• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Stoke 1 - 0

rivers7

TIA New Signing
In football it sometimes happens that you don´t score 6 and instead you end up with solitary goal. It does not mean that there´s huge problems in team. There´s far more positives to take from this than negatives.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Anyone know where I can find the graphical view of the players' average position during this game? Thanks.

Red_IndianLFC

TIA New Signing
Had to go out of town so ended up missing the game completely. Hoping you chaps can quickly bring me up to speed.

How did we line up? Was Couti in the middle with hendo on the left, like Newcastle last season? Or was the other way round?

How did Aspas do on the right? Did he show enough to be on the right wing on a regular basis? Also, how is his tracking back? Is he solid enough to play on the right away against the big boys?

If Willian comes in and Suarez returns, should hendo and aspas both lose their places, based on today?

How was Mignolet's distribution?

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Couple of errors early on. No issues second half. Players stopped using him as an outball after the shakey start

Herb

Red_IndianLFC said:
Had to go out of town so ended up missing the game completely. Hoping you chaps can quickly bring me up to speed.

How did we line up? Was Couti in the middle with hendo on the left, like Newcastle last season? Or was the other way round?

How did Aspas do on the right? Did he show enough to be on the right wing on a regular basis? Also, how is his tracking back? Is he solid enough to play on the right away against the big boys?

If Willian comes in and Suarez returns, should hendo and aspas both lose their places, based on today?

Hendo right, Aspas central, Coutinho left. Aspas wasn't wide very often but he pressed and harried well and created a few chances with some nice touches. I dunno who would drop out, think it will depend on the opposition. Shaky at times, he was slow a few times and hit the ball against a charging player. He was clearly nervous though as his all round play was quite error prone other than the pen save and another good save.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
costared said:
I hope Brendan picks out the negatives like Rich otherwise we will not improve.We do need more pace in midfield and against a mobile ,aggressive front 3 like Villas we might need a proper DM next week.
Obviously we have to be pleased with yesterday but not complacent.
Yes, the boss should always look for the weak points of a performance and work on those in training in the following week. That's what good coaches do, deconstruction, evaluation, analysis and planned/structured training.

However, how many times in recent memory have we drawn at home? How many times in the past few seasons have a team "parked the bus" and we've just stood there and looked at it? How many times have we hit the ground hung over to fruck and barely capable of jogging let alone running? Anemic pre-seasons and lackluster starts have been our hallmarks of late.

Not this season though. The new boys have looked (after getting over Anfield nerves) solid and Cou and Sturridge are picking up where they left of. Add Suarez into the mix with Aspas and we have a seriously dangerous front line. This time last season we had one sharp tooth in a mouthful of gums, now we have a row of uber sharp canines ready to chomp on anybody we face. Absolutely every pun intended.

My point? Don't look for the negative when we're already about 80% better at the start of this season than the start of last.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
I was more than happy with the result and wasn't moaning about it not being 5 or 6-0, the Stoke keeper was outstanding and he was the reason why it was 1-0. Main area of concern for me was the defense, we are still vulnerable! I was hoping this would have been rectified before the campaign began, however Lady Luck smiled upon us and we deservedly won. Even when Stoke were awarded their penalty I knew MignO Man would save it, don't as me why I knew but I did! His nervousness was understandable in the first half - especially playing in front of the Kop! Simon the Belgian(my Mum was from Antwerpen - no jokes please lads!) will do us proud this season, as will Kolo Toure who will bag a few goals this season from corners/set pieces. Hendo I predict to score at least ten this season, yesterday was about fine tuning his boots!
More positives than negatives for me!

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Red_IndianLFC said:

There is two putlocker links on page 10 I think where you can watch it again

Verbal80

104TOSH said:
I do have a moan to air though - I was hoping Ibe would have got a run out!!! It was young Sterling who gave away the free kick which lead to the penalty being conceded!!! Ah well, all worked out well in the end - well done Simon!!!
Uh oh😕are we in danger of mud slinging!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I thought the free kick was a bit harsh on Sterling. The Stoke lad was running in to contest a ball practically at waist height. And anyway, how high is Sterling's boot ever going to be?

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
was very brief in my praise post match. elaborating a but now, no better way to start Monday morning at work!!

Thought Lucas was immense. He seems to have no fear going into the tackle now which is a massive plus. Thought he might have had that in back of his mind going into the tackle last season. if we can get Lucas fighting fit and his passing range right we will have a massive player in a very important posuition for us. Hoping for a very good season from Lucas and hope it warrants a spot on the Brazil team. Definitely deserves it judging by professionalism and determination.

Henderson did ok, his finishing let him down and was the difference from being a good game rather than a very good one. we cant afford to go into the last twenty minutes of games only 1-0, especially after creating a hatful of chances. Someone more clinical might end up taking his spot, but he did well and he's getting better and better.

Kolo Toure, what a guy. Love this fella already, big talk of backing him for first goal, that was a powerful header and him alone has made us dangerous from set pieces. Very likeable fella and showing great passion for the club already, looking at reactions to goals and penalty save.

Mignolet drew a line under hiss haky start with a match winning contribution. What a buzz, the pub i was on went bananas and a powerful rendeition of "belgian keeper' was belted out. Brilliant. Hopefully he can be more convincing on crosses which i am sure he will be. Great save from walters volley too, brave decsion by Rodgers on the whole this goalkeeper switch but it might just be the change at the back we need to eradicate silly errors that blighted us for a season or so with pepe in nets.

Overall great team performance, Daniel Sturridge 25/1 to be top goalscorer, surely worth a punt. Looks a different plasyer to his perfomances on the wing for Chelsea. So happy with his signing for 12m. Real steal.

We were just saying in the pub, imagine a young Sami Hyypia signing for us now, knowing we had ten years or so of him and his aerial ability + reading of the game. Would transform us into title challenegers he would.

Pour a little liquor out for sami hyypia lads, YNWA.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
costared said:
I hope Brendan picks out the negatives like Rich otherwise we will not improve.We do need more pace in midfield and against a mobile ,aggressive front 3 like Villas we might need a proper DM next week.
Obviously we have to be pleased with yesterday but not complacent.
A proper DM?

As opposed to the one who was in many eyes the best player on the field yesterday.

Oh and is our DM's job to mark there front 3 and if so what will our defence be doing? Chasing a lot of through balls for said guys to run onto while we give Villa plenty of space in midfield?

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
ptt said:
Aspas did well and Gerrard and Lucas were OK? Man Rich, if winning the first game of the season doesn't light your fire give Suarez was out and we've a new keeper, CB and reletively new manager, very little will. Honestly mate, it was a great performance, dissecting all the negative points does not a happy chappy make :)
While i was very happy with the three points and overall happy, choosing to ignore the negatives is something Rodgers wont do. Not many of course but it was very very close to be same old story. We managed to win through a heroic double save at the death, it shoudlnt be the way at home to Stoke. It should be more convincing. Still finding out feet and 3 points on the board is all that matters. I'm sure Rodgers will avoid dampening team spirits by painting a negative picture but some of the same weaknesses from last season wwere still noticeable against stoke.

EDIT: additional input

5times retweeted

John Aldridge@Realaldo474

1d

Plenty of positives today,negatives only lacking the killer touch and set plays and corners against still problematic.But the start needed.

View details·

OhYaBeauty

Tactical Notes

Just one formation really this time, a 4-2-1-3 with fullbacks pushed very far forward and Lucas and Gerrard up the pitch as well. Aspas and Sturridge interchanged centrally and on the right and Coutinho frequently cut inside. Henderson actually stayed central for most of the game(as opposed to moving wide to fill Coutinho's vacant space) while the fullbacks added the width.

So we went with the 4-2-1-3 that I've been complaining about throughout preseason because of how much room it allows the opponent's midfield to dictate play. Luckily for us, we were playing Stoke and it worked a treat. Without any real playmaker for Stoke, we came under no real threat from passes from deep to dangerous positions.

Part of that was because of Henderson's outstanding work rate off the ball. He might have had limited touches offensively, but his closing down justified his inclusion. Further, Johnson, Enrique and Lucas at times stepped forward to close down space and prevent Stoke from possessing the ball. This was very similar to the Barcelona ideals that we expect Rodgers to bring into our style of play. We haven't seen it to this extent yet, but our quick pressing game completely denied Stoke any opportunity to play the more possession-based style that they've supposedly been working on in preseason.

Lucas played a very interesting role today. For me it was reminiscent of the player that arrived from Gremio; not so much a defensive midfielder as a box-to-box player that offers something in attack as well as defense. He played multiple balls forward into the box and seemed to have far more vision and mobility going forward than we've seen post injury. He also played in a slightly forward role; where he once stuck between the central defenders as a pure outlet, he now moves forward into space when in possession to offer an option for a quick pass. Watch this space; the way his passing and mobility develops will greatly influence our play this season.

The 4-5-1 is probably the most popular formation in the Premier League, with most mid-table and relegation-threatened sides using it because of the defensive solidity. We showed today that we can still dominate the midfield with 3 against a 4-5-1 which will be hugely important against the likes of Sunderland, Southampton, Hull, Villa, and many more teams. This allows us to play three very offensive minded players to break down the parked bus.

Player Notes

Kolo Toure offered a real aerial threat, winning headers in Stoke's box in both halves and getting on the end of chances that probably should have resulted in goals. I think he's likely to grab a few goals this season, and it’s a delight for me to see a player who seems the perfect foil for Agger who can still fit in with a possession based system.

Lucas played further forward than we've seen in a long time. Instead of sitting deep while in possession he moved up to areas just outside the box to offer a close outlet pass. This (rather than sitting between the central defenders to let out a longer outlet pass) allowed us to keep pressure on the opposition even when we were recycling the ball to attack at another point. His interchanges with Coutinho and Henderson were impressive and he played a lot of good forward passes, including some into the box. If he continues like this in the season it will have a very large impact in our style of play.

Henderson only had a few touches offensively but played very well. He closed down well, put a couple good shots on target, and got into good positions. I expect a bit more from him, but he did all that I'd ask of him. Stuff just didn't fall for him. Coutinho played on the wing again and was brilliant again. I think this was an ideal match to use him in the middle because of how poor Stoke was at handling him, but he showed he's still special wide.

Jose Enrique played well. He's still hopeless in the opponent's half, but he's still strong as an ox defensively and quicker than most wingers he'll face. I was impressed by his agility against Stoke; I knew he had straight line speed but his change of direction was as good as I've seen it. Johnson was pretty stellar on the right as well.

Team Effort

There were two moments in the match that I enjoyed more than anything else. Neither was Sturridge's goal. I absolutely loved seeing Iago Aspas' beaming smile as he ran to Sturridge after the opener, followed by the entire team showing up to congratulate the scorer. You can really tell that there's great morale in the dressing room, which can only be a benefit to the team going into an important season. My second favorite moment wasn't Mignolet's double save, it was the moment just after it. The team was absolutely ecstatic, and although you'd expect it, you wouldn't always expect to see the team look so tight-knit as they did.

Liverpool players show team spirit following Sturridge's goal and Mignolet's save.

Gerrard was hugely influential as you'd expect, though I thought he was different to what we saw last season. Instead of leading entirely by example as we're accustomed to seeing, he seemed noticeably more vocal. He really didn't pull the strings as much as we're used to; allowing Lucas and some of the defenders to play forward passes. He did seem to arrange the shape of the team via hand gestures and such, and I think this signals him moving further into the Xabi/Pirlo role that we're used to seeing from him. It also shows he's stepping up the vocal side of his captaincy in the absence of Carra.

Gerrard wasn't the only leader on the pitch, though. I thought Toure and Agger both lead from the back by being vocal organizers of the defense, and Lucas seemed to do the same. Mignolet lead in a different sort of way, almost in a way I'm more accustomed to seeing from Gerrard. He made mistakes early on (more on that later) and was noticeably quiet following his gaffes. But he stepped up soon after and was a big presence in defense before ultimately winning the game for us in the dying moments. Very exciting to see a big presence at the back even after sending off Pepe.

Something that sort of dovetails with the effort and leadership shown on the pitch against Stoke is how well we did at winning second balls. It doesn't always happen for us, but it did in this one. We seemed like we always picked up loose balls because our shape allowed us to move midfielders and defenders in positions where they sort of backed up their more forward thinking teammates. This effectively gave us the ball a second time after we lost it. Having second chances in games is hugely important and I hope we can keep it up; its easier to win when things fall your way.

Aspas

Towards the close of preseason I frequently wrote on how it was odd that he wasn't playing as a right forward despite the fact that he's most likely to play there when Sturridge occupies the central role. I thought it odd that he wasn't getting game time where he'd most likely be used this season. Well he did just fine today in that role. He interchanged well with Sturridge, got in central positions, was an outlet out wide, and was a threat. Time will tell, but signs are promising he'll be able to cut it in a slightly unfamiliar role out wide.

I still think he goes down a bit easy looking for a challenge, mostly because of a heavy first touch. Several times his first touch goes about 8 feet away, and he needs to hustle into a situation where he goes down instead of riding a challenger and pushing on. Its something that he can work on: both keeping his first touches closer, and not going down at slight shoulder contact against big EPL central defenders.

Mignolet

Well he was shaky at first, no? But shades of Dudek more than acquitted him of any possible blame. He could not have started his Liverpool career any better and I for one am excited to see if this confidence booster will carry on through the season.

Winners?

No I'm not suggesting we didn't actually win. I'm talking about mentality here. Kolo Toure looked seriously upset after just missing chances in Stoke's penalty box in both halves. Daniel Sturridge gives this look like he's angry with himself for not scoring on a half chance from wide left. Our players make themselves accountable. I wouldn't have expected either to score those chances, but they did. That shows they're winners, and I'm glad we finally have some of those in the squad after bouncing the likes of Downing out the door.

Its also important to note that they weren't the sort of disappointed that sulks after missing a chance. The were more the sort of disappointed that spurs you on to better things later in the match, like Sturridge's goal and Kolo's generally excellent play.

I only saw one negative from this match, really. That's that we didn't score more. And for me, I don't think that'll be a huge problem for this season. If Aspas and Sturridge show the desire they showed today, we'll bag goals. Throw Luis back into the mix and we're dangerous. Add another attacker? Deadly.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Fantastic stuff OYB.

Keep them coming, they're really good reads. Think Henderson warranted a bigger mention, he was everywhere and desperately unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet.

It's crystal clear that we are now progressing really nicely.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Great post (as always) OYB.

The think that's pleased me most about this result is that we ground it out. Too many times in the past we've let 1-0 leads slip from our grasp. This time we hung on in there. Yes we should have scored more based on the numerous chances we created, but the teams that are successful need to grind out these kinds of games.

3 points in the bag. Villa are going to be a real test next weekend, but they're also playing mid week so may be a bit tired. Hoping for another good performance and hopefully 3 comfortable points.

tesh

TIA New Signing
rupzzz said:
Great post (as always) OYB.

The think that's pleased me most about this result is that we ground it out. Too many times in the past we've let 1-0 leads slip from our grasp. This time we hung on in there. Yes we should have scored more based on the numerous chances we created, but the teams that are successful need to grind out these kinds of games.

3 points in the bag. Villa are going to be a real test next weekend, but they're also playing mid week so may be a bit tired. Hoping for another good performance and hopefully 3 comfortable points.
In the end we were luck to get the three points. The vast majority of penalties are put away and the fact that a lucky save, saved our blushes then we have to be and should be worried about not putting more goals past Stoke.

It wasn't a ground out result where we played poorly, defended resolutely and nicked the three point with a sneaky goal. No, we played very well, to the point where the defenders were almost reduced to being spectators (apart from when handing out penalties...) and we should have stuck a hand full past their keeper. However, in the end were lucky to escape with the victory!

No, there was no "grinding" out of a result here and no this is not what great teams do.

R

RedRiot

There's that handy old cliche about champions and 1-0 victories. Think it will have meant more to the squad yesterday to have won like they did than to have gotten the result their performance deserved. Begovic was immense (and not in the keeper comes to Anfield, has best performance of his season sense) but world class, saving 5-6 certain goals immense. If I wasn't so pleased with Mignolet, I'd be upset we didn't manage to land him to replace Reina. Every aspect of his performance was incredible. His reaction times and reflexes may be the best in Europe right now. In his own six-yard box, he's easily one of the best in the world.

Speaking of keeping, although he got off to a rocky start, I was glad to see Mignolet make a couple of excellent stops of his own. Who knows what Reina would have done on the penalty, but I'm not confident he would have stopped the follow-up, and I also feel one of those long-range efforts would have gone sailing past him as he dived belatedly to stop it. I loved Reina as a player for us and as a character, but the number of shots that ended up looking like world-class strikes when they were anything but was starting to really get irritating. He had a knack for making a world-class save on every 20th shot or so, but equally whiffed at shots that he should have easily gotten to, because of what seemed like decreased concentration or reaction time. Mignolet should prove to be a significant improvement on that, even if he still doesn't look to be much of an improvement on balls in the air.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
tesh said:
In the end we were luck to get the three points. The vast majority of penalties are put away and the fact that a lucky save, saved our blushes then we have to be and should be worried about not putting more goals past Stoke.

It wasn't a ground out result where we played poorly, defended resolutely and nicked the three point with a sneaky goal. No, we played very well, to the point where the defenders were almost reduced to being spectators (apart from when handing out penalties...) and we should have stuck a hand full past their keeper. However, in the end were lucky to escape with the victory!

No, there was no "grinding" out of a result here and no this is not what great teams do.
I have to disagree. We did grind the result out by continueing to be positive throughout the match after a number of chances were missed. Go back a year from now and we would have seen heads drop after missing chances, and Stoke build pressure as we started to falter in positivity.

We were not lucky with the penalty either. Yes the majority are put away, but it takes a good keeper, and good work from the backroom staff to learn how each penalty taker takes their kicks. It was said during interviews etc that they had looked at how Walters takes a penno, and in the end Mignolet pulled off a cracking double save. It was a positive attitude that prevailed here coupled with confidence.

Guess we need to agree to disagree. Last year, I feel we would have drawn or lost this game if we were still at 1-0 60 mins through the game. This year at 1-0 with half an hour to go the way the team worked hard and kept positive pleased me and in the end we deservedly won. Ok you can argue a penno miss does involve luck, but Stoke were also very lucky to only concede one. It's the subtle differences that allowed us to take the three points - ground out hard.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
rupzzz said:
I have to disagree. We did grind the result out by continueing to be positive throughout the match after a number of chances were missed. Go back a year from now and we would have seen heads drop after missing chances, and Stoke build pressure as we started to falter in positivity.

We were not lucky with the penalty either. Yes the majority are put away, but it takes a good keeper, and good work from the backroom staff to learn how each penalty taker takes their kicks. It was said during interviews etc that they had looked at how Walters takes a penno, and in the end Mignolet pulled off a cracking double save. It was a positive attitude that prevailed here coupled with confidence.

Guess we need to agree to disagree. Last year, I feel we would have drawn or lost this game if we were still at 1-0 60 mins through the game. This year at 1-0 with half an hour to go the way the team worked hard and kept positive pleased me and in the end we deservedly won. Ok you can argue a penno miss does involve luck, but Stoke were also very lucky to only concede one. It's the subtle differences that allowed us to take the three points - ground out hard.
Spot on this, this was a game we'd have drawn or (more likely) lost with that many missed chances last season.

It's by no means amazing but it's satisfying to see us getting points where we would have dropped them last year, need to make sure we do the same on Saturday and get some momentum

tesh

TIA New Signing
SoueysTash said:
Spot on this, this was a game we'd have drawn or (more likely) lost with that many missed chances last season.

It's by no means amazing but it's satisfying to see us getting points where we would have dropped them last year, need to make sure we do the same on Saturday and get some momentum
Satisfying yes, but one game is too early to say this will now be the trend. Let us hope it is.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
tesh said:
Satisfying yes, but one game is too early to say this will now be the trend. Let us hope it is.
SoueysTash said:

No one said it would be a trend...........

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I wasn't actually there but I loved this short compilation of videos from people who were...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjESmyeK-jk