Life before my LFC allegiance

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Jimmyscase, May 22, 2017.

1. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

I'm not interested mate as i'm taken and in a happy relationship so stop flirting,i don't wear skirts not that there is anything wrong with that.;-)

2. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Got interested in English football at 15,my mate dragged me to a game at Anfield while we were in Liverpool,we wound up standing on the Kop,the atmosphere was amazing,old div 2 game v Grimsby Town,but electric.
    The atmosphere got me in completely,never thought about another team since,that is over 60 years ago.

3. indianscouser

indianscouser Oh ya Beautttty!!

You can see Champions league behind in the image
    A bit late i was, but when i watched the 05 finals in 06, i literally cried.
    I just wish i was a fan at that time though!
    Later on, lots of heartaches at Athens, and more recently last year with Seville.

Alright Now and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  4. richieh10

richieh10 Well-Known Member

I'll wade in!

I'm from South Wales and had no idea about professional football when I was a youngster. Football for me was just a game we played on the school yard.

It was 1993 and I was 6 or 7 and playing football in our school yard when I notice one of my mates had on a black top with 'sharp viewcam' written across the front.

It soon became apparent that it was a football shirt and that's where I learnt all about this fantastic invention called the Premier League.

That day when my dad picked me up I told him about the black football top with sharp viewcam written on the front and how I really really wanted one.

He took me straight to the sports shop in our local market and bought me a full LFC strip!!

He was a Liverpool fan but more of a casual fan than anything. His affection for Liverpool grew as he would have to trek from South Wales to Liverpool to catch a ferry to Ireland where his children from a previous marriage lived.

The rest as they say is history and I'll be forever greatful to my dad for getting me that beautiful red strip and not like I mention or requested anything with sharp written across the front of it......

Jase, Alright Now and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  5. richieh10

richieh10 Well-Known Member

Oh and I registered my little boy as a member the day he was born so he will quite literally be a Liverpool fan all of his life!!!

It's a honour to be able to pass on my love for the reds and our club as my dad did to me... I will do to my children!

6. Red Skip

Red Skip Red Skip

My interest in LFC started from watching football on a Black and White TV in the early 1970's. I loved watching Steve Heighway speeding down the wing and Big Tosh and Keegan scoring the goals It was also there never-say-die attitude and deep will to win that made me become attracted to the Anfield Reds.
    Then in the 1974 FA Cup Final Heighway scored to help us won the FA Cup and I was over the moon that my favourite player had scored one of the goals, from that day I have been a supporter and will be forever.
    Been through many glorious times and indeed sad and disappointing times, no matter what I will be a LFC fan/supporter still my last breath and beyond. YNWA

7. Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member Valued Member

Used to support Holland Sport in my town of The Hague until in 1971 the council decided that there was only room for one team (ADO), so I was without a team. About 25 years ago a friend took me to Anfield, rest is history.:celebrating:

8. LFCFFC

LFCFFC Active Member

Life before LFC?

There was nothing, only darkness.

9. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

Let me guess: lfc.eddie was your teacher

I grew up in Bombay playing tennis and cricket, worshipping Johnny Mac, Gavaskar, and somehow Gower. Moved to Kuwait for high-school where football consumes all. Every weekend a show called Big League Soccer would come on TV and I'd watch the King, Hansen, and Rush run over pretenders. Since then, I've been in love. I have some of the best memories from those days: sitting with my parents in our living room and watching that show. In fact, when I met the team at Stanford last year, that family memory was roaring in my brain.

Came to the States for college and met my Scottish best man, who also turned out to be a fellow Red and is to this day (during games, I spend my time typing here and texting him in Houston). Our 50th birthdays are a week apart later this year. We're hoping to make the pilgrimage for the first time and meet many of you.

Anyway, such is love. Cool thread, jimmyscase.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  10. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

.As a child I was a fan of 1860 Munich, where Ayre is now. When I was 18 I went due to my profession to Frankfurt for 8 years. So I went into the Waldstadion and became Frankfurt fan(thus my nickname). During this time I watched LFC closer because every Bundesliga champion in the seventies or eighties who went to Liverpool had no chance at Anfield. I tried to grasp the myth of LFC. My key experience was the CL-final in 2005.
    Of course I watch Bundelsiga football, but I'm very relaxed while watching.
    Now the only time I'm getting nervous and excited watching club football is when Liverpool plays.

11. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

My father was a bit of an Anglophile and went to the North of England for a while when he was young (we have distant relatives there) and somehow got infected - even though being a German in England admittedly wasn't always fun in those days (for understandable reasons).
    Although he was active in sports and even worked in that field, he wasn't a footballer, so had no allegiances to any German club, which probably helped.
    He also used to be involved with the, sadly almost forgotten/neglected twin city activities between Liverpool and Cologne back in the day.
    So I've got him to blame, really. And my somewhat rocky personal relationship with the home town club (don't ask).

12. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Judging by the multinational references in these posts, that's gonna be a Phileas Fog style mission ;-)

13. TuscaloosaRed

TuscaloosaRed New Member

I was a Manc simply because they were the only club I knew much about. This was 13 years ago or so when the league was just starting to get exposure in the states. I followed them closely and really learned all about the league, tactics, fan culture, etc. I visited my sister in England over Christmas and made a trip to Liverpool. I knew a good bit about the club because I stumbled across the series "100 men shook the Kop" on YouTube. I just really got into the culture of Liverpool and the club after my visit and switched allegiances. The fact that ManU sold their soul to satan (Mourinho) and Liverpool has a manager who is the only German in the history of the world that smiles an laughs all the time, made all the more easier. Looking forward to my first trip to Anfield in August. I can't wait! Any suggestions and what to do and where to go on match day?

Strictly Armchair and Jase like this.
  14. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

:unhappy: :eh?: :indifferent: :-(

15. Eintrachtfan

You don't know many Germans, do you?
    Smiling and laughingwise I could do Klopp's work at LFC

16. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

I had been a football fan since staying up all night to watch Italia 90 on SBS in Oz...

Never had a team but always knew of Liverpool. Like I said yesterday, they are huge in Oz.

Ended up moving in with a fella who is a mad Red. Started getting up at all hours to watch games with him, and there's no point doing that if you're not gonna get behind someone.

That was fifteen years ago and was one of the best decisions I've ever made...

17. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Having met @Eintrachtfan fan a few weeks ago I can vouch for this.

His wife popped over at one point and, admittedly I don't speak much German but, I'm sure I recognised the phrase

"Hast du dein Medikament genommen? Du erinnerst dich, was das letzte Mal passiert ist"

Livvy likes this.
  18. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

That's all that stuck in my head from that post.. I'm sorry lol

If that was intentional I salute you :well done:

19. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

ha!

Scandalous!!!

Jase likes this.
  20. Eintrachtfan

@Jase:
    Did'nt know you speak German very well.
    But this is a misunderstanding. I've no problems concerning medications.
    You must have mixed up something.
    How many beer did we have at that time?

Jase likes this.
  21. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Shows how our reputation and history have made us one of the few clubs whose fanbase can genuinely be described as global. Exhibit 1 is the link below comparing our visit to the MCG (with spine tingling rendition of YNWA) vs Spurs pisspoor following. That needs to be posted on the Fighting Cock website before we play them again. Show them what a piddling little outfit they are in comparison to us.
    https://twitter.com/theanfieldwrap/status/757900877210333186

Btw, if anyone wants to get a good feel for the history of the club prior to recent times, try getting your hands on a copy of 'The Liverpool Story' by Derek Hodgson. It goes into quite some detail about the club throughout an era which is now overlooked but still relevant to who / where we are today as a footballing entity. Well worth a read.
    I got my copy for Xmas 1978 and it was so well thumbed it was practically falling apart by the end. If I remember correctly the spine ended up being gaffa taped. I must have discarded it by mistake during a house move as I wouldn't have willingly binned it.

As an aside, can you imagine the bitters version of this thread?

Where are you from?
    Huyton
    Huyton
    Huyton
    Huyton
    Wrexham (originally from Huyton)
    Huyton
    Huyton

What a delightful cultural mix that would be.

22. KillerBeeLFC

KillerBeeLFC TIA Reserve Team

I think youre being a bit harsh, dont forget kirkby. Zcars was filmed there so its full of bluenoses ha

acerimmer, Jase and Strictly Armchair like this.
  23. acerimmer

acerimmer New Member

As a young Partck Thistle fan, we used to watch this smashing, promising, defender called Alan Hansen. Whatever happened to him...

Would you please mind if I highlighted something which again came up the other day, just in conversation with fellow football fans?

Obviously, there are a number of players in any team nowadays who are almost necessary from around the world.

Was there a Liverpool side, circa early 70s, which did not feature an 'English born' player at all?

It's a reminiscence from a game I recall as s youngster when the late, great, Brian Moore, made that observation during commentary.

My recollection is that that game was against Spurs and midweek - would maybe have been something special to have been on midweek TV back then?

It might have been an FA cup replay?

Was it not something like 7-2?

Did Steve Highway not run riot that night?

So... Steve being from Dublin and maybe Bruce, born in Zimbabwe, in goals... who else?

I can surely think of some others, just not sure of that 11 though, if memory trusts in the first place!

Confident though that Brian Moore made that observation.

From a Jags Fan XX

24. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

Was that on the Fields of Anfield Road.......

25. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

Older brothers always supported Liverpool - my 1st proper memory was Grob's Spaghetti legs...

1st ever match was at Loftus Road - 0-0 (1991) - Jan Molby hit the cross bar with a free kick (he still remembers it).

1st time at Anfield was Sheffield Wednesday - Stan Collymore debut.

Been to anfield many times since - even lived there for a year! (Kensington)

Currently live in Leicester and got to about 10 matches a season.

My 2 kids aged 17 and 14 are both nuts on it too.

26. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

The Kop singing YNWA is the reason to why I am a Liverpool fan and have been that since 1980 or around that. They showed a lot of Liverpool games on TV in Sweden back then. Everyone could see the games.

OLDIE likes this.
  27. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

Maybe this one?

7 07.09.1974 5 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur Anfield 1st Division

Plenty of Englishmen there though. I think it is unlikely we could have fielded a team in the 70s without english players.

Starting lineup
    1 [​IMG] Ray Clemence
    2 [​IMG] Tommy Smith
    3 [​IMG] Alec Lindsay
    4 [​IMG] Phil Thompson
    5 [​IMG] Peter Cormack
    6 [​IMG] Emlyn Hughes (c)
    7 [​IMG] Phil Boersma
    8 [​IMG] Brian Hall
    9 [​IMG] Steve Heighway
    10 [​IMG] Ray Kennedy
    11 [​IMG] Ian Callaghan

28. acerimmer

acerimmer New Member

29. acerimmer

acerimmer New Member

Rambler,

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to help research this query.

Certainly sounds like the same game, doesn't it.

So where did I get that idea from? It's not a recent recollection. I rememberl this from the time and it has intrigued myself for many years.

Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you?

It wasn't a big deal during commentry, just a casual mention from Brian Moore that there were no English born players in that particular side. Then again, I was young at the time and for sure could have picked it up wrong.

Looks like it! However, question resolved and greatly appreciated.

Commando likes this.
  30. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

I was born covered in red and will die in red.

I must say your post pretty much describes it better.

One of my father in laws was a blue. He used to say that just before he dies he will become a red.

When asked why ? He replied

So 1 of those bastards goes instead of a blue. Banter at its best.

The guy died in his mid 70"s and he did indeed die a red. Brilliant !!!

Irishanfield likes this.