• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Citeh FA Community Shield (04,08,19 KO 15:00)

jaffod

That's a great article. I'd never boo our National Anthem (even though it's out of date and boring). But I respect the views of those who chose to.

As to yesterday's game. I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone remarked on the free kick leading to Citoil's goal? I just didn't think it was a foul at all. A lot has been made of us having a female ref for the upcoming Chelsea game. Thank feck it's not Atkinson. Yesterday he blew immediately for the supposed foul on Sané but later on when Divock was kicked twice and left in a heap he waved play on. I think it lead to the Sterling falling over when clean through incident. Anyway, I'd be interested to know other posters' thought on the Sané foul.
Leicester City at Anfield last season. All you need to know.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
That's a great article. I'd never boo our National Anthem (even though it's out of date and boring). But I respect the views of those who chose to.

As to yesterday's game. I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone remarked on the free kick leading to Citoil's goal? I just didn't think it was a foul at all. A lot has been made of us having a female ref for the upcoming Chelsea game. Thank feck it's not Atkinson. Yesterday he blew immediately for the supposed foul on Sané but later on when Divock was kicked twice and left in a heap he waved play on. I think it lead to the Sterling falling over when clean through incident. Anyway, I'd be interested to know other posters' thought on the Sané foul.
Leicester City at Anfield last season. All you need to know.
I would really like some respected journalist to point out blatant incidents like these.
No chance mate, too busy highlighting Salah's 'diving' even when there's been clear contact.
But remember: there’s no anti-Liverpool agenda.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I’ve just read Noel Gallagher’s comments on Sky Sports. My God, is it possible for him to become more arrogant than he already was? He laughs at our chances of challenging City again for the league and writes off every other club. He ridicules the Champions League as ‘ a cup competition that anyone can win’. That”s just two examples of his horrible attitude towards everything outside his ‘Manc bubble’. He is your typical Citeh fan, arrogance beyond belief and absolutely no respect for any other club.
I never used to have a problem with City, but I have now. Jurgen should show Gallagher’s interview with Sky to our lads before every game, no team talk needed ever again.

vzok

I’m surprised Noel Gallagher isn’t too busy to follow football, what with his cutting edge rock career and strong family commitments.

Plus “a cup anyone can win”. Go on then.

big noyd

wasn't sure if this qualified for 'the media room'. there's a short paragraph about halfway through that is pretty devastating, imo

didn't think trent fouled sane, but i thought atkinson was quite good apart from that. sounds ridiculous when it led directly to their one goal, but i did think he set a pretty good bar for what he was gonna let go. on another day city might have had another half-dozen cheap free kicks

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
your national anthem- the tune itself- is one of the very best out there.

the french one, english, i love the brazilian one, probably cause of world cup nostalgia. our one...whisper, the american one...they all sound as national anthems should to me.

but the english national anthem is pretty cool.

thats coming from an aussie, too.
Waltzing Matilda? ;-)

igor_piss_can

Recently back off holiday so thought I'd (belatedly) weigh in on the anthem debate. Seen a lot of people bringing up social / economic reasons as to why they boo it. Personally, the main reason I think you should boo it is that it's absolutely ridiculous. Screaming your heart out for an imaginary entity to rescue (from seemingly no harm) a woman who has spent her life being chauffeured around in a golden carriage, I think, is deranged and bordering on lunacy.

Was made up when I heard they booed it. My dad & brother were in attendance and did exactly that. Working class sane people have better things to do than grovel to an inbred gang of filthy rich Nazi-sympathizers, especially at a showpiece game of football. Delighted to see that reds / scousers are once again a bit more switched on than the rest of the country

Limiescouse

VVD was dribbled past for the first time in a competitive LFC fixture and, yes, Allison is looking half-asleep at the moment. TAA's performances in pre-season have been the biggest disappointment. Not good going forward or backwards and that long diagonal in behind him is causing us problems just like it did in 2017/18. Robertson not so good yesterday but he was up against de Bruyne, one of the world's best so I wouldn't be too harsh on him.

It's hard to say from pre-season but we must expect teams, especially the better ones, to focus on closing down our full backs this season. It's no secret that this is where a lot of our threat comes from and Trent and Robbo may not have the same impact.
That is fine, let them. Committing to trying to close down our FBs more means a less compact middle. We were so productive last season from that area because we had to be (well, and because we had the quality to be so) given the way teams defended against us. I suspect that if teams take this approach they will quickly realise that as dangerous as our FBs are, it is the lesser of two evils to give them time and space to put in deliveries.