• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Stoke 1 - 0

Fullmetal

Jedi Knight
Mascot88 said:
The one that Begovic got his fingers to and pushed it onto the post? I don't see what Hendo could have done. It's was a simply outstanding save.
No that was in the 2nd half, i'm talking about the 34th min, he was put clean through by a stunning Coutinho pass, I feel that he failed to properly take his chance. His shot was straight at the keeper.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Dynames said:
No that was in the 2nd half, i'm talking about the 34th min, he was put clean through by a stunning Coutinho pass, I feel that he failed to properly take his chance. His shot was straight at the keeper.
Fair enough. He ain't a striker.

SF Red

TIA Regular
Dynames said:
Agree - he took the extra touch to put it on his weaker foot. Odd choice really.

I thought he was pretty good today. Lots of energy and got into the box well. i have rarely seen so many players getting into the box regularly for us.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
gb1986 said:
Arsenal have no place in a post-match thread in a game that Luis Suarez didn't even play.

Does anyone know if the full match is up anywhere yet? Just got in from work, i NEED to see this!
I'd suggest that laughing at our key opposition teams in the season is welcome everywhere on the forum as part of an overall on topic post :)

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
To be fair to Henderson, he would have scored today if Stoke hadn't had Superman in goal.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
gingerbread said:
Dear mother of God of Mignolet....

Can I call him Saint Mignolet from now on?
No you can't.

Saints are always called by their first names, but if he does that again feel free to start calling him Saint Simon!

Redbelly

TIA Youth Team
Very pleased with 3 points. Thought we played very well, just couldn't get anything past Begovic. I think this narrow win may actually be a good thing in the long run.

1) Mignolet made some good saves, and a penalty save. His confidence will only climb.

2) Sturridge isn't match fit and will only get better.

3) We weathered the Stoke storm (Literally, balls raining down from the heavens), a team that recently has given us problems.

4) Aspas looked good. Coutinho looked good. Lucas looked good. Toure looked good. Henderson looked good (pleasantly surprised he started, thought BR would go with Allen, and I feel Henderson was much more suited to the physicality of Stoke.)

5) With the new faces, Sterling can be brought on in the second half to run at tired defenses instead of feeling the pressure of starting at 18 years old.

6)) A big win would have us fans too overexcited, so a good hard fought victory will keep the management and us in check,

On a side note, since several have posted about Arsenal. I watched their game, and they don't need Suarez from us, they need Lucas. Villa just waltzed through their midfield and at the defenders repeatedly.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Just back in Dublin after being at the game (Big shout out to Kyle for lending me his fan card)..

Delighted with the result which looked like we would manage to throw points away 'The Liverpool Way' again...
Overall i'm happy with the result and more importantly the character of the team and how they all fought for each other. Team spirit seems really high which were noted with the team huddle before the game and the reaction to the penalty save...

On another day it could have been 4 or 5, hitting the woodwork a few times, handfull of great saves and the disallowed goal..
Although we still look a bit suspect at the back sometimes. Toure did well in defense but seems to lump it long every chance he got. I know he replaced Carra but that's taking the piss...

Lucas put a shift in today and was immense. He was reading the game well, clattering into challenges like a mad man and bossing the midfield. Speaking of mad men, haha Coutinho the hard man....got to love it. The sooner we get someone to play out wide and allow Coutin-ho-ho-ho make the centre his own the better for us all...

Apas, Sturridge and Hendo all did well enough too. There were some points in the game when our tempo nearly went to walking pace and we looked a bit flat. It's important to keep these teams on the backfoot until we are at least 2 goals clear. I hope and expect Rodgers to start drilling this into the players mindset this year. We need to see continual progress and need to improve on last year and today too...

Last mention for the atmosphere. I'm not sure how it sounded on the tv but apart from YNWA at the start and after the peno save the atmosphere was fairly dull. You got the feeling everyone was analysising the team and performance which crept into the mindset of the supporters. At one point the Stokes fan began chatting 'We are Stoke and we are passing the ball' which seemed like a dig at Tony Pullis which made me laugh...

That save, that reaction, that raw emotion could really set us up to kick on to something special...
Add to that the Suarez situation seems to be resolved for now, possible Willan signing, the kind fixture list and our new confidence, we really are in a decent position at the moment....

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Mascot88 said:
Fair enough. He ain't a striker.
That's as maybe, but he still should have done better with that chance, which was the original point.

Thought hendo was good throughout, and have to say, to miss goals, you have to get into the position to miss them.....

YNWAGerrard

What a confidence boosting win for the lads out there today! I'm very impressed with how the team performed and I hope we can keep putting in consistent performances.
Kudos to mignolet for that astonishing penalty save

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Sort of an ideal opening game. Lots of identifiable elements to work on, a close call to ward off any sense of complacency or overconfidence, and 3 points on the board.

Rastafenian

Awesome feeling after that one!. Was following the bbc live update on a slow connection in indonesia whilst waiting to board a plane haha, just watched the replay now at home and yes you could be critical about the missed chances but Begovic had, as usual, a brilliant game against us. Think the boys are really pleased with the license to express themselves on the pitch and we will only get better as the fitness builds

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
redbj said:
That's as maybe, but he still should have done better with that chance, which was the original point.

Thought hendo was good throughout, and have to say, to miss goals, you have to get into the position to miss them.....
Agree with this. Played well overall, but to say he's not a striker and to shrug it off that way is missing the point as I thought lack of production was one of the main reason(s) why Downing was let go.

fcukManU

still a dani pacheco stan
I'm very pleased with our attacking play in this game, the chances we created in this game were more than satisfactory! Happy for Brendan and the boys.

Hope we can routinely murder the teams we're usually expected to win against, Man Utd style. :p

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Lovely stuff from the lads today but i have to point out that seems the age old problem of finishing raised it's ugly head again. To put a positive spin on that, we seem to create a lot more chances and our strikers were either in the right place or pulling defenders away for our midfield to strike.

Oh, and the ref was a real twat!!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
YNWAGerrard said:
What a confidence boosting win for the lads out there today! I'm very impressed with how the team performed and I hope we can keep putting in consistent performances.
Kudos to mignolet for that astonishing penalty save

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Good win today against a side that always gives us problems.
Fantastic from Mignolet, any penalty saved is a bonus and that gave us 3 points.

First game of the season, was not unhappy with anyone today, except Begovic :p He had a blinder.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
craig bellamy's golf club said:
Lovely stuff from the lads today but i have to point out that seems the age old problem of finishing raised it's ugly head again. To put a positive spin on that, we seem to create a lot more chances and our strikers were either in the right place or pulling defenders away for our midfield to strike.

Oh, and the ref was a real twat!!
We should console ourselves that there'll be only one other game in which Bergovic will be between the opposition posts this season.....as long as we don't draw Stoke in the cups and he's not sold in January that is.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
EdWood said:
We should console ourselves that there'll be only one other game in which Bergovic will be between the opposition posts this season.....as long as we don't draw Stoke in the cups and he's not sold in January that is.
I would think Butland would be playing in the Cups anyway.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
EdWood said:
Have to admit he was excellent...........should of bought him... ^_^

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
EdWood said:
It's quite amazing really. I watched the highlights on MOTD and you would have actually sworn that Stoke had made a game of it. I can only surmise that the editor responsible was either a Stoke fan (unlikely), a bitter fan (equally unlikely), or a manure fan (hmmmm....).
MOTD made it look very even. We were far better than them in the 1st half and then allowed them into it in the second. we saw a few extra attempts in the analysis after the highlights but not enough.

To be fair they barely spoke about stoke tho