• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala 25th Oct 20.05

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
You're right. I take it back.

He's worse than that.
I find this quite offensive. First you refer to Stewart Downing as 'Downing Syndrome' and then when I point out that that is in poor taste you make the situation even worse. Seriously, those with family members or friends who have Downs Syndrome won't see the Downing comment how you do, and the fact that even when the offence it can cause is pointed out to you, you continue is bad business IMO.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Will be interesting to see how the team sets up tactically. Going up against Hiddink is always a game of chess. This is almost like a champions league fixture.
The players they have along with their manager its exactly like a Champions League game. Id actually say Cluj, Braga and Galatasaray are an easier group than Anzhi, Udinese and Young Boys. The Europa League really doesnt get the credit it deserves.

haakeye

Banned Users
Its a shame but I wouldn't even entertain the idea of playing Luis, we need to keep him fit for the majority of the season espcially until January. the good thing about him is he hardly ever gets injured but I suppose I want him fresh for Sunday.
sssshhh dont jinx him

NeverWalkedAlone

TIA New Signing
I find this quite offensive. First you refer to Stewart Downing as 'Downing Syndrome' and then when I point out that that is in poor taste you make the situation even worse. Seriously, those with family members or friends who have Downs Syndrome won't see the Downing comment how you do, and the fact that even when the offence it can cause is pointed out to you, you continue is bad business IMO.
Offensive is a word used far too often these days. It's a joke in poor taste. In my mind, no one could even laugh at a joke in such poor taste and thus the only purpose is to entice a reaction. Simply avoid it or at least allow someone who may have a family member or dear friend that suffers from downs syndrome bring it to the attention of the mods as they have more of a case for being 'offended'.

Let us stay on topic though.

Do you boys not feel that this game would possibly heap too much pressure on young Yesil? I think against such stiff competition and with it being a match we'll need to win to give us a real shot of progressing in this competition (which doing well in all competitions should always be our goal) Suarez has to be the man. He loves to play, the derby is on Sunday, and this game is at Anfield. There are enough reasons to put a proven goal-scorer on the pitch in Suarez.

OhYaBeauty

I'm betting that was a saved image. Maybe even a photo of a nice painting he had hanging in his house.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
...okay.

Sooooo. Back on topic (because what happened above isn't even worth talking about...):

Who here thinks that it makes sense to field a strong side? I was one of those people who said they would have named a weaker but keep the big guns on the bench but I think we might actually be underestimating Anzhi. I think Pascoe said that they have only lost one game in their last 21 games or something to that effect. To be honest, most of us probably have been saying what we have because we aren't taking the Europa league very seriously AND because most of us aren't even familiar with our opponents.

If Anzhi are really a club heading to the CL next season, I think they will ask many questions of us unless we put the game to bed early. I am in favor of resting Gerrard and playing a Henderson, Sahin, Shelvey midfield. For defense, I would field starters and for the forward three, I would field Downing, Assaidi and Yesil.

OhYaBeauty

I'm a bit worried about some of our players (Wisdom, Johnson) heading to Moscow for the away game if that's what's waiting for them there...

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Best thing is to ignore that idiot and wait for the Moderator.

As for the match, I am wishing that Hendo has a good match.He deserves to play in our midfield in league matches, so that we can finally shift Gerrard to the right and have Allen in a playmaker role.

Superior Complex

With consistent performances, all I 'hope' we can do is score. Then good game I guess ? Or is this just being optimistic.

RMP

TIA First Team
Bit of a tricky one for Rodgers.
The derby is massive in terms of league progression and confidence levels, but if he doesn't put out a strong team here we can effectively say goodbye to qualifying.

Top professionals should be able to play twice in 4 days once in a while, so lame excuses to the contrary are wasted on me.
It's a lot to to with attitude and desire, let's see how many are found wanting.
Can't say I agree with this
I remember United going to Goodison about two years ago on the back of a CL tie and got thumped 3-1.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Agree with others, would like to see Henderson in the starting lineup. Boussoufa will cause us some problems, not just Sammy, Yuri and the 9 foot tall Traore

Skrtel-Agger in the middle is fine by me, though i do worry about Glen Johnson being run into the ground. That said, I feel like Ashley Cole has played every single game for Chelsea over the years yet he is still alive and fit somehow.

Suarez, we probably have no choice but to play him though I agree with others we should save Gerrard for the bench. If we're looking shite, he can come on at half time and win the game by himself, like he did with Napoli 2 years ago. Unless that's exactly what BR wants to avoid, and will try to have "disciplined" Gerrard by starting him instead of supersub hero gerrard. Can pull him out after 60 i guess...

I realize we are up for a huge task at Goodison this weekend but it would really be bad to lose this at Anfield tonight, I think. Probably no choice but to take risks on fitness. We will need our 3 subs tonight, meaning it would be a waste to have Cole come on and then limp off after 10 mins. Contrary to my prior belief that Cole should play in this one.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Quite funny image in a rustic sort of way but the bile posted with it is definitely not amusing; and here was me thinking that the Russians fought against the proponents of such fascistic nonsense too. Oh well, you learn something new everyday

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
Олег, уйти и не развернутесь.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
That tragic post by Oleg makes one realise just how far some countries have to go in regard to racism. Very very sad.

As for the match............Come on the Redmen, whoever gets picked just play with and wear the red shirt with pride, that's all I ask.

Reactions: TFC