• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala 25th Oct 20.05

Colin

TIA First Team
Personally I think it is a smart move... if you can win this game, it will go a long way to confidence building and team building.
I'd much rather him get the win here and go into the weekend game on a high note than to "save" players and lose tonight and go in feeling defeated.

But then again... I think BR knows what he's doing and what his plans are and the state of the team better than those of us on here ... but I like him going for the win tonight.
Not sure where "going for the win" at home against a lesser side (no im not underestimating them!) and resting or even just bring a few players off at the 60 minute mark are mutually exclusive things.

Our second string beat the Young boys in a very impressive manner. I think we could have got the same result without the having Gerrard, Suarez etc on for 90 minutes. In fact, i know it. I think BR could have achieved the same without tiring those players.

We'll see how sunday goes. I hope to [email protected]@k im just being paranoid. But Everton are a difficult side and getting tired against them at the 60+minute mark at Goodison is not a good idea.

TTorroro

TIA Youth Team
Well a win's a win. I hope the lads are saving some of their energy and sharpness for the toffees

RedmondLFC

TIA Youth Team
Good win, I was very surprised at how deep Eto'o was playing. Not saying he played poorly in a more reserved position, but whenever I watched him at Inter or Barca he played off the last defender. Strange.

gr_sounder

Not sure where "going for the win" at home against a lesser side (no im not underestimating them!) and resting or even just bring a few players off at the 60 minute mark are mutually exclusive things.

Our second string beat the Young boys in a very impressive manner. I think we could have got the same result without the having Gerrard, Suarez etc on for 90 minutes. In fact, i know it. I think BR could have achieved the same without tiring those players.

We'll see how sunday goes. I hope to [email protected]@k im just being paranoid. But Everton are a difficult side and getting tired against them at the 60+minute mark at Goodison is not a good idea.
This is not necessarily a "lesser" side... this is a pretty damn good team with some really good players who are on form right now in their domestic league.

I hope you're paranoid too... and I can't imagine that this game will mean we're too tired come this weekend. If we had traveled to Moscow for this one then maybe you'd be right to worry about fatigue... but everyone will be in their own beds tonight... and no travel.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Would like to think that goes without saying!!

....but playing Gerrard and Suarez all game is hardly a smart move. We need to keep our PL form up.
What PL form would that be? Winning a cagey 1-0 against Reading........

Thinks BR has called it right tonight. Only thing that concerned me was Downing at LB and that nearly went tits up.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Good win and another clean sheet which is nice. Not our best performance by any means but we have been playing better but coming off the park after losing so this makes a nice change.

Anzhi are not a bad side as they showed in the second half - overall very well done and puts us in a good place in our group now.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Well, good win and cant believe we're top now, was worried if we lost this we may go out.

gr_sounder

Good win and another clean sheet which is nice. Not our best performance by any means but we have been playing better but coming off the park after losing so this makes a nice change.

Anzhi are not a bad side as they showed in the second half - overall very well done and puts us in a good place in our group now.
And I think the important thing is that we played better... and I hope that continues.
Top of the group for now... lets keep it going.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I thought it was common knowledge that a keeper have to have both hands on the ball to go unchallenge, with his body and the surface counting as a hand. Agger goal should not have been dissallowed by the ref.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
I thought it was common knowledge that a keeper have to have both hands on the ball to go unchallenge, with his body and the surface counting as a hand. Agger goal should not have been dissallowed by the ref.
That was what I thought as well.

MOTM: Assaidi, Skrtel, Wisdom, Sahin?

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
We are begining to win those "hard" games.

Last season or earlier this season we would have probably conceded a goal or even two

gr_sounder

The sad part about "common knowledge" is that it's often wrong, but so many people.
Sorry but the ref was correct in this... or more to the point... the ref was within his grounds to disallow it.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
[sub]To be honest, I wouldn't even play Gerrard on Sunday. He's been pretty ordinary to downright awful most of the season.[/sub]

Ataturk

★★★★★
Agger's goal should have stood, the keeper only had it in one hand.

I think now a win against Young Boys and one point from the other two away games and we'll be through.

Colin

TIA First Team
Agger's goal should have stood, the keeper only had it in one hand.

I think now a win against Young Boys and one point from the other two away games and we'll be through.
One hand on it is enough due to the new rules, actually.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Even if he didn't play that well for the whole match, even if he made mistakes that almost cost us...you have to consider the guy who scored the goal for MOTM when we win 1-0.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
The sad part about "common knowledge" is that it's often wrong, but so many people.
Sorry but the ref was correct in this... or more to the point... the ref was within his grounds to disallow it.

I can see how the ref could disallow it (although not to produce a yellow card). It has happened before and been allowed as the keeper did not have it in both hands. These days though, keepers get overprotected by refs, with what was, i believe, a change to the rules. This is seen by having it in writing (as was asked for)

http://www.fifa.com/...ct_en_47379.pdf

If you browse down to the goalkeeper offences bit it tells you that if a keeper has it held out in one hand it is in the keeper's possession. It then states that if an attacker takes the ball out of the keeper's possession it is a foul.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
He was holding it though like a waiter, no control over it.
If he didn't have control over it, it probably would of fell on it's own, not needing a head to knock it down, or at the very least be moving around in his palm which it wasn't.