• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Injuries - Discussions

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I don't think he is, it was reported that his season was over before it even began.

In other news, this list looks... Interesting.

Several of them should have caused us issues especially Fabinho and Alisson. Throw in Matip and Lovern at the same time and yet here we are.

Seems a fair few are in running for the weekend, which is good.

Limiescouse

That number for Ox seems a little low as well. I guess he may have technically been available, but given the nature of the injury and length of lay off Im sure there were a lot of games he wasnt really in contention for that they have not included in that count.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Several of them should have caused us issues especially Fabinho and Alisson. Throw in Matip and Lovern at the same time and yet here we are.

Seems a fair few are in running for the weekend, which is good.
When Fabinho got injured, I was beside myself. He became indispensable to this side, he was playing the best football of his career. Credit to Klopp and Henderson in particular for making Fabinho's absence felt as little as possible so far.

Matip, on the other hand... I like him and I'm happy he signed on for a few more years but he's the definition of an injury-prone player. I had to double-check the number of games missed next to his name.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I know but at that point we were and still are (though it looks like we might not be) down to two and no one was quite sure how Gomez would react. He is certainly a far better centre back than a full back.

Having options will create rest opportunities especially when the CL kicks back in.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Matip, on the other hand... I like him and I'm happy he signed on for a few more years but he's the definition of an injury-prone player. I had to double-check the number of games missed next to his name.
Isnt that somewhat distorted by how many games we have had in quick succession for some of the time he has been out?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

Limiescouse

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
When Fabinho got injured, I was beside myself. He became indispensable to this side, he was playing the best football of his career. Credit to Klopp and Henderson in particular for making Fabinho's absence felt as little as possible so far.

I don't have too much of an issue with Matip - he's a good player but on a similar level to Gomez, so if he gets a knock or two a season it's not the end of the world.

The main problem in defence imo is still Lovren who is not as good as the other three but just as much, if not more, injury prone than Matip. It ends up meaning if the others are all fit he doesn't play and if the others are injured half the time he is as well. I'm hoping he gets moved on in the summer and a more reliable fourth-choice (maybe even a young player who can look to push past Matip over a season or two) comes in.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
All 3 of them have missed chunks of last seasons. I'm pretty sure we'll see the 3 interchange again over the rest of this season. Now Gomez plays well, in a few weeks it could be Matip again or Lovren again. Hype will rise with each coming in and playing well, but the truth will always be somewhere in the middle. They have strengths and weaknesses, different style, age. But all have done pretty well since Virgil came. Gomez with probably the highest ceiling and I feel Virgil has clicked with him on and off the pitch. Matip's form in 2019 was the best he played for us too, I prefer an in-form Matip over an in-form Lovren. Gomez if he stays fit he can surpass an in-form Matip, if he keeps improving certain defensive aspects which Klopp mentioned a few times. So yeah, hopefully the one who comes in to replace Lovren is able to stay fit for longer periods.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
I don't have too much of an issue with Matip - he's a good player but on a similar level to Gomez, so if he gets a knock or two a season it's not the end of the world.

The main problem in defence imo is still Lovren who is not as good as the other three but just as much, if not more, injury prone than Matip. It ends up meaning if the others are all fit he doesn't play and if the others are injured half the time he is as well. I'm hoping he gets moved on in the summer and a more reliable fourth-choice (maybe even a young player who can look to push past Matip over a season or two) comes in.
Agreed. I think that JK and his coaching staff should rationalise our existing first team CBs in regard to their value for money. Having Lovren and Matip on the books is akin to maintaining an expensive gambling habit: It's great when you're winning but that's no good if you're losing far more money than you're making. Simply put, they get injured far too often. They are pulling down a huge salary (I'd strongly imagine) for spending a large part of the season in the treatment room. This has been the situation for several seasons now. It just doesn't make sense financially and SHOULD not be sustainable if your head is on straight. They might be great to have around the fit players from a morale pov but that shouldn't be the main issue, should it?

Players are bought to actually play, no? Having good personal relationships with the staff/other players should not be the salient reason for keeping them at the club.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Klopp has been willing to move Lovren on. That really isn't the issue here.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Manés injury did not look as if he will be out for too long. As long as he is back one or two games before the Atlético game everything is fine.

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular Simpsons quoter
Manés injury did not look as if he will be out for too long. As long as he is back one or two games before the Atlético game everything is fine.
Agreed. And we have a fairly sweet fixture list up to that game. I would not rush him back at all

West Ham, Southampton and Norwich. All 3 battling to stay up. Plus big Divock could do with a run of games and isn't Shaq back soon?

LFCFFC

Hopefully only a couple of weeks and he's back refreshed in time for Atletico (y)

Flobs

FADA
When a player stops and straight away signals to the bench (even walked toward it in this case) I fear at least 6 weeks and I think that's bad especially if it's Mané. :cry:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
It will be interesting to compare how many games Mane is out versus Vardy. Mane felt the twinge, talked to the trainer, they shut him down. From the sounds of it, Vardy was in a similar condition, tried to 'run it off', and caused significant tearing.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
When a player stops and straight away signals to the bench (even walked toward it in this case) I fear at least 6 weeks and I think that's bad especially if it's Mané. :cry:
I don’t have that fear at all. I saw the incident from the beginning and he didn’t grab the back of his leg, while in the cases of others that do grab their hamstring, they seem to be more serious. That’s my takeaway at least. I would say 3 games, and that includes the FA, which he wouldn’t have played anyway.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It will be interesting to compare how many games Mane is out versus Vardy. Mane felt the twinge, talked to the trainer, they shut him down. From the sounds of it, Vardy was in a similar condition, tried to 'run it off', and caused significant tearing.
just as long as he wasnt kung fu kicking in the changing room while watching us score on the monitors.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Mane is probably the best we can hope for, scheduled to return on the 15th of Feb.