• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Citeh FA Community Shield (04,08,19 KO 15:00)

Glory2Anfield

Man City knows better then anyone, how lucky they were to win today, they know they do not deserve to win today. But luck plays a big part of the final outcome, that’s football !

The writing is on the wall, we are close to the end of the Man City era, many of the Man City players feel it in their gut, many of the top players are looking to the exit, I suspect Pep knows it as well, I doubt Pep will stay around for a new team rebuild, Pep May well leave for China or some other compelling reason, most clever CEO’s exit at the top of a business cycle, the easy decision, is to play it safe and save one’s reputation, Pep does not love City like Sir Alex loved united; Pep will protect his track record and reputation. I suspect City are maxed out with respect to squad potential and growth capacity, what you see is what you get, not much more capacity in the tank.

LFC are on a major upswing, the LFC sporting project, is probably operating at 70% capacity, many of the LFC players probably have 30% more growth capacity, klopp will bring this capacity to fruition, many of the LFC players will grow and develop into much better players.

LFC deserved to win today, the future look great for LFC

Incognito

The Normal One
Good performance, especially second half, only Gini's penalty miss cost us the 'trophy'.

But, ultimately, we didn't win a 'trophy' we could have won.

The margin between success and failure is small, but is nonetheless a margin you should seek to eradicate.

You put the forth quality forward we don't have into that line up in Mane's absence, and our chances of winning that match outright go up massively.

Given what we didn't do in the transfer market, I think what can be achieved this season again depends on luck with injuries.
The margin between success and failure was a penalty, which Gini missed and not Origi. The margin between success and failure was Salah missing chances, not Origi. Ironically, you have pointed that as opening part of your post, but the rest of the post doesn't sync with that.

Also, any player added this summer may not even have started considering the integration time Klopp loves giving to players and him continuing the tried and tested players as continuity after breaks, example being the mid three of Gini-Hendo-Milner used in big games earlier last season.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
It was all in all an entertaining match , both teams not yet at the height of their powers. ManC slightly better/more coherent in the first half but pretty often under severe pressure in the 2nd. Good job the lads. I got slightly annoyed with Mo's finnishing at all cost towards the end , a bit to predictable for my liking - but he seems to need a warm up at the start of the season before he starts to bang them in in more important matches - so I let get away with it.

The amount of luck City had (to rely on) in our last three matches is annoying as fuck but overall a good sign for things to come. The law of averages pushes us in the green for more important matches to come (hopefully). Otherwise it forces us to play it even more ruthless against them in the future.
Agree with your comments about Mo needing to finish better, however, he was otherwise unstoppable until the execution.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Good performance, especially second half, only Gini's penalty miss cost us the 'trophy'.

But, ultimately, we didn't win a 'trophy' we could have won.

The margin between success and failure is small, but is nonetheless a margin you should seek to eradicate.

You put the forth quality forward we don't have into that line up in Mane's absence, and our chances of winning that match outright go up massively.

Given what we didn't do in the transfer market, I think what can be achieved this season again depends on luck with injuries.
On the other hand, Gini's 2 goals got us into the Champions League final beating the favourites Barcelona, who have arguably the current best player in the world and with other world class players in that team. They were the favourites to win the Champions League this year.

Someone was telling me, our win at Barcelona was our 'REAL' final, not the one against Spurs.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Fun game. City better first half, Liverpool better second half. Neither team are at their best, obviously, and probably won't be for a month or two, but still played at a high level.

City targeted the space between Virgil and Robertson in the first half, and got a lot of joy there. Margins away from creating better chances; De Bruyne's movement was terrific. Thought we got carved open a bit too easily there, although it's very difficult to defend when City execute well. One of their go-to moves is to attack that particular space, and it's often so effective when De Bruyne is the one making the run.

Very pleasing to see the way we turned things around after the break. Henderson higher up, Robertson higher up, and gradually we pushed them back. Really encouraging ahead of the league opener.

Individually I thought Firmino was our best player. Really good performance from him. Looked sharp against Lyon and kept that going today. Salah also looks ready, and extremely hungry for goals. Must have taken 10-12 shots today. Should have scored a couple, but that'll come.

Maria

Can someone remind me, I am not sure why the fans were booing the National anthem. I don't think our fans have done that before.
Our fans are getting alot of stick about on social media.

Red over the water

I thought it was quite a good game. Man City started brighter and got the lead. They were the better side in the first half, though we easily could have scored ourselves, with Mo missing a couple in the first half alone.

Second half we were much the better team, with lots of chances. Mo could have had a hat-trick another day. VVD almost, Keita could have scored, etc. We looked much better and can count ourselves very unlucky to lose.

I would rather win any game, especially since it was against them and also for silverware. But I don’t feel gutted, which says something about the standing of the Community Shield. The main feeling I came away with was hope for the season to come. We are a very good side and only now are we starting to move through the gears to get ready for the start. We’re not quite fully there, but that was pretty good.

I’m hopeful for the campaign ahead.

One comment on the bench. It was very strange not to see Brewster there. With no Mane, Origi started and we didn’t have an out and out striker on the bench. Brewster looks like he can finish to me, and even if he is tired after working his bollocks off pre-season, I’d have backed him to tuck away one of the many chances we missed.

Onwards and upwards.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Did not see the match because I was driving back to the Netherlands but come on, letting a Dutchman take e penalty? Everybody knows we are shite at that, we have proven it time after time.

Was not unhappy with the draw, although I said "3-2 good guys" I was worried after the lousy preseason we had that it could turn into a disaster. Glad it did not.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Have never considered this a real trophy so not bothered by the result.

The performance was pleasing however, particularly when you put it next to our pre season.

While Salah was sub par in front of goal , him and Firmino both look sharp having only been back a fortnight.

Keita and Lallana off the bench were also solid.

What was also interesting to note was none of the younger guys was given a chance, even Brewster in what was a glorified friendly.

Flobs

FADA
I hope @Flobs not watching this match for Wijnaldum's sake.
Too late my son and i had a field day over Wijnaldum. Klopp also got some stick, every year he starts Henderson on the left and Wijnaldum on the right yet Henderson plays best on the right and it doesn't matter where you put Wijnaldum he just averages one decent action a game where ever he plays. ;-)

Flobs

FADA
Just got home and haven't read the comments before this, yet.
Just want to say Firmino was excellent and some of our subs namely Matip made us a lot better even Lallana made some nice touches compared to what we saw before.
Gomez is nowhere near up to speed, Matip and Lovren will have to deputise until he might be. Matip looked really good got on the field and won his first scrap hands down and scored a lovely needed goal.
Salah gets a lot right but still can not finish. Some of his decissions infront of goal i find poor. Twice he had opportunites where a little lob would go in and he hits it straight at the goalkeeper. I just wish he could find his mojo.
TAA was on and off but still looks good for a yougster.
Origi well he just shouldn't start any match whatever or whoever it is.
The less said about Wijnaldum the better.
Second half we played much better yet our '1st' team struggles to score and it needs a CB substition to crack it. Still we had some promising moments and overall were at least equal to Man C except for penalty taking. Where is Milner when you need him?
Btw Shaquiri's, AOC's and Salah's penalties were as good as any Man C took.

Last edited:

Maria

I had the same question and that's what I got
I thought it is something to do with the government.
This national anthem is so out of date, dull and monotonous compared to other European countries anthems. It needs to be changed.

XMarlin

Not a bad showing out of the lads for their first match back together overall.

We lost on penalties....fair enough....but at least I didn't have to listen to that little prick LeSaux...

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I thought it is something to do with the government.
This national anthem is so out of date, dull and monotonous compared to other European countries anthems. It needs to be changed.

your national anthem- the tune itself- is one of the very best out there.

the french one, english, i love the brazilian one, probably cause of world cup nostalgia. our one...whisper, the american one...they all sound as national anthems should to me.

but the english national anthem is pretty cool.

thats coming from an aussie, too.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
So we lost on penalties, but not much bothered considering the match ended in a draw with us probably the better team towards the end of 2nd half. This was more of a continuation of pre season with most players not really at the best of their game. I thought we grind hard to make it 1-1 and only after the changes in personnel did we find space to run forward and cause lots of problems.

Some question marks regarding game.
1. Was Le Roy Sane fouled, looked like he clicked his own heels and went down. Don't like to see anyone get injured but soft foul, given leading to goal.
2. Did the ball crossed the line in goal not awarded. Dang looks over to me but it has to be whole ball ......

If we can break down teams in first half and blow them away in the 2nd, this season is gonna be fun and hopefully another major silverware and more to add to. A bit more compact in D and we'll have plenty of clean sheets to boot.

We go again.

Sweeting

Can someone remind me, I am not sure why the fans were booing the National anthem. I don't think our fans have done that before.
I'm not sure the last time Liverpool fans had to hear the national anthem at a game was but, as far as I know, the reason would be fuck this racist, xenophobic, Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg mess of a country.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

the french one, english, i love the brazilian one, probably cause of world cup nostalgia. our one...whisper, the american one...they all sound as national anthems should to me.

I hate our one. Love our flag but not the anthem. My favourite is the South African anthem followed by French.

Maria

All it is , God Save the Queen lyrics, nothing about the country.
I do like the Italian, French, German Dutch and Brazilian one, they are so orchestral and lively.

Noo Noo

Didn't see it, only reading reports now but I get the impression that we could well have won the game, perhaps should have.

I think the frustrating bit for me is the "should have". You have to be more clinical in games like these. We have been in the past but this is twice against City now.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Firstly, we are not English, we are Scouse.

The British Government and establishment has let the Club and the city down badly.
In the 80's, Under Thatcher, she took lots of investment out of Liverpool and thus created lots of issues within the city - amongst a whole string of anti Liverpool things that were done.
Then do we need to mention Hillsborough? Probably the biggest cover up operation in the history of Great Britain - were it not for the will and spirit of the people, that would never have come to light. It was criminal on the grandest level.

So if booing the National Anthem is not justified, and people want to pick up on that - so be it. But just research what happened with Hillsborough, and give me a single reason why that wouldn't make anyone anti government/establishment?

A delicate subject, but completely justified in my opinion.

Fullmetal

Jedi Knight
First half was garbage. Second half was brilliant. Given that I considered this game as a glorified friendly, I am very satisfied with our overall performance.
Norwich is when the deal starts, not this game.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
What was also interesting to note was none of the younger guys was given a chance, even Brewster in what was a glorified friendly.
I was interested to see who would make the 18 for this game. We had 24 left in Evian including 19 of the seniors (if you include Mignolet as a certainty as back up keeper). That meant at least one of the seniors would miss out on the game and that was before JK even considered using Brewster, Elliott or Wilson. In the end Milner's injury, which sounds very minor, was convenient as it meant he could pick all the seniors and not have a discontented player on his hands one week before the season starts.

That bench yesterday was one of the strongest I can remember us putting out and a reminder of how strong the current squad is (if fit, of course).We didn't miss an attacking beat when all the second half subs were made. In fact we got better and better. When the real games begin I doubt we'll have 2 CBs on the bench which might then create the room for Brewster. It will be especially hard for Wilson, though and that's before you factor in Milner and Mane returning.

Maria

Firstly, we are not English, we are Scouse.

The British Government and establishment has let the Club and the city down badly.
In the 80's, Under Thatcher, she took lots of investment out of Liverpool and thus created lots of issues within the city - amongst a whole string of anti Liverpool things that were done.
Then do we need to mention Hillsborough? Probably the biggest cover up operation in the history of Great Britain - were it not for the will and spirit of the people, that would never have come to light. It was criminal on the grandest level.

So if booing the National Anthem is not justified, and people want to pick up on that - so be it. But just research what happened with Hillsborough, and give me a single reason why that wouldn't make anyone anti government/establishment?

A delicate subject, but completely justified in my opinion.
I got it. I thought it was all those issues you mentioned, but wasn't sure. ThanksThanks

It wasn't an international game, so it was also unnecessary to have the anthem in the first place as well.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I understand that the second half brought back optimism and euphoria but the defence is still suspect. Neither of the full backs looked close to their best, especially TAA. Alisson slow in his reactions. Not even Van Dijk seemed like himself even though he improved as the game wore on.

Most concerning though is Robertson and TAA's form. They haven't had a decent game in a while now and they are instrumental in the way we play. It's not like we have a lot of options for their position either.