• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Liverpool v Manchester City ( Sunday 13th April)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
What a huge game! Has to be the most significant game of the season bar none, this game will go a big way in deciding the destination of the title, win this one and we will be 7 points clear of City.

Do we go for the jugular and play both Sterling and Coutinho or do we go for a stronger midfield to compete with Fernandinho and Toure and prevent them dominating and possibly over-running us by picking one of Allen or Lucas? I would like to see Allen and DAgger return to the side.

Want to to see this team:

......................................Mignolet.........................................
Johnson.............Skrtel...............DAgger...............Flanagan
...........Henderson..........Gerrard................Allen..................
......................................Coutinho........................................
.............Sturridge.....................................Genius................

Head says 1-1 but i'm predicting a 2-1 win with ex-City man Sturridge to grab the winner.

LFC7NH

Think we have to start Sterling in this one. He was our best player at the Etihad and has only gotten better since. His pace will exploit their back line as they won't be dropping deep to defend like the West Ham's of the league.

Same formation as above except bring in Sterling for Coutinho and Sakho for Agger if he's still injured.

SupaLFC

This will be a proper game. I feel as long as we don't concede early we should have the advantage. I highly doubt this will be a draw. If we play that diamong we should dominate in midfield imo. Let them have the wings. Play the team that started the second half v West Ham and have the opportunity to bring on Coutinho if the game needs some changing.

RedSeven

On the one road
A bit nervous about this one,due only to it's importance but if we play as well as we can i see no reason why we can't beat them this time.We deserved to win back in december so hopefully we do so now.

I think Stevie will have to be very careful this time out as i can see City trying to get him booked in order to miss the next couple of games.

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
City were where you before the oil money?

Let's go you Manc twats.

3-0 to us.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Wife's birthday, 10th wedding anniversary and perhaps THE key game in the fight for the title.

April 13th is going to be quite some day.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
13th April is my birthday. So I will be expecting a Liverpool in, which would be the best present (my girlfriend wont read this)

No idea how the game will go. Dont think we will blow them away like Arsenal. I think It will be very very close, and will be decided by a) a defensive mistake, and/or b) a refereeing mistake....

Suarez7LateralIncisor

TIA Regular
Chewbazza said:
Wife's birthday, 10th wedding anniversary and perhaps THE key game in the fight for the title.

Happy bday to the missus and congratulations on the 10yr notch. Hopefully you'll get the perfect trifecta of celebrations.

starshadow

Chewbazza said:

When we win, try not to show a bias as to whats the most important occasion that day, might get you in trouble :)

On this game its so important to this football club that I'm not going to bother thrash out a line up, I trust Rodgers to do that!

Just wanted to comment on this great season which has had amazing breakthroughs and inspiring performances...

Even If it ended with a third place finish for us its a testament to this team and manager that most of us would be slightly disappointed. But we really should not think of this season as an isolated incident beacuse the outlook for the future has not been this bright since we fell from our perch, we have emerging players coming into their own at the right age, superstars in attack, quite possibly our best player ever controlling things from the middle of the pitch and most importantly a young manager willing to learn and play the the football we want to see.

Its been a great season, i expect many more from these players and Rodgers, for now lets enjoy a top of the table clash with the two best attacking teams in the league, first and second place (Basically second place), at Anfield on the Hillsborough weekend no less the atmosphere will be electric.

I can't wait.

Poetry In Motion

Omnishambles
This will be a horrible game to watch. West Ham was nerve-racking, but the tension in this one will be unbearable. I'd welcome any team in Europe to Anfield just now, but I can't pretend I'm not shitting myself. Need to rise to the occasion. This is the biggest game we've played in years. Win this and there's one hand on the big trophy.

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
If we beat City it is fucking scary how very very close we are to the title with only Chelsea left stopping us in our way. Sending shivers down my spine.

starshadow

Carpe Diem said:
but I can't pretend I'm not shitting myself. Need to rise to the occasion. This is the biggest game we've played in years. Win this and there's one hand on the big trophy.
This is my strategy, its not working really well.

Very pass closer to our box will be like a dagger in my eye...

But oh well, lets just pretend..

lillypad_33

TIA New Signing
Carpe Diem said:
This will be a horrible game to watch. West Ham was nerve-racking, but the tension in this one will be unbearable. I'd welcome any team in Europe to Anfield just now, but I can't pretend I'm not shitting myself. Need to rise to the occasion. This is the biggest game we've played in years. Win this and there's one hand on the big trophy.
I totally disagree that this will be a horrible game to watch.
The West Ham game was horrible. That's because Liverpool were expected to win.

I think that you should sit back and enjoy the Man City game. This is a measuring stick game against a team that plays good football. If Liverpool lose, then it simply wasn't meant to be....but at least you lost the title in a one on one game against the team that will win the title. This really is a cup game. The atmosphere will be amazing, and the the football will be amazing.
Enjoy watching this. Liverpool might be the most entertaining team on the planet right now.
Sit back, drink a beer and enjoy.

I think we will see us return to the diamond formation for this one and for the first time I wouldn't mind too much. The game is likely to be won in the midfield and I think Rodger's will want to control that area given Man City's strength in Toure/Fernandinho/Silva. Our win against West Ham after switching to this formation in the 2nd half will no doubt further encourage Brendan to go with this formation.

My team would be as follows:

Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Flanagan​
Gerrard​
Hendo Allen​
Coutinho​
Suarez Sturridge​
Really hope we can take an half decent chance that comes to us because that is going to be crucial in determining the result. If we can score first I think we will go on to get a good win. Sterling to come on as an impact sub in the 2nd half.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Every game has been like a cup final for a while now but this one is EVEN more so. The 2 favourites for the PL head-to-head. This is gonna be a beast of a game. Doesn't even seem worth me trying to pick a team or discussing what tactic we should use. At this point I have full faith in whatever BR picks whether it be diamond, 4-3-3, Allen, Coutinho or Sterling. I'm sure everyone involved will do their best and they've done us proud whatever happens. Can't wait. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy this one.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
CJ_LFC said:
If we beat City it is fucking scary how very very close we are to the title with only Chelsea left stopping us in our way. Sending shivers down my spine.
"only"?

Carpe Diem said:
This is the biggest game we've played in years. Win this and there's one hand on the big trophy.
Call me superstitious, but we saw in Istanbul what happens when you put a hand on the trophy before the result is complete.

I want to get excited and I want to believe and the little kid inside me has been dancing for weeks, but my head keeps telling me to stay calm. I'm wary of hubris and tempting fate and all that. Greek tragedies repeatedly bring heroes to their knees.

Speaking of heroes though, we've got a hero in the making in Gerrard. We already knew that but his composure for all our recent penalties (except the rubber stamp one at Old Trafford) has been immense. Also that he has played as well as he has while one booking away from suspension for the last couple of matches is testament to his focus, concentration and professionalism. Those are the qualities that he and Rodgers need to inspire in everyone on our team. I was a bit concerned by Sturridge's selfishness against West Ham and his wayward shooting just compounded the problem. At this stage of the season it's about getting results. If your teammate is in a better position to score at nil-nil, 1-1 or even 2-1 up, you f*cking pass! We'll need to be far more ruthless against City if we're to keep this winning run going and have a shot at the title.

As far as line-up, I trust Rodgers will get his tactics right. City get their wingers forward into the attack so I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Sterling joining SAS up top. Our 3-man midfield should be able to cope with theirs, but it may mean Coutinho is on the bench for this one. I'd be hesitant to go with a 4-4-2 diamond because it will give them opportunities to go 2-v-1 on the wings when their full-backs push forward. That said, if they do that and we break quickly, we'll be more likely to get SAS 2v2 against their CBs, and I know who my money's on in that situation.

Regardless of who starts or what tactics Rodgers goes with, we'll need to be totally focused and hungrier than they are with more intensity from the get-go. We've got to push them really hard and finish our chances when they come. We can definitely do this. Yet another cup final and I have confidence our lads won't let us down.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Migs
Flanno
Skrtel
Sakho
Glen
Stevie
Hendo
Lucas
Sterling
Suarez
Sturridge

In the diamond. Bricking it already

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Is play sakho and I'd also play either Allen or Lucas as oppose to coutinho.

Hope we batter them but think it will be close. They're favourites which is good for us.

Be interesting to see if Sakho gets the nod ahead of Agger.

Fancy a Mignolet penalty save in atonement for the balls up at the emptyhad

SupaLFC

Tetteh_Dalglish said:
"only"?

Call me superstitious, but we saw in Istanbul what happens when you put a hand on the trophy before the result is complete.

I want to get excited and I want to believe and the little kid inside me has been dancing for weeks, but my head keeps telling me to stay calm. I'm wary of hubris and tempting fate and all that. Greek tragedies repeatedly bring heroes to their knees.

Speaking of heroes though, we've got a hero in the making in Gerrard. We already knew that but his composure for all our recent penalties (except the rubber stamp one at Old Trafford) has been immense. Also that he has played as well as he has while one booking away from suspension for the last couple of matches is testament to his focus, concentration and professionalism. Those are the qualities that he and Rodgers need to inspire in everyone on our team. I was a bit concerned by Sturridge's selfishness against West Ham and his wayward shooting just compounded the problem. At this stage of the season it's about getting results. If your teammate is in a better position to score at nil-nil, 1-1 or even 2-1 up, you f*cking pass! We'll need to be far more ruthless against City if we're to keep this winning run going and have a shot at the title.

As far as line-up, I trust Rodgers will get his tactics right. City get their wingers forward into the attack so I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Sterling joining SAS up top. Our 3-man midfield should be able to cope with theirs, but it may mean Coutinho is on the bench for this one. I'd be hesitant to go with a 4-4-2 diamond because it will give them opportunities to go 2-v-1 on the wings when their full-backs push forward. That said, if they do that and we break quickly, we'll be more likely to get SAS 2v2 against their CBs, and I know who my money's on in that situation.

Regardless of who starts or what tactics Rodgers goes with, we'll need to be totally focused and hungrier than they are with more intensity from the get-go. We've got to push them really hard and finish our chances when they come. We can definitely do this. Yet another cup final and I have confidence our lads won't let us down.
I agree about Sturridge, not too really concerned about his selfishness but there were times when he was walking and didn't chase back. That wont work against City. I think we should play the diamond and invite them upfield. Our two would get a free run at Demichelis.I also think we can out work them in midfield. We will need to watch the counter oursleves but 3 games and we should have won atleast 2, its about times imo

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I have a feeling the players will be well up for this one. I thought they seemed a little nervous against W Ham, esp. the front players, but that was probably down to the fear of slipping on an East End banana skin. Given our performances against our rivals this season, particularly at Anfield, I think they'll be supremely confident and will rip into City right from the off.

Obviously it won't be easy, though. Even if we take a three goal lead, City are capable of getting back into the game and making up that deficit.

As has been said above, I'd start with same team that started the second half against West Ham. We can't be too cavalier and we need to have enough stout hearts in midfield, so that rules Coutinho out.

Prediction: 2-1 to us and a heart attack inducing last 30 minutes.

SupaLFC

Oh yeah, and we should not make this game bigger than what it is, if we beat City and drop points in the other 4 its the same as if they took the points off us. They are all the same as it stands unless City drop points in other games

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Well well well. It all comes down to this. The biggest game in 24 seasons of Premier League football. Here it is.

Sakho has to start. That's about all I've got in terms of team selection.

Win this one, and we'll have tipped the cup towards ourselves. I think that we would almost certainly win the league if we win this one.

My god, did I just type that?

Status
Not open for further replies.