• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala 25th Oct 20.05

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
[sub]To be honest, I wouldn't even play Gerrard on Sunday. He's been pretty ordinary to downright awful most of the season.[/sub]
I mostly agree with you except I didn't his performance was all that poor today. However, his impact in the offensive side of things has just diminished a lot. He still makes a few great cross field passes - one or two of which released Assaidi today. On the most part though, I think he isn't as used to playing the quick, neat passing game and so play breaks down quite often when he gets it in the final third. I would like to see Shelvey given more opportunity to play as the AM and also see Sahin given more chance to dictate the game. When Stevie plays, I get the feeling that both of these players have to let him do more things and it is sort of holding them back a bit because Stevie gets more of the ball and players back off to let him do more, when he isn't on the field, Shelvey and Sahin assert a lot more leadership and take the game by the scruff of the neck more.

Not saying that the captain has been horrible, just that he still seems to be struggling to find his best position in the system and at times, his reputation amongst his peers is probably making it harder for other midfielders to play their game to their highest potential.

gr_sounder

Show me the actual lettering of the law and I will believe you.
If you insist...

Interpretations of Law 12:

Offences committed by goalkeepers
A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more
than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface
(e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air
When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot
be challenged by an opponent.

Sorry folks, been a ref, coach, player and ref evaluator for way too long.
And, just in case someone thinks I made this up off the top of my head just to try and fake it... here is the link.
http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footballdevelopment/technicalsupport/refereeing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290868.html
Go to Law 12, and when you get there go to the PDF for Interpretation of the Laws of the Game - Law 12 and find the section for offenses committed by goalkeepers where it also defines the conditions under which a goalkeeper has possession.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
As shit as it is that a keeper can balance the ball on the palm of his hand and a player can't nick it off him, it does appear that the ref is right in this instance. Bollocks rule though.

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:

prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands​

Cautionable offences

A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following offences:

unsporting behaviour​

(From FIFA)

When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent.

Offences committed against goalkeepers

It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands​

A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it​

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
We might have to phone fifa to get answer to this.
If you insist...

Interpretations of Law 12:

Offences committed by goalkeepers
A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more
than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface
(e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air
When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot
be challenged by an opponent.

Sorry folks, been a ref, coach, player and ref evaluator for way too long.
And, just in case someone thinks I made this up off the top of my head just to try and fake it... here is the link.
http://www.fifa.com/...id=1290868.html
Go to Law 12, and when you get there go to the PDF for Interpretation of the Laws of the Game - Law 12 and find the section for offenses committed by goalkeepers where it also defines the conditions under which a goalkeeper has possession.
Offence commited BY goalkeepers, that a whole different matter as I see it.

We might have to write a letter to Fifa to get a clear answer :D

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Yeah something like that line up, maybe Cole and Downing in for Sahin and Shelvey.

If we lose this match, then we have no chance - we face Udinese and Anzhi away later, and think they will get first and second place.

Current
Anzhi Makhachkala 2 4
Udinese 2 4
Liverpool 2 3
Young Boys 2 0

Lose this game
Anzhi Makhachkala 3 7
Udinese 3 7
Liverpool 3 3
Young Boys 3 0
Well, bet you didn't see that happening. We top the group with a 1-0 win and a goal from Downing of all people (with his right foot as well). Clearly young Boys are not out of the equation too, there are still 3 games to play and anything can happen and today was a clear example. Well done lads, YNWA.

ras

Another clean sheet for Jones!
And was that a number 2 on Suarez's shirt?

TFC

TIA Squad Member
We might have to phone fifa to get answer to this.

Offence commited BY goalkeepers, that a whole different matter as I see it.

We might have to write a letter to Fifa to get a clear answer :D

The offense they are describing is the goalkeeper keeping control of the ball in his hands for more than 6 seconds. What you highlighted is just describing what defines control of the ball.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Happy Eid to Sahin and Assaidi -- some decent shifts put in today, well done

Wisdom really deserves a pat on the back, happy to see another clean sheet. Good work, reds!!!

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Not worthy of a post match thread then??

Great result, but once again failed to put the game to bed.

Assaidi was my MOTM. He's direct, quick and looks for the right ball.

The back 4 played well, especially Wisdom. Skrtel made some cracking blocks, Aggers cheeky goal was classic.

Glad to see Downing score, however he still had a poor game in my opinion. That ball across the goal was a shocker.

We didn't control the game in midfield as much as I'd have liked. Shelvey went off the boil quickly.

My biggest gripe with tonights game however is Suarez. He needs to pack in his moaning and arm waving sooner rather than later. When he focuses on his football rather than looking for freekicks or moaning he is world class. I think tonight he was the opposite. Lacked creativity, tried to do it all on his own, and got far too frustrated with himself and the referee.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Assaidi was the man of the match for me - he was the most creative player on the pitch and looked to make something happen every time he got the ball. Wisdom was brilliant too.

Downing's goal was brilliant, but fuck me if he didn't do his best to throw it away. Still a long way to go before he is a Liverpool player.

Very worried about Suarez. He's knackered and he needs a rest. He looks like he is running on fumes at the minute. Nothing came off for him tonight, hence the frustration. Haven't changed my opinion that he shouldn't have started, and I don't know why Rodgers didn't bring him off when it was obvious he was contributing nothing.

Sine

Satan's Junior Caddy
And that's why they call him Spitfire!

Stellas... sheilas... good to have Stevie warmed up before the weekend as Jagielka seems to be playing.

Good win. Millions? Mine.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Assaidi was the man of the match for me - he was the most creative player on the pitch and looked to make something happen every time he got the ball. Wisdom was brilliant too.

Downing's goal was brilliant, but fuck me if he didn't do his best to throw it away. Still a long way to go before he is a Liverpool player.

Very worried about Suarez. He's knackered and he needs a rest. He looks like he is running on fumes at the minute. Nothing came off for him tonight, hence the frustration. Haven't changed my opinion that he shouldn't have started, and I don't know why Rodgers didn't bring him off when it was obvious he was contributing nothing.
Not having any of that, sorry.
He's a 25 year old professional footballer, and he's played 12 games this season.

Sorry, cant be doing with any of this 'he's tired' bollocks.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
He's a 25 year old professional footballer, and he's played 12 games this season.

Sorry, cant be doing with any of this 'he's tired' bollocks.

He's a 25 year old footballer who has played practically non-stop for years for club and country, including at significant altitude during the most recent international break, all while caring the hopes and dreams of Liverpool Football Club on his shoulders, as well as being assaulted and abused in each domestic match that he plays while being burned in effigy by the English media.

Sorry, can't be doing with any of this 'he's not tired' bollocks.

You're right, he's not tired. He's probably fucking exhausted.

yiannos33

Believe
Good win tonight, and young boys did us a favor to go on top.
Motm Wisdom for me. Assaidi close second.

Alex_LFC

Hopefully Anzhi are impressed with Downing's display tonight and make a bid in January.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member

He's a 25 year old footballer who has played practically non-stop for years for club and country, including at significant altitude during the most recent international break, all while caring the hopes and dreams of Liverpool Football Club on his shoulders, as well as being assaulted and abused in each domestic match that he plays while being burned in effigy by the English media.

Ask him, or any other footballer with his work ethic, (hypothetically of course, because it's not like we can) if he's tired and wants a rest, and he'd probably tell you to get a grip.

Sine

Satan's Junior Caddy

Don't make a Messiah of him yet.... FA yet to crucify him.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Ask him, or any other footballer with his work ethic, (hypothetically of course, because it's not like we can) if he's tired and wants a rest, and he'd probably tell you to get a grip.
It's why Messi gets visibly angry every time he's substituted. There's many interviews where he goes on to say how he'd like to play every single game if possible. When you love playing, and are competitive, that's what you want to be doing. No one should want to be rested.

But I digest.

The main lesson I think we can take out of this is that Downing is clearly the best left back at the club and country.