• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala 25th Oct 20.05

redkingkenny

TIA Youth Team
On the whole we have to be happy that we beat the current Russian #1, although I wouldn't pay to watch that every week. We sat back too much at 1-0 for my liking and Suarez really took his foot off the gas.
Assaidi looks like a bargain, very lively last night taking players on, but he needs to get a better cross in or be prepared to have a shot himself, and there also needs to be someone in the box for him to aim at.
Downing makes a better LB than LW, I think we should give him a run there. Gerrard looked tired last night. I would have taken him off and given Henderson a run out. He's been better lately.
At the end of the day, we're top of the group. We need to beat Young Boys at home and try to get some away points and we'll be through.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Great result, thoroughly deserved, thought the defence was brilliant, so impressed with Wisdom, another fantastic performance from him,he is every bit as impressive as Suso and Sterling, an absolute star in the making. Agger and Skrtel were class aswell, they were both terrific. Also another solid game from Brad Jones and we at last seem to have a reliable option to Pepe.

Pleased for Downing, that was an excellent goal that will do wonders for his confidence and almost as pleased that he got away with that dreadful pass back to Jones. The only negative for me in the game was the performance of Suarez. When he goes down at the slightest touch and he clearly isn't fouled i don't like to see his continual moaning at the ref when he doesn't get awarded a free-kick, and he was rightly booked for dissent, he had a horrible game imo, continuely giving the ball away. He really needs to try and keep things simple sometimes and just keep possession.

Thought Assaidi looked really excellent, just what we need out wide, unpredictability, positivity, pace, skill, has the makings of a terrific player, must improve his end product though, hopefully we will see more of him in the coming games and that he will become a big part of the side.

All in all, i think we played really well, really enjoy watching the lads nowadays, let's hope for more of the same on sunday against the bitters.

Schudelfufli

Banned Users
Three clean sheets on the bounce now. Not a vintage performance but a nice European performance. Anzhi set out to do very little and offered surprisingly little on the counter. Assaidi was good - although at times I feel like he still plays a bit like Babel with his head up, but I think given a run of games his quality will come through.

Suarez needs a rest, ASAP. He's playing tired and behaving tired (petulant displays). He'll play against Everton, but I'd expect him to sit out the away leg at Anzhi.

Surprised with a match-winning goal from Downing on his right foot playing at left back. Sadly, that's probably the end of his contribution for this calendar year.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Find myself in unusual territory of agreeing with Dane and Eddie (its ok though Im about to grab a shower in a minute).

Understand the arguments over tiredness and what not but Rodgers is a former player whose career was ended by injury and has been a coach for 17 years, we havent long brought in one of the best fitness coaches around and we have a doctor who owns a snazzy blue suit and once battled Indianna Jones in The Temple of Doom.

Suarez is our only fit senior striker there is no way theyd risk him unless they thought it was safe.

Things I liked about the game:
Wisdom, Sterling, Assaidi and Jones
A clean sheet against a striker like Eto'o
A win against a newly formed super club
Top of the group

Things I found funny about the game:
Aggers cheeky goal (stupid rule change)
Having Zorro for a referee
Downing having 2 goals an 3 assists in Europe!!!

Things I didnt like about the game:
Suarez not just getting on with it
Only one goal
The ref playing advantage when Assaidi was taken out in the box even though Suarez had to commit a foul to try and get a second touch of the ball, define advantage for me?!?!?

Oh something else I found funny 4 foot 5 Sterling wining more headers than 12 foot Lacina Traore!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Good solid performance against a decent side. Wasn't surprised BR put out a strong team because since he played both Suarez and Gerrard against Hearts in the qualifier three days before Arsenal it's been pretty obvious he's taking the competition seriously. Reckon he quite fancied trying to put one over on Hiddink too.

Downing did well and it's a pity there are some who seem to be unable to give him any credit at all just because it's become fashionable to slag him off. All players are fair game and he deserves more stick than most but he's one of the reasons we're still in with a shout in this competition.

It's a tough call for BR when it comes to team selection, whether to rest players or try to maintain momentum with some good results which can help breed confidence. The squad is very thin and there are next to no attacking options other than Suarez. If he can stay in with a shout in all competitions by the time we get to January it'll definitely help boost his case for some decent funds to strengthen the squad, so I don't blame him for putting out the team that he did.

We looked more solid at the back last night than in most games this season and keeping clean sheets is a priority for me given I can't see us scoring a lot of goals without further reinforcements. A result against the Bitters on Sunday and things will definitely be looking up.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Downing's goal was a stunner, but I didn't feel he played particularly well apart from that, most notably in attack before he was switched to defence. But kudos for the goal, on his weaker foot as well.

Overall though I thought we did well, enjoyable game. Assaidi stood out for me, hopefully we'll see him get more regular starts now his fitness is sorted. Whole back five had very good games, hope Johnson was rested and didn't pick up a knock or anything.

A lot of positives, but as ever we're still lacking goals, hopefully something that will be addressed in a couple of months.

funkynoise74

Without trawling through all the pages, I have to say that Wisdom was once again very impressive. He has good strength and can play decent one touch football. It clearly showed in the second half that him and Sterling have played for a few seasons at U18 level as they seem to trust each other and know what each other is thinking.

There are clear signs that the controlling football that Rodgers likes is starting to take shape, Downing's pass across his own box aside, and when Lucas comes back, it will allow Allen and Sahin more freedom to play higher up the pitch and influence the attacking side of the game more.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Pretty good performance and a very good result.

We were impressive going forward but as usual lacked the cutting edge. I lost count of the number of times that players in excellent positions made the wrong choice or just had a weak attempt at goal. Sometimes it feels as if we're doing it on purpose.

Defensively though we're again unconvincing. After the goal we dropped back and invited pressure. Our midfield was bypassed with alarming ease a number times (a recurring theme in our season) and had it not been for the stellar performance of the backline we would have surely conceded.

Individually Assaidi was damn impressive, but needs to have an end product to his runs. Skrtel put in his best performance of the season and Wisdom was imperious at the right back. Sterling was also superb during his cameo, and Downing actually had a decent outing with the added bonus of a cracker goal. On the other end there were Gerrard and Suarez. I thought they both looked tired and even though they tried, they produced very little. On that note i do believe that Rodgers took a big gamble having them play for 90 minutes for a relatively small reward.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
S'disappointing that you won't actually engage me on the subject and prefer to joke it off, is all.
We were engaging, we disagreed with each other, I was tired, I cracked a joke, dont see how that is a problem.
It might surprise you to read this, but I've never tried to appease anyone to try and stop them ignoring my posts, and I'm not about to start now.

I enjoy the way you put your points across, whether I agree with them all or not.
You can either do likewise, or ignore. Either way is fine with me.

Anyway back to the game (and Suarez),
It was a very welcome result and the team had to work very hard to get it.
A bit of a stop and start kind of game with no real free flowing football for prolonged periods.
Wisdom was flawless, Assaidi had a very good game, Downings goal was a peach and bar one near miss with a back pass he did well enough.

Gerrard was awful and Suarez as usual showed glimpses of brilliance and worked his arse off for 90 minutes.
Lots of stuff he tried didn't come off, you say because of tiredness, I say because he can be very predictable at times and defenders are sometimes wise to him.

The running he did last night, right to the end, didn't look like the effort levels of a tired or exhausted man.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Whether or not he's tired now, playing him for 90 minutes in every game is going to burn him out well before the end of the season. I just hope we get someone in Jan to take the burden of being our only striker off his shoulders and allow him to be rested now and then.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Not having any of that, sorry.
He's a 25 year old professional footballer, and he's played 12 games this season.

Sorry, cant be doing with any of this 'he's tired' bollocks.
Yeah, yeah.

Others have already said why this is a ridiculously simple argument (the known effects of altitude, the rigours of three years of non stop football v it's bollocks)

What I'll say to add to the others is that Suarez was fucking abysmal last night. He continually lost the ball, couldn't beat a man, and missed several presentable chances.

What's more is he was frustrated, angry and argumentative throughout the match, culminating in getting booked for dissent.

And yet why know that he a fucking genius, who isn't comparable to any other player in the world. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that Diening was better than him last night.

Sorry Dane, but it isn't Bollock. Suarez needs a rest and if he doesn't get one soon he'll ick up an injury, like Lucas did last year in the same situation.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
When I see the highly qualified fitness and coaching staff taking the conscious decision to leave him out of any important games, then I'll concede that you and others may be right, until then I cant go along with 'player x is tired' 12 games into the season.
Didn't mean to offend with my bollocks comment, it's just the way us commoners talk :)

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
When I see the highly qualified fitness and coaching staff taking the conscious decision to leave him out of any important games, then I'll concede that you and others may be right, until then I cant go along with 'player x is tired' 12 games into the season.
Didn't mean to offend with my bollocks comment, it's just the way us commoners talk :)
Not being funny like but do we have a 'highly qualified fitness and coaching staff' at the club? It dosnt really sound like us, and when you see how quickly Lucas re-injured himself after his comeback when he maybe needed bleeding back in slowly, not to mention Borini and the broken foot debacle...

know we removed the old blokes we had before but it doesnt always follow the new lot will automatically be better, and Brukner was seen as a leader in his field. But even with him around, we were still using painkilling jabs and sacrificing the long term fitness of players in the interests of the short term, due in part to a wretched lack of trust and depth in certain areas of the team. How many quality or potential players have we crocked over the years and seen their careers shortened, it may not be as bad as the Phil Boersma as physio days but its not been too good really

The real reason why he played, and Gerrard, was because there was no one else bar the youth team strikers, and we know why that is. had we had a proper forward line with decent depth like that lot down the motorway, Suarez would have probably not played the league game on saturday and maybe only a half in this one, followed by a fresh 90 mins at Woodison

Think we could have risked a 30 on yesil. It could make a difference come sunday. Altitude football does take an enormous amount out of you, even for a tougher than average player like Luis and certainly for a ageing talisman like Gerrard hes been playing a lot of matches for a 32 year old with a chronic injury history

we have a lot of problems with squad management and usage and it has a lot to do with not being willing or able or ambitious enough to ensure our squad depth is adequate for a whole seasons campaigning on 3 or 4 fronts. been that way for too long, remembering Torres having to rotate with shite like Voronin or N'Gog...no wonder he was always injured, but at Chelsea they actually do have or have had other options, hey presto, no more injuries

past behaviour, actions and history erodes trust with these things, and the patterns are fairly blatant in the way they repeat when it comes to running quality in to the knackers yard through repeated over use. its what we have done for years and years and years and due to people not learning from the past, Rodgers has been shoved down the same old road again. Just hope hes a luckier manager than some of the others. With Suarez'z fitness his luck has held so far but could see a rage explosion or a snap of something coming a mile off. No doubt at all Gollum will be priming Sideshow Bob or one of his other lummoxes for Sunday to stick one on him, could even take one for the team with a red should the referees belatedly give him any protection, but it would completely stuff us till january, be well worth it for that bunch. No doubt about it

Arminius

FSG PR plant
We won, players didn't perform well enough, especially the seniors and stars. Too damn bad. I am hoping these guys turn up on Sunday. Oh to those who keep going on Suarez being tired. I think Messi too had not been rested for ages. The boy is still scoring for fun and running with the ball all the time. Can't question that fella's work rate either, but don't see him moaning about needing a break.
Messi being tired and over-used is a fixture of the Argentinian footy press. The story shows up every March.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Find myself in unusual territory of agreeing with Dane and Eddie (its ok though Im about to grab a shower in a minute).

Suarez is our only fit senior striker there is no way theyd risk him unless they thought it was safe.
Tell that to Lucas, and more recently Borini.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Downing's goal was a stunner, but I didn't feel he played particularly well apart from that, most notably in attack before he was switched to defence. But kudos for the goal, on his weaker foot as well.

Overall though I thought we did well, enjoyable game. Assaidi stood out for me, hopefully we'll see him get more regular starts now his fitness is sorted. Whole back five had very good games, hope Johnson was rested and didn't pick up a knock or anything.

A lot of positives, but as ever we're still lacking goals, hopefully something that will be addressed in a couple of months.
Absolutely; another 25 or so of those and 75 assists and he'll be in a position to call it quits. ;)

Another win and over the Russian equivalent of citeh can't be bad. The other highlight for me was in the second half when Stevie switched the play left to Assaidi and he totally bamboozled his marker with some sublime skill then drove into the box only to miscontrol when he was almost in. More of this please. The bamboozling part you understand, not the miscontrol bit..

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Messi being tired and over-used is a fixture of the Argentinian footy press. The story shows up every March.
Ah those media doctors..... what would one do without them? Arminius, you seriously take those guys words as Messi's or some qualified doc? The dude still scores for fun, ran riot against defence and make it to those International competition in one piece. Not sure I would take those press seriously. They just want their golden boy to be unused.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Ah those media doctors..... what would one do without them? Arminius, you seriously take those guys words as Messi's or some qualified doc? The dude still scores for fun, ran riot against defence and make it to those International competition in one piece. Not sure I would take those press seriously. They just want their golden boy to be unused.
How about the Argentinian fitness coach?

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/messi-is-tired-says-argentinas-fitness-coach

You are right though, they do want him completely fresh, which is just not realistic.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Tell that to Lucas, and more recently Borini.
Lucas was brought back very very slowly over pre season and those involved in that side of things have pretty much been replaced since. Borini was getting treated with kids gloves by us it was when Italy had him a niggle became a catastrophy.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Anyone else watch the match on Al Jazeera Sports?
Interesting what Ray Houghton had to say.

baxter

TIA Youth Team
Sorry mate, you're way off.

He hasn't had a full summer off in 3 years. He's played in the Copas, the World Cup, AND the Olympics. So yes, if he's a bit tired, it's justified because he is one of the only players that has the drive and determination to work his socks of every second of every game.

I'm sure any common man would love to trade their jobs and play for the team they love but until you've reached that level of fitness and play, you have no actual idea what playing 90 minutes of professional, competitive football actually does to your body — never mind doing it 3 days a week on top of 2 training sessions three to four days out of a week. You can't compare it to your own life and laugh it off as if playing competitively for 90 minutes is nothing because you really have no idea whatsoever.

Players do suffer from burn out — this is a scientific fact — and if we aren't careful, Suarez will be one of those players very soon, if not already.

You're not a footballer either, you're not our club doctor or Rodgers.

They wouldn't have played him if he was a risk. They know full well how important he is to our season.

Red Armada

TIA Regular

They wouldn't have played him if he was a risk. They know full well how important he is to our season.
Yeah right, because fuckups don't happen at Liverpool.

Mascot88

Admin
We've a demonstrable record of playing lads through tiredness and injury until something snaps.

We didn't need Suarez last night, and given the sluggish, lethargic performance he put in we'd have probably been better using Yesil and keeping Luis on the bench.

What I do find bemusing is since when has someone's experience, professionalism and career stopped us all thinking we know better? On Managers, owners and directors we've have all had plenty to say, but when it comes to the medical staff we've got to respect our betters?

Sine

Satan's Junior Caddy
Yeah something like that line up, maybe Cole and Downing in for Sahin and Shelvey.

If we lose this match, then we have no chance - we face Udinese and Anzhi away later, and think they will get first and second place.

Current
Anzhi Makhachkala 2 4
Udinese 2 4
Liverpool 2 3
Young Boys 2 0

Lose this game
Anzhi Makhachkala 3 7
Udinese 3 7
Liverpool 3 3
Young Boys 3 0
Sorries, I just couldn't help meself. :D

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
[font="Arial""]Suarez did look a little off last night and it could have been from exhaustion or maybe he was just having an off game.[/font]

[font="Arial""] [/font]

[font="Arial""]I agree with Dane that a lot of players seem to be able to cope with the hectic European, league, and international schedule just fine. I think it has to be addressed on a player by player basis. I'd think about resting Gerrard against Everton (he'd be pissed) as he has a history of breaking down. Suarez on the other hand still was able to turn defenders and dribble at players even late into the game, he just lacked some focus at times which is something that happens with him anyway regardless of how many games he’s played. [/font]

[font="Arial""] [/font]

[font="Arial""]The only issue with Suarez was the altitude he played at with Uruguay. That does take its toll on the body and he may still be adjusting. However, it's not really true that Suarez hasn't had a break in 3 years. He had a 9 game suspension that kept him out of play for over a month and half last season. That's as long of a break as players typically receive in an offseason.[/font]

Mascot88

Admin
I remember how we all thought Lucas was indestructible shortly before a mid week cup game.

gr_sounder

I remember how we all thought Lucas was indestructible shortly before a mid week cup game.
True, and while it is more likely to pick up an injury during a match due to the intensity of the match... it's also important to remember that anyone can pick up an injury at any time... even in training.

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team

That's too funny.. Clubs play players all the time that have high risks. It's the nature of the game, that's why they take injections etc. look at Lucas, he was a risk. He felt a tweak before the game and they risked him.

At the end of the day it's about getting 3 points and managing the players condition. Even though Suarez needs to be rested he won't be getting a lot of it until jan. cause of what FSG did last transfer window.

These are football players. Most play with injuries and niggles. They aren't ballerinas.