• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool v Stoke 1 - 0



Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
6,797
I must admit, I've never seen Lucas this offensive before, he was like a whole new player. He put pressure on stoke players just outside their box :shock: He usually doesn't even get close to the opponents box all game, but he was several times in this one, deserve some praise for that, hope he will keep playing like this which will hopefully result in more goals for the team, even with him adding some, I mean you gotta be up there to score, right. Definitely a step in the right direction :thumbright:
 

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
3,930
Some real positives (work rate of most of the players, lots of great passing, abundance of opportunities, teamwork)
Shakiness at the back will give me a heart attack.
Would like to see Daniel make some more passes.
Great to get the win.
 

Polito

New Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2013
Messages
237
Great start to the season, always hardest to win your first game as no team wants to start off defeated. Hopefully some of the supporters questioning Mignolets signing will get behind him now. Sturidge-Coutinho-Aspas link up play was brilliant at times and very encouraging. Lucas was a beast and i have a feeling Hendersons gonna get 10 plus goals this season. Start as you mean to go on.
 

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Moderator
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
23,633
Quagmire81 said:
I must admit, I've never seen Lucas this offensive before, he was like a whole new player. He put pressure on stoke players just outside their box :shock: He usually doesn't even get close to the opponents box all game, but he was several times in this one, deserve some praise for that, hope he will keep playing like this which will hopefully result in more goals for the team, even with him adding some, I mean you gotta be up there to score, right. Definitely a step in the right direction :thumbright:
That is a lot more like his style of play when he was at Gremio. His simultaneous move to the UK and conversion to a holding midfielder was quite a learning curve.
 



Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
6,797
Arminius said:
That is a lot more like his style of play when he was at Gremio. His simultaneous move to the UK and conversion to a holding midfielder was quite a learning curve.
I know mate, I was never a fan of that transformation, or understood why it was necessary for the sake of the team, we lost a lot of ground back when Rafa pretty much lost his job cause he was forcing the Mascherano/lucas pair to work out, after Xabi left, and of course by buying a injured aquilani, but even when he was fit again he kept the masch/leiva pair tho it was way under standard. Controversial opinion I know.

He havent won me over, far from it, but if he keeps playing that way and show desire to get involved in the offensive then he surely has a chance of doing so.
 

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
15,792
Quagmire81 said:
I know mate, I was never a fan of that transformation, or understood why it was necessary for the sake of the team, we lost a lot of ground back when Rafa pretty much lost his job cause he was forcing the Mascherano/lucas pair to work out, after Xabi left, and of course by buying a injured aquilani, but even when he was fit again he kept the masch/leiva pair tho it was way under standard. Controversial opinion I know.

He havent won me over, far from it, but if he keeps playing that way and show desire to get involved in the offensive then he surely has a chance of doing so.
Don't think so.

I thought the Masch/Lucas partnership was absolutely awful, completely ineffective. One of the reasons we performed so poorly in the league that year.
 

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
6,797
ILLOK said:
Don't think so.

I thought the Masch/Lucas partnership was absolutely awful, completely ineffective. One of the reasons we performed so poorly in the league that year.
No doubt about it.

It's just taboo to say anything bad about Rafa and lucas for many fans.
 

Bobbinho

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,700
For me the only negative was undoubtedly conceding a pen in the 89th minute when it looked like we had the 3 points all but wrapped up, i felt we out played Stoke & were good for the win, would have felt like a loss if we'd finished with a draw, can't afford to be making individual errors like that at this level, last season we seemed to be plagued with them.

I think Agger seriously owe's Mignolet a drink for those save's.
 



RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2006
Messages
720
First things first...as a fan following the game in India where we are used to almost half the games being telecast live every week, it was disappointing to see the LFC game being telecast on/for the HD channel viewers. There has been a furore here on this and all of us hope Fox/Star TV will change their ways, but there is still uncertainty.

Coming back to football, I had to wait till I watched extended highlights of the game. I thought we played fluent football. The I half was especially great. Henderson & Couthinho were too good. Aspas & Sturridge were linking up well. Stevie & Lucas were also looking good. A 1-0 scoreline at half time didn't probably reflect how we played. But the defense did look a bit iffy. There was already an effort from Stoke which came off the bar. Mignolet had to pull off a good save towards the end of the I half too.

II half was certainly not that entertaining from both team's perspective. OK, we should have put the game to sleep long before the penalty incident. Mignolet's double save was probably the defining moment of this game. There is a whole lot of difference between winning & drawing the opening game. And we did win. 3 Points, lying in seventh.

I had hoped that both Manu & Spurs would drop points, but both won tricky fixtures. But's let's concentrate on winning the next!!