• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool face expulsion from Carabao cup

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Certainly, but to be fair it's only the media reports that are suggesting we could be banned from the competition. Makes for a better headline and more clicks. It will be a fine, if that, based on the previous precedent set which was a far more serious breach.
Can’t quite believe any misdemeanour by our club in the present circumstances as it appears so well run - thankfully. If it is true it should never happen again full stop.

Sweeting

We will probably just get a fine. It is also not like he played any significant part in the win.

I don't really understand what has been going on with Chirivella. The loan to Extremadura was fucked up, I believe by the FA's failure to send the right paperwork and he was robbed of 6 months of football. Now he returns to the club who own him and we aren't even allowed to play him because the FA haven't responded to a request we made in July?

Is anyone actually looking for Chirivella's best interests? It seems he is just caught in the middle of administrative nonsense. Must be so frustrating for a 22 year old who needs to be playing to be banned because of bureaucracy.

Last edited:

redalways

TIA Regular
We will probably just get a fine. It is also not like he played any significant part in the win.

I don't really understand what has been going on with Chirivella. The loan to Extremadura was fucked up, I believe by the FA's failure to send the right paperwork and he was robbed of 6 months of football. Now he returns to the club who own him and we aren't even allowed to play him because the FA haven't responded to a request we made in July?

Is anyone actually looking for Chirivella's best interests? It seems he is just caught in the middle of administrative nonsense. Must be so frustrating for a 22 year old who needs to be playing to be banned because of bureaucracy.
Shocking doesn't quite even cover it.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
it may be the FAs fault, yet it was silly to actually play him in the game when we had literally ten other option for the bench. The FA may be incompetent idiots, but Liverpool made a mistake in naming him to play.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Agree with you. The FA seem at fault too for it, but at the end of the day, it's the club's responsibility to check the administrative issues. Someone has slept and let this drag on for far too long. Then, he/she failed to inform Klopp that he wasn't eligible.

It's a shame for the player as you say, and a bad scar on the club's professional reputation to be fair. A display of amateurism, which is disappointing given that otherwise, the club seems run by genuine professionals these days.

W00die

Ad-free Member
Does this mean we can't play him in any match until the Jan window opens (mind you it is only likely to be FA cup ones anyway, but they probably don't start until the New Year). Would this also apply to u23 / that new cup where we enter youngsters against L1&2 teams?

fspencer

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team

treboeth

Glad we're done with this but what does it mean for Chirivella?
Bit more in depth here
Liverpool have been fined £200,000, of which £100,000 is suspended, for fielding an ineligible player in a Carabao Cup match against MK Dons on September 25, the English Football League has announced.
The issue surrounds midfielder Pedro Chirivella, who came off the bench in the 63rd minute of the 2-0 victory, and the absence of an international transfer certificate - required after the 22-year-old returned from a loan spell with Spanish club Extremadura last season.
The EFL said in a statement: "Following a comprehensive review of all the evidence, the board determined that it wasn't appropriate to expel the club from the competition because of a number of mitigating factors."
Liverpool requested the paperwork in July but the process can only be completed with the Football Association's intervention and that is where the club believe the error has been made.
EFL rules give it "full powers" to investigate - which could have meant anything from a reprimand to expulsion from the competition.
A statement from the EFL continued: "In particular, the board noted that the club had sought the assistance of the Football Association in securing the return of the international clearance prior to the start of this season, and the club had been able to include the player on team sheets for Premier League Two matches (under Premier League rules) and one Leasing.com Trophy match, which resulted in the breach not being identified until the club reported the issue to the EFL and Premier League following the MK Dons match.

"As a result, the club has also been found guilty of misconduct in relation to the same breach for having fielded the player in the defeat against Oldham Athletic in the Leasing.com Trophy on 7 August, with the sanction incorporated into the financial penalty.
"The club will be liable for the suspended sum of £100,000, plus an additional sanction, if they were to again field an ineligible player in the Carabao Cup between now and the end of next season."
Following the EFL ruling, Liverpool issued a statement apologising for the "technical indiscretion".
A Liverpool club spokesperson said: "The club accepts the judgement, outcome and punishment imposed by the EFL.
"We believe it is proportionate with the technical indiscretion committed and will be making no further representations.
"Even though there were mitigating factors, which were beyond our control or jurisdiction, we believe it appropriate we apologise to the competition's governing body and also to Milton Keynes Dons."

Dutch

Ad-free Member
£200,000, for what? Fielding a player who played 25 minutes and had zero influence on the outcome, a bunch of greedy idiots in the EFL this an out of proportion fine.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
£200,000, for what? Fielding a player who played 25 minutes and had zero influence on the outcome, a bunch of greedy idiots in the EFL this an out of proportion fine.
Eh?

We couldn't have complained had they banned us as well. Personally I think we've got away with one here.

treboeth

Eh?

We couldn't have complained had they banned us as well. Personally I think we've got away with one here.
The Sunderland fine was not revealed at the time, so we may have paid the same or less or more :)

I agree we did okay with this it could have been much worse.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Eh?

Good for you, IMO it is a ridiculous amount of money for almost nothing.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
The Sunderland fine was not revealed at the time, so we may have paid the same or less or more :)

I agree we did okay with this it could have been much worse.
It was in the same ballpark from what I remember.

Regardless of any incompetence on the part of the FA, should we know if we had received clearance to field a particular player? Of course. We were able to establish that after the game perfectly easily, that should have occurred in advance.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Pleased to put this behind us, and glad that some of the youngsters will get another chance.

Any idea whether Chirivella is now free to play?

Magnus

Yeah, I did think the chances of the expulsion scenario, which obviously was the worst possible scenario for us, was overblown by an English media focused on the big headlines. Happy to see this mattered solved in a fair manner. If we made an unwitting mistake, we should probably be fined, but if it was unwitting, expulsion would be ridiculous.