careers are short and losing exposure will ultimately not do him any favours at all. He has a larger rebuild to do come the day when he does move on.
Well if you're making £1.7m a year for the past 5 years, with prudent spending, I am quite sure he be alright sitting out for one year and then go to a lower league that might pay him half that per annum for the next 10 years. Some people live on less than 10% of that. He chose not to go because they can't match his wage request, so it is hard to feel bad for someone who thins £1.7m isn't enough, and not willing to sacrifice to make himself better.

Noo Noo

Well if you're making £1.7m a year for the past 5 years, with prudent spending, I am quite sure he be alright sitting out for one year and then go to a lower league that might pay him half that per annum for the next 10 years. Some people live on less than 10% of that. He chose not to go because they can't match his wage request, so it is hard to feel bad for someone who thins £1.7m isn't enough, and not willing to sacrifice to make himself better.
Markovic said it wasn't about the money. Anderlecht on the other hand says it was. Who do you believe??

Lots of presumptions as to what Markovic is like on this thread.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Markovic said it wasn't about the money. Anderlecht on the other hand says it was. Who do you believe??

He’s not been playing regular football for us, he is not likely to feature a single meaningful minute for us this season, if it was about football he would have gone. It is most definitely about money.

GaryBarlow99

Anderlecht all day. Unless he states the actual reason instead of simply saying it wasn't about money then it will always be about the money.

Mountain Man

Anderlecht. Because it's logical reasoning.

I don't blame him 1 bit for not taking a loan move, his Liverpool contract is his big pay that ultimately sets him up for life. Teams like Anderlecht will still be there next season, and he'll get signed up and probably bounce around Europe's 2nd tier leagues for a decade

Noo Noo

Anderlecht. Because it's logical reasoning.

I don't blame him 1 bit for not taking a loan move, his Liverpool contract is his big pay that ultimately sets him up for life. Teams like Anderlecht will still be there next season, and he'll get signed up and probably bounce around Europe's 2nd tier leagues for a decade
All possible but I just don't think we know everything here. There's more to this from his whole transfer to the club and everything that has happened subsequently.

Noo Noo

If there is, why isn't anyone reporting anything? There might be more to the story, but someone needs to actually explain what that might be?
It could be something personal. There's talent there but I'm reluctant to go diving in a slate someone for poor attitude or money grabbing without knowing all the facts.

Remember Steven Caulker?
the club is far more of a closed shop these days (rightly so)

FilthyBloke

I don’t blame him. He’s on good money. Why would he give it up?
It’s happened in the past. Diouf I seem to recall, and a lot more than him.

We can’t offer someone a 5 year, 100k a week deal then after 6 months (and realising he’s crap) wondering why he isn’t accepting a transfer to a smaller team on 2k a week.

Raw deal for us. We just move on.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Liverpool aren't the first club to get burned in the transfer market. Just need to move on.
I wouldn’t be surprised if hits like this are integrated in the financials.

If it is money, you can’t blame Lazar. The difference between him sitting on his arse here and going somewhere like Anderlecht will be millions. It’s all good and well to criticise his attitude and suggest that playing footy should be more important, but seeing out his LFC contract probably sets up his family for life. He’ll leave next year financially set, and still be young enough to resume his career at a decent level.

For LFC the lesson should be to keep upping the level of diligence in the market. As soon as I saw the look on his face when he first got tackled I thought he’d struggle here. We’ve got so much better since then.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I wouldn’t be surprised if hits like this are integrated in the financials.

If it is money, you can’t blame Lazar. The difference between him sitting on his arse here and going somewhere like Anderlecht will be millions. It’s all good and well to criticise his attitude and suggest that playing footy should be more important, but seeing out his LFC contract probably sets up his family for life. He’ll leave next year financially set, and still be young enough to resume his career at a decent level.

For LFC the lesson should be to keep upping the level of diligence in the market. As soon as I saw the look on his face when he first got tackled I thought he’d struggle here. We’ve got so much better since then.

That's a given. Every Club or a business has a P&L ledger that they need to look at.

Not blaming Lazar. Ideally, Liverpool should have handled him better and given him some playing time so that an alternate club gets a good sighter at him and takes the risk.