• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Likely Bench - 2019/2020

Jaytinho

With the clock winding down on the Transfer Window, this group is looking likely. What could we achieve with this squad?

GK
Mignolet
Ojrzynski (3rd Choice?)
Kelleher
Lonergan

Defense
Lovren
Gomez
Larouci (Break out season?)
Lewis (Squad options?)
Van den Berg (Squad options?)
Phillips (Demoted to U23s)
Hoever (Academy?)
Clyne (Injured/Uncertain)

Midfield
Keita
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Milner
Lallana
Kent (Possibly Sold)
Jones (Demoted to U23s)
Woodburn? (Demoted to U23s)
Chirivella (Probably Loan/Sold/Released)
Ejaria (Probably Loan/Sold/Released)

Forwards
Origi
Brewster
Shaqiri
Wilson (Squad options?)
Elliot (Academy)
Duncan (Academy)
Awoniyi (Probably Loan/Sold/Released)

Last edited:

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
If the key players stay fit then we can do well.
My worry is that if Robertson or TAA are injured then our entire attacking flank threat on that side dies.
I still don’t think our squad is large enough to take the domestic cups seriously (unless we get favourable draws) and I think if we go all season with only one league defeat again we would have done very well.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Mignolet, Kelleher;
Lovren, Matip, van Den Berg, Hoever;
Lewis, Larouci, Gomez, Milner;
Milner, Keita/Ox, Lallana;
Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri, Wilson

A (very) decent subs bench in my opinion, taking into consideration that we can easily change formations to 442, 442 Diamond or 4411 to compensate any potential injuries/missing players. Also, many players above are flexible and can cover a couple of positions like Ox, Milner, Hoever, Wilson, Lallana and Shaqiri.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
If the key players stay fit then we can do well.
My worry is that if Robertson or TAA are injured then our entire attacking flank threat on that side dies.
I still don’t think our squad is large enough to take the domestic cups seriously (unless we get favourable draws) and I think if we go all season with only one league defeat again we would have done very well.
I agree that we don't have the 1 to 1 replacement in the FB position, but a tactical change can suffice, such as using Ox/Gini as central winger in the middle getting wide while the RB gets forward less and focuses on defence.

Incognito

The Normal One
I just want to see the below line up for few games at a stretch, fully fit and in form:

-------------------Alisson---------------
Trent -- Gomez---VVD----Robbo
---------------------Fabinho---------------
-------------Ox--------Keita/Hendo--------
Salah-----------Bobby-----------Mane

The above would be too hot to handle for anyone in Europe.

The strongest balanced bench that I would then consider could be:
Migs, Matip, Milly, Hendo/ Keita, Gini, Shaqiri, Origi

Lallana, Lovren, Brewster are amongst the ones I could have had on bench, but would miss out in that case. Think it all comes down to fitness, injuries may stretch the squad but if that means #Mbappe2020 am ok for it lol

In fairness, think a right player for couple of positions - Full back/ Wide forward who's ready to phase out Lallana/ Milly eventually could work, but he'll have to do a Robbo to displace any of the first team members - work hard and wait for his chance. Period.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
We always seem to have at least 2 players (from 1st team squad) injured. Lallana will be injured at some point and is probably his last season with us. I hope Gomez stays fit as he's had at least 2 serious injuries so far (and he is still young). Be nice to get a season out of Ox and hope Brewster kicks on too.

It would be nice to get some full back cover - Ribery or Alves would be interesting choices (as our reserve full backs are nowhere near established yet).

Strange that we haven't made a big signing seeing that we let Studge and Moreno go, and now have lost Clyne for the season.

Jaytinho

Mignolet, Kelleher;
Lovren, Matip, van Den Berg, Hoever;
Lewis, Larouci, Gomez, Milner;
Milner, Keita/Ox, Lallana;
Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri, Wilson

A (very) decent subs bench in my opinion, taking into consideration that we can easily change formations to 442, 442 Diamond or 4411 to compensate any potential injuries/missing players. Also, many players above are flexible and can cover a couple of positions like Ox, Milner, Hoever, Wilson, Lallana and Shaqiri.
Your optimism and logic is so refreshing sir lol LFC twitter is losing its God damn mind at the moment

Jaytinho

We always seem to have at least 2 players (from 1st team squad) injured. Lallana will be injured at some point and is probably his last season with us. I hope Gomez stays fit as he's had at least 2 serious injuries so far (and he is still young). Be nice to get a season out of Ox and hope Brewster kicks on too.

It would be nice to get some full back cover - Ribery or Alves would be interesting choices (as our reserve full backs are nowhere near established yet).

Strange that we haven't made a big signing seeing that we let Studge and Moreno go, and now have lost Clyne for the season.
Thats my biggest issue, not every player we have in the squad is a Bobby, Mane, Salah or Milner, we do have injury prone players. I really do hope theres at least some movement in the closing stages of the window

Limiescouse

Thats my biggest issue, not every player we have in the squad is a Bobby, Mane, Salah or Milner, we do have injury prone players. I really do hope theres at least some movement in the closing stages of the window
If we were city fans judging their squad by the same bar then last season we would likely have had to point out they had Kompany, Otamendi, Gundogan, KdB, and Aguero who were all "injury prone". And what have they dont to address that?

Art Morte6

Gomez back-up RB, Milner back-up LB? I'd much rather see us buy a full-back before the window's closed.

I also desire a striker; Origi isn't that good.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Taking a more overall look, not jumping immediately on those young guns, from which some will leave on loan, be sold or mainly play for the U23/U18's. Focus on the first team first and then we'll see through the season on which youngsters we can really count.

Don't know what's going to happen with Wilson, but assuming he stays, we have 22 senior players, which is the wanted number, so possibly the main first team squad Klopp would be happy to start the season with...

GK: Alisson, Mignolet
DF: vDijk, Matip, Gomez, Lovren, Trent, Robertson
MF: Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita, Chamberlain, Lallana
FW: Firmino, Salah, Mane, Shaqiri, Origi, Brewster, Wilson

Now... of course, when you make two XI's out of that, we have to shuffle players around, it's not really like for like. It doesn't necessarily have to be. I'm pretty sure we'll still look to use Mane or Salah ahead of Origi and Brewster if Bobby is not there at that moment. Plus, of course, the always possible shift of structure, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 diamond. It's not settled, it's not black and white and it depends on the form, physical condition, opponent, understanding with other players, etc. Just scroll back looking at past seasons, every season it's not like you thought things would go in pre-season. New players impress, new players disappoint. It changes all the time. Maybe not even for a full season, parts of it.

You can immediately see where we are strong (spine, midfield options, versatile players, we have a lot of those) and where we are weaker (on the sides, both full back positions where we don't have stylistically the same backup + an extra player for RW, but lack of LW options).

Gomez will probably cover when Trent is out, Millie will probably cover when Robbo is out. Fabinho can act as an additional CB if we need it.
A few of our midfielders can do a job in the forward line.

I'm not going to count the likes of vdBerg, Hoever, Larouci, Elliott. There's a clear difference between a Brewster and a Larouci. Yes, they will be there, probably often in and around Melwood. But perhaps even Klopp himself doesn't know yet how much he can realistically count on a vdBerg at the moment. In fact, he said it himself. He's very young and just joined, it will take time. I think we'll look to use our experienced players first, even if playing someone out of position, even a few of them at once. Then, it depends on the kids, how much they can impress and if Klopp decides the game/situation is right to have a younger player, but who offers stylistically what we need.

One big thing for a start would be to get something new of the players who largely missed or didn't impress last season, but have the potential to give us something different. That's mainly our CM area. A fit and more settled Keita would enable us to pick Millie wisely and perhaps spreaded more in a few positions (both #8 positions and both full back positions). A fit Ox would be a strong candidate to become our first offensive minded backup off the bench, be it in #8 or in the forward line.

I expected and wanted a calm summer, for once. But still expected 1-2 signings. As I think less and less we're getting one, then as things stand at the moment that's the 22 Klopp starts the season with and we take it from there (we could sell Wilson in January and then prepare a summer signing, who knows...).

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Your optimism and logic is so refreshing sir LFC twitter is losing its God damn mind at the moment
Thanks mate, I have a lot of trust in Klopp and the team. Twitter is so mental, I hate reading tweets at Twattersphere especially during the transfer window and any defeat.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
My typical bench for this season.

1. Mignolet
2. Gomez
3. Lovren
4. Milner
5. Oxlade Chamberlain
6. Shaqiri
7. Origi

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
To get your bench you need to define the starting 11, I think you then add in the back up options per position (where you can). So mine looks something like..

Alisson (Mignolet)

Trent-Alexander Arnold (Hoever) -- Gomez (Matip) -- Van Dijk (Lovren) -- Robertson (Larouci)

Fabinho (Lallana)

Henderson (Wijanldum) -- Keita (Oxlade)

Salah (Wilson) -- Firmino (Brewster) -- Mane (Origi)
With - Shaqiri and Milner viable flexible options as well.

If Wilson isn't deemed good enough that is our obvious shortfall.
Also risking a lot on 2 *17 year olds as our back up for fullback.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Alisson (Mignolet)

Trent-Alexander Arnold (Hoever) -- Gomez (Matip) -- Van Dijk (Lovren) -- Robertson (Larouci)

Fabinho (Lallana)

Henderson (Wijanldum) -- Keita (Oxlade)

Salah (Wilson) -- Firmino (Brewster) -- Mane (Origi)
With - Shaqiri and Milner viable flexible options as well.
DING!! DING!! DING!!

We have a winner!!!