Liverpool’s obscurest, best signing ever ? - Maybe a poll

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Back where we belong :-)
Jimmy Melia - from early 60's whose cousin was in my brothers school and is reason why he (and I) support Liverpool as our Dad was an Evertonian - my brother was a Koppite from the late sixties and Hunt was his hero, he 'infected' the rest of the family... God bless you Jummy (alive and still kicking)..
edit slightly convoluted story but all the best ones are..

Last edited:

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I am no encyclopedia on our history, but going with the theme of the OP it would be Coutinho who pops into mind. Just a youngin when we bought him, nobody knew who he was or what he could do.

He had his deficiencies too. Defensive liability at times but that wasn't what he was purchased for. He was a link-up man and creator and did some great things for us as a club. The "Little Magician" has definitely left his mark, too bad on his dismount to Barca but I doubt we would be in our current position without him.

Second would be Joe Gomez in recent years. Maxi in 3rd, apparently he is still playing for Newell's. Didn't realize we got Maxi on a free!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Henderson for me.
What a gritty, tough character.
To see him captain our club after almost being sold to fulham, and the constant ridicule he has got and his meteoric rise to be a key player in this unstoppable liverpool team is nothing short of a miracle.
Players like him are what we relate to. Hardworking, never give up, give your best every single game, accept criticism and improve every single time.
King Kenny signed a raw diamond back in June 2011.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Henderson for me.
What a gritty, tough character.
To see him captain our club after almost being sold to fulham, and the constant ridicule he has got and his meteoric rise to be a key player in this unstoppable liverpool team is nothing short of a miracle.
Players like him are what we relate to. Hardworking, never give up, give your best every single game, accept criticism and improve every single time.
King Kenny signed a raw diamond back in June 2011.
He has had a bit of criticism, and fsir criticism at times. He has improved and impressed with his resilience and learning. But he has not being 'constantly ridiculed'. That isnt really the case.

Also, was he 'an obscure signing?' I dont think so. My view is that obscure is the player who arrived unknown, unheralded and out of the blue.
Istvan Kozma was obscure and unsuccessful.
Kevin Keegan, Phil Neal, Ian Rush all successful

Andy Robertson in the modern game is a decent example. From a relegated team, left field and inexpensive.

richieh10

Think Robbo falls into this category.

relegated from the PL with Hull and wasn’t really a lot of people’s first choice.

but the boy is a super star now!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think Robbo falls into this category.

relegated from the PL with Hull and wasn’t really a lot of people’s first choice.

but the boy is a super star now!
On same note Gomez, a young, emerging RB in league one was it? Came straight in covering at LB few times due to injuries. Got injured himself a fair bit. Split RB duties with Trent for a year, now justifiably one of the best CBs around at what is still an incredibly young age.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I've probably never heard of them. From the suggestions so far in the thread I'd choose Sami. Could you imagine him and Virg together?
I'd actually have a fit and in form Agger instead of Sami partnering Virgil. Sami's a better defender than peak Agger but get the feeling that Agger and Virgil's gameplay complement each other. Two ball playing defenders who can ping long balls to our wingers , give us a completely new way of attacking.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I'd actually have a fit and in form Agger instead of Sami partnering Virgil. Sami's a better defender than peak Agger but get the feeling that Agger and Virgil's gameplay complement each other. Two ball playing defenders who can ping long balls to our wingers , give us a completely new way of attacking.
Good shout.

Rooster

What a hit son
For the obscure worst.....what about Caulker.

Obscure = wtf, mad, strange or desperate. And from memory had a game out of position!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
For the obscure worst.....what about Caulker.

Obscure = wtf, mad, strange or desperate. And from memory had a game out of position!
Yeah , We've grown a bit defensively since then though.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Caulker was a promising prospect some 2-3 years ago. Could never get out of his personal demons,
Yeah at one point he looked like a real promising up and coming CB who had all the tools in his locker then his career went down hill. We know something about him regarding that but there are other players who were similar that seemed to be on the cusp and had unexpected falls from Grace. From the outside we can't know but there is probably more issues like his in the sport than us fans would ever be aware of.