• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Citeh FA Community Shield (04,08,19 KO 15:00)

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Firstly, we are not English, we are Scouse.

The British Government and establishment has let the Club and the city down badly.
In the 80's, Under Thatcher, she took lots of investment out of Liverpool and thus created lots of issues within the city - amongst a whole string of anti Liverpool things that were done.
Then do we need to mention Hillsborough? Probably the biggest cover up operation in the history of Great Britain - were it not for the will and spirit of the people, that would never have come to light. It was criminal on the grandest level.

So if booing the National Anthem is not justified, and people want to pick up on that - so be it. But just research what happened with Hillsborough, and give me a single reason why that wouldn't make anyone anti government/establishment?

A delicate subject, but completely justified in my opinion.
So do you speak for everyone from my city? I’m born and raised in Liverpool and still live here . I’m not going to start arguing about politics because this is a football forum, but I don’t go along with this ‘ we are not English, we are Scouse’ bollocks.
I’m English from Liverpool and proud of it and if that upsets anyone, then tough. And booing the National Anthem is not justified, ever!
PS. I don’t need to research Hillsborough either, I was there.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I understand that the second half brought back optimism and euphoria but the defence is still suspect. Neither of the full backs looked close to their best, especially TAA. Alisson slow in his reactions. Not even Van Dijk seemed like himself even though he improved as the game wore on.

Most concerning though is Robertson and TAA's form. They haven't had a decent game in a while now and they are instrumental in the way we play. It's not like we have a lot of options for their position either.
VVD was dribbled past for the first time in a competitive LFC fixture and, yes, Allison is looking half-asleep at the moment. TAA's performances in pre-season have been the biggest disappointment. Not good going forward or backwards and that long diagonal in behind him is causing us problems just like it did in 2017/18. Robertson not so good yesterday but he was up against de Bruyne, one of the world's best so I wouldn't be too harsh on him.

It's hard to say from pre-season but we must expect teams, especially the better ones, to focus on closing down our full backs this season. It's no secret that this is where a lot of our threat comes from and Trent and Robbo may not have the same impact. This is where players like Ox and Keita can help us by providing a bit more creativity and thrust from central areas. It was noticeable yesterday how we created chance after chance when those 2 were on the pitch and this was against the best team we will play this season.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
So do you speak for everyone from my city? I’m born and raised in Liverpool and still live here . I’m not going to start arguing about politics because this is a football forum, but I don’t go along with this ‘ we are not English, we are Scouse’ bollocks.
I’m English from Liverpool and proud of it and if that upsets anyone, then tough. And booing the National Anthem is not justified, ever!
PS. I don’t need to research Hillsborough either, I was there.
Sorry, I'm not speaking behalf of anyone else - just the majority of people that I am surrounded by (on match day) of which most were born and live in the city. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else, and certainly do not speak for you or anyone else. As I said, its a delicate subject. I was just answering a question from a forum member, and the answer is my own individual opinion.

I should have phrased it differently. Apologies to you or anyone else. Its just my individual understanding and opinion.

Clive

That bench yesterday was one of the strongest I can remember us putting out and a reminder of how strong the current squad is (if fit, of course).
Good shout, just for posterity, the bench is below. They’ll be some jostling for a spot when Mane and Milner are back.
  • 6Lovren
  • 8Keita
  • 15Oxlade-Chamberlain
  • 20Lallana
  • 22Mignolet
  • 23Shaqiri
  • 32Matip

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Good shout, just for posterity, the bench is below. They’ll be some jostling for a spot when Mane and Milner are back.
  • 6Lovren
  • 8Keita
  • 15Oxlade-Chamberlain
  • 20Lallana
  • 22Mignolet
  • 23Shaqiri
  • 32Matip
Definitely a better bench than many a year, and it made a difference yesterday. Klopp has to keep them all tuned in and involved, which is a task in itself.

Flobs

FADA
Ah well its only a pre season friendly
It's the season's curtain raiser. To be in it I think is nice even if it only gives an idea of the teams determination to win things. I thought we looked like we wanted it as did City. It was a good game that certainly gave Klopp a good look at who he can trust. He just has to react to that now.

Last edited:

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
It's the season's curtain raiser. To be in it I tghink is nice even if it only gives an idea of the teams determination to win things. I thought we looked like we wanted it as did City. It was a good game that certainly gave Klopp a good look at who he can trust. He just has to react to that now.
It was a bit tongue in cheek comment. If we win its a yippee we beat the financial abusers and win a trophy but lose and its only a pre season friendly

Was an enjoyable game. We looked a bit poor in the 1st half but played well in the 2nd and deserved to win the game. Winning or losing on pens is a bit of a lottery but overall im pleased with how we came out and played especially in that 2nd half

Flobs

FADA
It was a bit tongue in cheek comment. If we win its a yippee we beat the financial abusers and win a trophy but lose and its only a pre season friendly

Was an enjoyable game. We looked a bit poor in the 1st half but played well in the 2nd and deserved to win the game. Winning or losing on pens is a bit of a lottery but overall im pleased with how we came out and played especially in that 2nd half
I was convinced we would lose in the penalty shoot out however they weren't as dominant as I thought they would be in that exercise. Milner is still the best in the league at this so it's difficult not to see him start most matches against teams we will dominate during the season.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I was convinced we would lose in the penalty shoot out however they weren't as dominant as I thought they would be in that exercise. Milner is still the best in the league at this so it's difficult not to see him start most matches against teams we will dominate during the season.
And all this crap in the media about sterling scoring. He was lucky to score as he didnt connect geat with the ball. Should have scored when he hit the post and falling over when through on allison and he had a man free to his left is so sterling

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Matip still looks the best partner for Virgil at the moment.

Overall we beat City on the pitch and had far more periods of dominance and chances, but we failed to take those chances.

It remains a valid point, that we are light for a ruthless goal scorer. Salah should have scored yesterday, he had countless chances where he opened City up, especially the header that was cleared. Its this ruthlessness that sets us still slightly behind City. This is what we have to overcome this season.

Flobs

FADA
And all this crap in the media about sterling scoring. He was lucky to score as he didnt connect geat with the ball. Should have scored when he hit the post and falling over when through on allison and he had a man free to his left is so sterling
my favorite moment in the match was when Sterling was though on goal just Allison to beat. He looked so confident all he had to do was lay the ball off to Jesus?
What he didn't know was VVD had put on the after burners and blocked that option.
Sterling ended up his mid doing one thing his body another and Allison just picked the ball up. lol
I thought Sterling had a good game but as we know he's no center forward. We shouldn't let Sterling be such a big distraction just accept he's a good player who left us for good reason (at the time). Bet he tegrets that decission now mind. ;-)

Red over the water

On the anthem, I can understand the dislike for the government. Bunch of muppets. And not just that, but there was real nastiness from Boris towards Liverpool, and a refusal to apologize even recently. And of course you can go back to Thatcher’s systematic discarding of a whole city, indeed several more especially in the North, the ban from Europe, the Hillsborough cover up, and so on and so forth.

I’ve got two comments:

1. To start booing now seems odd, especially given the long list of things to boo about over many years.

2. Don’t boo. This is football, and I want it to be pure. Get behind the team. Get wrapped up in the whole thing. It’s a very enjoyable passion for a lot of people, and while the country and our leaders are in a state for a lot of people... but don’t blend the two. Let the football stand, on its own merits, and be the release and joy and triumph that it can be. It’s an escape from the shitshow of government, and to my mind, it’s best not to drag that into the game we love.

Edit:
Mind you, they don’t play the anthem at most of the games, so it probably won’t become a thing.

Last edited:

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Can someone remind me, I am not sure why the fans were booing the National anthem. I don't think our fans have done that before.
Our fans are getting alot of stick about on social media.
i just found this article, explains a lot.

jaffod

Thats Chelsea pre-match talk done there...
Don't get it myself. It's the fucking Charity Shield. Something wrong if the lads need to watch that shower of cheating cunts lift a nothing trophy to be motivated.
Show them no respect. They don't deserve any and they don't show any to anybody else.

auzziez

Don't get it myself. It's the fucking Charity Shield. Something wrong if the lads need to watch that shower of cheating cunts lift a nothing trophy to be motivated.
Show them no respect. They don't deserve any and they don't show any to anybody else.
Nothing or not, it's a trophy our boys saw them lifting. That should be the motivation, win anything and everything that is on offer.

Commando

Ad-free Member

That's a great article. I'd never boo our National Anthem (even though it's out of date and boring). But I respect the views of those who chose to.

As to yesterday's game. I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone remarked on the free kick leading to Citoil's goal? I just didn't think it was a foul at all. A lot has been made of us having a female ref for the upcoming Chelsea game. Thank feck it's not Atkinson. Yesterday he blew immediately for the supposed foul on Sané but later on when Divock was kicked twice and left in a heap he waved play on. I think it lead to the Sterling falling over when clean through incident. Anyway, I'd be interested to know other posters' thought on the Sané foul.

Flobs

FADA
That's a great article. I'd never boo our National Anthem (even though it's out of date and boring). But I respect the views of those who chose to.

As to yesterday's game. I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone remarked on the free kick leading to Citoil's goal? I just didn't think it was a foul at all. A lot has been made of us having a female ref for the upcoming Chelsea game. Thank feck it's not Atkinson. Yesterday he blew immediately for the supposed foul on Sané but later on when Divock was kicked twice and left in a heap he waved play on. I think it lead to the Sterling falling over when clean through incident. Anyway, I'd be interested to know other posters' thought on the Sané foul.
It was no foul. He hyper extended his knee all by himself, that happens. TAA had nothing to do with it. The problem is TAA had a hand on Sane yet any worthy ref could tell that wasn't enough to cause what happened.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Sorry for asking:-(

Thanks for this article. I think this was the one @FGred was referring to. :well done:
Yes, it is very informative to outsiders who know little about the cultural, historical, social and political issues of the city
Tony Evans is a well respected sports journalist and is a Scouser, so he knows the city and people inside out and knows what he is talking about.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
It was no foul. He hyper extended his knee all by himself, that happens. TAA had nothing to do with it. The problem is TAA had a hand on Sane yet any worthy ref could tell that wasn't enough to cause what happened.
Any worthy ref. Not a serial biased fuck like we had yesterday??

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
  • 6Lovren
  • 8Keita
  • 15Oxlade-Chamberlain
  • 20Lallana
  • 22Mignolet
  • 23Shaqiri
  • 32Matip
Well,.... Mignolet's spot is up for grabs now....

MGMKLML

This national anthem is so out of date, dull and monotonous compared to other European countries anthems. It needs to be changed.
Well... honestly I always liked the anthem, I do even know the text lol Well that's may be due to loving the way English fans sing in general, I mean I like this part of the English football culture, Liverpool takes a special place here of course. But anyway. This all despite I really love the national anthem of my country. And I don't know why but I was never a fan of the French anthem or Italian or everything else. They are nice but out of my top-2 list.

Thank you for the link. I could guess the reasons but I didn't know the details.

Spitfire

Resident Realist

Interesting article, I live on the other side of the world literally. An while aware of most of most of the historical references; what I wasn't aware of was a perception that we have number of fans that support the club ...but not the city, it's plight or the history.

I'll be honest I have been to Liverpool a total of 1 time. I was lucky enough to go and see Liverpool play at Anfield, and spend a couple of days looking around. I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed in the slightest, and the highlight was the people. I was traveling alone, didn't matter if I was in a taxi or grabbing a drink at the pub, I always ended up have some great conversations with total strangers, who welcomed me like neighbours.

I read that article and all I see is a people that have passion of their belief and stand up for it. It's something we should all aspire to, Liverpool as a football club to me is the epitome of that, no matter the tragedy or hardship. Heysel, Hillsborough or near Insolvency the people and the club keep battling for what is right and just.

I'm proud to say I am in some small way a part of that.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The national anthem is basically pleading to an imaginary being to protect an already entitled, privileged woman (or man, in its former lyric) from the people she has stolen her wealth from. It’s an obsequient, grovelling arse lick of a song, and I’ll have no part of it.

Land of Hope and Glory would be a much better anthem. A bit empire and military, but at least it’s not begging for serfdom