Liverpool’s obscurest, best signing ever ? - Maybe a poll

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
It’s sort of depressing reading all of the mistakes in the “who was the worst Liverpool signing ever?”, so hows about ....

I am thinking along the lines of a never really heard of this guy, type signing, so imo the Suarez, Salah’s, Mane‘s don’t make this list.

When I was thinking of this post, Titi Camara was at the very top of my list, and I expect it was sort of an emotional connection with him because of the game he played, scored, and started crying, and nobody knew what the hell was going on. I remember reading or hearing a comment when he first signed with us, something along the lines of “we were promised big signings and all we got was some Titi”

After thinking about this for a while, I also remembered Sami Hyypiä, and personally, even though I remembered him second, I don’t think this signing can be beaten. The last game at Anfield showed how much the club meant to him, and how much he meant to us. I can still remember being pissed when Gerrard took over the captain duties as I always believed that Sami was the best captain I can remember from my time. It’s because of Sami that I can’t bring myself to start a poll. It might just be too one sided.

Andy Robertson? Great so far, time will tell how great. For me it’s too soon, but he is definitely high on the list.

Luis Garcia, don’t know if he makes the list? Just because I never really heard of him, doesn’t make him an unknown signing, right? One of the most frustratingly skillful players ever.

Momo Sissoko, if not for that eye injury, how high would he be on the list?

Jan Molly? I know the player, I just don’t know how obscure he was when we signed him. It’s sort of harder to tell as it was before the internet became mainstream.

And last but not least, Igor Biscan, mind you, not the entire player, just his penis.

I am surely missing a bunch, and am I right about skipping the poll?

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular Simpsons quoter
I would say Alvaro Arbeloa would be right up there as one of the most low profile signings who became a very good player. We would have feared a right back Spanish signing after that Josemi stint but he came in, was a solid defender and versatile across the back three. Only had a handful of games with Deportivo but other than that no real senior experience. Sold too early because of the pretty shit situation with the ownership

Peter Crouch too. People laughed at why we signed a "beanpole" from Southampton. But he was technically very good and surprised everyone. Scored plenty of beauties.

nikz200

I have to say when we first bought our Robertson, i thought he was going to be a decent player, but a starter and a candidate for world class left back? Got to say thats a seriously unexpected but welcome twist.

Want to give a shoutout to Peter Crouch cause seriously who knew he could dribble like that, he was very underrated with the play using his feet. Ripped teams to shreds.

that Bellamy transfer back to the club under King Kenny was another one with huge impact at what was a weird timing for him. But it won us a trophy, so that was a shrewd move by the club that i didn't see them making.

Hyppia for me is the one literally no one knew anything about , and he came in and made his mark on the team. That treble season, the season we won the champions league and the FA cup win, he was immense for us.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Gary Mac. Sorry to him, but I was young and just started as a Liverpool fan!

Momo is a very good shout, I didn't even know who he was. Quickly realized he's physically a monster and made us a tougher to beat. He was immense at Barca away, I think he got MOTM. Technical ceiling probably good enough for our improved level at the time, plus that unlucky injury away at Benfica.

Riise was also a nice surprise as a relatively young player who gave years of fine service (dipped towards the end, yeah). Finnan came in more low profile, but after a tough start, turned out to be good over the next years. I'd say to this day our second best RB I've seen for us, behind Trent. Better than all the rest.

Agger is certainly up there. Wasn't a small fee at the time considering it was us, but a fine talent who after 6 months of adaptation and patience showed he can displace Sami at the back for that 06/07 season.

Aurelio and Arbeloa were both cheap and quality. Good examples how creative we needed to be and we often were. Aurelio's only struggle were injuries, he was at his best on his way to Athens and I think he would've started that game.

Mascherano I knew who he was from people playing FM and saying this kid is a real talent! Also took no time in showing he can start here, by Athens it was already like you couldn't really imagine our starting XI without him, that says it all.

Yossi I think initially replaced Garcia as that "anywhere between the lines" player and was arguably even more consistent. Luis had a number of top moments for us, even if frustrating to watch at times, funny footballer, unpredictable.

Klavan was a shrewd one, proof that you can find a decent short-term option even if he doesn't have a great CV.

Coutinho and Robbo are certainly up there in terms of price, how good they were/are for us and how we raised their profile/value with us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Teenagers from 40 years ago are always relative unknowns.

If we're going back to the days of Twentyman there were loads of gems that the club seemingly unearthed from nowhere. Or Scunthorpe.
Still, a teenager signed from the third tier (was it?) Who ended up (arguably?) Our best out an out CF? Gotta be right up there. In more recent times Sotirios Kyrgiakos has to be up there. Wasn't a young player by any means but was so far off the radar it was untrue.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Teenagers from 40 years ago are always relative unknowns.

If we're going back to the days of Twentyman there were loads of gems that the club seemingly unearthed from nowhere. Or Scunthorpe.
what about that that other guy, plucked from Scottish football for 100K,
from a team that were jokingly nicknamed Partick Thistle Nil,
he did alright, cant mind his name though! ;)

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Assaidi was by far the most odd and obscure player to have signed in recent years.
I remember a video, what was it, him doing keep ups with a basketball?

That was so random, like real life became Football Manager for a moment.

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular Simpsons quoter
Assaidi was by far the most odd and obscure player to have signed in recent years.
I would not say he was that odd. He had a couple of decent seasons in Netherlands before signing with us (decent, not great). He was a cheap backup option for an ownership still in it's infancy since taking over the mess left by H&G

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Still, a teenager signed from the third tier (was it?) Who ended up (arguably?) Our best out an out CF? Gotta be right up there. In more recent times Sotirios Kyrgiakos has to be up there. Wasn't a young player by any means but was so far off the radar it was untrue.
Sotirios to me was a horrible signing.

Honest, hardworking footballer, but if anyone was the posterbiy for what went wrong with rafas reign, it was him and Ngog.

Honest players you wouldn’t speak Ill about, but, know, it was sad to watch..... no where near what we needed at the time and an ominous sign of what was happening in the background, I’m sure we were scouting augero and kompany in the same era.

Nothing underlined rafas decline more.

Actually sadder for me and than the Hodgson period

Commando

Ad-free Member
I don't follow other leagues so unless we sign players from the Prem (Sadio, Robbo) or a recent opponent (Ali,Mini) I've probably never heard of them. From the suggestions so far in the thread I'd choose Sami. Could you imagine him and Virg together?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don't follow other leagues so unless we sign players from the Prem (Sadio, Robbo) or a recent opponent (Ali,Mini) I've probably never heard of them. From the suggestions so far in the thread I'd choose Sami. Could you imagine him and Virg together?
I think Sami was very much a defender of his time, and the years we had him coincided with his skill set being the one that defenders needed.

I think he’d struggle a fair bit in today’s game. He could head anything away, and he was strong and imposing. But god he was slow, and his passing wasn’t much to write home about either.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I think Sami was very much a defender of his time, and the years we had him coincided with his skill set being the one that defenders needed.

I think he’d struggle a fair bit in today’s game. He could head anything away, and he was strong and imposing. But god he was slow, and his passing wasn’t much to write home about either.
Perhaps I'm remembering him through rose tinted specs, but I don't recall him being that slow or that bad a passer. I'd still like to see him and Virg though. Although Virg and Joe is my ideal CB partnership.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
My best obscure signing in PL era would be Sami, it rarely gets better than that, signed from non-big three Dutch club for peanuts and only the league title eluded him after stellar games. The best in my time following the club... I think it's Arbeloa. I knew his name from PES, I remember him having awful stats and then marking Messi, albeit a young one, out of CL. A really solid and dependable signing, virtually ever-present in Rafa's best two years at the club (even if they didn't yield any trophies).

That said, I struggle to think of a big club having as many left field signings as Liverpool over the last twenty years. Cavalieri, Itandje, Padelli (?!), Kromkamp, Dossena, Degen, Voronin, Jovanović, countless young lads like Paletta, Insua, Plessis, El Zhar, Pacheco who were hyped up to the maximum, only to turn out well short of the mark...

Danny_

Since we are talking about obscure signings that nobody knew about, I think Hyppia or Robertson. Didn't know anything about either of them before they came to us. People knew about the other names mentioned - Rush, Hendo, Gary Mac and definitely Alonso . I think that with modern day scouting where players are tracked from the time they are 7 years old, it's a lot harder these days to find a diamond in the rough.

redbj

His passing really wasn’t as bad as all that.

I reckon he’d be fine in today’s game. For all his lack of pace he really only every got completely owned once in his career prime.

And he had the flu that day.......

I still remember in the formative years of this forum, towards Sami’s end, the amount of flack he copped.....totally out of order that.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

His passing really wasn’t as bad as all that.

I reckon he’d be fine in today’s game. For all his lack of pace he really only every got completely owned once in his career prime.

And he had the flu that day.......

I still remember in the formative years of this forum, towards Sami’s end, the amount of flack he copped.....totally out of order that.
Both are probably true. We played deeper and much more compact while Sami was in the team. Would he be able to play in this current team? Of course, but I would be a bit nervous about his lack of pace with how exposed our cbs are now. But next to Virgil? He'd be great. Next to Lovren? I'd be worried (but that's true regardless of partner lol)

redbj

Big Sami, agger, , carra, van dijk, joe Gomez ( yes, I rate him that high already)

We’ve had some wonderfull footballers back there over the years.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Since we are talking about obscure signings that nobody knew about, I think Hyppia or Robertson. Didn't know anything about either of them before they came to us. People knew about the other names mentioned - Rush, Hendo, Gary Mac and definitely Alonso . I think that with modern day scouting where players are tracked from the time they are 7 years old, it's a lot harder these days to find a diamond in the rough.

People widely knew about Xabi Alonso before he joined in 2004? A 22yr old playing for a relatively small team that finished 15th in La Liga?

If they did, I wasn't among them.