• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala 25th Oct 20.05

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Anzhi actually doing very very well this season. Will be hard to see anything but a hard fought draw being likely.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Not many calls for Joe Cole. Has he been forgotten or excluded on purpose?

Thought he looked lively the other day when he came on as sub.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
I wish Cole had been forgotten to be honest, but while he is still here we could use him for a few minutes near the end. Very tough game, where we will have to be at our best to get something, and if we don't we will probably go out which may please some, but not me.
Goodison could be a humble place this next weekend.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Anzhi actually doing very very well this season. Will be hard to see anything but a hard fought draw being likely.

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Anzhi are impressive this season. Quality throughout their squad. They are like the likes of Zenith a few years ago. They must be counted among the favourites to lift that EL Cup at the end of the season.[/background][/font]

kylel39

Never bite the hand that feed's you.......Luis
A few very tough calls for selecting a team for this one. I like cardiffpete's team but I'd make a few changes.

Jones

Flannagan Carra Coates Robinson

Henderson Allen Shelvey​

Assaidi Yesil Pacheco

Jones has impressed me massively this season. He seems to have improved a huge amount and looks a much better keeper than when he first arrived. It's like Rodgers has instilled confidence in him and I love his attitude towards training, the fans etc. I don't think he'll ever knock Reina off his perch but another good performance here and I'd think it's fair to say the pressure would be on. He'd certainly be looking over his shoulder.

I don't know if Flanno is match fit yet but if so then he probably deserves a shot and it's a fine opportunity to give Wisdom a break. Carra and Coates is the usual CB combination and as many have said Robinson deserves his chance.

Midfield I think is nailed on to be that. Henderson and Shelvey definitely and I can see Allen in there just for his defensive qualities which the other two maybe lack.

I'd look to give Yesil the nod up top. For me at the minute he's got much more to his game than Morgan does and he's in a rich vein of goal scoring form. From what I've seen, he's quite a clever striker and can link up play well. Morgan for me at the minute needs to round his game more and learn to play that role which will inevitability be asked of him. I think that's why he's playing at RW for the 21's at the minute. I'd give Pacheco the nod as he quietly goes about training and works hard. I think he played well the last game he played for us as the WF so I'd have no fear in starting him over Cole or Downing as we surely know by now what those two offer - maybe Cole has one last chance to surprise us but I can't see it. Assaidi certainly on the other side as he looks like an excellent signing and talent. I think if we get another good game out of him here, he'll certainly be pushing Suso (more so)/Sterling for one of those WF roles.

It'll be a tough game with the squad and manager they've assembled but I'll hope for win and a good performance. Not least because I've got a lovely 5 hour drive each way to make this match - Friday morning will be fun at work :mellow:

I'll try a 3-1 or 3-2 win.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Yep, don't even bother with Downing being in the 11 in this one. We all know what we're going to get from him. Much prefer your front three of Osama Yesil Pach.

Fingers crossed.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Think we need to win this and the next home game to ensure we get through to the knock out stages. We need a good run in Europe. If we get far in this we will come up against the CL group 3rd placed teams and that will be a good test. We want to make it back into the CL so I don't think this competition can be taken lightly. It brings with it experience for our young squad, big match day revenue, our name back in Europe which is important for attracting new talent, espeically in Janurary when we'll be shopping for a striker or two.

Go strong.

-------------------Jones----------------------
Johnson - Carra - Coates - Enrique
------Henderson - Sahin----------
-----------------Shelvey-----------------
Suso------------Yesil--------------Assaidi

Subs - Reina, Allen, Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling, Downing, Agger

I would rather have Skrtel or Agger partner Coates but don't see that happening with the Everton game due.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Think we need to win this and the next home game to ensure we get through to the knock out stages. We need a good run in Europe. If we get far in this we will come up against the CL group 3rd placed teams and that will be a good test. We want to make it back into the CL so I don't think this competition can be taken lightly. It brings with it experience for our young squad, big match day revenue, our name back in Europe which is important for attracting new talent, espeically in Janurary when we'll be shopping for a striker or two.
While I would like to see us get further, I think what we will end up getting from the EL this year is a lesson in focus for a young squad. That fifteen minute lapse versus Udinese will have made it very difficult for us to get through.

Liverpaul_FC

TIA Reserve Team
-------------------------Jones---------------------------
--Wisdom-------Carra-----Coates--------Enrique--
-------------------------Hendo----------------------------
----------------Shelvey---------Sahin-------------------
--Downing-------------Yesil----------------Assaidi---

Subs: Gulacsi, Skrtel, Robinson, Gerrard, Cole, Pacheco, Suarez

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
I think we need to give Joe Cole a few minutes in this game, hopefully he can do something special and then one of the Russian League teams will make us an offer for him ;) though Joe might have trouble commuting from London to Moscow

Keep an eye on Mbark Boussoufa. This guy is the original Oussama Assaidi....he is absolutely magical on the ball. No idea what his current form is like but he's one of these players I wish wasn't playing in Russia so I could see more of him (not that I could see much of him at Anderlecht to begin with).

One of the perks of having a big English club in the Europa League is the fact these games are often broadcast on cable TV (in the States) and offer the only real chance to watch live matches featuring clubs outside your usual "big 5" leagues. Doesn't matter to people like Howling Fantodd, who once told me this was Europe's equivalent of the college basketball's "NIT" tournament and filled with such shite that it's not worth watching (a feeling many others share), but there are many quality players (if not quality teams) worth watching just for armchair scouting purposes.

This then allows you to achieve DaggerToMyHeart levels of scouting knowledge, something I'm clearly channeling by calling out Boussoufa as if I've actually seen him in more than 2 games (I haven't).

kwala

TIA Regular
-------------------------Jones---------------------------
--Wisdom-------Carra-----Coates--------Enrique--
-------------------------Hendo----------------------------
----------------Shelvey---------Sahin-------------------
--Downing-------------Yesil----------------Assaidi---

Subs: Gulacsi, Skrtel, Robinson, Gerrard, Cole, Pacheco, Suarez
Bin Downing, and put Suso in, and it should be a good watch.

Sine

Satan's Junior Caddy
Yeah something like that line up, maybe Cole and Downing in for Sahin and Shelvey.

If we lose this match, then we have no chance - we face Udinese and Anzhi away later, and think they will get first and second place.

Current
Anzhi Makhachkala 2 4
Udinese 2 4
Liverpool 2 3
Young Boys 2 0

Lose this game
Anzhi Makhachkala 3 7
Udinese 3 7
Liverpool 3 3
Young Boys 3 0
So if we lose Udinese will get 3 points as well? I can't keep up with all these changes Michel!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Hmmm bearing in mind were we are struggling due to tiredness and who played v Reading and who will play against Everton my guess on the team will be:

Jones
Wisdom, Carra, Coates, Robinson
Henderson, Sahin
Shelvey
Suso, Yesil, Pacheco

Subs; Gulacsi, Skrtel, Johnson, Allen, Gerrard, Assaidi/Sterling, Morgan/Cole

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Holy crap. I just remembered that Hiddink is the manager of Anzhi.

I am now much less confident that we can win this game playing a second string team — although admittedly, they have performed well in the away games they've been given opportunities.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
-------------------------Carragher---------------------------
--Carragher-------Carragher-----Carragher--------Carragher--
-------------------------Carragher----------------------------
----------------Carragher---------Carragher-------------------
--Carragher-------------Carragher----------------Carragher---

OhYaBeauty

-------------------------Carragher---------------------------
--Carragher-------Carragher-----Carragher--------Carragher--
-------------------------Carragher----------------------------
----------------Carragher---------Carragher-------------------
--Carragher-------------Carragher----------------Carragher---
In your dreams!

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Holy crap. I just remembered that Hiddink is the manager of Anzhi.

I am now much less confident that we can win this game playing a second string team — although admittedly, they have performed well in the away games they've been given opportunities.
Lass Diarra will miss both the back-to-back legs with a knee ligament tear (month out), so that makes me far more confident already. I think the key is to nullify Traore (their Crouch lookalike in attack) and especially Eto'o and we should do well on the night. These 2 being their main goal threats. They do have defensive solidity with Samba and Carlos at CB and an attacking full-back in Zhirkov, plus the wily Hiddink as manager - so to win we still need to play very well, but it's not mission impossible for our second string by any means I'd feel.

We will still field some real (potential) quality aka Coates, Robinson, Assaidi, Hendo,Yesil (maybe), etc ...and all are internationals, and mostly at senior level. It's not like it's just the kids up against a top-team. Yes, Anzhi have won 7 on the bounce in their domestic league, but losing Diarra (their DM and who has been ever-present) is simply a massive blow for them. They also play Ruben Kazan away on Sunday, where we can more easily have the likes of Suarez and Gerrard on the bench, if needed, as our away match is just across Stanley Park.

I did think that our first-half display against Udinese was simply superb, lacking only in goals. Any team playing 4-3-3, the main reason they shed goals is usually lack of concentration and we then shipped 3. We might still conceivably lose out in the group to Anzhi/Udinese, but I'd feel that that would be despite our second-string more than holding their own against these types of teams. The problem with this Group seems to be that Young Boys are there for the taking, so the other results become even more crucial, making it even more of a mini-league than it already was. We probably do need to win Thursday.

Nemanja

TIA New Signing
Looking forward to this one. Would want to see Yesil and Shelvey ( i really enjoy watching Shelvey this season, he is forming into a proper player ), and Hendo. Also hoping to see Carra vs. Etto, to see if he still got it. And Assaidi.

Come to think of it i enjoy our Europa League campaign, Rodgers made a nice depth of the squad and our usual bench players show so much potential, so you just sit back enjoy and watch them becoming a future spine of Liverpool FC .

I got shivers thinking of it, YNWA !!!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Ok. I'm going with this.

----------------Jones----------------
Wisdom-Carra-Coates-Enrique
------Henderson Shelvey--------
-----------------Suso-----------------
---Downing---Yesil---Assaidi---

Don't want Suarez, Gerrard, Johnson, Sterling or Allen anywhere near this. All looked utterly fucked in the second half against Reading.

OhYaBeauty

Ok. I'm going with this.

----------------Jones----------------
Wisdom-Carra-Coates-Enrique
------Henderson Shelvey--------
-----------------Suso-----------------
---Downing---Yesil---Assaidi---

Don't want Suarez, Gerrard, Johnson, Sterling or Allen anywhere near this. All looked utterly fucked in the second half against Reading.
I like that, but I worry we won't have enough there to get a goal. Their central defenders are pretty solid, so we might need to put in Suarez to get one. Maybe for just the second half? And Downing is worthless, how about Pacheco?

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
This is going to be a very hard game. Personally, concentrate on the Bitters and i'll take a draw thank you.

InFrontOfTheKop

My team
Jones​
Wisdom Coates Carra Robinson​
Henderson​
Shelvey Allen​
Cole Yesil Downing​

Allen to be subbed off after an hour as he will he a sure start against Everton. I'd like to see Morgan and Pacheco come on as well. Predicting a 3-1 win for the Reds here.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Will be hard but we are going to give nothing less than 120%...take it or leave it..all or nutin.

And here's hoping someone other than Gerrard or Suarez scores for once...we are too dependent on both of them.
Let's hope so, as I hope Gerrard and Suarez don't play.

I think Joe Cole get's time in this, maybe even a start.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Anyone think there's a possibility of Coady featuring in this game?

InFrontOfTheKop

He hasn't appeared in any of the squads of late, but it would certainly be an intriguing move from Rodgers if he chose to involve him. As long as we're giving our youngsters chances to shine, surely he's earned himself an opportunity?

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
I watched this lad quite a bit and last season he plataeued off worryingly. He's done OK this season, but was very loose in possession against Man City last week, and gave the ball away needlessly numerous times - one such loss led directly to a goal. Nowhere near ready yet for me, and with our current set of midfielders he's going to find it very hard to get any first team action IMO.

Personally I think Roddan has been better this season, but I'm not sure if he is training with the first team squad or not?

haakeye

Banned Users
Wont be a strong team i know with the derby coming up .we Need a good bench though maybe suarez and stevie on there .

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I watched this lad quite a bit and last season he plataeued off worryingly. He's done OK this season, but was very loose in possession against Man City last week, and gave the ball away needlessly numerous times - one such loss led directly to a goal. Nowhere near ready yet for me, and with our current set of midfielders he's going to find it very hard to get any first team action IMO.

Personally I think Roddan has been better this season, but I'm not sure if he is training with the first team squad or not?
is it a case of stagnating though?

i read that sterling stagnated last season, i think it was sweeting who summerized it.

maybe he just needs first team football?

i dont know, just throwing that out there....

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Sterling definitely didn't stagnate, he was the best player in the side all year pretty much, barring a few odd average games.