• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool face expulsion from Carabao cup

Dave-D

News broke an hour ago that Liverpool may be expelled from the carabao cup for fielding an ineligible player. The player hasn’t been name but somebody as Liverpool has messed up here and if the team is expelled I feel sorry for the youngsters as they’ll now miss out on playing at Anfield again Arsenal.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
News broke an hour ago that Liverpool may be expelled from the carabao cup for fielding an ineligible player. The player hasn’t been name but somebody as Liverpool has messed up here and if the team is expelled I feel sorry for the youngsters as they’ll now miss out on playing at Anfield again Arsenal.

Can't quite believe that - if it's true...

W00die

Ad-free Member
Could it be Lonergan ? He was signed late wasn't he but he only made the bench so a fine should be sufficient. Bad screw up by someone if true and not a hoax.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
How the hell did this happen?
If it stands up hard to expect anything more than a fine,unless they want a piece of us...no surprise there.
But nah! only a fine!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Sunderland got done for what sounds like a similar screw up in 2014 and received a fine.

If we get kicked out then that just shows an agenda by the authorities against us
The Sunderland screw up was worse as it wasn't just confined to a single League Cup game (which was also against MK Dons) but 4 PL games. They were fined and I'm sure we will be too.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Pearce:

It is understood the administrative issue is with the FA concerning the Spaniard’s international transfer certificate (ITC). Liverpool could not receive it without the FA’s intervention which was requested back in July.

An ITC is provided from one national association to another to facilitate the transfer of a player between countries and Chirivella returned to Merseyside this summer after going on loan to Spanish second division side Extremadura in the second half of last season.

Liverpool believe they have a strong case for mitigation having made an application to the FA back in July.

Anfield officials believed it had been dealt with, enabling Chirivella to play in domestic competitions. They will argue the mistake was due to an administrative error by the FA.

redalways

TIA Regular
Shit excuse. If they didn't receive confirmation of international clearance he shouldn't have been fielded.
Yeah I'm not sure why this is even happening, I'd be quite surprised if there's no confirmation that such clearance was received...

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We should get a fine, but if they already set the precedent for that being the extent of the punishment, that should be it. Anything more and you have to question it.
Certainly, but to be fair it's only the media reports that are suggesting we could be banned from the competition. Makes for a better headline and more clicks. It will be a fine, if that, based on the previous precedent set which was a far more serious breach.