• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

LFC: One year from today

InFrontOfTheKop

As fans, our duty now with this club is accept that we aren't as good now as we will be in a few years, and that is due in large part to the appointment of our new manager. Rodgers has come in with a completely new set of ideas, but it is clear that the club's commitment to him is of the long-term nature and was made with the understanding that it would take time for the club to rebuild. Rodgers is also making it perfectly clear in his comments to the press that the only way LFC can re-assume its position among the league's top tier is to be bringing quality players into the squad.

There has been speculation that the owners will be willing to spend this January, but BR has also come out and said that there is no telling what will happen. Regardless of what happens in January, everyone involved in the club will want to see it invest heavily this upcoming summer, especially if we aren't able to bring anyone this time around.

The question is this: What is the starting XI that you hope to see Liverpool field this time next season? Who's coming in? Who gets shipped out?

ptt

2020, head of the table.
This thread could run quite nicely but isn't it already covered in who should we sign, signing players who haven't worked elsewhere and the unreliable transfers thread? Maybe re-word the intro as to what changes we all hope to see, not necessarily in the playing staff? What we hope the owners will do, how we hope the stadium will develop, how we hope the team will progress etc?

Would be good to have a thread full of hope :)

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
My first team

Reina
Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique
Leiva
Suarez Allen Sterling
(Gerrard / Sahin)
Huntelaar

... we're not far off but of course the real trick is to have players who can swap in for everyone. We are nowhere near having a Huntelaar plus 1-2 substitutes for him or someone like him.

callanlfc

As fans, our duty now with this club is accept that we aren't as good now as we will be in a few years, and that is due in large part to the appointment of our new manager. Rodgers has come in with a completely new set of ideas, but it is clear that the club's commitment to him is of the long-term nature and was made with the understanding that it would take time for the club to rebuild. Rodgers is also making it perfectly clear in his comments to the press that the only way LFC can re-assume its position among the league's top tier is to be bringing quality players into the squad.

There has been speculation that the owners will be willing to spend this January, but BR has also come out and said that there is no telling what will happen. Regardless of what happens in January, everyone involved in the club will want to see it invest heavily this upcoming summer, especially if we aren't able to bring anyone this time around.

The question is this: What is the starting XI that you hope to see Liverpool field this time next season? Who's coming in? Who gets shipped out?
Why should we accept not being good now? Accepting that you are rubbish has never got anyone anywhere apart from mid-table mediocrity. We should be striving for the best every single day, we can acknowledge that we aren't very good at the moment but there's no way we should be accepting that we are no good! The same goes for the players, the manager and the owners. I can acknowledge that some of our players are pants but no way will I accept them giving anything less than busting a gut for this club every single day and every single game! The same goes for the manager and the same goes for the owner. Acknowledge that we aren't very good at the moment but in no way accept it! Because once we accept it then it will be an even longer road back to the top, we need to demand the best efforts from everyone at the club constantly! This is why sometimes I feel some people see my posts as negative, I'm not deliberately being negative I just want this club to be trying it's hardest every day for us supporters whilst not accepting second best!

In regards to the question I think it's fairly obvious who needs to go, the likes of Cole, Downing, Doni(£50,000 a week!), Carragher(only if it's retirement) and Carroll. As for who comes in that's a much tougher question in regards to personnel but positions I think we need to buy for are most importantly a striker! Then a winger, then cover for Lucas preferably someone good enough to not just cover but to play regularly in the starting line up, then finally a left back.

Lucas

Let's try keep this thread on track too, we have enough other topics to discuss the same old debates.

My team would be:

Reina/Jones
Johnson/Kelly - Skrtel/Wisdom/New CB - Agger/Coates - Enrique/New LB
Lucas/New DM - Allen/Sahin
Shelvey/Gerrard/Suso
New RW/Sterling - New ST/Borini - Suarez/New IF

And as a first team:

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Why should we accept not being good now? Accepting that you are rubbish has never got anyone anywhere apart from mid-table mediocrity. We should be striving for the best every single day, we can acknowledge that we aren't very good at the moment but there's no way we should be accepting that we are no good! The same goes for the players, the manager and the owners. I can acknowledge that some of our players are pants but no way will I accept them giving anything less than busting a gut for this club every single day and every single game! The same goes for the manager and the same goes for the owner. Acknowledge that we aren't very good at the moment but in no way accept it! Because once we accept it then it will be an even longer road back to the top, we need to demand the best efforts from everyone at the club constantly! This is why sometimes I feel some people see my posts as negative, I'm not deliberately being negative I just want this club to be trying it's hardest every day for us supporters whilst not accepting second best!

In regards to the question I think it's fairly obvious who needs to go, the likes of Cole, Downing, Doni(£50,000 a week!), Carragher(only if it's retirement) and Carroll. As for who comes in that's a much tougher question in regards to personnel but positions I think we need to buy for are most importantly a striker! Then a winger, then cover for Lucas preferably someone good enough to not just cover but to play regularly in the starting line up, then finally a left back.
Accepting there is a problem is the first step towards it's solution

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
In one year I want major player investment in the team made (no more duds please) and work done or plans drawn up or something on the ground restructure. That's what I'd like anyway.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
A year from now I want to see Werner taking a back seat role with a new chairman brought in above Ayre to run the day to day operations of the club.

I want to see the deals and council work at a stage that the Anfield redevelopment has a confirmed go ahead and a start date with big show an tell presentation on what it will look like ready for preconstruction work to start spring 2014 for phase one to be completed during summer 2014.

On the pitch I want us to have a fresh faced youthful exciting squad that can see us through the next 5-10 years and be playing free flowing exciting football.

And most of all I want the fan base united seeing a positive future ahead of us, giving Rodgers unwavering support, accepting FSG are going to run us smartly but believing that won't stop us becoming succesful again and to stop all the bickering and in fighting.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I don't know who will come in, but I can't see Reina and Suarez at LFC one year from today ...

D.hughes

TIA Youth Team
@ mac_red , so your saying both reina and suarez will leave in the summer? Cool!

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
@ mac_red , so your saying both reina and suarez will leave in the summer? Cool!
If we don't show ambition and progress soon, they will be targeted by the top European clubs in the summer ... In all honesty, they are both too good for a bottom-half-of-the-table club ...

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
Yeap. If we don't do well this season (EL progress, top 6 in the PL) in addition to Luis and Pepe, I see Martin and Raheem getting traded to raise a good amount of cash.

duuuaaaane

I want to us to be a club people want to come to, not a club people want to leave.

Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Torres.

They are 3 players who left because we weren't the Liverpool we need to be.

We don't want Suarez, Sterling, Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Lucas to be added to that list.