• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Anzhi Makhachkala 25th Oct 20.05

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Not surprising to me, this has been a major issue for a couple decades now. Hell, the article that HOPE posted re: the relationship of Anzhi and the rest of Russia, hints at this a bit. Not to mention the bananas at Zenit games, etc. There are similar attitudes in China re: the minorities of western china. Only gets attention in the West when the Uigher's, etc riot.

Back on topic:
Also re: Everton, they will be without Gibson and Pienaar. Fellaini I think it still a doubt after a knee injury (50/50 maybe).

Fitness could be an issue for us but that could go either way depending on which side has a man sent off...so I can see the sense in trying to put out a strong team for tonight's game. Cuz who knows what the weekend has in store. I'm not too worried about the threat of a Phil Neville midfield, regardless of their form or the threat of Mirallas & Jelavic.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Can't say I agree with this
I remember United going to Goodison about two years ago on the back of a CL tie and got thumped 3-1.
Not sure what point you're making by citing a single example?
I remember us humping Real Madrid 4-0, then 4 days later sticking 4 past the mancs at old toilet.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
I remember us humping Real Madrid 4-0, then 4 days later sticking 4 past the mancs at old toilet.
What a week that was.Dossena scoring as well!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Also didnt Everton beat United at the start of the season after months of rest?

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
That tragic post by Oleg makes one realise just how far some countries have to go in regard to racism. Very very sad.
Agreed (although I didn't see the post).
I work in Azerbaijan (former Soviet state) and considering they expect us expats to be very respectful of their culture, the opinions they voice about blacks is pretty disgusting.
Very wealthy, but very uncivilised country.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Guys you do realise, people like Oleg are trolls and the reason behind their posts is wanting attention.
In some weird, perverse way they get a high from it.Looking at people mentioning it & talking about it.That dick is probably refreshing this page looking at replies and laughing.

The best thing is to not talk about it at all.Not bad, not good.....not anything.

Reactions: RMP

RMP

TIA First Team
Didn't United play in that Round of 16 as well
I just think that its a huge task asking a developing team to take on Anzhi and Everton with just a few days rest

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Didn't United play in that Round of 16 as well
I just think that its a huge task asking a developing team to take on Anzhi and Everton with just a few days rest
I'm with Dane on this one. I think professional athletes can/should be able to manage it. If we want to look at ManU, then just look at RVP. He's made out of glass, yet he played 90+ on the 20th, then on the 23rd and he'll probably be starting on the 28th and 31st against Chelsea as well. 4 games in 11 days for the man of glass. I'm all for resting players to keep them fresh and to avoid injuries especially when needed, but these guys are finely tuned athletes who are very capable of playing twice in 4 days.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I'm with Dane on this one. I think professional athletes can/should be able to manage it. If we want to look at ManU, then just look at RVP. He's made out of glass, yet he played 90+ on the 20th, then on the 23rd and he'll probably be starting on the 28th and 31st against Chelsea as well. 4 games in 11 days for the man of glass. I'm all for resting players to keep them fresh and to avoid injuries especially when needed, but these guys are finely tuned athletes who are very capable of playing twice in 4 days.
Alot of them just played twice in four days if you include internationals so it comes down to how often.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
from LFc twitter:
Confirmed #LFC team: Jones, Wisdom, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Gerrard, Sahin, Shelvey, Assaidi, Downing, Suarez.

Confirmed #LFC subs: Gulacsi, Henderson, Carragher, Allen, Sterling, Suso, Yesil.

That is a strong squad! We are definitely going for points here. I'd like to see us take an early lead and then bring on Suso and Yesil for Suarez and Gerrard.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
from LFc twitter:
Confirmed #LFC team: Jones, Wisdom, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Gerrard, Sahin, Shelvey, Assaidi, Downing, Suarez.

Confirmed #LFC subs: Gulacsi, Henderson, Carragher, Allen, Sterling, Suso, Yesil.

That is a strong squad! We are definitely going for points here. I'd like to see us take an early lead and then bring on Suso and Yesil for Suarez and Gerrard.
Wow, this is a big game for Assaidi.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Alot of them just played twice in four days if you include internationals so it comes down to how often.
Yeah, that was just the first example I could think of. It happens fairly often. I'm not trying to say that its not a concern at all, but rather that it is fairly common and shouldn't be a big deal.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Whether you get paid or not, you need 72 hours plus to fully recover. That is simple physiology, there is no end of research that establishes that. Capable of doesn't mean it is wise to do it when it is unnecessary. Unfortunately for LFC and Suarez, it is all but necessary for him to go twice every week. That will come back to bite us in the ass if it is not fixed before Suarez gets hurt. I personally think the overuse of Torres was a major contributing factor in the deterioration of his relationship with the club.

RMP

TIA First Team
Pretty strong line-up indeed hopefully I'm wrong . Its a good call leaving out Sterling and Suso.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
from LFc twitter:

That is a lot stronger of a squad than I was expecting. I'd have liked to see Yesil start this match instead of Suarez, but it should be a really good match.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Not impressed with the squad selection, to be honest. Pacheco nowhere to be seen and no properly defensive player in the midfield. Could easily get overrun. I also would have preferred Yesil, but Brendan seems intent on doing well in the Europa league and I respect that.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Yeah, that was just the first example I could think of. It happens fairly often. I'm not trying to say that its not a concern at all, but rather that it is fairly common and shouldn't be a big deal.
Well I'll leave debating whether or not it's a big deal for others, but just using Suarez for example, you could see how it had an affect on him vs Reading. Going forward, I don't think it will help. Like I said, it's how often.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Whether you get paid or not, you need 72 hours plus to fully recover. That is simple physiology, there is no end of research that establishes that. Capable of doesn't mean it is wise to do it when it is unnecessary. Unfortunately for LFC and Suarez, it is all but necessary for him to go twice every week. That will come back to bite us in the ass if it is not fixed before Suarez gets hurt. I personally think the overuse of Torres was a major contributing factor in the deterioration of his relationship with the club.
This obviously doesn't apply to tennis players then, who play for more than 90 minutes, and more frequently than 72 hours?

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
While it appears we are soft in the middle, we need to be more careful about the flanks against this Anzhi side.

I think the lineup makes sense because it will be like a 4-4-1-1 off the ball with Downing and Assaidi doing defensive duties. I remember against YBB, I think, Assaidi was very far away from the striker in a wide midfield position very often.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Brendan obviously trying to secure getting out of this group, there's even not room for Coates and you would expect from at least 5 of these players in the first XI to start against Everton. Too early to say before the match ends but I'm very curious to see how much we'll have left for Sunday. But a good win tonight surely would do something more for the team's confidence.

I'm very interested to see how we do in midfield on the pitch - it's pretty open and I doubt we ever started in that trio so far this season. I guess it will be the 2 behind 1 and not 1 behind the 2 in there.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Just a bit disappointed that Coates is not playing, he is not to far behind Skrtle and Agger and needs to play. An opportunity to rest one of the regulars missed. Glad to see Jonjo back but would have thought Hendo has done well enough to get a game as well.
Still, let,s hope the boss has got it right.
Best of luck to all concerned.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
This obviously doesn't apply to tennis players then, who play for more than 90 minutes, and more frequently than 72 hours?
Different activities require different recovery times, but tennis is demanding enough that it does to some extent. Some tournaments are grueling because of precisely that, but in that competitive context, the same is true for the opponent. Plus most tennis players don't then go play another tournament the next week.

http://assets.usta.com/assets/635/15/Recovery%20in%20Tennis.pdf

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If that is true theyve all had enough rest after Reading and only going to be about ten hours short for the Derby. Bearing in mind there is zero travel involved cant see that as too bad.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Yeah you'd think Coates would be a good option against Traore, though Skrtel does quite well against aerial threats so I guess we are hopefully OK. And Traore is as much a threat with his feet. Carra seems to have been given the Europa as "his" tournament, I guess.

LFCLV

TIA Youth Team
Just a bit disappointed that Coates is not playing, he is not to far behind Skrtle and Agger and needs to play. An opportunity to rest one of the regulars missed. Glad to see Jonjo back but would have thought Hendo has done well enough to get a game as well.
Still, let,s hope the boss has got it right.
Best of luck to all concerned.
He is not only behind Agger and Skrtel but also Carra. Can not see how Jamie is better than Coates. The good thing is thet Jamie wont be here for long.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Looking forward to the game. Not too bothered if we win/lose/draw - Sunday is more important! Just seen the line up, Brendan taking no chances it seems!

Jones; Wisdom, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson; Gerrard, Sahin, Shelvey; Downing, Suarez, Assaidi.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
from LFc twitter:

don't know what to think about this line up.

looks like gerrard in the holding position, and shelvy and sahin as attacking midfielders.
downing is a winger, does move in the box much. does this means BR switched to 4-4-2