• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Liverpool v Crystal Palace [EPL 24/6/20 8.15pm]

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold [GOAL 22’, off 74’]

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Gomez

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Robertson [off 84’]

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Fabinho [GOAL 54’]

Votes: 90 84.9%
  • Henderson [off 64’]

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 43’]

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Firmino [off 74’]

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 68’, off 84’]

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 64’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Williams [on 74’]

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Minimino [on 74’]

• Elliot [on 84’]

• Keita [on 84]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
the acceleration of Mo and Bobby to support Mane should he need it or if there had been a rebound for the 4th goal has been such a part of our season's success - much like TAA's goal in our 4-0 win over Leicester in December last year - the sheer workrate of the players has been powerful

Sweeting

Views on Keita not starting? Tired from Sunday?
Gini played well but part of me was bemoaning the likelihood that if Keita had the same chances Gini did across the 90 he would be probably have had two goals to his name.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Back to out superb best. That was clinical and could have been 2 or 3 goals more. Im still rubbing my eyes when looking at the table and wondering how we over took the manc of last season, and wonder how we have managed to win so many games. Over the last 30 years we have had some good teams, some great players but always seemed to lack that last jigsaw piece to take us to first place. Now it seems we have found the magic formula. Was in Van the man or Allison? Was it the meteoric rise of Salah and Mane, the genius of Firmino? Maybe it was just the fact hat all 11? 14? 18 players clicked, or maybe it is the tactical brilliance of Klopp.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
MOTM was soo difficult, I went with TAA, Salah and Firmino (after his performance against Everton Firmino really pleased me controlled everything soo well). Could have been any of them except Allison (who deserved credit against Everton for not falling alseep but he must have really enjoyed watching the other 10 ripping into CP like I did).
So encouraging to see us pressing like that for 90mins at Anfield.

Hope your trip to the hospital went well.

Fine thanks, but Doc says an MRI is next.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Hmm, not sure about that. Gomez will never be as good as Van Dijk in the air.

Van Dijk is the most complete centre back I've ever seen personally.
This. Most definitely, Looking back at title winning defenders in our top league I think you have to go back to Alan Hansen for an equally all rounded CB in the UK - I am struggling to think of anyone as complete as Van Dijk since then....maybe Jaap Stam at United or Carvalho at Chelsea come closest?

NaturalNine

TIA New Signing
This. Most definitely, Looking back at title winning defenders in our top league I think you have to go back to Alan Hansen for an equally all rounded CB in the UK - I am struggling to think of anyone as complete as Van Dijk since then....maybe Jaap Stam at United or Carvalho at Chelsea come closest?
VVD is such a smooth operator, he makes everything look so easy. People have stopped being amazed at what he does, and gotten used to his consistent excellence. I am CERTAIN that there's no way we would have been so successful this season without him. He just makes everyone around him better, with his speed, leadership and reading of the game. The entire defence and the goalkeeper have all benefited from playing with him.

Honestly I think he's a victim of his own consistency. It's just ridiculous how good he is IMO.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Superb team performance, one of our beat under Klopp.

Fabinho had his best game in a Liverpool shirt if Im picking one player for MOTM but everyone did their job to a very high level.

Super impressed with Neco Williams looks like Trent a few years back. He’s a genuine first teamer if he continues to improve.

Hopefully Chelsea can do a job and we can get #19 in the record books tomorrow and then its ours no matter what happens next.

Flobs

FADA
Only negative point about VVD is his momentary lapses of concentration (he falls a sleep, probably why he likes to get forward to keep him on his toes). He does have the abiity and skills to cover these lapses mind.

[email protected]

Closest perhaps but still a distant, distant second. Virg is faster, bigger, more dominant, virtually impossible to get past. I dunno, if a mad scientist decided to create a monster CB he still wouldn't come up with VVD. I can honestly say in 2 and half decades of really watching the game I have never seen his like.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Virgil is a monster, man mountain, beast. Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer, he is the entire package. And all the greats learn how to adapt their game as they age, and Big Virg is no different. His defensive game is so nuanced, he’s such a brilliant player possessing the smarts to make up for an occasional mistake. And, he looks even fitter and leaner after lockdown. If that’s even possible.

I watched this wonderful masterpiece of a match back last night and there was a fair amount of talking going on between the lines. James McCarthy didn’t like the way Robbo landed on him elbows first (in the first five minutes) and kept yapping about it the entire first half. Robbo never responded just kept playing. There was something also going on between Big Virg and Ayew and Fab and Ayew. It seemed personal. By the end of the match Ayew looked such a broken and defeated man I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

Another thing that struck me last night, how often do we ever see Bobby on the floor? Literally, never. For a player that loves the ball at his feet and does his best work in such heavy traffic, he never goes down. Ever.

Noo Noo

Closest perhaps but still a distant, distant second. Virg is faster, bigger, more dominant, virtually impossible to get past. I dunno, if a mad scientist decided to create a monster CB he still wouldn't come up with VVD. I can honestly say in 2 and half decades of really watching the game I have never seen his like.
I used to love watching Franco Baresi play. Just nothing got past him at all. If the ball did the player wasn't but he was also really composed on the ball. He basically controlled games from the back.

One of VvD's early games for us the closest comparison I could come up with was the Kaiser himself, Beckenbauer. He also used to control games from the back but was never stretched, his positioning was that good.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Hmm, not sure about that. Gomez will never be as good as Van Dijk in the air.

Van Dijk is the most complete centre back I've ever seen personally.
Me too but I don't think anyone can say with any degree of certainty that Gomez won't be as good in the air in a few years. His reading of the game and composure are both outstanding for a player his age at CB. Who would have believed when Virgil was that he'd become the player he is!

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Big Paul McGrath belongs in that category and probably Adams too.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Last night was as good as you get as a performance, our best since Leicester or at least the Sheffield United game, dare I say it's the best game of PL project restart and one that it needed as before last night I sacked off all the 6pm games due to the boredom they had been inducing.