• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Citeh FA Community Shield (04,08,19 KO 15:00)

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Played very well in the 2nd half, Mo had enough chances to win 2 games but we didn't have much luck when it mattered either.
Apart from the result there was plenty of positives to take from the game.
I still think we are an option short in the front line but it looks like Jurgen is sticking with Div and Brewster.

pass_and_move

TIA New Signing
Nil desperandum, as Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees Mogg would say. Thought we bossed the second half and deserved to win in normal time. Pleased that Sterling cocked up several times in front of goal despite a spawny opening goal for Citeh. Good to see that the Xanax tablet Guardiola took at half time managed to kick in before the penalties.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
If we had lost and the performance was the same as the first I’d be slightly disappointed, but we should of won easily. 2nd half we utterly utterly blew them away, they were dominated all over the park. Salah has had less than 2 weeks pre-season so is rusty but he is a man on a mission - 30 goal season coming up.

Our subs were good, we look to have excellent depth (when Mane is back).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Performance overall wasn't good because the first half display wasn't good. That and chances which should have been taken weren't.
First 20 odd minutes we were sleeping, but we weren't as bad in the first half, just not enough fight. We were resolute in the second half and that says a lot. We still have that same belief we had last season when we came out of the tunnel. The manager tried with higher line defence in the first half and didn't really worked out as our fullbacks being bypass by Bravo's diagonal punts. Our overall performance to me is as good as it gets playing against one of the best team in the world and not looked like we are a shade below them, in fact we looked much better. Promising so far.... for me.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
MATCH REPORT FROM WEMBLEY.

Accident on M1 meant detour, got to the stadium around 1.30...

Needed the loo but couldn’t see any portaloos like they have at anfield. Asked a steward and he said best bet was Starbucks. Long queue, took half an hour - had I known......

Not a great start. Anyway, upto to our seats - top level but decent view. Red side packed. Blue side quite empty - sad. There were loads of empty seats at blue end.

Stupid choir renditions - when they played blue moon, the noise from the red side was so loud that they had to turn the volume up.

City are our number 1 rivals now, and we are theirs too. That is clear.

1st half slow. Not much happening for us - just didn’t want to lose this 3-0....

2nd half we were transformed. The Liverpool we’ve become accustomed to were back. Should have won that.

Pens our end.... but city got the luck.

So game over. Journey home. Marker been put down. This is going to be another good season.

There’s more to come from this team. The hunger and desire is still there. Our bench is strong. We are the closest team to city.... just need the others from top 6 to give them a game.

Now on to Friday.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
City bought Rodri, and other than that, they've largely used the same player we faced last season. We are about to face Chelsea who could not buy anyone either. So that's 3 top teams in England that hardly do any business this summer and out of the three, two will continue to bash everyone. I am not sure of Lampard, so will see how it pans out for him when we go up against them in Istanbul.

We didn't lose a beat. Other than that stupid mistake from our defence and keeper, shut off at the moment which City capitalised, they didn't threatened us that much. Alexander-Arnold forgotten how to play after a summer break, he needs to get back to his level or else we will see Gomez playing instead of him. We also looked far more comfortable with Matip and Van Dijk together, and helps when we have Gomez who could outsprint any forward in the league (something I was hoping Trent to pick up during the break - lots of sprinting).

If Salah didn't lose his sharpness in front of goal, we would have thrashed them today. For me, we seemed ready. Apart from that ball watching at the start, we looked ready. Our subs were good too, we pushed them backwards and that should be something that worries Guardiola for sure. If anyone were to worry and wanting to dip into the market after this match would probably be Guardiola. As soon as he took off Silva, his side were pinned backwards. Their defence can be easily breached, and if it wasn't for Bravo's "playing out of his skin" day and Salah decided to shoot blanks, it would have been far more apparent.

Good outing for us, despite the final result.

You and I see things very differently these days.....
If only Mo had remembered to bring along his shooting boots things would have been very different.

And if Alisson could avoid cocking it up for the first goal again (as per Lyon) and make a fist of saving a pen. :shocked:

stevieg1985

Decent second half performance, would have been nice to win but not going to get worked up by what was nothing more than a friendly, feel there has been a slight overreaction to our pre-season, yes our performances haven't been great, but trust Klopp, he is the man to get it right, and better to get our mistakes out of the system before taking on Norwich on Friday night. I think we will run City very close again and that we will get off to a flyer against the Canaries YNWA.

Incognito

The Normal One
Ox still seem to need some time before he could challenge for a starting spot by looks of this game and pre-season. Keita and Shaqiri looked more promising to me, especially Keita. Hendo and Gini were better in the second half, but they'll need to raise the game, as lot of players would be knocking on their doors for first team action if they don't turn it up.

Do they need another fire up their arses that their places might be threatened? Gini was apparently angry being subbed for Barca game and came on and scored two; Hendo after Southampton game when he came on was a monster for the rest of the season! :)

TBF it's tiredness IMO and the players without much pre-season looked sharper on the contrary!
lol
That has to go in Klopp famous quotes

RedForever2014

Good performance, especially second half, only Gini's penalty miss cost us the 'trophy'.

But, ultimately, we didn't win a 'trophy' we could have won.

The margin between success and failure is small, but is nonetheless a margin you should seek to eradicate.

You put the forth quality forward we don't have into that line up in Mane's absence, and our chances of winning that match outright go up massively.

Given what we didn't do in the transfer market, I think what can be achieved this season again depends on luck with injuries.

Glory2Anfield

Man City knows better then anyone, how lucky they were to win today, they know they do not deserve to win today. But luck plays a big part of the final outcome, that’s football !

The writing is on the wall, we are close to the end of the Man City era, many of the Man City players feel it in their gut, many of the top players are looking to the exit, I suspect Pep knows it as well, I doubt Pep will stay around for a new team rebuild, Pep May well leave for China or some other compelling reason, most clever CEO’s exit at the top of a business cycle, the easy decision, is to play it safe and save one’s reputation, Pep does not love City like Sir Alex loved united; Pep will protect his track record and reputation. I suspect City are maxed out with respect to squad potential and growth capacity, what you see is what you get, not much more capacity in the tank.

LFC are on a major upswing, the LFC sporting project, is probably operating at 70% capacity, many of the LFC players probably have 30% more growth capacity, klopp will bring this capacity to fruition, many of the LFC players will grow and develop into much better players.

LFC deserved to win today, the future look great for LFC

Incognito

The Normal One
Good performance, especially second half, only Gini's penalty miss cost us the 'trophy'.

But, ultimately, we didn't win a 'trophy' we could have won.

The margin between success and failure is small, but is nonetheless a margin you should seek to eradicate.

You put the forth quality forward we don't have into that line up in Mane's absence, and our chances of winning that match outright go up massively.

Given what we didn't do in the transfer market, I think what can be achieved this season again depends on luck with injuries.
The margin between success and failure was a penalty, which Gini missed and not Origi. The margin between success and failure was Salah missing chances, not Origi. Ironically, you have pointed that as opening part of your post, but the rest of the post doesn't sync with that.

Also, any player added this summer may not even have started considering the integration time Klopp loves giving to players and him continuing the tried and tested players as continuity after breaks, example being the mid three of Gini-Hendo-Milner used in big games earlier last season.