Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala 25th Oct 20.05

Doggie

Resident Optimist
After losing to Udinese I think we are going out. Anzhi are a team bristling with talent and will be taking this seriously.

We face Everton on Sunday and that is way more important, so I'd like to see a fringe team play this one.

Give Downing and Cole an opportunity to earn some of the cash they are being gifted and a big smattering of the youngsters.

Gears

TIA Regular
Agger needs to stay on top of Eto for 90s minutes. If we can do that we'll be fine.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Looking forward to seeing Eto play at Anfield - in terms of what I expect? A team of young hungry players looking to make a statement for first team football - Yesil, I'm looking at you!

RMP

TIA First Team
Jones​
Wisdom Carra Skrtel Enrique​
Allen Henderson​
Shelvey​
Cole Morgan Downing​

RMP

TIA First Team
I wouldn't trust Coates with Eto'o to be honest. I'd rather a more experience defender around the back along with Carragher. I must concede that I forgot about Assaidi.

HeighwaytoHull

Banned Users
Don't care about the result here - we've got bigger fish to fry in the league on Sunday. With players tired from international duty, we need to make full use of the squad here. Even if we lose, we still have a shot at advancing.

Jones
McClaughlin---Coates---Carragher---Robinson

Henderson
Sahin----Shelvey

Assaidi-----Yesil----Pacheco

Subs:Gulacsi, Wilson, Enrique, Morgan, Adorjan, Cole, Sama

OhYaBeauty

I wouldn't trust Coates with Eto'o to be honest. I'd rather a more experience defender around the back along with Carragher. I must concede that I forgot about Assaidi.
Coates plays to deal with Lacina Traore. They've often played both Traore and Etoo, and at 6'8", Traore necessitates a tall defender to deal with him. Coates is the best man for the job. Etoo is also not quite as fast as he once was

Coates plays to deal with Lacina Traore. They've often played both Traore and Etoo, and at 6'8", Traore necessitates a tall defender to deal with him. Coates is the best man for the job. Etoo is also not quite as fast as he once was
Yep that's the way I see it as well. Coates deserves to play and will also be good to handle Traore. And personally I wouldn't be willing to put Carra against Eto'o or Traore.

My preffered lineup:

Jones​
Wisdom Skrtel Coates Enrique​
Hendo Allen​
Downing Shelvey Assaidi​
Yesil​

Have Suarez, Gerrard and Sahin on the bench since it's a home game.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Judging from those who featured against Reading and the timing of the substitutions:

Jones​
Wisdom-Carragher-Coates-Enrique​
Henderson​
Sahin-Shelvey​
Suso-Yesil-Assaidi​

Subs: Gulasci, Downing, Skrtel, Gerrard, Suarez, Johnson, Morgan.

Etoó, Traore, Lassana Diarra (if fit), Zhirkov, Samba. One hell of a team on paper so it will be no easy task. Expect Suarez to come on to score another goal from a set piece.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Don't care about the result here - we've got bigger fish to fry in the league on Sunday. With players tired from international duty, we need to make full use of the squad here. Even if we lose, we still have a shot at advancing.

Jones
McClaughlin---Coates---Carragher---Robinson

Henderson
Sahin----Shelvey

Assaidi-----Yesil----Pacheco

Subs:Gulacsi, Wilson, Enrique, Morgan, Adorjan, Cole, Sama
Yeah something like that line up, maybe Cole and Downing in for Sahin and Shelvey.

If we lose this match, then we have no chance - we face Udinese and Anzhi away later, and think they will get first and second place.

Current
Anzhi Makhachkala 2 4
Udinese 2 4
Liverpool 2 3
Young Boys 2 0

Lose this game
Anzhi Makhachkala 3 7
Udinese 3 7
Liverpool 3 3
Young Boys 3 0

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I didn't realise Shelvey is the current top goal scorer in the competition :tongue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/europa-league

red to the bone

TIA Squad Member
This can prove to be a really tough one, especially if we don't field our best side, which we probably won't. Even a draw could be far from guaranteed. Anzhi have beaten Spartak yesterday and they're sitting on top of the Russian league. They're a far better team than Udinese in my opinion.

If we go against them with our second team I'd be very happy with a draw. But even getting that could prove to be very difficult. Win would be a big surprise and our lads would really have to play a terrific game.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
This is going to be a tough game, but we surely cannot risk Suarez. I'd stick him on the bench.

Jones
Johnson Coates Carragher Enrique
Henderson Allen Shelvey
Downing Morgan Assaidi

steve10

TIA New Signing
Rodgers has a difficult call on this game with the likes of Gerrard, Suarez, Agger etc- having lost the game against Udinese we need to win this game. However Everton on Sunday is a more important game and also the players will be knackered after the international weekend. It also depends on the team that Anzhi put out (they won their last game 2-1 against Spartaz Moscow). My team would be

Jones,
Johnson, Carra, Coates, Enrique,
Henderson, Sahin, Shelvey,
Assaidi, Yesil and Downing.

Yesil is scoring regurlarly for the German U-19 team and is a better option than Morgan. I would also rest Allen and play Sahin.

RMP

TIA First Team
So would you swap Coates for Carra or Skrtel ?

Anthony

Wisdom, Carra, Coates, Enrique
Hendo, Shelvey, Sahin
Cole, Yesil, Assaidi

Bench: Agger, Sahin, Gerrard, Morgan, Downing, Gulasci

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Wisdom, Carra, Coates, Enrique
Hendo, Shelvey, Sahin
Cole, Yesil, Assaidi

Bench: Agger, Sahin, Gerrard, Morgan, Downing, Gulasci
I dunno bud, I really think we should field a keeper, things might get tricky otherwise.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
This is going to be a tough game, but we surely cannot risk Suarez. I'd stick him on the bench.

Jones
Johnson Coates Carragher Enrique
Henderson Allen Shelvey
Downing Morgan Assaidi
I'd go along these lines, but I'm not even sure that Johnson should play, after those internationals and a full match against Reading. If Flanagan is available, play him at RB.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
No mate, we'll play what's know as the 'false 1'.
Not familiar with that - is it the same as a rush goalkeeper where everyone rotates lol

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Jones
Wisdom Skrtel Coates Enrique
Hendo Sahin
Downing Shelvey Assaidi
Yesil

Subs: Gulasci, Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling, Suso, Carragher, Pacheco

Jones deserves another start irrespective of Pepe's fitness. I think Allen needs to be rested. Sahin and Hendo seem to be quite good together. Like others have mentioned, Sahin seems to take on a lot more responsibility when Gerrard isn't around. We'll need Shelvey for the goals. I'm not sure what I feel about Downing and Cole even being on the bench but alas, we really don't have many other choices and I think the balance of the team is better when we have a left footed player as part of the front three. Personally speaking, this is the last chance I will give Downing. I really wish he could prove me wrong with a good performance...it really is make or break. Worried about Carragher on Eto'o so I would rather we gave Skrtel a go partnering with Coates. Big guns will be on the bench just in case we need to call on them. We will need to win this game if we want to progress to the next stage.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Jones
Wisdom Skrtel Coates Enrique
Hendo Sahin
Downing Shelvey Assaidi
Yesil

Subs: Gulasci, Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling, Suso, Carragher, Pacheco

Jones deserves another start irrespective of Pepe's fitness. I think Allen needs to be rested. Sahin and Hendo seem to be quite good together. Like others have mentioned, Sahin seems to take on a lot more responsibility when Gerrard isn't around. We'll need Shelvey for the goals. I'm not sure what I feel about Downing and Cole even being on the bench but alas, we really don't have many other choices and I think the balance of the team is better when we have a left footed player as part of the front three. Personally speaking, this is the last chance I will give Downing. I really wish he could prove me wrong with a good performance...it really is make or break. Worried about Carragher on Eto'o so I would rather we gave Skrtel a go partnering with Coates. Big guns will be on the bench just in case we need to call on them. We will need to win this game if we want to progress to the next stage.
Don't mind this lineup at all,agree that Skrtel/Coates is the way to go CB.
I'd be worried about Carra and Etoo as well. Believe the other two are probably the best option, giving Agger a break.

Downing, well, seeing he is still here getting paid for nothing give him a chance to earn his keep :-)

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
I'd like to see

Jones
Wisdom Coates Carra Robinson
Hendo Allen
Shelvey
Downing Yesil Assaidi​

Bench: Gulacsi, Skrtel, Sahin, Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling, Pacheco​

Jones had an all-round impressive outing at the weekend, so should deserve to keep his spot. Johnson or Wisdom at RB is probably the first dilemna. I'd prefer Wisdom's solidity, if he's able to play 3 times a week. CB should be the usual Coates/Carra combination. At LB, Robinson probably very much deserves this spot as he was stand-out against City in the U21 last week.

The midfield trio is another conundrum, but Hendo surely must play ...and Shelvey must be odds-on too. That probably leaves the last choice between Allen and Sahin. I'd prefer Allen ...for more control, although Sahin has more of a goal threat.

Up top, I'd definitely like to see Assaidi and (probably) Yesil start. Tough call for RW - Downing for his experience and safe ball-retention, yet allied with little actual threat and his poor work-rate off-the-ball ...or give Pacheco a go there. Cole is another option (on paper) - but if Downing is poor ...what is Cole? I'd probably far prefer to have Morgan play RW (his role at U21) to seeing Cole on the pitch again.

I'd expect quite a few heavy-hitters on the bench to change things if needed, as we're at home. Everton away is far more important, but I do feel that we need to beat Anzhi (or at least draw) ...or else probably say goodbye to the Europa League. Really don't want to get knocked out in the Group Stage though, despite our very thin sqaud, as we need to keep blooding the likes of Coates, Robinson, Assaidi etc. None of these probably ready for the first team just yet, but not too far away either,and they do need these types of games to hopefully help them get there soon.

Chewbazza

True Believer
As has been said, the Everton game is the important one, and if as we shoudl, we play the youngsters, I can't see us getting a result from this one. Though it will be interesting to see how a Liverpool second string stacks up against the mega-rich Anzi