Liverpool Injuries - Discussions

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
As per physio room, currently we have 8 guys injured - Lovren, Matip, Fab, Keita, Ox, Shaq, Clyne and Brewster.

In the currently injured lot, almost 7 guys (Shaq, Ox, Keita, Matip, Lovren, Clyne and Brewster) are in the eternally injured over 2 years. The much hated words, 'injury prone' springs to my mind.

Apart from the obviously self inflicted lack of LB cover, we are further pressed by the lack of alternatives for other positions due to these injury prone players. This can lead to fatigue to our key players and that can lead to injuries.

Even before rebuilding the team, I think its important for us to replace some of the injury prone players 1 by 1 over next 2 windows. That's my opinion.

PS - lack of a thread to discuss injury related issues drove me a bit crazy today, so opened a thread for the same.

liver1

It seems to be the same players all the time. And they always seem to be injured during the period in which they ought to be getting their games in to relieve pressure on the squad.

Fortunately we have a cup game coming up and a week between now and Spurs, and a week between Spurs and Manu, which saves our bacon a bit but after that the games come thick and fast again.

Fabinho, Shaq and Matip look like theyre going to return soon though so we may be ok.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
As per physio room, currently we have 8 guys injured - Lovren, Matip, Fab, Keita, Ox, Shaq, Clyne and Brewster.

In the currently injured lot, almost 7 guys (Shaq, Ox, Keita, Matip, Lovren, Clyne and Brewster) are in the eternally injured over 2 years. The much hated words, 'injury prone' springs to my mind.

Apart from the obviously self inflicted lack of LB cover, we are further pressed by the lack of alternatives for other positions due to these injury prone players. This can lead to fatigue to our key players and that can lead to injuries.

Even before rebuilding the team, I think its important for us to replace some of the injury prone players 1 by 1 over next 2 windows. That's my opinion.

PS - lack of a thread to discuss injury related issues drove me a bit crazy today, so opened a thread for the same.
I think it is a good idea to have a thread on this - as long as it doesnt simply become another transfer thread.

However, I think you are being somewhat unfair calling them eternally injured. I also think you are worrying too much, the whole point of a squad is to cover these sorts of eventualities. The fact that we have played so many games in short succession, extending our lead at the top of the league and winning the world club championship is testament to the quality and fitness in this squad.

Also Clyne is on the list to leave and we have replacements for him in the squad/youth squad already.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
It's a shame that Brewster hasn't been fit for a while in order to play against Aston Villa and properly lead the line against Everton but I guess I'll this with the growing injury list.

By the way, Klopp also said that injured lads are doing well and suggested that some might return for Tottenham match. He said that Fabinho has begun running outside if I understood it properly, so he might be ready to feature in Wolves match perhaps?

LFCFFC

Ox I would class as bloody unlucky more than injury prone. Touchwood, he hasn't really been afflicted by persistent soft tissue injuries with us like he was earlier in his career. Instead he's had two collisions and copped ligament damage twice. Keita is a concern admittedly and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lovren gone this time next year.

Tbf, it's probably only natural that we'll have guys in the squad more prone to injuries in comparison to workhorses like Milner, Hendo, VVD and Mane. I'll feel much better about things once Fab's back for that dual CM and CB cover. Minamino also hopefully provides some much needed cover across the front 3 so it's not all doom and gloom.

9 points out of 9 in the festive fixture clusterfuck is also very handy.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It seems to be the same players all the time. And they always seem to be injured during the period in which they ought to be getting their games in to relieve pressure on the squad.
I'm not sure that is fair or accurate.

Fabinho, Matip were first choice players this season before getting injured so i dont see them as being there to rotate others.

Keita also had also started to become a first name on the team sheet kind of player with his form over the last 2 months - if he was still match ready, he probably would have been one being looked at being rested in January, rather than being one who would provide cover.

Clyne is only here because he suffered a major injury in the summer. There are probably 2-5 players at the club who would be picked at full back ahead of him now. Brewster is about to go out on loan and doesnt appear ready yet for first team action in the league.

Lovren, and Ox will always have their physical issues. Ox was pretty unlucky to get injured when he did. Lovren we know can only play about 5 games before injury strikes (and he got in 6-7 games this time round) and again was available for sale last summer. These two may have been considered for rotation but the former stepping in when Matip got injured meant that Gomez is now pretty fresh and we still have 5 midfielders in the squad for our 3 midfield slots, so all isnt as bad as feared.

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
It's fair to say we need reliable cover along the back 4. I'd like to see a couple of proper backup FBs in the squad, not just Hendo and Milner.

A cheap but decent CB would be nice too.

Flobs

FADA
Matip played enough games this season for Lovren to be at his best who in turn played enough games for Gomez to be at his best. Yes it puts a lot of pressure on VVD yet it wasn't them who didn't bring in another CB that I thought would be wise.
Klopp out! ;)

Flobs

FADA
Ox got his second contact injury with us and his knee held out the injury was to his ankle, good sign in my book.
Shaquiri appears to be going through a lot of changes since his arrival as does Keita this added pressure is taking it's toll however with good medical council and some luck these things should iron out.
Clyne well who cares? Clyne out seriously!
Brewster well a bad injury like AOC and Gomez have had wish him luck but the operations these 3 have had seem sucessful.

Matip has his ankle.
Lovren tends to get contact injuries often during training and has had these 'strange' muscle injuries abdomen and hamstring recently hamstring could happen to any player at any moment particularly over the winter period in England.

Nikola

Admin
Matip's injury could have been handled better, in hindsight. An extremely injury prone player who got a suspect looking knock on his knee... At the time, it was a trip to Old Trafford, and Klopp always pays them too much respect, so I understand why he wanted an in-form Matip to start. Still, I think his absence wouldn't have been as long as almost three months had he not been rushed back for that match. I hope it won't be too long before Matip, Fabinho and Keita are back, I guess Lovren, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Shaqiri will take longer to recover.

liver1

I'm not sure that is fair or accurate.

Fabinho, Matip were first choice players this season before getting injured so i dont see them as being there to rotate others.

Keita also had also started to become a first name on the team sheet kind of player with his form over the last 2 months - if he was still match ready, he probably would have been one being looked at being rested in January, rather than being one who would provide cover.

Clyne is only here because he suffered a major injury in the summer. There are probably 2-5 players at the club who would be picked at full back ahead of him now. Brewster is about to go out on loan and doesnt appear ready yet for first team action in the league.

Lovren, and Ox will always have their physical issues. Ox was pretty unlucky to get injured when he did. Lovren we know can only play about 5 games before injury strikes (and he got in 6-7 games this time round) and again was available for sale last summer. These two may have been considered for rotation but the former stepping in when Matip got injured meant that Gomez is now pretty fresh and we still have 5 midfielders in the squad for our 3 midfield slots, so all isnt as bad as feared.
Fabinho hasnt really been injured that much so I wouldnt class him as injury prone.

Keita has played a grand total of 200 minutes of Premier league football this season believe it or not. Hes completed 90 minutes once, 70 minutes another, 23 minutes, 8 minutes and 6 minutes. Hes in because Fabinho is out, this should be his chance to play and establish himself but hes injured again. Im a massive Keita fan as evidence by the Keita thread but he hasnt strung together games yet which he must to become first team starter.

Im referring more to the Ox, Lovren, Shaq, Keita, group. This is their chance to get into the first team and play some minutes, relieve minutes for others and yet theyre the ones injured which isnt good.

Nikola

Admin
I'd definitely consider Matip, Lovren, Keita, Lallana and Shaqiri injury-prone based on their Liverpool fitness records. They are not naturally the fittest of lads (I thought Keita was, to be honest) but their fitness records are still disappointing. Always some niggles, usually of different sorts (I'm not even sure if it's a good or a bad thing, to be honest), they're almost never able to play continually for more than a month or two.

Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gomez are a bit different in this regard, at least I think so. Oxlade-Chamberlain had a poor record at Arsenal but I don't remember him taking much time to get back to full match fitness after recovering. Both lads suffered unlucky injuries at Liverpool, both of Chamberlain's big injuries were contact injuries and I think the same can be said of Gomez (I think his ACL was done a few moments after a tackle in England training), though Gomez doesn't strike me as iron man, to be honest. Then again, I saw Mee's tackle on Wesley the other day - that idiot should be flogged for that, it's ten times worse than what he did to Gomez.

As for Fabinho, we'll see how he recovers, it was also an unlucky piece of play that put excessive strain on his ligaments, hopefully nothing bad comes of it in long term.

Limiescouse

Naby picked up a thigh problem his last season at Red Bull and then kind limped his way through the rest of the season. There is lots of opportunity to second guess decisions that have been made on him since then. It's very possible an otherwise robust player was turned into one with injury problems because of the way an initial relatively minor injury was handled. Certainly playing for Guinea last summer after how bad that one against Barca looked seems a terrible idea.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
In Nabys case maybe we have also to look at his body type (size and weight).

Probably the lightest CM in the league.

Kanté compared to Keita is 4cm smaller but 6kg heavier.

Maybe Keita has to grow some muscles to be able to cope with the Leagues intensity.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
This is one of the reasons I like looking at the injury records of potential signings. The two main ones we have been linked to have decent records when taking their age into account. Havertz having a slightly better record than Sancho.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Naby looks slight maybe in upper body, but lower body he looks normal/strong to me, like a proper footballer. It's difficult to judge from our position. I also don't trust weight informations online. Only if it's really obvious visually.

jaffod

We've been really unlucky with the midfielders over the last few weeks. Gini got injured against Watford and missed the 2 games in Qatar, AOC got injured in the final, Shaq picked one up as soon as we got back, Naby injured himself in the warm-up against Sheff Utd and Milner gets one yesterday.
Luckily Gini and AOC are back and Shaqiri should be soon but it seems like as soon as we get one back another one picks one up. It's testament to the lads' mentality and determination that we just keep winning regardless but surely our luck has got to change soon?

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
It looked like milners hamstring yesterday... so if Harry Kane is anything to go by I’d guess Milner is out for 4-8 weeks.
Bollocks to those who say Man City have been hit hard by injuries. Our list this season has been relentless.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
It looked like milners hamstring yesterday... so if Harry Kane is anything to go by I’d guess Milner is out for 4-8 weeks.
Bollocks to those who say Man City have been hit hard by injuries. Our list this season has been relentless.
The mark of a great team is drop any new player in it and it will still function to the same extent. We are a great team whereas Manc is just a set of individual guys.

Flobs

FADA
Looked nearer the knee to me, anyway Klopp said musculaire, I say tendons, we'll have to see I suppose.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Might not be as bad. I was thinking maybe 2-3 weeks?

Limiescouse

Might not be as bad. I was thinking maybe 2-3 weeks?
It looked closer to cramp than a proper twang. Both from the way it hit him and the motions he made to Klopp as he came off. Obviously, you have to come off if that happens to you 5 minutes into a game, but it is likely to mean he shouldn't unavailable for very long.

jaffod

Matip back in training today, Shaqiri and Fabinho not far off. Just need to avoid any more injuries in the next couple of weeks and we'll be spoilt for choice by the time our winter break comes around.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
No doubt we will rotate with injuries but seeing Ox and Matip back is very good news. Hopefully Lovern and Fabinho aren't too far behind. We have some breaks inbetween a heavy period towards the end of January. Though compared to what we have been through we should be in better shape.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Just 3 games in the next 15 days. We'll be fine if no new injuries happen in the next few games.

Can see some of Matip, Fabinho, Shaqiri return/start in the FA Cup.

[email protected]

We were light in defence with two fit CB'S, light in Midfield with all the injuries there and have come through it unscathed on the league table if not with the squad available over the festive period. However, Ox is back, Shaqiri, Matip Fabinho are possibly available over the weekend but more likely for United the next weekend, Lovren, Keita and Milner also this month and while not injury recoveries, Minamino is great cover for the front three with Origi.

Got to say, the timing is just about as good as we could have hoped for. 5 more League games before the winter break and I can really see Jurgen demanding all out effort with little rotation except in midfield thanks to the increasing squad depth and the break to come. Hammer down and 15 from 15 through this all but seals the title. Genuinely not as concerned as I was 3 weeks ago.

RedAnd04

Any update on Glatzel? Heard nothing since pre season. Is he expected again this season?