• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala 25th Oct 20.05

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
Rumored lineup:

Jones - Wisdom Agger Skrtel Johnson - Gerrard Shelvey Sahin - Aisaddi Downing Suarez

OhYaBeauty

Its a grainy pic but the facial features didn't look like Eto'o which is why I asked

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Rumored lineup:

Jones - Wisdom Agger Skrtel Johnson - Gerrard Shelvey Sahin - Aisaddi Downing Suarez
Wow, that's a strong line-up.

Guardian also now has (as likely)
Liverpool probable (4-3-3) Jones; Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Robinson; Shelvey, Gerrard, Sahin; Downing; Suárez, Assaidi.
Anzhi Makhachkala probable (4-4-2) Gabulov; Logashov, Samba, João Carlos, Gadzhibekov; Agalarov, Boussoufa, Shatov, Zhirkov; Eto'o, Traoré.

Robinson must surely start though. No line-up debates (or BR including certain first-teamer's). Robbo must start, based on outstanding performances for U21 (and in League Cup and in Europa League). Whatever else happens, Robbo must surely start (for me). Only maybe he doesn't start. GTF and WTF, if true.

The only discrepancy between yours and the Guardian's Starting XI otherwise is Robbo versus Wisdom. Would be almost a mindf**k though, if our midfield trio were to be Gerrard-Sahin-Shelvey. No DM at all, no defensive solidity aka no Hendo and no Allen . Very hard to believe. It might work, or we could get simply annihilated through the middle. A very bold move, if true

1dragon

TIA Regular
My only worry of Robinson starting is that they would keep putting crosses over to his side for Eto'o and Traore to attack, knowing Robinson's weakness in the air.

If the rumoured lineup is true, I can understand Rodgers' idea as this is a game which we can ill afford to lose. Coupled with the fact that it is a home game, there is no travelling time involved and it will do the fans injustice to see a largely second string side come out.

Still, I agree with cardiffpete on starting at least one of Henderson or Allen to instill more tactical discipline into the midfield. Although Sahin can perform the job, that will nullify his runs into the box which we will need in this match. Anzhi are likely to attack down the flanks though, so if we can play our game and not concede possession easily, we might be able to get a result.

SF Red

TIA Regular
I would not start Allen - he looked really tired for the second half of the last match. IMO he needs a match off. I would start Henderson as he has played well with Sahin in midfield and put Shelvey in front.

BR may be banking on their midfield being weakened as Las Diarra is out, [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Jucilei is out - 2 of their first choice midfielders. I do think this is a risk as I think the derby is more important. [/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I don't think our second string midfield is bad at all (Sahin, Henderson, Shelvey). I would also not play Agger and Glen Johnson as we need them fit for the weekend. [/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I think the fans are just as excited about the second team as the first team right now - less pressure, more fun. The fans seem much more positive when the second team is playing.[/background]

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Rumored lineup:

No Pacheco? Is he able to play in Europe this season? I seem to recall him not being registered.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Based on some of the recent rumoured XI, Rodgers is signalling that if we are to get points against Anzhi, it might as well be at home. If we get all three, then our true first XI can stay home from Moscow.

If we only get 1 or 0 points, then that Moscow game becomes more important.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Based on some of the recent rumoured XI, Rodgers is signalling that if we are to get points against Anzhi, it might as well be at home. If we get all three, then our true first XI can stay home from Moscow.

If we only get 1 or 0 points, then that Moscow game becomes more important.
Yep.

Anzhi play down in Dagestan. Which is to say one of the worst places to live on the globe.

alaskared

Kloppite
Respect to them for paying their respects to the 96.
We should put out a strong team, I agree with the idea that points here mean possibilty of resting players instead of flying halfway around the globe. In it to win it. I have a hard time seeing us go top 4 this year........... Europa League should be a priority.
This looks like it will be a difficult game, time for some steel at the back.

As an aside, I really don not like our third kit, I especially don't like to see at Melwood or in Anfield press conferences.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Here is an interesting article on Anzhi from the beeb:

Europa League: Anzhi Makhachkala's Russian revolution

By Sam SheringhamBBC Sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20050350

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE GROUP A: LIVERPOOL V ANZHI MAKHACHKALA
  • Venue: Anfield
  • Date: Thursday 25 October
  • Kick-off: 20:05 BST
Coverage: BBC Radio 5 live and BBC Sport website

A recent television show on French channel M6 offered an insight into why little-known Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala is proving such a draw with some of the world's top players.
Entitled "the dream life of Samuel Eto'o", the programme followed the Cameroon striker and his architect as he sized up a potential new apartment in downtown Moscow.

http://news.bbcimg.c...g/_63675970_eto
Eto'o joined Anzhi from Inter in August 2011

Eto'o, the highest paid player on the planet who is reported to be on £350,000 per week, nodded approvingly at the private lift, 360 degree views, sauna and swimming pool before baulking at the size of the wall-mounted television in his living room.

A brief exchange follows in which Eto'o makes it clear that he wants a screen at least three metres wide, prompting the documentary-makers to ask who will pay the bill. "I will, then the club will pay me back," is the player's matter-of-fact reply.

Last year's capture of former Barcelona and Inter Milan striker Eto'o, a three-time Champions League winner and still only 30 at the time, was the moment the world woke up to the revolution taking place in a region of southern Russia better known for poverty and violence.

Since they were taken over by local billionaire Suleiman Kerimov in January 2011, Anzhi have splashed out more than £110m to bring in the likes of former Brazil left-back Roberto Carlos - now the club's team director - ex-Chelsea full-back Yuri Zhirkov, former Arsenal and Real Madrid midfielder Lassana Diarra and ex-Blackburn defender Christopher Samba.

Under the astute management of veteran Dutch coach Guus Hiddink, the club, who were in the Russian second tier as recently as 2009, have climbed to the top of the Premier League after 12 games and are unbeaten in this season's Europa League going into Thursday evening's group game with Liverpool at Anfield.

Congolese defender Samba, who was linked with moves to Tottenham and Arsenal before plumping for the Russian side, rejects the idea that players are purely motivated to join the club for monetary gain.

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)] Anzhi's big buys[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[/background]​
  • [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]£23.7m Samuel Eto'o from Inter[/background]
  • [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]£15.8m Lacina Traore from Kuban Krasnodar[/background]
  • [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]£13.2m Yuri Zhirkov from Chelsea[/background]
  • [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]£12.3m Christopher Samba from Blackburn[/background]
  • [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]£12.3m Balazs Dzsudzsak from PSV[/background]
  • [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]£8.8m Jucilei from Corinthians[/background]
  • [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]£7m Mbark Boussoufa from Anderlecht[/background]
"This is a very ambitious club and we have attracted a lot of players," Samba, 28, told BBC Sport. "This is not just about money - this is a proper sports project.

"People don't come here just to chill and win a pay cheque. We are putting in a shift on the pitch and at the moment it's working."

Founded in 1991, Anzhi had yo-yoed between the Russian first and second divisions before Kerimov's takeover.
The billionaire, who made his fortune from potash and gold, was granted control of the club by the president of Dagestan in exchange for a commitment to regenerate a region where violent clashes involving insurgents, criminal gangs and local police are a regular occurrence.

The volatility means players such as Eto'o and Samba live and train in Moscow before flying 1,250 miles to Dagestan for home games in their rickety 16,000-seat stadium in Makachkala.

"It's not a problem because the club puts you in the best conditions," says Samba. "It's a two-hour first-class flight.
"We are trying to improve the connection with the region by spending more time there and doing a little bit more with the population and the fans. This will come in time."

Igor Rabiner, author of several books on Russian football, says the Anzhi story is as much about football as it is about social change.

"Kerimov will take an active part in the building of a new city just outside Makhachkala, where the club will compete in a new 45,000-seat stadium," he says.

"They want to build artificial pitches all over the region and set up Anzhi academies for local kids. They want to change the image of the region."

Anzhi's meteoric rise has fostered resentment among their rivals. When they took on Dutch side AZ Alkmaar in the Lokomotiv Stadium in August, fans of Moscow clubs turned up in force to chant nationalist abuse at the Anzhi players and booed the Lokomotiv club president when she took her seat in the stands.

When Russia played Serbia last August at the same stadium, Zhirkov's every touch was booed by supporters resentful of his decision to spurn the Moscow clubs in favour of Anzhi's advances.

"Anzhi are hated by other fans, especially by radical fans of the Moscow clubs and Zenit St Petersburg," says Rabiner.
"It's like a mixture of national hate and financial hate. Anzhi represents the Caucasus mountains and the south of Russia - and there is very little warmth towards them from Russian nationalists."

Anzhi's impressive performances this season have done little to endear them to their rivals and suggest Liverpool are in for a tough assignment.

They have scored 24 goals in 12 league games, beating Dinamo Moscow and Spartak Moscow in their last two outings to move two points clear of CSKA.

Eto'o has scored 14 times in all competitions while Samba has marshalled a defence that has conceded only once in eight Europa League games.

The former Ewood Park favourite is happy for the resentment to continue as long as the team keeps up its winning momentum.

"We are unpopular because people can't understand how a club that won the second division [three years ago] are now title contenders," adds Samba.

"But there are billionaires everywhere. Look at Manchester City. Did they achieve something? Yes, they became champions. What about Chelsea? Did they become a big club? Yes.

"People have to accept that we are here and we are going to fight to stay where we are."

Eto'o on 350'000 a week...

I hope we stuff them tonight, if only because of this.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Would really rather not risk starting Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling etc for this one

the league this year is looking a bit of a potholed journey with the next 3 games all very loseable, which could leave us in quite a bit of schtuck. If it means this competition is sacrificed, to ensure we keep our best players available for the crucial league encounters, then its no real skin off our arse

it will be though if our players exhaust themselves tonight and get turned over by everton on Sunday, pinging us back to square one again

fixture list exposes our squad as way too thin for 4 competitions. it shouldnt have had to be this way. It doesnt impress me really but the league has to take priority, as much as anything because the past years league form has been so bad, we really dont want that continuing up to and beyond the new year as we could run in to rather major problems if we arent careful

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Rich the match is at home and we have really got to give it a go to win and get back on top.

I know we have such a thin squad which is totally by design of our leadership regardless of what the press or some say.

So, it's not a good idea to keep our best out of this crucial home match when this might be a great way tor our players to have a chance at European glory, and for all of us who enjoy playing in Europe to have some excitment while this painful rebuilding is going on.

As far as pinging us back to square one, I think we still are, and we will be in square 1 for most of this season in the PL (I hope for the opposite of course).

Lastly, there's something psychological about going on a run, any run.

Let's get a goal or two up and rest Luis/Stevie. But let's get another victory at Anfield. The players really need it. Imagine we get ridiculed at home today. Settling in square one would certainly feel like it's real, and going to Goodison with our heads down could be worse than being a little tired.

If I could I would buy your a pair of tix (air + Anfield) Rich to enjoy your favorite competition :)

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Thing is I have this sixth sense that 2 or 3 players may be pushing their luck fitness wise. Sterling seems pretty strong for his age but suarez looked dead on his feet last week and Gerrard, well, we know how his fitness has been these past few years. hes also been our main man against everton in recent years, regardless of his form elsewhere, would much rather hold him back for that one as they are terrified of him

Its the same feeling I got when we played Lucas in that carling cup game where he wrecked his knee

its getting a bit dodgy the schedule for some of our leading lights, and think there may have to be some prioritisation now

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Rich I agree. I'm torn though.

I saw the Arsenal match and their beloved fans walking out early, along with many of their players' heads down. They are headed towards a meeting with bad karma or a hurtful free-fall.

We are already in shaky grounds as far as morale. We just had a great result, and would love to have the needed run.

Maybe the compromise would be for Luis to start, get his goal or assist, and come off around 55 mins. And if Stevie's not needed, don't start him.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Thing is I have this sixth sense that 2 or 3 players may be pushing their luck fitness wise. Sterling seems pretty strong for his age but suarez looked dead on his feet last week and Gerrard, well, we know how his fitness has been these past few years. hes also been our main man against everton in recent years, regardless of his form elsewhere, would much rather hold him back for that one as they are terrified of him

Its the same feeling I got when we played Lucas in that carling cup game where he wrecked his knee

its getting a bit dodgy the schedule for some of our leading lights, and think there may have to be some prioritisation now
I agree completely with this. I think Suarez, Gerrard, Allen, Johnson and Sterling are really close to picking up a muscle strain or hammy.

I'd be amazed if Suarez played as he looked to be visibly struggling on Saturday, after coming back from a gruelling international break.

I hope I'm wrong but I could really see this going tits up in a quite spectactular way - and when it comes to strikers we don't have any wriggle room at all.

I don't want to go into the Derby with Yesil or Morgan leading the line.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I am optimistic for tonight.......I dont think this lot will travel well and will not have experienced a game at our majestic arena. But I expect it will be close come the 90th.

All those weary of Eto, just remember he can be absolutely awful as well, and hopefully our fans will steer him that way again. Biggest problem is Hiddink - one master tactician there. Where is Rafa when you need him, now there's a better tactician.

I must disagree with Rich, but see his point on the squad thinness. Problem is LFC must always be competitive in all competitions - and I think BR will see it that way too. We'll have to deal with the next match after this one!

Big game for Jonjo tonight - come on you reds!!!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think we have good enough options in defence and midfield to pretty much rest all our top players and still have a real good team tonight.

Jones will be in goal with Reina injured.

In wide attack we have options even if I dont like them all; Assaidi, Downing, Cole, Pacheco and there are kids from the academy too.

In centre forward though its difficult we have Suarez or we put faith in one if Yesil (more likely) or Morgan.

So far Rodgers Modus Operandi has been 4-6 senior players and the rest the fringe players in the home Europa league games.

I personally would trust the second sgring they aint let us down yet but dont think Rodgers will.

Be really interesting seeing the line up tonight.

frugtkompot

TIA Reserve Team
Our senior players should be capable of playing twice a week. Why else do we crave a return to Champions League? So that we can field our B-team in one of our almost-every-week-two-games? Nah.

If you look around all the participants in Champions League this season, they're playing to full strength - or close to it - in both games. It does require some depth to rotate the key players, but many are expected to play twice. it should be no different at Liverpool.

It may be the Europa League, but there's hunger in our players and fans, and we do need to perform here. It'll give us some amazing matches if we make it to the play-offs, where we'll be joined by the 3rds from Champions League.

The problem isn't that Suarez can't play twice a week. The problem is that he has no backup, so if he is unlucky, we are in serious trouble. Still, I'm sure if you ask Suarez, he'd tell you he definetely wants to play. He's just the kind of character that wants to play every single match.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Our senior players should be capable of playing twice a week. Why else do we crave a return to Champions League? So that we can field our B-team in one of our almost-every-week-two-games? Nah.

If you look around all the participants in Champions League this season, they're playing to full strength - or close to it - in both games. It does require some depth to rotate the key players, but many are expected to play twice. it should be no different at Liverpool.
Unfortunately we have no depth at all

Man u have Rooney, RVP, Hernandez and Welleck by comparison. Thats 4 blokes who can play up front, they can rotate and they do rotate

we need more players, but in the meantime we may have to look after the ones we have better. The suarez situation on Sunday was far from ideal, at a club with a bigger squad, like Man u , he would not have played, but with us he had to

but thats a league game, think a EL game registers a lot lower on the priority scale

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Unfortunately we have no depth at all

Man u have Rooney, RVP, Hernandez and Welleck by comparison. Thats 4 blokes who can play up front, they can rotate and they do rotate

we need more players, but in the meantime we may have to look after the ones we have better. The suarez situation on Sunday was far from ideal, at a club with a bigger squad, like Man u , he would not have played, but with us he had to

but thats a league game, think a EL game registers a lot lower on the priority scale
I agree - we don't have the squad to compete in this competition as well.

I'd rather we just fuck it off and concentrate on the league and domestic cups.