• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Citeh FA Community Shield (04,08,19 KO 15:00)

Richard88

Based on the team that played the last 30 mins together against Lyon I think it's fairly certain that the defence and midfield will be as shown below.

Salah and Firmino will probably start as well but only get max. 60 mins, with Origi on the left.

------------------ Alisson ----------------------
Trent---- - Matip ----- Van Dijk --- Robertson
----------------- Fabinho -----------------------
------ Henderson --- Wijnaldum --------------
Salah ---------- Firmino ----------------- Origi

We're allowed 6 substitutions, so I can see the front 5 and one of the fullbacks getting subbed after 60. We'll need one of Henderson or Fabinho on the pitch at any given time so only one of them will get subbed.

After 60:

------------------ Alisson -----------------------
Hoever --- Matip ----- Van Dijk --- Robertson
----------------- Fabinho -----------------------
---------- Milner -------- Keita -----------------
Shaqiri --------- Brewster ----------------- Ox

Feels like Lallana and Elliott could get some minutes too, maybe in place of Keita and Shaqiri. Neither Keita or Shaqiri have had much of a preseason though so they could probably use the minutes more. I'd love to see Elliott in action again though, his confidence would probably get a big boost if he got to feature against City (not that it isn't already high).

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I know I'm likely in the minority but I'm excited for the match and I really want them to win it, simply because it's City. I'll stop just short of calling it "important" but to me it is more meaningful than just another preseason match. It's City and the way they showed zero class in winning their title and personal affront to our players - calling Mo a "pussy" - in the songs they were singing on their team plane.

JK did what any good manager would do, he hedged his bet in his press conference. He said it's important but won't have any bearing on the season if they win or lose.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Games like this, the super cup and even world club cup - it just means we are a good team!

I’m glad we haven’t lost any significant player, and hopefully brewster, ox and Wilson bring some freshness into the squad.

I think we will win this, but I won’t lose sleep if we don’t!

Will be a nice day out at Wembley, and hopefully we will go back again this season!

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Some question marks around the front positions for this game; a lot of possible options and combinations, due to late returns and injuries. I think Salah starts at his usual position, and I think Origi starts. Not sure whether it'll be on the left or through the middle though. If it's left I think Brewster will start centrally, and if it's central I think Chamberlain plays on the left wing.

In midfield I'm guessing Fabinho and Wijnaldum, with Henderson or Milner in the third spot. And then the normal back five.

I think it's interesting that City have played only four training matches leading up to this. That means they've spent more time on the training pitch rather than practicing in game situations, which possibly indicates there are things they wanted to work on in more detail. Maybe some tweaks in their shape with the ball, or new roles for one or two players..? Curious about that.

Neither team will be fully ready for this, but I expect a good game anyway. For me this is the perfect way to start the season, a competitive game that has no real consequence. If we win it's good fun, and if we lose nobody really cares.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
The biggest problem with this match is that both teams had key players missing from most of preseason because of the Copa and AFCON.
If both teams had all their players during preseason, this match would have felt very different for both sides. But now it feels like an over hyped friendly, that tbh both managers would prefer it didn't happen.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
The biggest problem with this match is that both teams had key players missing from most of preseason because of the Copa and AFCON.
If both teams had all their players during preseason, this match would have felt very different for both sides. But now it feels like an over hyped friendly, that tbh both managers would prefer it didn't happen.
Apart from Klopp.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I find this competition is as pointless as it can get.
Maybe.....
But from a psychological perspective it becomes important. Weakened team, ship a hiding and we go into the season "behind" them.
Win, and it throws down a marker.

Ljc1109

One last chance for match fitness and minutes for our newly returning players. That being said......to me this game is all about a psychological advantage. Beat them and the domestic “quadruple” Pep seems to think is a real thing is already out of reach before the Premier league has even started. Sets the tone for the season- and I think a loss will affect City a lot more than us. 3-0 - Salah, Ox, Brewster.